I'm Back!

Post your training journals here if you like. I'll make back-ups to avoid losing your data.

Moderator: Dux

PC Polar Circle Person
Sgt. Major

I'm Back!

Post by PC Polar Circle Person » Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:45 am

Thursday, October 14. BJJ
New beginners class started, so I signed up as a student. Entered the Academy for the first time in 1 year + in the middle of MMA training. First I was hit by the smell. I had to stop at the door and just inhale the thick, sweet smell of blood, sweat, tears and all kind of greasy liquid shit floating around. While I was standing just inside of the door, inhaling in complete awe and eyes rolling in extacy, someone noticed me and a big round of welcoming smiles, hand shakes, hugs and just general brotherhood ensued. I was really touched by these half naked, sweaty guys rolling around on the floor and felt like coming home after a long absence.

I haven't really trained at all in over a year. Tried to run, but it's clearly only for ghey people who can handle the bore. Probably got more than my quota during the Marathon years. The back and neck has been a constant bitch, but there has been only a couple of days that I have been completely bedridden. It's still pretty much the same but I got tired of being such a pussy and decided to enroll for the beginners class. It will be twice a week, no sparring. For now I'm committed to do the beginners class with no sparring. My upper back is a bit fucked up from first class yesterday, but otherways I feel like a King. I was way fuckin' rusty, though, and immediately felt the need to read IGx to brush up on my true knowledges.

Soupbone

Re: I'm Back!

Post by Soupbone » Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:57 am

Welcome Back, Stig! Best of luck to you on healing and getting back on the jiujitsu train. It is an addiction and one that I embrace. Good to have you back.
I just started a blog called The Happy Grappler. Check it out at http://happygrappler.blogspot.com

Sassenach
ironslinger

Post by Sassenach » Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:29 am

Welcome back!
Kazuya Mishima wrote:they can pry the bacon from my cold dead hand.

Bobby
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bobby » Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:41 am

What`s the matter with the neck and back?Been a while since I saw that avatar.
You`ll toughen up.Unless you have a serious medical condition commonly refered to as
"being a pussy".

Dunn
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Dunn » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:59 pm

Great to have you back Stig. Hope the training continues to go well.

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates » Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:47 pm

Fuck yeah!

Welcome back amigo.
Southern Hospitality Is Aggressive Hospitality

Dazed

Post by Dazed » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:10 pm

Welcome back Stiggles, good to have you here.
How's the boat?
I don't think you realize the depths of Jezzy's sexual greed~ EZ
Big, strong men (preferably in kilts) are my lesbian kryptonite~Jez
the right kind of male can make Jezzy's reproductive instinct overcome her preference for black vagina~Gary

Freki
Sgt. Major

Post by Freki » Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:00 pm

Welcome back, o' frosty negro.
"The reason that 'guru' is such a popular word is because 'charlatan' is so hard to spell."
@GSElevator: Can we please stop calling them hipsters and go back to calling them pussies?
Blood eagles solve everything.

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:44 pm

Welcome back, Stigg!!!

DikTracy6000
Sgt. Major

Post by DikTracy6000 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:51 pm

Welcome back Stig, I got that great McGill Big Three routine with pics from you on rehabbing the back. Back to the basics! Been having some minor neck issues myself.

Crust Bucket
Lord of the thighs

Post by Crust Bucket » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:42 pm

Welcome back Mr. Sticks!
Glad you made it back to this sewer.
Good luck with your training, hopefully things will get better for you.
syaigh wrote: The thought of eating that giant veiny monstrosity makes me want to barf.
You're an ASS!
ImageImage

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno » Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:48 am

Welcome back, Stigger!

PC Polar Circle Person
Sgt. Major

Post by PC Polar Circle Person » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:39 am

Thanks for the warm Welcome, guys!

Tuesday, October 20. BJJ
Felt real good since last time. Only a couple of "warnings" from the upper back and a little stiffness: Psychologically I've felt like a God again. After we were done I felt like sparring already, but didn't.

PC Polar Circle Person
Sgt. Major

Post by PC Polar Circle Person » Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:34 pm

Thursday October 21. BJJ
Today we learned how to do the double leg takedown and some single leg variations. I drilled a bit harder, breathed hard and sweated like a filthy pig. Hopefully the road to better fitness won't be too rocky.

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells » Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:50 pm

Good to see you man. Stay healthy
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

PC Polar Circle Person
Sgt. Major

Post by PC Polar Circle Person » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:47 am

Thanks Steve!

Regarding the back injuries: alltogether 5 bulging discs all over the spine and spondylosis in the neck. The 2 discs in the lumbar spine are pretty much under control, the neck not so much (2 discs + spondylosis) and the thoraic spine - which is in a very difficult location (surgery only if emergency and big risks) not at all under control and causing constant problems. It hurts when doing something as simple as shrimps, but so far there is no clear negative results from the training I did so far (no sparring, but everything else). Maybe slightly more pain and a lot more stiffness, but this is to be expected.

Tuesday, October 26. BJJ
My legs were so sore from the takedown drills that I could barely walk for a couple of days. Was completely recovered before this session, though. Learned how to open the closed guard, pass, mount, back mount and RNC. Warmed up and drilled quite hard.

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells » Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:53 pm

Regarding the back injuries: alltogether 5 bulging discs all over the spine and spondylosis in the neck.
The degenerative stuff is scary. My dad has a 60-something buddy who was balls-to-the-wall through his 40's, and in later life has had several surgeries and keeping the pain manageable requires drugging him until he's loopy with serious addiction risks. Full disability, can't work.

Do you thing, but consider some sort of regimen that will mitigate the risks of degenerating spine + grappling. Maxwell would probably be a good advisor in this regard.

Won't clutter up your log further. Have fun, yo.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

PC Polar Circle Person
Sgt. Major

Post by PC Polar Circle Person » Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:07 pm

Steve, feel free to "clutter" up as much as possible. This is good advice and I can assure you that I think about this a lot all the time. It's not long ago that I had decided to not go back to grappling for the very reason you state here. I do not know how much of a risk I'm taking here, but I do know that the pain that it can cause is definitely too big of a price to pay. I need to make sure that I'm not making myself worse off with this. A first priority is to make sure that I don't snap right back into my overly competitive mindset. I also need to watch very carefully what's going on with my back and neck after different stuff. I can already tell that double legs will cause problems from using the head and neck as a lever. The question is: if I do it in small enough, progressive quantities, will it strengthen my neck and make it better or will it only cause more damage. If I can not continue with BJJ, I at least hope that I can get some kind of regular training going on on a regular basis again.

Thursday, October 28. BJJ
Learned how to do the scissor sweep and the umbrella sweep + some collar choke stuff. Sparred 2x2 minute guard pass/sweep positional sparring at around 70% in the end. It was great fun and no problem at all from the top, but bottom was fuckin' killing me. Sore in a pleasant way today. Backside of the neck is a little bit stiff and feels tired but no shooting pain, which is always a indicator of nerves getting pressed by the bulging discs. After the double legs I had some shooting pain for a couple of days, but even that is already way fuckin' better than at the end of May when I did 5 minutes of JM and couldn't fuckin' move my head for 2 days after it.

Dazed

Post by Dazed » Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:29 pm

Damn Nig, nothing to add except hope you can soldier on.
I don't think you realize the depths of Jezzy's sexual greed~ EZ
Big, strong men (preferably in kilts) are my lesbian kryptonite~Jez
the right kind of male can make Jezzy's reproductive instinct overcome her preference for black vagina~Gary

PC Polar Circle Person
Sgt. Major

Post by PC Polar Circle Person » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:54 pm

Tuesday, November 2. BJJ
Did escapes from under sidemount. Bridging and regaining the guard and another one was reversing the situation by rolling the other guy over. I was a bit concerned after these and the neck felt really worked, but it seems that I got away with just a bit of soreness. Still on track. Can't wait for todays session...

PC Polar Circle Person
Sgt. Major

Post by PC Polar Circle Person » Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:15 am

Thursday, November 4. BJJ
Mount escapes by reversing or regaining guard. Couple of 2 minute rounds of mount escape sparring. Went pretty hard and had to die and breathe hard on the tatami a few times. A couple of hours later I had some pretty intense neck pain for about 15 minutes. No other problems.

PC Polar Circle Person
Sgt. Major

Post by PC Polar Circle Person » Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:10 pm

Tuesday, November 9. BJJ
The neck and back has been like new ever since the short pain spell was gone last Thursday, so it seems that I'm doing something right here. Today we did some side control stuff and learned a new arm bar that I hadn't seen before. Same goes for many other details - lot's of new stuff has been developed during the 1.5 years I was gone and so far I have liked everything I've seen.

After class I stayed and did a 15 minute round of sparring at about 70% with an older blue belt that I knew I could trust not to do anything crazy. It was nice to see that nothing had really changed while I was gone. It felt so good to spar again and I even surprised myself with a near damn perfect Omo Plata sweep that seemed to come as a reflex without even thinking about it. I could go on and on about how well I did, but that was not the point with the sparring. I just wanted to roll with a guy who is lighter, older and more careful than myself and it was not a competition. I need to repeat this all the time: I'm not competing. Right now the upper back is hurting (30 min after training) and I can not completely turn my head, but lets wait and see what the morning brings. I have a feeling it will be all good.

PC Polar Circle Person
Sgt. Major

Post by PC Polar Circle Person » Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:17 am

Thursday, November 11- BJJ
Arm bars and triangles. I was the Uke and I put a little bit of pressure on the neck on purpose. Was ok still about 1 hour later, only felt thoroughly worked, and then got a bit more intense moment of pain - about twice as long and intense as after last time, so about 30 minutes and about 5 on a scale from 1 to 10 (10 is where the universe ceases to exist and there is nothing but incomprehensible pain - you'll fuckin' shoot yourself for sure if you can grab a gun - so I'm playing with pretty massive stakes here). During the 30 minutes of pain I decided that I'm not ready for any kind of cranking or pressure on the neck at all, so if I begin to spar and someone hits a choke or some such shit, I need to tap immediately. Again it has been mostly better afterwards, but last night (24 hours after training) I got a surprise 1 second 7 on the scale while turning my head quickly to the left. At 7 you'll release an involuntary moan. I'm thinking a lot...

EDIT: The 15 minutes of pain was a week ago, not last time.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:30 am

welcome back my brother
"Prepare your hearts as a fortress, for there will be no other." -Francisco Pizarro González

PC Polar Circle Person
Sgt. Major

Post by PC Polar Circle Person » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:51 am

Thanks, Brother!

Tuesday, November 18. BJJ
Double and single legs. Used my head as a lever again and the neck has been hurting a little bit, but in a different way. Feels more like muscular problems than disc related. No nerve pain.