FriedQuads Reloaded

Post your training journals here if you like. I'll make back-ups to avoid losing your data.

Moderator: Dux

friedquads
Pillowbiter

Wednesday 03/02

Post by friedquads » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:49 am

Wednesday 03/02

Rest Day

Comments: I think I'm coming down with something. My joints and body overall is sore in a way that I don't like and my throat is feeling sore. I'm going to chill tonight to recover from this as much as I can and try to hit it hard tomorrow with the Yasso 800s.
Jay wrote:BTW, warriors kill shit. The only things you kill are exercise science and the board short display at Target.
I choose to kill people with kindness. Oh, I should also mention "kindness" is the name of my samurai sword.

friedquads
Pillowbiter

Thursday 03/03

Post by friedquads » Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:07 am

Thursday 03/03

Rest Day

Comments: Still feel like shit, not as bad as yesterday - but still bad. Will hold off on any serious speed work, but will do a short fartlek run tomorrow to shake the cobwebs off and then still hit it for my 18 miles somewhere on the trail or treadmill if needed.
Jay wrote:BTW, warriors kill shit. The only things you kill are exercise science and the board short display at Target.
I choose to kill people with kindness. Oh, I should also mention "kindness" is the name of my samurai sword.

friedquads
Pillowbiter

Friday 03/04 - Saturday 03/05

Post by friedquads » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:07 am

Friday 03/04 - Saturday 03/05

Rest Days (Sick)

Comments: Friday was a bust, but that was due to going to a party and coming home late. Having fun was more on the menu and despite fighting a cold, I was scheduled to perform for the party and bust out the guitar. It was well worth it. I was sure to run on Saturday, but I ended up having to nap and sweat out the sick some more. It did some good, but not enough. When I get home Sunday morning after work, I'm just going to suck it up and run the necessary miles I need for my long run. It's going to suck bad, but I need it done. I have less than three weeks till the 50 miler on the 26th and I need to force the right endocrine response via long run.

friedquads
Pillowbiter

Sunday 03/06 - Wednesday 03/09

Post by friedquads » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:24 am

Sunday 03/06 - Wednesday 03/09

Sick Days

Comments: Lungs still feel like shit. I'm also slipping into a depressive funk due to life and thinking about the future. As much as we train physically for things, our psyche and emotional states need to be in the right place too. I wish I had the mentality of some of my friends who can look at how shitty their lives are and then still go on those long runs or do those hard training sessions. It's folks like the Dirt Diva and others that I look at with envy that they can pour themselves into their sport and lose themselves, if only for a while (unless you're DD, then you're losing yourself for hours or days on end sometimes.)

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Re: FriedQuads Reloaded

Post by Mickey O'neil » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:56 pm

I hope things improve for you, fq.

friedquads
Pillowbiter

Post by friedquads » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:43 am

Mickey O'neil wrote:I hope things improve for you, fq.
Thanks Mickey. I've got to put on my big boy pants, quit acting like a pussy, get my ass out of bed/couch, and pound my body into submission.

friedquads
Pillowbiter

Thursday 03/10 - Saturday 03/12

Post by friedquads » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:24 pm

Thursday 03/10 - Saturday 03/12

Rest Days

Comments: Sleep patterns have become seriously erratic. I've had to down many natural sedatives to try and get myself to sleep normally, but I end up waking up still or getting that shitty hung-over feeling. I'm nearly through with the pity party and pining for people and the rest of the emotional shit that life stirs up. I have to simply accept my fate and move on (easier said than done, but the answer is always easy - execution is a motherfucker.) One thing I might have to do, although I really would rather not, is to just go to straight running and drop the strength work. It would prime me for my sport, but I'll turn into an even weaker pussy. Got some thinking to do.

Trip

Post by Trip » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:23 pm

Mickey O'neil wrote:I hope things improve for you, fq.
Ditto.

Bobby
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bobby » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:49 pm

Ditto.
You`ll toughen up.Unless you have a serious medical condition commonly refered to as
"being a pussy".

friedquads
Pillowbiter

Post by friedquads » Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:32 am

Thanks gentlemen. Slowly but surely, I'm being more optimistic. Long way to go still.

friedquads
Pillowbiter

Sunday 03/13 - Saturday 03/19

Post by friedquads » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:07 am

Sunday 03/13 - Saturday 03/19

Fuck It/Mental Health Days

Comments: No lifting. No running. Nothing. For some time, I went into a really bad depressive state to the point of being emotionally paralyzed. When your personal life is fucked up, training for anything seems to be daunting. However, with every down, there is an up - but only if you're willing to take it. As cliché as it sounds, I think of that line from the Batman Begins movie when Michael Caine says, "Why do we fall, sir? So that we might learn to pick ourselves up." I've fallen hard with how life has gone lately, but as hard as I've fallen, picking myself back up consisted of going out with old friends to get re-acquainted, get seriously drunk, and realize that shit will get better. I haven't run. I haven't lifted. But I do feel like I'm starting to get stronger, at least in my head anyway. No clue on whether I'll properly finish the run on Saturday next week or for the 100 miler I registered for in April (yes, I decided to jump the gun early and do a 100 miler on April 16th-17th in Port Gamble, WA). Still deciding on whether to do the 50k that has thwarted me the week before or not. It couldn't make anything worse, but can't exactly make anything better either. However, it would require me to really dick around with my work schedule and I'm not totally into that idea to do that for that weekend. Maybe I'll volunteer at that event right after my graveyard shift for that morning. Why do the 100 so early though? Simply put - just to escape. If I make it, I make it. If I don't, then I don't. The course is relatively easier than the other 100, so I might have at least a better chance of finishing if not going further. It's a 12.5 mile looped course, so I'll get familiar with it over time. Basically shooting for 50 miles (4 loops), if I get it done - go for 100k (6 loops). If I get that done, go for 100 miles (8 loops). The finishing time is generous and negotiable, so if I can beg my way to keep going, they'll let me. Yes, doing a 100 without proper training is begging for disaster, but I'm not doing this for adulation or glory. I'm doing this because I need some hard core therapy and if I can get through this - I can get through anything.

friedquads
Pillowbiter

Sunday 03/20 - Monday 03/21

Post by friedquads » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:57 am

Sunday 03/20 - Monday 03/21

Oversleep days

Comments: Did the unintentional Dan John thing and slept for about 12 hours both days. Still set to slog through the 50 miler on Saturday before work. Don't know whether I'll finish it, but I'm going to try to get as far as I can.

friedquads
Pillowbiter

Tuesday 03/22 - Wednesday 03/23

Post by friedquads » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:46 am

Tuesday 03/22 - Wednesday 03/23

Mental Health Days

Comments: I'm feeling a lot better in the head. A good session with my shrink and trying to get shit off my chest through other means, I'm feeling better than I have in a very long time. Was planning on running on Wednesday, but my body had other ideas, namely to catch up on lost sleep from the insomnia days.

friedquads
Pillowbiter

Thursday 03/24

Post by friedquads » Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:06 am

Thursday 03/24

Treadmill Run/Walk - Cruising Speed

Total Distance: 3.25 mi
Total Time: 44:34
Incline: 1%
Method:
3.8 MPH walk for 0.25 mi
5.0 MPH easy run for 0.25 mi
3.8 MPH walk for 0.25 mi
5.0 MPH easy run for 0.25 mi
3.8 MPH walk for 0.25 mi
5.0 MPH easy run for 0.50 mi
3.8 MPH walk for 0.25 mi
5.0 MPH easy run for 1.0 mi
3.8 MPH walk for 0.25 mi

Comments: The hinges were rusty, but not broken and needed to be greased. The run didn't feel bad at all really, but I can tell that muscles were not use to the activity. Saturday is going to be unruly, but not necessarily impossible. For me to finish the 50 miles in 13.5 hours, I need to move at a pace of 16:12 min/mile (a 3.7 MPH speed). This also means that every 3.2 mile loop has to be done in under 51:50, fifteen times and then running 16:12 twice for the remaining 2 miles to make 50. So if I focus on trying to do each loop in 45 minutes, I will be able to get through the whole race with little difficulty.

Main thing is to stay focused, treat pain with meds and stretching, and don't stop unless I'm about to actually die there (highly doubtful, but they make us sign waivers for this reason.)

I'm thankful that I'm able to function again. Being depressed and emotionally paralyzed fucking sucks.

friedquads
Pillowbiter

Friday 03/25

Post by friedquads » Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:55 am

Friday 03/25

Rest/Prep Day

Comments: Some walking with errands, but nothing serious. Preparing for tomorrow's 50 miler. Looking to go the distance, no matter what this time. I'm underconditioned, but I've got to do this.

The song to keep my ass going:

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil » Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:35 pm

Hey fq, I hope things are improving for you. Try to keep your head up and you'll be alright.

friedquads
Pillowbiter

Post by friedquads » Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:18 am

Mickey O'neil wrote:Hey fq, I hope things are improving for you. Try to keep your head up and you'll be alright.
They were until the cocktail of running with little sleep + hard caffeine + a Bacardi & Diet Coke have made a mess of my mental state. I've been reduced to feeling like a chick watching a Nicholas Sparks film.

friedquads
Pillowbiter

Saturday 03/26

Post by friedquads » Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:44 am

Saturday 03/26

16 miles

Total Time: 3:50:10

Splits (3.2 mi loop):
Loop 1 - 42:45
Loop 2 - 43:03
Loop 3 - 42:21
Loop 4 - 46:42
Loop 5 - 55:17

Comments: My attempt at running 50 miles ended up with 16 and the final loop was via all walking. My feet and tendons in my ankles hurt like hell. I somehow fucked myself emotionally. The typical stress of the run with caffeine and booze have made me all emotional to where I'm shaking like a fucking nut job. I need to get a grip somehow.

friedquads
Pillowbiter

Sunday 03/27-Tuesday 03/29

Post by friedquads » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:50 am

Sunday 03/27-Tuesday 03/29

Rest/Recovery Days

Comments: Feeling better than I did Saturday night, that's for sure. It'll be a long time before I decide to mix no sleep + running long + over-caffeine post run + alcohol in that exact combo order. I've been trying to get my sleep back in order and although the original plan for Tuesday was to do a bit of running, my body was cooperating and wanted to sleep for a change. Much better than the insomnia days that I've been experiencing. Sent in the request to cancel my Cascade Crest 100 attempt for August and looking to rebuild properly so I can take that bitch on in 2012. So after the 100 miler on April 16-17 (most likely will pull off 50 miles, maybe 100k due to the 30 hour time limit unless things just seem to work out for this fat boy), I'm going to start back to zero and work my way up. Focus more on being a real runner, but will try to figure out what strength stuff I can do without hindering the process. Also going to have to stop being so fucking fat so I can run faster and lighter for a change.

friedquads
Pillowbiter

Wednesday 03/30 - Sunday 04/03

Post by friedquads » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:57 pm

Wednesday 03/30 - Sunday 04/03

Rest Days

Comments: Life is turning a corner. Been trying to get more sleep and my head is not messed up to the point of being...well, functional and normal for civilized society. Despite not exercising and eating as well as I should, I have dropped some more weight, close to 230 lbs now. I'll start over with a new training journal after my 100 miler attempt on April 16-17. http://rootsrockrun.com/images/Lumberjack-Flyer.pdf

Main focus for the new training journal:

- Being an ultrarunner with some strength. Main focus is running though.
- Start with getting base mileage up to around 40-50 miles per week, but I think I'll start even lower still. Base training will take a while.
- Actually drop weight. Weight close to 230 lbs, most of the ultra guys I've seen lately who have similar bodies like mine where they pack on muscle fast did themselves good by getting below 200 lbs in an effort to be faster and have a better power-to-weight ratio.
- Use races as training runs, either as a volunteer or if something is a low-key venue.
- Focus on 2012 being the year to get the finish that I should have.

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil » Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:43 pm

Sounds good, fq. Glad that things are looking up for you.

friedquads
Pillowbiter

Post by friedquads » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:43 am

Mickey O'neil wrote:Sounds good, fq. Glad that things are looking up for you.
Thanks. I'm glad too. It's nice not feeling so fucked up in the head. :-)

Alfred_E._Neuman
Sgt. Major

Post by Alfred_E._Neuman » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:59 am

Glad to hear that things are looking better for you FQ. I suffer from pretty severe depression and sometimes doing anything other than trudge back and forth to work takes a monumental effort.

Best advise I can give you is to not "train" through your base miles. Don't worry about pace at all, just get the time on your feet. Speed will come with consistency and time.

Good luck!
I don't have a lot of experience with vampires, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once, but by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbor's dog.

friedquads
Pillowbiter

Re:

Post by friedquads » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:56 am

Alfred_E._Neuman wrote:Glad to hear that things are looking better for you FQ. I suffer from pretty severe depression and sometimes doing anything other than trudge back and forth to work takes a monumental effort.

Best advise I can give you is to not "train" through your base miles. Don't worry about pace at all, just get the time on your feet. Speed will come with consistency and time.

Good luck!
Thanks and you're preaching to the choir here. I had the 'blues' before, but this shit was fucking insane. It's like someone kicked your ass and managed to not leave any evidence of bruises, broken bones, or blood...and then came back and kicked your ass again just to prove they can. But yeah, I've felt like I've turned a corner. Not out of the woods yet until I'm officially living solo, but I'm in a better place in my head. I'm virtually back to zero again since hitting bottom, so all the more reason to just get time on my feet and as you said, "not 'train' through my base miles". Thanks again.

friedquads
Pillowbiter

Sunday 04/03

Post by friedquads » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:36 am

Sunday 04/03

3 miles walking

Comments: Spent most of the day walking, part by choice since I was hanging around Seattle after work. Part not by choice since I had to walk over a mile to the office to get my phone I left behind and didn't want to drive back to pick it up and lose my parking spot. But the movement was good for me. The lack of sleep, not so much. Did more de-stressing stuff, went to concerts (refined and not-so-refined), drank an Irish Car Bomb and went to work. Mental state is still good where I'm not just riding a high and waiting for a crash, these I like. I was tired of the roller coaster of high-low-high-dive bomb low-repeat. The feelings of being Superman and then getting an enema of Kryptonite every time I'd try to do anything worthwhile would make anyone want to jump off a building and let gravity take over instead of flying themselves to safety. But I can honestly say that I don't have that mentality anymore (or if I do, it is buried DEEP now and hopefully will die a horrible death of its own). It's nice to look forward to tomorrow for a change. Now, if I can only get my ass in gear and do more work - but all in good time and one day at a time. Can't expect to run when I just learned to crawl again (although this makes the upcoming 100 miler a funny thing to think about.)