Cougie's Log

Post your training journals here if you like. I'll make back-ups to avoid losing your data.

Moderator: Dux

tzg
Gunny

Re: Cougie's Log

Post by tzg » Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:31 pm

Sorry to hear about the latest crap on your knee. I hope you pull through okay.

Jay

Post by Jay » Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:58 pm

lightly loaded squats should be ok as long as you maintain the proper form, as with DL as well.

Box jumps were the most likely issue, maybe that and the higher intensity workouts.

Shit happens, learn from it and adapt.

TheCoug
Staff Sergeant

Post by TheCoug » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:56 am

Two massages.

First one two days ago for 2 hours. She worked my posterior and released quite a bit. I hadn't felt so good in months. Yesterday it crept back quickly...the extreme tightness. Need adjustments as well as massages. Last night she worked on my hips and abs. It's amazing I've been able to walk.

There is no way to move forward with a body so out of whack. As soon as my butt was released it felt like my hips were in fire. I am so used to carrying around the stiffness and the pain.

Not. Any. More.
portions of the following video are dedicated to my igx fans. muah.

TheCoug
Staff Sergeant

Post by TheCoug » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:59 am

Ash Uber Alles wrote:lightly loaded squats should be ok as long as you maintain the proper form, as with DL as well.

Box jumps were the most likely issue, maybe that and the higher intensity workouts.

Shit happens, learn from it and adapt.
Hey ash. I'm just going to not load until I see my doc on the 7th. That means a 45 lb bar, rowing, ( I hate rowing but have improved a lot and want to get even better), and I guess it's time to aim for 21 consecutive pull ups for Fran. ;).

I appreciate you being here. Don't ever leave me ok?

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates » Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:05 am

Good luck Coug. We all deal with our bodies betraying us you just have to grin and train around it.
Southern Hospitality Is Aggressive Hospitality

Mountebank
Sgt. Major

Post by Mountebank » Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:27 pm

Try some Epsom salt baths. As hot as you can stand, with a minimum of 2 cups of the salt (assuming a normal size bath). I'd personally use more.

If you feel less tension after that for a day or three (and/or sleep better), it most likely indicates you are magnesium deficient. Lack of magnesium can cause overly tight muscles (which may relax with massage, yet creep back to tightness, sound familiar?).

Report back if you do this.

Also, your workouts right now should be 90% spent on stretching, foam rolling, lacrosse balling the tight bits. Your old motor patterns are so engrained that you are easily undoing your therapist's work every time you work out. If you want something to change, then you need to change something!

Jay

Post by Jay » Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:36 pm

Quackmire wrote:Try some Epsom salt baths. As hot as you can stand, with a minimum of 2 cups of the salt (assuming a normal size bath). I'd personally use more.

If you feel less tension after that for a day or three (and/or sleep better), it most likely indicates you are magnesium deficient. Lack of magnesium can cause overly tight muscles (which may relax with massage, yet creep back to tightness, sound familiar?).

Report back if you do this.

Also, your workouts right now should be 90% spent on stretching, foam rolling, lacrosse balling the tight bits. Your old motor patterns are so engrained that you are easily undoing your therapist's work every time you work out. If you want something to change, then you need to change something!
Good call about the magnesium deficiency, shit I didn't think of that one...

Don't worry, coug, I'm not going haha

TheCoug
Staff Sergeant

Post by TheCoug » Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:05 pm

THANKS!

I will be home sometime friday. If I can get a bath in before then I will and will report back. And yes on the stretching. Feel better today than I have in months. I want to kidnap this massage therapist. It's so hard to find one who knows her shit.

TheCoug
Staff Sergeant

Post by TheCoug » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:45 pm

The magical therapist recommended a magical chiro guy. He put me through a long list of little demos, to conclude that yup, it's all pretty much fershit right now. But with proper stretching and training the muscles that are not firing...hello....there is hope.

Knee is doing well with rest. It's my mind that is still struggling... And so it goes.

I'm reading training logs and I think...but how do you do that so consistenly on your own? I was on my own in gyms for 30 years...I know when it's in you, you do it. It's what you love or need or both.

It's not in me to leave the group setting of crossfit. Just a fact.

Jay

Post by Jay » Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:56 am

TheCoug wrote:The magical therapist recommended a magical chiro guy. He put me through a long list of little demos, to conclude that yup, it's all pretty much fershit right now. But with proper stretching and training the muscles that are not firing...hello....there is hope.

Knee is doing well with rest. It's my mind that is still struggling... And so it goes.

I'm reading training logs and I think...but how do you do that so consistenly on your own? I was on my own in gyms for 30 years...I know when it's in you, you do it. It's what you love or need or both.

It's not in me to leave the group setting of crossfit. Just a fact.
I have never had a consistent training partner in my 17 years of being in the gym. Ever. Even now I workout alone because of my schedule with training people. I often have to workout at 1 in the afternoon when the gym is empty because that is my down time. I'll grab a spotter if one is here for bench, but for squats I just set the pins up just in case I bail on a heavy set.

Even when I did @fit workouts I did them alone. I never got into the whole group exercise setting and I used to try it here and there at @fit gyms and I didn't like it. I don't like people yelling "come on pick it up" when I know my limitations and when I need a rest.

Everyone has different needs that way, some like groups, some like being alone. Nothing wrong with either one.

You need to make sure your muscles are activating, especially the glutes: http://stronglifts.com/how-to-optimize- ... ctivation/

Also look up Bret Contreras and read his blog, he is a glute freak. You can't go wrong with that at all.

powerlifter54
Sergeant Commanding

Post by powerlifter54 » Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:20 pm

TheCoug wrote: ...I know when it's in you, you do it.
YES
It's what you love or need or both
NO! It is not what you love or need. You only love what loves you back. And you only need water, food, shelter, and creatine. Working out or training is what you do, not who you are.
It's not in me to leave the group setting of crossfit. Just a fact
See the last sentence i wrote. Perhaps telling your friends of your issues and asking them for some help and support may be illustrative toboth of you. Hell a bunch of @fit haters are helping you and we don't even know you.
"Start slowly, then ease off". Tortuga Golden Striders Running Club, Pensacola 1984.

"But even snake wrestling beats life in the cube, for me at least. In measured doses."-Lex

TheCoug
Staff Sergeant

Post by TheCoug » Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:34 pm

Ash.

I joined my first gym in 1980. Were you born? 30 years later after zero aerobics, zumba or bootcamps ( ok I went to a few aerobics classes but I mean not ever working out in groups) I was ready to shoot myself in the head at the gym. Then.....dramatic music......crossfit. Bam! Loved everything about it...as you know.

So I totally get being a loner...I just don't want to imagine it again. The group thing a la crossfit ...I will spare you. I took to it completely.

Pl...I don't quite know why I am here rather than the xfit forums except that it feels right. There were helpful people there and of course real life people know what's up.... You guys seem to have real experience with injury.... I agree that injury and xfit is a huuuugeee problem. I am learning a lot here...you guys have a lot of knowledge.

Rest day. Again. Will do Epsom salt bath today. I don't like this much rest.

Happy t day!!

TheCoug
Staff Sergeant

Post by TheCoug » Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:16 am

Buy one get one free Epsom salts. Buy enough to soak the family. Their bathtub drain doesn't work. No bath. Get. Me. Outta. Here.

One more on why I'm here. I came because of the couch thread. I mean really....the couch thread? I was astounded that some of you were civil and even welcoming on this thread. I feel like there is untold experience and knowledge here. I'm paying attention and can only say thanks!

TheCoug
Staff Sergeant

Post by TheCoug » Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:16 am

Damn ipad
Last edited by TheCoug on Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheCoug
Staff Sergeant

Post by TheCoug » Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:17 am

Damn ipad

Jay

Post by Jay » Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:15 am

TheCoug wrote:Ash.

I joined my first gym in 1980. Were you born? 30 years later after zero aerobics, zumba or bootcamps ( ok I went to a few aerobics classes but I mean not ever working out in groups) I was ready to shoot myself in the head at the gym. Then.....dramatic music......crossfit. Bam! Loved everything about it...as you know.

So I totally get being a loner...I just don't want to imagine it again. The group thing a la crossfit ...I will spare you. I took to it completely.

Pl...I don't quite know why I am here rather than the xfit forums except that it feels right. There were helpful people there and of course real life people know what's up.... You guys seem to have real experience with injury.... I agree that injury and xfit is a huuuugeee problem. I am learning a lot here...you guys have a lot of knowledge.

Rest day. Again. Will do Epsom salt bath today. I don't like this much rest.

Happy t day!!
I was born in 1974. In 1980 I was in first grade. I started working out religiously at 17. I learned the hard way so many times I can't count.

Fuck the @fit forums, they are filled with fanboys, @fit apologists, people who know LITTLE about training, kool aid suckers, etc. You want truth, you got it here. I've posted there, I got a lot of "attaboys" and "you the man!!!!"... I don't need cheers, I want criticism. I want people to look at my training program and say, "dude, why are you doing that, you should do this, its more effective"... you learn at places like this, at the @fit boards you don't learn nearly as much.

There are exceptions I am sure, but that place is as retarded as Corky from "Get a Life".

TheCoug
Staff Sergeant

Post by TheCoug » Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:45 am

Well.. I'm here Ash.

Travel Day. Will do stretching and epsom salt baths once I land. Knee feels better from rest. Bon Voyage.

TheCoug
Staff Sergeant

Post by TheCoug » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:34 pm

It's time for "Cougie" to go. I have nothing to prove here.. and like one of the foulmouthed ignorant guys said in one of the threads - you don't go back to abuse thinking it's good for you.

To me it's like standing in front of a bunch of guys who are swinging punches that never land. It's amusing for awhile but then, aren't there better things to do with your time than stand in front of people who'se best they have to offer is hatred?

Ash and PL 54 and the others who have been civil.. thanks. Happy Holidays and you can definitely find me laughing a whole lot on FB.

snatch grip
Gunny

Post by snatch grip » Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:22 pm

DrDonkeyLove
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DrDonkeyLove » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:01 am

I presume you still lurk a bit.

It's a shame you decided to leave the log forum. Your knee problem interested me. One of the things that happens here when you just post what you do and look at others logs is you can find people with similar inclinations or problems. It's good cross pollination that I don't think you'll find in Couchville. You're keeping yourself together pretty well but at 46 father time makes demands that don't seem crossfit friendly to me.

Just this week a light went on for me based on something Fat Cat is doing. It might be just what I'm looking for. If not, at least it was an avenue to explore.
Mao wrote:Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party

TheCoug
Staff Sergeant

Post by TheCoug » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:51 pm

I don't really know how long I'll stay, but it was suggested I come back and ok.. why not. Tomorrow is my birthday and while I have NEVER celebrated my birthday, this year, I am. So buy me something really nice and expensive.

Yes yes, cunt, attention whore, ugly, looks like a man, smells bad, blah blah. I put a little sumpthin in my vid for the Irongarm crew. Link is below, I'm trying to figure out how to get it to actually show.

Training.

Had an MRI. It was gorgeous. Beautiful. The knee has healed better than we imagined. The microfracture did it's job.. there is a beautiful layer of tissue where the cartilage should have been. That was unexpected. The ACL is solid. The surgeon believed the pain is probably scar tissue and if I chose, I can go get it cleaned up.

his words - I wouldn't worry about the pain. If it doesn't go away or really inhibits you, we can clean it up.

That lifted the biggest burden off. I was so scared the surgery wasn't a success or something needed re-tweaked.

So. Training.

I am here as a CrossFitter. I love CrossFit. I have listened to the criticisms. I understand them. But I'm happy as can be. If you don't want to read crossfit logs and want to call me stupid pathetic names for being a crossfitter, go do it somewhere else. Get the fuck off this page.

I've been training at full capacity. Three days on. One day off. I don't do box jumps or double unders. I'm working my way back up to bearing heavy loads. My box programs strength + short metcons so I've been doing Deads, FS, BS, OHS Cleans, Jerks, and doing work on Olys with an OLY coach once a week. I did a Deadlifting Clinic two Sundays ago.

And, I do xfit metcons and "the girls"

My focus is FORM FORM FORM. I'm not loading one more bumper until I am absolutely sure I can handle it properly.

People can absolutely rake crossfit through the fucking shit all they want. I have great people around me who care about health and form and progress. The owner of my box is a lifting competitor who has to force herself to do WODS. She owns a crossfit and is all about lifting.

I am in a big city and can turn in any direction to get solid, smart coaching. All the while, being happy with happy, positive, supportive people. I've never been happier in my life.

In the last three months I lost 4 pounds, went from 26% bodyfat to 21%, and gained 4 pounds of lean body mass doing mostly paleo and crossfit. I've been paleo a LONG TIME... this is not new. What's new is that in the last 6 weeks I'm training at full capacity.

So. There it is.

powerlifter54
Sergeant Commanding

Post by powerlifter54 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:18 pm

TheCoug wrote:I don't really know how long I'll stay, but it was suggested I come back and ok.. why not. Tomorrow is my birthday and while I have NEVER celebrated my birthday, this year, I am. So buy me something really nice and expensive.

Yes yes, cunt, attention whore, ugly, looks like a man, smells bad, blah blah. I put a little sumpthin in my vid for the Irongarm crew. Link is below, I'm trying to figure out how to get it to actually show.

Training.

Had an MRI. It was gorgeous. Beautiful. The knee has healed better than we imagined. The microfracture did it's job.. there is a beautiful layer of tissue where the cartilage should have been. That was unexpected. The ACL is solid. The surgeon believed the pain is probably scar tissue and if I chose, I can go get it cleaned up.

his words - I wouldn't worry about the pain. If it doesn't go away or really inhibits you, we can clean it up.

That lifted the biggest burden off. I was so scared the surgery wasn't a success or something needed re-tweaked.

So. Training.

I am here as a CrossFitter. I love CrossFit. I have listened to the criticisms. I understand them. But I'm happy as can be. If you don't want to read crossfit logs and want to call me stupid pathetic names for being a crossfitter, go do it somewhere else. Get the fuck off this page.

I've been training at full capacity. Three days on. One day off. I don't do box jumps or double unders. I'm working my way back up to bearing heavy loads. My box programs strength + short metcons so I've been doing Deads, FS, BS, OHS Cleans, Jerks, and doing work on Olys with an OLY coach once a week. I did a Deadlifting Clinic two Sundays ago.

And, I do xfit metcons and "the girls"

My focus is FORM FORM FORM. I'm not loading one more bumper until I am absolutely sure I can handle it properly.

People can absolutely rake crossfit through the fucking shit all they want. I have great people around me who care about health and form and progress. The owner of my box is a lifting competitor who has to force herself to do WODS. She owns a crossfit and is all about lifting.

I am in a big city and can turn in any direction to get solid, smart coaching. All the while, being happy with happy, positive, supportive people. I've never been happier in my life.

In the last three months I lost 4 pounds, went from 26% bodyfat to 21%, and gained 4 pounds of lean body mass doing mostly paleo and crossfit. I've been paleo a LONG TIME... this is not new. What's new is that in the last 6 weeks I'm training at full capacity.

So. There it is.
i ran that through the PL54 translator on my Laptop:

"Blah blah blah...i didn't screw up my knee despite my efforts and complete lack of help and constructive critique from my @fit buds...blah blah blah i stopped doing box jumps like you said...blah blah blah i am focusing on form and am doing OK."

Cool. Welcome back. Be smart.

and don't ever forget...
10. Acknowledge your social attraction to the @fit community and enjoy it, but be a selfish, soulless, self absorbed, and ruthless protector of your body. They won't drink one less beer after the wod if you end up jacked up in a cast or in rehab. Training is about enhancing quality of life not lessening it.
"Start slowly, then ease off". Tortuga Golden Striders Running Club, Pensacola 1984.

"But even snake wrestling beats life in the cube, for me at least. In measured doses."-Lex

Mountebank
Sgt. Major

Post by Mountebank » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:23 pm

I'd say you should find the best FMS (Functional Movement Screen) person in the greater PHX area, get a full work-up from that person, and do your homework from them diligently.

Ignoring pain and we'll fix it later if it turns out to be a problem...that's an interesting approach. I'm shocked, just shocked, that it would appeal to an @Fer. :Hangman:

TheCoug
Staff Sergeant

Post by TheCoug » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:51 pm

We examined the MRIs front, back and sideways. This guy had been extremely conservative every step of the way. I was absolutely shocked as well. I asked over and again... he said he believes it's scar tissue.. there was no indication of anything that could cause pain otherwise. The area of the pain would have indicated that the microfracture didn't create the tissue it was supposed to, and maybe bone was still exposed. It was beautifully healed.

You can't do anything about scar tissue except remove it. I will get an FMS screen person. Know why? Cuz it's FUNCTIONAL. ;)

However, because I am not as stupid as that, (crossfitter notwithstanding) I don't ignore the pain. It's raining hard today. My knee is swollen from the humidity. I aint doing a thing. That's why I am on my ass here rather than running off to WOD.

I know it's like... not acceptable here. But not all crossfitters are ignorant morons. They may be depraved attention whores (see video link below), but sometimes you need some smarts to do the attention whore thing right.

TheCoug
Staff Sergeant

Post by TheCoug » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:55 pm

PL54.

Love your translator. I should use it every time I write.

Love this even more

0 Acknowledge your social attraction to the @fit community and enjoy it, but be a selfish, soulless, self absorbed, and ruthless protector of your body. They won't drink one less beer after the wod if you end up jacked up in a cast or in rehab. Training is about enhancing quality of life not lessening it.

LOVE THAT. TRUE. You are my favorite here and I know that doesn't mean shit but you know, it's how I feel. :heart: