NexusMidas Log

Post your training journals here if you like. I'll make back-ups to avoid losing your data.

Moderator: Dux

nexusmidas
Sarge

NexusMidas Log

Post by nexusmidas » Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:56 pm

Today I did my first workout from Dr. Luyber. I'm doing the spring complex:

Workout A
1. Bench Press
2. T-Bar Rows
3. Standing Press
4. Seated Dumbbell Curl
5. Breathing Squats
6. Wide Grip Pullups

Workout B
1. Incline Press
2. Bent Rows
3. Press Behind the Neck
4. Standing Dumbbell Curl
5. Breathing Squats
6. Wide Grip Pullups

I will be doing 4-5 set of 6 reps on all exercises, except for the squats which I will do for 3 set of 8 and the pullups will be done 5 sets of max reps.

I will be hitting it hard for 3 weeks and then one back off week. Planning to do 2-3 workouts per week with 1-2 days of rest in between.

Week 1
Tuesday 28-9-2010 workout A:

1. Bench Press - 60 kg x 10, 80kg x 6 reps x 4 sets
2. T-Bar Rows - 50 x 10, 70 x 6 x 4
3. Standing Press - bar x 12, 50 x 2(to heavy), 40 x 6 x 4
4. Seated Dumbbell Curl - 8 x 6, 14 x 6 x 4
5. Breathing Squats - bar x 20, 50 x 10, 70 x 8 x 3
6. Wide Grip Pullups - 9, 7, 5, 4, 6

For the everything except the squats it was hard to get the last 1-2 reps in, I would say it was pretty close the failure on those last sets. I plan on adding 2,5 kg on all exercises and 5-10 kg for the squats and reps to the pullups next week.

nexusmidas
Sarge

Re: NexusMidas Log

Post by nexusmidas » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:54 pm

Just posting how tired I'm after yesterday's workout, my back, legs and shoulders are shot. I got a full 8 hours of sleep. I counted my heart rate in the morning to check recovery, because I have a feeling that it hasn't been that great lately.

According to Pavel's Power to the people Pro Valetin Dikul uses this method to "spot systemic overtraining and nip it in the bud":

"Count your heart rate in the morning, before you get out of bed. Sit up and count again. Stand up and do it. The difference between each consecutive reading should not exceed 10 BPM. If it does lower the intensity next workout"

My normal heart rate is 45 BPM in the morning. Today it was 47 BMP, when I sat up it was 59 BMP, when I stood it was 68 BMP. I guess I have to give my recovery priority the coming days. I will recheck every morning. I originally planned the next workout on friday. I hope two days of rest will be enough otherwise I will do a light workout.

I hope this log wil learn me to listen to my body.

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates » Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:40 pm

Are you eating enough?

Some mobility work may be needed. Check Kelly Starret's mobility WOD site and ice baths and cold showers are magic mana. And sometimes you just have to train through the soreness when you start a new program. I think you are thinking too much about your training.
Southern Hospitality Is Aggressive Hospitality

powerlifter54
Sergeant Commanding

Post by powerlifter54 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:30 pm

nexusmidas wrote:Just posting how tired I'm after yesterday's workout, my back, legs and shoulders are shot. I got a full 8 hours of sleep. I counted my heart rate in the morning to check recovery, because I have a feeling that it hasn't been that great lately.

According to Pavel's Power to the people Pro Valetin Dikul uses this method to "spot systemic overtraining and nip it in the bud":

"Count your heart rate in the morning, before you get out of bed. Sit up and count again. Stand up and do it. The difference between each consecutive reading should not exceed 10 BPM. If it does lower the intensity next workout"

My normal heart rate is 45 BPM in the morning. Today it was 47 BMP, when I sat up it was 59 BMP, when I stood it was 68 BMP. I guess I have to give my recovery priority the coming days. I will recheck every morning. I originally planned the next workout on friday. I hope two days of rest will be enough otherwise I will do a light workout.

Dude,

You just did your first workout. It was a big one and should not be a surprise you are shot. BIG HINT: Do not add weight on the second time through and try to repeat the workout more crisply. Let your body adapt before you start pushing beyond failure. This is a long process so don't try to do 3 years work in a week.

jmo
"Start slowly, then ease off". Tortuga Golden Striders Running Club, Pensacola 1984.

"But even snake wrestling beats life in the cube, for me at least. In measured doses."-Lex

nexusmidas
Sarge

Post by nexusmidas » Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:12 pm

Ed Zachary wrote:Are you eating enough?

Some mobility work may be needed. Check Kelly Starret's mobility WOD site and ice baths and cold showers are magic mana. And sometimes you just have to train through the soreness when you start a new program. I think you are thinking too much about your training.
I try to, yesterday I stuffed my face, I feel much better. Feel like training again, maybe tonight or tommorow. I usually eat 2-3 eggs a day 0.5-1 liter of full fat milk, tuna or salmon. Lots of cheese, peanut butter and whole wheat bread, pasta, potatoes veggies and fruit. Why do you think I need mobility work?

nexusmidas
Sarge

Post by nexusmidas » Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:18 pm

powerlifter54 wrote:
nexusmidas wrote:Just posting how tired I'm after yesterday's workout, my back, legs and shoulders are shot. I got a full 8 hours of sleep. I counted my heart rate in the morning to check recovery, because I have a feeling that it hasn't been that great lately.

Dude,

You just did your first workout. It was a big one and should not be a surprise you are shot. BIG HINT: Do not add weight on the second time through and try to repeat the workout more crisply. Let your body adapt before you start pushing beyond failure. This is a long process so don't try to do 3 years work in a week.

jmo
Oke, thanks. I will not add weight next workout. I was not suggesting that I'm overtrained from one workout, but fatigue from a bunch of other things. Anyway I'm even considering to lower the worksets to 3 sets instead of 4, to keep total volume down a bit. I can always add more sets when my body has adapted.
Last edited by nexusmidas on Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates » Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:20 pm

Mobility work will help with the soreness but listen to PL54 he is the master.

nexusmidas
Sarge

Post by nexusmidas » Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:23 pm

Ed Zachary wrote:Mobility work will help with the soreness but listen to PL54 he is the master.
Soreness is pretty much over, I guess I'm to lazy for things like mobility work right now. Maybe in the near future I will look into it.

nexusmidas
Sarge

Post by nexusmidas » Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:54 pm

PL54 post on Rippetoe’s starting strength, made me read Rippetoe’s book practical programming again. I made my own routine with the advice given in the chapter on intermediate training. And yes I'm changing routines already, Dr. Luyber is just to much for me.

So here it is based on Bill Stars Heavy, medium, light system. Full body 3 times a week, 3 exercises a day, Mondays heavy sets of six. Wednesdays easy sets of 8-10. Friday speed sets. Heavy days for PRs, medium and light days for recovery:

Week 1
Monday Heavy
Bench Press 3x6
Squat 3x6
Pullup 3xRM

Wednesday Light
Bench Press 4x8-10
Deadlift 3x8-10
Row 4x8-10

Friday Medium
Bench Press 8x3 @ 50-55% max speed work using three different grips
Squat 8x2 @ 50-55% max speed work
Pullup 3xRM

Week 2
Monday Heavy
Bench Press 3x6
Deadlift 3x6
Pullup 3xRM

Wednesday Light
Dumbell Bench Press 4x8-10
Squat 3x8-10
Row 4x8-10

Friday Medium
Bench Press 8x3 @ 50-55% max speed work using three different grips
Deadlift 8x2 @ 50-55% max speed work
Pullup 3xRM

powerlifter54
Sergeant Commanding

Post by powerlifter54 » Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:03 pm

Good decision but no more changes or we will call you NextRantMidas.

Now just do it.
"Start slowly, then ease off". Tortuga Golden Striders Running Club, Pensacola 1984.

"But even snake wrestling beats life in the cube, for me at least. In measured doses."-Lex

nexusmidas
Sarge

Post by nexusmidas » Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:07 pm

powerlifter54 wrote:Good decision but no more changes or we will call you NextRantMidas.

Now just do it.
Haha, thanks!

nexusmidas
Sarge

Post by nexusmidas » Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:15 pm

Week 1
Monday Heavy
Bench Press - 90x4, 80x6x2, 70x8 back off set
Squat 90x6, 80x6x2
Pullup - 10, 8, 6

powerlifter54
Sergeant Commanding

Post by powerlifter54 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:53 pm

nexusmidas wrote:Week 1
Monday Heavy
Squat 90x6, 80x6x2
Pullup - 10, 8, 6

You are on the road. Now do not read anything else besides SS for a few months. Do not miss workouts or think about your abs either.

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates » Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:42 pm

powerlifter54 wrote:
nexusmidas wrote:Week 1
Monday Heavy
Squat 90x6, 80x6x2
Pullup - 10, 8, 6

You are on the road. Now do not read anything else besides SS for a few months. Do not miss workouts or think about your abs either.
The section in bold cannot be emphasized enough.

Consistency is the key. And I've made more progress in my training over the past 3 months simply by following that simple advice given to me by PL54.

Don't think about it, don't worry about it, just workout.

Paralysis analysis is a common affliction for anyone who trains and reads too much info on the internet.

nexusmidas
Sarge

Post by nexusmidas » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:25 pm

Thanks guys! It's indeed easy to get distracted with all the info on the internet. I do not care much about abs, I was never ripped anyway.

Bobby
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bobby » Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:53 am

It is getting colder where I live (Sweden) so I don`t have to think about ripped abs for at least 5-6 months if ever!
You`ll toughen up.Unless you have a serious medical condition commonly refered to as
"being a pussy".

nexusmidas
Sarge

Post by nexusmidas » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:51 am

Bobby wrote:It is getting colder where I live (Sweden) so I don`t have to think about ripped abs for at least 5-6 months if ever!
I live in the Netherlands so I don't have to think about that either.

nexusmidas
Sarge

Post by nexusmidas » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:38 pm

Wednesday Light
Bench Press - barx20x2, 50x10, 60x10x5 (kg x reps x sets)
Deadlift (sumo) - 50x10, 60x10, 70x10x2
BB Row - 50x10x2, 60x10, 50x10x1 (Rippetoe style, putting the bar on the ground between each rep)

I'm drinking about 1 liter of full fat milk a day, and 2-3 eggs in the morning.

nexusmidas
Sarge

Post by nexusmidas » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:42 am

Friday Medium
Bench Press - 50x3x9 speed work using three different grips
Squat - 50x2x8 speed work
Pullup - 10, 9, 9

Pullups felt real good today plus I added reps to the second and third set, I added 4 reps total. Usually when I do pullups 3 times a week, my back doesn't feel fully recoverd after 1 day of rest, I think doing rows on Wednesday really did it for me. I hope one day I will be able to hit that 20 rep mark.

My back, chest en legs where shot after the Monday workout. Wednesdays and today's workout felt refreshing. I feel full of energy for the weekend.

I already ate my eggs and drank my milk before, but this week I've consciously been drinking at least one liter of full fat milk everyday and trying to eat more in general. I think I've been underestimating recovery in the past, I can't even remember when I actually felt stronger instead of weaker after a workout.

nexusmidas
Sarge

Post by nexusmidas » Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:04 pm

Week 2
Monday Heavy
Bench Press - 90x6, 85x6x2 (kg x reps x sets)
Deadlift - 100x6, 90x6x2
Pullup - 10, 8, 7

I really had set my mind to hit 90x6 on the bench today and succeeded after getting only 90x4 last week. What kind of bothers me is that I did squats with the same weight as the bench last week and the deadlift today with only 10kg heavier. Anyway over time squat and deads will probably progress faster than the bench. Besides that a 6RM in the squat or dead feels a lot heavier than the bench.

Deadlift 100x6 really felt like a max effort. After the deadlifts I was unfortunately unable to hit the same numbers on the pullups as last time, better luck next time.

powerlifter54
Sergeant Commanding

Post by powerlifter54 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:35 pm

Just keep stroking. Soon enough we will see the patterns of strengths and weaknesses and can adapt. But for now slow and steady wins the race.

Good work!

nexusmidas
Sarge

Post by nexusmidas » Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:08 pm

powerlifter54 wrote:Just keep stroking. Soon enough we will see the patterns of strengths and weaknesses and can adapt. But for now slow and steady wins the race.

Good work!
Thanks! Erectors are tight as hell, know any good drills to re leave soreness?

powerlifter54
Sergeant Commanding

Post by powerlifter54 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:40 pm

nexusmidas wrote:
powerlifter54 wrote:Just keep stroking. Soon enough we will see the patterns of strengths and weaknesses and can adapt. But for now slow and steady wins the race.

Good work!
Thanks! Erectors are tight as hell, know any good drills to re leave soreness?

Just the basic yoga lunging movments.

Freki
Sgt. Major

Post by Freki » Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:26 pm

This MIGHT help. From YRG, deep squat, called the catcher position. Exactly like a baseball catcher, kind of roll forward if you can, loosens up the low back. Alternate w/ a forward bend if so inclined.
"The reason that 'guru' is such a popular word is because 'charlatan' is so hard to spell."
@GSElevator: Can we please stop calling them hipsters and go back to calling them pussies?
Blood eagles solve everything.

nexusmidas
Sarge

Post by nexusmidas » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:06 am

Week 2
Wednesday Light
Dumbbell Bench Press - 20x10, 26kg x 10 reps x 5 sets
Squat - barx20x2, 50x10, 80x8, 70x8, 60x8
DB Row - 26x10, 22x10x3

Did some back extensions to get the blood flowing in my lower back. Maybe later on the day I will do some yoga type of stuff.

The Monday workout was pretty brutal, same as the week before. After a heavy sessions I often have a hard time to concentrate. So far I really like the heavy-medium-light system, it really gives you one session a week to give it all and on the medium and light days you leave the gym with something in the tank. The variety on the light and medium days feels good to my body.