A Weightlifter Who Benches (p 6 NSFW)

Post your training journals here if you like. I'll make back-ups to avoid losing your data.

Moderator: Dux

Sassenach
ironslinger

Re: Lifting and Locquaciousness

Post by Sassenach » Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:49 am

Mine are cuter.
Kazuya Mishima wrote:they can pry the bacon from my cold dead hand.

Gary
Gunny

Post by Gary » Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:55 am

For the record...

If the thread about strap on mommas didn't reveal my barely bridled homosexuality, this latest tangent in my training forum should do the trick.

Just in case...this ought to do it for sure: http://www.hermaphroditeheaven.com

Ed, you're welcome!
I'm 'a fuck you till you love me, white boy.

powerlifter54
Sergeant Commanding

Re: Lifting and Locquaciousness (Now NSFW)

Post by powerlifter54 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:46 pm

Gene the Great has black Asics and blue Puma lifting shoes.

i just use RDC's myself...

"Start slowly, then ease off". Tortuga Golden Striders Running Club, Pensacola 1984.

"But even snake wrestling beats life in the cube, for me at least. In measured doses."-Lex

Kazuya Mishima
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Kazuya Mishima » Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:33 pm

Gary wrote:For the record...

If the thread about strap on mommas didn't reveal my barely bridled homosexuality, this latest tangent in my training forum should do the trick.

Just in case...this ought to do it for sure: http://www.hermaphroditeheaven.com

Ed, you're welcome!
One word..."futanari".

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:17 pm

Man I like your training log.
Southern Hospitality Is Aggressive Hospitality

Gary
Gunny

Post by Gary » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:32 pm

powerlifter54 wrote:Image

Gene the Great has black Asics and blue Puma lifting shoes.

i just use RDC's myself...

But how do we know if these shoes will hold up under heavy weight?

Gary
Gunny

Post by Gary » Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:22 am

Press out of Rack
,65 x 6
,95 x 3
115 x 2
125 x 1
135 x 1
145 x 0
115 x 3, x3, x3
120 x 3, x3
125 x 3
130 x 2

Chin Up @ 176
,+0 x 6
+25 x 5
+45 x 3
+65 x 2
+90 x 1
+25 x 4, x4, x4, x4, x4

No chance with 145. Dropped to 115 and felt really strong on the third triple, so started adding. Slowed on second rep with 130 and stopped there. Shut down with a shaky +90 on chins. Presses a little stronger these days though no PR; but can press 130-135 without cleaning it first. All reps done strict. "Head through" on presses and full extension to touching pecs to bar on chins.

Knees feeling very good this evening. Not their best, but far better than they have lately. Let's review: stopped squatting a couple days ago. Only snatched my piddly weights which is like a very light overhead squat as far as my knees are concerned. Not squatting again this week. Let's see what effect that has.

For future, I like a Tu-Th-Sa-Su schedule. Session one "bag" of snatch, c&j and front or back squat. Eventually want to try two front squats per week and one back. Right now, none. Eventually back squat for Smolov next month. Then later on more front squats to see if how that affects classic lift progress. Bench and row or press and chin in evenings or alternate days.

Gary
Gunny

Post by Gary » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:47 am

Ed Zachary wrote:Man I like your training log.
That one was for you, Ed. I was saving it up. Belated happy birthday.

Shameless man-crush below...

You can bet your sweet bippy that I'm dancing around to this...

http://www.ironscene.com/videos/1454_py ... s_training

My fascination with WL is not new. I've always loved WL and Dimas has always been my favorite lifter, possibly my favorite athlete (not really into other sports besides weightlifting and powerlifting).

Gary
Gunny

Re: A Weightlifter Who Benches (p 6 NSFW)

Post by Gary » Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:08 pm

Snatch
,30 kg x1 high, x1 high, x1 high, x1 high, x1
,40 kg x1 high, x miss, x miss, x1
,50 kg x miss, x miss, x1, x1
,55 kg x miss, x1
,60 kg x miss, x miss, x miss
,40 kg x1 + 3 overhead squats

Started with Dutch Lowy stuff and a few long pulls and overhead squats with the bar. Everything felt heavy and slow. Maybe I should keep the broomstick and 15 kg bar warm ups. Got under the 60 kg on the second attempt but couldn't fix it in place. I only managed 3 hours of sleep last night and that may have something to do with it. Back later for cleans.

Clean
,40 kg x1, x1, x1, x1, x1
,50 kg x1, x1, x1
,60 kg x1, x1
,70 kg x1, 1 (left knee brush), x1
,80 kg x miss (misload, meant for 75)
,60 kg x 1
,70 kg x1
,74 kg x1
,76 kg x1 PR
,78 kg x miss

Clean & Power Jerk
,40 kg x1
,50 kg x1
,60 kg x1
,65 kg x1
,70 kg x clean no jerk
,60 kg x1, x2
,65 kg x1, x1
,70 kg x1
,75 kg x clean w/slight pressout, x clean w/ right knee brush and slight pressout

The second run of c&j was much more explosive, much better form. Matt got there in time to see the second 65 and 70. He didn't have any criticisms which says a lot because he's pretty critical about speed and form. The bar felt so alive and springy with 70 that I thought I'd do better than I did w/ 75.

Really got better on the double knee bend the second time around and resetting my grip on the bounce after the clean. Touch point is still very low on the thighs, but I have really long arms and I don't see this improving much.

Left shoulder stll hurting around medial delt, but felt better as I went along. Hurt same area in the right shoulder by yanking on one of those missed cleans.
Last edited by Gary on Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Really Big Strong Guy

Post by Really Big Strong Guy » Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:39 pm

Gary,
Your evolution is very similar to my own. The speed lifts are captivating. I suck at them, but I suck less than I did when I started so it's all relative. Keep up the good work.

And the log is entertaining.
The cool thing about training is that becoming more sexy is just a side effect........

Gary
Gunny

Post by Gary » Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:35 pm

Really Big Strong Guy wrote:Gary,
Your evolution is very similar to my own. The speed lifts are captivating. I suck at them, but I suck less than I did when I started so it's all relative. Keep up the good work.

And the log is entertaining.
Thanks and amen, RBSG. Even though my numbers are low, my spirit soars like the mighty eagle when I finally hit it just right and the weight that was giving me trouble flies up like the bar is empty.

Right now I'm almost as good as the strongest woman in the local WL club. Progress! My goal is to be as powerful as the female Olympians three weight classes below mine.

Gary
Gunny

Post by Gary » Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:26 am

Fell asleep almost as soon as I got home, but woke up just a few hours later, a little before midnight. Only got a few hours last night and thought for sure I'd be tired enough to sleep through this time.

Got up and drained the left knee again. 25 cc of bloodless amber came out without a hitch. A few floaties, but nothing significant. Went back in for one more draw and got 6 cc absolutely full of rice bodies. So much of the stuff that it formed distinct clouds. I suspect that I'm finally getting out the damaged bits that clog the synovial lining and prevent the reabsoprtion of the fluid. Time will tell.

As frustrated as I am about my low WL numbers--especially relative to the strength I thought I had--I'm still feeling elated over how good my last couple of singles with 65 and 70 kg felt on the clean and jerk yesterday. Quick acceleration heading into the second pull, double knee bend, nice touch point on the thighs and the bar just floated up while I descended to a nice, strong, deep catch without my torso crumpling. Jerk was solid too.

I want to be cleaning and jerking 90 and snatching 70 like right now...and I really want 100 and 80 @ 80 before too long (yes, I know the convention is to list the snatch first). It's only been a week that I've actually been using weight on these movements, however. And now I'll be heading to Orlando and then probably to Dallas then back to Orlando for Christmas and then maybe out to California or Nevada to spend a few weeks training at either CalStrength or Average Broz. That's if my new employment plans work out over the next few months. There are a couple of WL clubs in the Orlando area. I'm still paying for a membership at Orlando Barbell, but it was hard enough being a raw powerlifter there, never mind a weightlifter. Bad enough that I was a skinny black guy who didn't use gear or bench much and who they openly suggested was probably queer. The Oly shit would be the last straw.

I'll miss the WL room at the Merritt Downtown Athletic Club. Jordan invited me to train there a couple years ago when I first moved to Baltimore. He and all the lifters seemed really snotty, however, when I took my first tour of the club and asked my guide (I believe it was Eric) to introduce me to the WL team. Jordan found me doing IPF-style low bar squats upstairs a few months later and brought me down a couple times to talk me into training with them, but I demurred learning the lifts with them then because a) I remembered how snotty they had been when I first met them all and b) I really wanted to focus on getting bigger and stronger with the Big Three. I told him the second part.

It's really too bad that I didn't end up training with them back then. I'm doing it now mostly becaues of Matt's entreaties. He recommended that whether I weightlift or not I should squat and pull downstairs. He was right about that. The WL room (a converted racquetball court) is just a great place to be. It's far removed from the dozens of televisions, canned music and general frippery of the main section. In the evenings, there are Zumba classes across the hall. In the morning, there's a spin class almost directly above on the landing. All day long people show up to box in the other converted racquetball court on the other side of the wall. But the noise from these things isn't that bad (though the Zumba is by far the worst). The room itself still offers a great deal of privacy and a chance to focus.

Some evenings I actually run into the other weightlifters. The guys tend to like to plug their IPods into the ancient stereo system and crank the rap that's targeted right at adolescent suburbia. I prefer the presence of the women. I don't normally, but women who lift seriously are the best kind of humans there are. But the noise the guy lifters bring is generally okay with me. It's nice to have other dedicated people training alongside me. Form tends to be sharper with an audience. But I also love when I time my early sessions just right: No other lifters, no Zumba classes, no one at all in that part of the gym. Sometimes I don't even turn the lights on and just go by the light coming from the landing above. The place is in shadow, but plenty bright enough to see. Sometimes, I'll go shirtless with only compression shorts and WL shoes on, but often also with my knee sleeves on my lower legs. It's not to impress anyone with my exposed, tawny, brown body; remember I have no audience then. It's just to have as little between me and the bar as possible. I'd train in nothing at all except WL shoes and socks if I could get away with it and not worry about damaging my genitals on the second pull.

I'll keep my shirt on if I'm training at a time when others could walk in. But I still like to keep the lights off. Other lifters have found me there in the shadows a few times. They put the lights on and helpfully point out the location of the switch. I make some excuse about the light from upstairs being enough, but the truth is that being alone in the dark in that room is as close to bliss as I come.

dingleberry
Manpussy Apprentice

Post by dingleberry » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:33 pm

Gary wrote:but the truth is that being alone in the dark in that room is as close to bliss as I come.

I like training in the dim as well. It seems to help the focus.
nafod wrote:I do find I am spending more and more time in the bathroom in the morning, just staring at myself and wondering if I am pretty.

Gary
Gunny

Post by Gary » Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:00 am

dingleberry wrote:
Gary wrote:but the truth is that being alone in the dark in that room is as close to bliss as I come.

I like training in the dim as well. It seems to help the focus.
Word.

There are about a dozen black and white posters around the weightlifting room of Olympic WLers in action. The one of Pyrros Dimas isn't directly in front of any of the platforms, but I wish it were because that would increase focus a great deal, too.

So I was lying in bed and looking at Youtube videos of Pyrros with one of my hands down my pants, as usual, and I got to thinking about the distinct schools of thought on WL in the training of athletes. One school says that the Big Three slow lifts plus sports-specific practice is the best way, and that WL is too complicated with no real bearing on explosiveness outside of WL movements. The other school says that the classic WL lifts and their close derivatives are essential for all athletes. So the question is which barbell endeavor is better for athletic preparation: PL or WL?

The common point between PL and WL is the squat and the first pull (the only pull for PL). The squat and first pull/deadlift are supposed to be "assistance" for the classic lifts, but from what I'm reading and from what I've experienced just upping the squat and dl don't have as much bearing on the classic lifts as one would initially think. The rapid expression of strength (and of course constant slight improvements in technique) are developed separately...by doing the classic lifts. Upping the squat ups the limit of what one could potentially snatch, clean or jerk.

The amount of my current strength I can express quickly is extremely low. If I could get more efficient in my technique and more powerful, i.e. be stronger at a better rate, I'd be snatching and cleaning about 50% more than I am now without having to get a lick stronger. I'd probably be jumping higher and running faster too. PL has increased my ability to push, but WL will increase my ability to hit.

The thing about snatching and cleaning--as efficient as it seems they are as economical training tools for increasing power production--is that they aren't nearly as good for increasing strength as squats. If all one did was clean, one would hit a certain level of efficiency within the limits of one's squat strength and then stop. This level could be as low as 50% for some and 90% for others (those rare guys who clean more than they front squat). One couldn't get much faster or more efficient and higher sheer numbers would require upping the squat. So there's no getting away from the squat. The squat forms part of the triumvirate: snatch, clean/jerk, squat.

The deadlift, however, doesn't seem nearly as indispensable. The squat improves the deadlift, but the deadlift improves very little. It's the ultimate case of demonstrating strength but not building it. The deadlift is the lift whose use can be scaled back first. If one isn't competing in the deadlift, there's little reason to do it much at all--unless for some reason one couldn't squat. The squat trains the relevant muscles better. The squat can be trained harder and more often. I say all this as a person who loves to compete in the deadlift...but that's probably because doing it often in my own training is contraindicated and so I really look forward to pulling big at meets. (Mind, pull variations--including good mornings--can be of great use in getting extra hamstrings work.)

Just a couple months ago I would have said that squats plus other types of simple explosive drills were sufficient: weight jumps or high pulls, for example. Now I'm not so sure. I thought the time and practice necessary to learn the classic lifts were an impediment, but they're not that much more complicated than the squat, bench or deadlift. All these lifts take a little coaching and a lot of practice to get right. The classic lifts are indeed a bit more complicated and probably take a little longer to groove--and then take a career to master fully--but their benefits seem to be worth it.

All that stuff about explosion, balance, timing and "receiving force" I'm finding to be true. The jerks are really helping with that last part. Something about throwing a weight overhead and catching it with arms extended...it just does something to whole body integrity.

I feel like I'm rediscovering sex, like I'm being initiated into something dark, thrilling and a little shameful. I'm coming to see the classic lifts as the ultimate ends. The squat's only there so I can snatch, clean and jerk more. The squats are the price I pay to up my limits on the classic lifts, but it's actually practicing the latter that has the real payoff. Squatting without weightlifting is like ejaculating without a living receptacle; it may feel good, but it's ultimately masturbation.

Conversely weightlifting without squatting may be productive and for a truly high level weightlifter it may be okay, but in keeping with the preceding simile: weightlifting is like having someone there to catch the ejaculate, but squatting makes your dick and balls bigger and the load more substantial.

Gary
Gunny

Post by Gary » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:53 pm

Snatch
,20 kg x3, x3, x3
,30 kg x2, miss, x1 + miss, x1 + 1 high, x2
,40 kg x1, x1, x miss, x1
,50 kg x miss, x1, x1 (very good)
,55 kg x1
,57 kg x miss, x1, PB
,59 kg x 1 (very good) PB
,60 kg x1 PB
,61 kg x miss, x1 PB
,62 kg x miss, x1 PB
,65 kg x miss, miss, miss, miss, miss, x1 PB
,67 kg x miss, x1 PB
,69 kg x miss

The Shit Warm Up Rule took effect. The light sets felt horrible. I was getting tired and couldn't seem to get the timing and form right. Then things started getting better as I added weight...

When I got in local maxima PB territory, the 1 kg jumps were feeling too easy so went for broke with 65 after 62. Took a lot of tries, but when I hit it, it was perfect. 67 went on the second go. A bit harder, but I felt I had more in me. Total of 12 kg over my best last session. Today's jump might not have been the best idea. I might have done better to stick with 1 or 2-kilo jumps; might have gone to 70 kg this way.

Things I did different: kept bar a coupel cm further away from my shins. Allowed my touch point to be a little bit lower on my thighs, something which seems to be dictated by my anthropometry. It's very hard for me to hit closer to my hips with my long arms and short torso. Hit it about mid-thigh, whereas cleans tend to hit on lower thigh. Worked really hard on pushing through my heels and pulling the bar toward me as I rebent my knees. Pushed knees out and opened up hips at the bottom instead of sitting on top of my legs. Wider foot spacing with feet not quite so angled compared to last time. Will be easier to copy this with slightly higher heel than the 0.5" I'm rocking now.

Clean and Jerk later...

Clean
,40 kg x 3
,50 kg x 2
,60 kg x 1
,70 kg x 1
,75 kg x miss (knees to elbows), x1
,77 kg x 1 PB
,79 kg x miss, miss, miss... miss

C&J
,60 kg x1, x1, x1
,65 kg x1
,70 kg x1
,75 kg x clean + pressout, x1~ questionable jerk, x miss
,70 kg x miss

I was reeeeally hoping to set a similar personal best with cleans this evening, but that was more than a bit ambitious. I was simply out of "boom" after the huge personal best in the snatch a couple hours earlier. A small PB is good, however!

Flying to Orlando tomorrow. Haven't heard back from the WL club in Altamonte! Will try the other one at Avalon Park (that may be an @fit, however). I'll be staying with family for a few weeks and this would be a good time to put on weight with Mom's cooking (I gained 15 lbs in no time flat when I went down a few months ago). But I'm not sure I'm ready to do the kind of squatting that would help convert excess calories into muscle. If I can, I'll try to time a Smolov 3x/week while I'm down there, come back to Baltimore mid-November and then compete in the American Open. Right now, taking advantage of not squatting to devote time and recovery to learning the classic lifts. With today's PBs large and small, I'd say it's working.

Just took a good look at my log. I started broomstick snatching weeks ago and jerked (mostly poorly) all last week. I only started doing actual weighted barbell snatches and cleans just five days ago! Seems like I'd been at it forever, but it's really only been a few days. Progress is a lot better than I thought. I'd been doing most of my squatting and pulling as well as broomstick snatching in the WL room over the last few weeks and that made it feel like I'd been doing the classic lifts longer. It's all the bumpers and shit. Messed with my head.

Sassenach
ironslinger

Post by Sassenach » Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:30 am

Congrats on the PRs! You're very close to a BW snatch. =D> =D> =D>

Gary
Gunny

Post by Gary » Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:44 am

Jezebel Jones wrote:Congrats on the PRs! You're very close to a BW snatch. =D> =D> =D>
Thank you, O Sister of the Iron! I'm starting to think I'll get that BW snatch in October. Definitely by year's end. Now if only the clean would cooperate!

Doing a lot of thinking...

Training and Competing in Both Weightlifting and Powerlifting....

It's like trying to date two cousins who can't stand each other at the same time. One is good-looking and sexy in traditional way, but a little high maintenance, a little boring in bed but it's nice to be seen out with her. The other is a bit on the plain side, a bit thicker of body, with much bigger boobs and who can cook, change a tire and eagerly does things in bed that you swore only happened in hardcore pornography. How these two women share a common pair of grandparents, you don't know.

It looks like I'll be saving powerlifting moves for prep for powerlifting meets. During most of the year I'll be pressing and chinning instead of bench and rowing; I'll be snatching, cleaning, jerking and high bar squatting instead of low bar squatting and deadlifting. This is something I've been moving toward for the past few months: training as a weightlifter most of the time and then introducing PL moves to peak the six weeks out before a meet. During the weeks of low bar squatting and deadlifting I'll still be high bar squatting as back off and snatching and cleaning as "dynamic warm up".

For October I'll still be focusing on the snatch and clean and jerk. My main press will be overhead, complimented by weighted chins and pull ups. My left vasti seem to be slightly sprained so I'll be doing high rep squatting as rehab after the clean and jerk. In fact, my training days will look a lot like:

Snatch
<break>
Clean
Clean and Jerk
Squat, high bar x20
(start at 135 or so and add ten lbs each session, i.e. Starr Rehab)
<break>
Press out of Rack
Weighted Chin or Pull Up

Come November I need to start getting ready for the USAPL American Open. Time to introduce the low bar squat, the bench and the deadlift. Not sure exactly what that will look like. Probably a four day split: BP/SQ/BP/DL. There is no raw division here and I'd have to learn single-ply. If I could compete raw and have it noted, I'd probably do another Smolov Jr for BP and SQ, but that doesn't seem prudent in this situation. Probably something like this...

Bench Day: Geared Board Press, Supported Rows
Squat Day: Geared Low Bar SQ to Single, Raw High Bar SQ for volume
Bench Day: Raw BP, Close Grip Raw BP, DB Row, Some other upper back work
Squat Day: Geared Box SQ alternated with Geared Sumo Pull each week, GHR

Or something like that. Taper in late November (when I'll probably be back in Bmore for at least a little while) then hit the American Open strong in early December (see you there, Jezzy).

Sassenach
ironslinger

Post by Sassenach » Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:04 am

It's like trying to date two cousins who can't stand each other at the same time. One is good-looking and sexy in traditional way, but a little high maintenance, a little boring in bed but it's nice to be seen out with her. The other is a bit on the plain side, a bit thicker of body, with much bigger boobs and who can cook, change a tire and eagerly does things in bed that you swore only happened in hardcore pornography. How these two women share a common pair of grandparents, you don't know.
I'm stealing this! (with credit)

Dazed

Post by Dazed » Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:47 pm

Jezebel Jones wrote:

It really is poetic.
I don't think you realize the depths of Jezzy's sexual greed~ EZ
Big, strong men (preferably in kilts) are my lesbian kryptonite~Jez
the right kind of male can make Jezzy's reproductive instinct overcome her preference for black vagina~Gary

Gary
Gunny

Post by Gary » Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:47 am

Dazed wrote:
Jezebel Jones wrote:

It really is poetic.
You all are too kind.

Let me add that the high maintenance chick likes to drop place names to show off her familiarity with Europe and insists on using kilograms even though she was raised in the States. Her cousin has never left the continental U.S. and has never even set foot in a state that's voted Democrat.

On the ground in Orlando and the stink of Baltimore is starting to slough off of me. I have to wait till Monday before I can go train the classic lifts with Team Orlando. I'll probably test my bench at Orlando Barbell tomorrow. I'm tempted to start my squat rehab too, but that will depend on how healthy my knees feel.

Gary
Gunny

Post by Gary » Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:56 pm

BP
,45 x 10
135 x 5
185 x 3
205 x 1
225 x 1
235 x 1
245 x miss
225 x 3, x 3, x 1

Snatch (in lbs today)
,38 x 5
,58 x 3
,78 x 1, x 1
,98 x 1, x 1
108 x 1, x 1
118 x 1
128 x 1
138 x miss, x miss

BS from clean and jerk
128 x 10
138 x 10

Testing BP today. I'm below where I started. This after feeling so strong most of the way through Smolov base phase. About 20 lbs below my best bench and only able to get a couple triples with 225. My shoulders were a little tired from snatching, but I was just plain weaker today. I'm losing my love of fixed percentage routines like Smolov. Autoregulating makes a helluva lot more sense.

I meant to wait till I got to a proper weightlifting facility in order to do the classic lifts, but I just couldn't resist. Had to use the 38-lb chrom bar and the shitty bumpers designated in pounds and lift in whatever empty spot I could find. Missed 138 badly. Decided to clean some weight into squatting position after that because both racks were occupied with benching and floor pressing today. Reps with the light weight felt awful, like I was uneven and all over the place. Couldn't get to 20 reps so did two sets of ten and was wiped out after that.

Weighed 178.

Edit: Forgot to mention that I tried keeping the bar an inch or so farther away so it was over the base of my big toe. Didn't like it and felt it made it much harder to keep the bar close to the body and to get contact with the thighs/hips for the launch.

Sassenach
ironslinger

Post by Sassenach » Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:18 am

Gary wrote:
I meant to wait till I got to a proper weightlifting facility in order to do the classic lifts, but I just couldn't resist. Had to use the 38-lb chrom bar and the shitty bumpers designated in pounds and lift in whatever empty spot I could find. Missed 138 badly. Decided to clean some weight into squatting position after that because both racks were occupied with benching and floor pressing today. Reps with the light weight felt awful, like I was uneven and all over the place. Couldn't get to 20 reps so did two sets of ten and was wiped out after that.
I wouldn't blame that on you, it's very likely the bar and shitty bumpers (and the stress of moving--holla!). I never really took into account how much the equipment mattered until I went from very bad wrong sized bar/crap bumpers that were taped together to a kick ass Eleiko set.

Gary
Gunny

Post by Gary » Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:30 pm

Jezebel Jones wrote:
Gary wrote:
I wouldn't blame that on you, it's very likely the bar and shitty bumpers (and the stress of moving--holla!). I never really took into account how much the equipment mattered until I went from very bad wrong sized bar/crap bumpers that were taped together to a kick ass Eleiko set.
Taped together!?! Ha! Talking 'bout the ghetto-o-o-o-o-o!

I'm spending a few weeks visting family. Last time I did this back in January I gained 20 lbs because of mom's cooking and a gallon of milk a day. It moved me up from the top of the 75 kg to the top of the 82.5 kg and a little beyond. I used a lot of volume, maybe more than was necessary. I then stagnated. Was getting fatter, but no stronger because I wouldn't deload properly.

Pretty rested now and I want to use PL to get bigger and stronger while practicing the classic lifts. I don't think my left quads are up to a Smolov base phase right now. Basic novice progression ala Rippetoe?

Opinions are welcome. Bigger with SQ and BP while practicing Oly? How???

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates » Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:15 pm

What about a little 5-3-1 bench, squat, deadlift, and press using the Boring But Big template. You can do full cleans as your squat day warm up, snatched as a deadlift warm up, and jerks as a press warm up. You'd get some volume and a little bit of everything. Just keep the weight under 90% treating your workouts more like skill/practice and enjoy your time with moms..
Southern Hospitality Is Aggressive Hospitality

Gary
Gunny

Post by Gary » Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:09 pm

Ed Zachary wrote:What about a little 5-3-1 bench, squat, deadlift, and press using the Boring But Big template. You can do full cleans as your squat day warm up, snatched as a deadlift warm up, and jerks as a press warm up. You'd get some volume and a little bit of everything. Just keep the weight under 90% treating your workouts more like skill/practice and enjoy your time with moms..
Holy Honkey Fuck!

Thanks, Ed. I haven't bought Wendler's e-book, but from what I understand, Boring But Big goes for higher reps...?

I was actually looking over my results from January-February. I gained about 20 lbs and my squat and deadlift were the strongest ever. I was doing squat and bench volume: Pavel's Bear for bench and Pins Into Pillars for squat. I then finished up with a Russian Squat Routine for squat and ended up with 430 in the gym and 418 in the meet. I pulled 506, all with just a belt and at a skinny 179 lbs. It's been downhill ever since. But I believe that's because I just refused to deload properly after that.

I'm thinking the template you gave is very close to what will happen during the next month. Bear for BP is great because the volume is preceded by heavy-ish weight, which I really need to keep handling. Pins for the squat is perfect now because I need volume while avoiding heavy weight in the squat; Pins starts at 50%. I'd actually start a little lower than that right now, at about 155 lbs which is more reflective of my current true max.

I could start out doing the classic lifts as warm ups this week because I'll mostly be traveling and don't see much point in joining the local WL club till I'm more settled (would essentially be a waste to join up this week because I wouln't be here to train with them till next week). Next week I'd like to have devoted sessions to at the WL club, then stop by Orlando Barbell on the way home and get my volume work with the slow lifts.

Monday) 6:30-8 pm Snatch, C&J; 9 pm Bear Press, Chin Ups
Tuesday) 6:30-8 pm Snatch, C&J; 9 pm PiP Squat
Thursday) 6:30-8 pm Snatch, C&J; 9 pm Bear Bench, DB Row
Friday) 6:30-8 pm Snatch, C&J; 9 pm PiP Squat and/or DL

Three weeks of that to finish up October, then in November take a back off week and ramp up WL. Then after that, drop press and chins, cut back WL to maintenance (no more going for personal bests each session) and start going heavier with a protocol designed to do well in a singl-ply meet:

Monday) Geared Board Bench, Raw Bench, DB Row
Tuesday) Geared Low Bar Squat, Raw High Bar Squat
Thursday) Geared Bench, DB Row
Friday) Raw High Bar Squat, Geared Box Squat or Geared Sumo Pull

edit: some numbers for October.

Press 120x5, 105x5, 90x5xN...130x5, 115x5, 100x5xN...135x5, 120x5, 105x5xN; Chin +10x5x10...+20x5x10...+25x5x10
Squat 155x5x10...175x5x10...185x5x10
Bench 215x5, 195x5, 175x5N...225x5, 205x5, 185x5xN...230x5, 210x5, 210x5xN; DB Row 85x5x10...95x5x10...100x5x10
SLDL 205x5x10...225x5x10...235x5x10