White Belt for Life

Post your training journals here if you like. I'll make back-ups to avoid losing your data.

Moderator: Dux

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Re: White Belt for Life

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:55 pm

I like how your deload weeks keeps a consistency, the basic 4 plate plus a little chain weight doubles for multiple sets. Exact opposite of where i'm headed with my deloads but the logic of it groks immediately.
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

powerlifter54
Sergeant Commanding

Post by powerlifter54 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:42 pm

Blaidd Drwg wrote:I like how your deload weeks keeps a consistency, the basic 4 plate plus a little chain weight doubles for multiple sets. Exact opposite of where i'm headed with my deloads but the logic of it groks immediately.
For a very long time i did anything other than the lift itself, i.e, sled drags, farmers walks, TBDLs, truck pushes. All great and maybe better for enhancing recovery, having some fun and mental reset. But i found the lighter DE type version of the lift, while more boring and less fun, lessened the week 1 WTF IS ON THE BAR? feeling!
"Start slowly, then ease off". Tortuga Golden Striders Running Club, Pensacola 1984.

"But even snake wrestling beats life in the cube, for me at least. In measured doses."-Lex

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:03 am

bench opener
135x5
185x3
225x3
275x1
315x1
345x1
335x1

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:24 am

Timing and stretching.

135x4
225x3
315x3
405x2

Fast and easy

Bench.

135x4
185x3
225x3
315x1

Fast and Easy

powerlifter54
Sergeant Commanding

Post by powerlifter54 » Sat Nov 12, 2016 2:29 pm

Go Big. By which i mean 6 for 6 at subtotal. 2 deads and read the cards. Hold, fold, or Bold.
"Start slowly, then ease off". Tortuga Golden Striders Running Club, Pensacola 1984.

"But even snake wrestling beats life in the cube, for me at least. In measured doses."-Lex

Koko, Beware
Gunny

Post by Koko, Beware » Sat Nov 12, 2016 4:52 pm

When is the meet?
In the mill, getting down.
-Kotto

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:20 am

World Championships. Mixed bag. Learned a HUGE amount, will recount lessons later. Met a bunch of really great guys and the competition at the World level is just disturbing even in a second tier org like IPL. 90% of the dudes looked like out of season bodybuilders. I was the smallest dude by far in my session.

Short story, Felt amazing going in, everything was flying, reduced openers was a great call and I smashed the fuck out of it, second attempt the platform was giving me trouble, had a hard time settling in and got forward on 584ish. Took it again and buried itm was moving brilliant and then the left upper quad popped. Badly. I hit the platform on both knees. Spotters were PHENOMENAL. Basically just watched my last 6 months swirling down the drain while lying there waiting on medical. Got up and Lowered my bench opener to 330. Got fluidsm loosseded as much as possible. Had to bench without feet really bit opener was. I took 359 for a second and as soon as leg drive kicked in off the bottom I almost lost it from the pain and cramping in the back and hams. Needed to get an assist off the platform again.

Felt sorry for myself like a little bitch over a cup of coffee and figured I would just SLDL the pulls. Reduced that opener to 507, it flew, took 584, it flew...training partner said...go 640..I wanted a full meet DL pr and chance to compete again in 4 weeks so I took 612. Stupid easy. Should have taken 628. Due to injuries in the masters class and dumb luck, I ended up with Gold. So...my performance was shit and the injury probably avoidable...but I got a a lot of props from the judges and hug from the chief judge after hobbling out to make my last pull.

I'm embarrassed about that bit but very very happy to have learned so much over one afternoon and I'm super stoked with the contacts I made.

Also..Vegas is a shithole. If one more tiny skank in a halter top asks me "AREYOUAFIGHTER???????" I am going to see about going back to extreme sports like squirrel hunting and pancake eating.

powerlifter54
Sergeant Commanding

Post by powerlifter54 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:20 pm

Blaidd Drwg wrote:World Championships. Mixed bag. Learned a HUGE amount, will recount lessons later. Met a bunch of really great guys and the competition at the World level is just disturbing even in a second tier org like IPL. 90% of the dudes looked like out of season bodybuilders. I was the smallest dude by far in my session.

Short story, Felt amazing going in, everything was flying, reduced openers was a great call and I smashed the fuck out of it, second attempt the platform was giving me trouble, had a hard time settling in and got forward on 584ish. Took it again and buried itm was moving brilliant and then the left upper quad popped. Badly. I hit the platform on both knees. Spotters were PHENOMENAL. Basically just watched my last 6 months swirling down the drain while lying there waiting on medical. Got up and Lowered my bench opener to 330. Got fluidsm loosseded as much as possible. Had to bench without feet really bit opener was. I took 359 for a second and as soon as leg drive kicked in off the bottom I almost lost it from the pain and cramping in the back and hams. Needed to get an assist off the platform again.

Felt sorry for myself like a little bitch over a cup of coffee and figured I would just SLDL the pulls. Reduced that opener to 507, it flew, took 584, it flew...training partner said...go 640..I wanted a full meet DL pr and chance to compete again in 4 weeks so I took 612. Stupid easy. Should have taken 628. Due to injuries in the masters class and dumb luck, I ended up with Gold. So...my performance was shit and the injury probably avoidable...but I got a a lot of props from the judges and hug from the chief judge after hobbling out to make my last pull.

I'm embarrassed about that bit but very very happy to have learned so much over one afternoon and I'm super stoked with the contacts I made.

Also..Vegas is a shithole. If one more tiny skank in a halter top asks me "AREYOUAFIGHTER???????" I am going to see about going back to extreme sports like squirrel hunting and pancake eating.
Wow. Well done. Looking forward to your expanded take. Is quad on same side as the adductor issue.

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:14 pm

opposite side as you might expect. Although I never felt a single twinge from either of them and the adductors felt super loose and strong the last few weeks. In warm ups I felt that Odd already warm feeling where everything was quick and snappy right away. So... perhaps there are clues there as well.

powerlifter54
Sergeant Commanding

Post by powerlifter54 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:02 pm

Blaidd Drwg wrote:opposite side as you might expect. Although I never felt a single twinge from either of them and the adductors felt super loose and strong the last few weeks. In warm ups I felt that Odd already warm feeling where everything was quick and snappy right away. So... perhaps there are clues there as well.
Maybe maybe not. Correlation is not causation. You tapered perfectly and were in the supercompensation zone IMHO. But betting you favored the bad leg. It doesn't take much and probably isn't easy to spot. But little things like foot placement comparison and leg hypertrophy can be clues. Not like i figured this out on the front end, just stuff learned the hard way.

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:48 pm

powerlifter54 wrote:
Blaidd Drwg wrote:opposite side as you might expect. Although I never felt a single twinge from either of them and the adductors felt super loose and strong the last few weeks. In warm ups I felt that Odd already warm feeling where everything was quick and snappy right away. So... perhaps there are clues there as well.
Maybe maybe not. Correlation is not causation. You tapered perfectly and were in the supercompensation zone IMHO. But betting you favored the bad leg. It doesn't take much and probably isn't easy to spot. But little things like foot placement comparison and leg hypertrophy can be clues. Not like i figured this out on the front end, just stuff learned the hard way.
Bingo. The leg difference is a big clue. My left is bigger and stronger than the right plus it's longer. It's been much stronger since I had the knee reattached back in 2000 so I took it as a fact of life but as I've gotten little dings here and there, it's been more pronounced as a factor.

I will say this, no excuses just observation, a bunch of us on platform 2 were getting forward on our openers. There was a little wiggle in the uniformity of the platform surface and I think by not really being methodical about where I walked out I may have set myself up for just what you described. If I'd have been a little more observant and less rushed and paranoid about depth in my set up I could have adjusted. My training partner saw the lift and said it was the best he's seen me speed and depth wise at those weights which tells me I was nailing it but maybe a shade more deliberate would have been better. Just silly mistake really. I'd never throw out of trig i hadn'tt inspected first, no idea why I waited until my opener to even look around on the platform.

Hugest lesson by far....this is not strongman or HG...There are fewer details to focus on, but those details matter exponentially more. Everything from hydration in a Vegas Hotel (oi that place was dry as fuck) to choosing your warm up platform correctly. I was so pleased with how well the WU was going I din;lt realize until I took the 500 before putting on wraps that I was squatting with the small Texas power bar, not the 25k meet bar. Lots of little things here and there for sure.

powerlifter54
Sergeant Commanding

Post by powerlifter54 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:59 pm

Blaidd Drwg wrote:
powerlifter54 wrote:
Bingo. The leg difference is a big clue. My left is bigger and stronger than the right plus it's longer. It's been much stronger since I had the knee reattached back in 2000 so I took it as a fact of life but as I've gotten little dings here and there, it's been more pronounced as a factor.

I will say this, no excuses just observation, a bunch of us on platform 2 were getting forward on our openers. There was a little wiggle in the uniformity of the platform surface and I think by not really being methodical about where I walked out I may have set myself up for just what you described. If I'd have been a little more observant and less rushed and paranoid about depth in my set up I could have adjusted. My training partner saw the lift and said it was the best he's seen me speed and depth wise at those weights which tells me I was nailing it but maybe a shade more deliberate would have been better. Just silly mistake really. I'd never throw out of trig i hadn'tt inspected first, no idea why I waited until my opener to even look around on the platform.

Hugest lesson by far....this is not strongman or HG...There are fewer details to focus on, but those details matter exponentially more. Everything from hydration in a Vegas Hotel (oi that place was dry as fuck) to choosing your warm up platform correctly. I was so pleased with how well the WU was going I din;lt realize until I took the 500 before putting on wraps that I was squatting with the small Texas power bar, not the 25k meet bar. Lots of little things here and there for sure.
Interesting. Yeah, i learned to walk the whole meet site, check each platform, bench, bar, knurl, and rack, and check the warmup room's benches, bars, and plates. i checked the walk from where i was going to pull on my suit and/or pee to the warmup room. i staked out a good staging area. You can't control everything but you can prepare for just about anything a PL meet throws at you in the US. People who travel to other countries to lift have my huge admiration.

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:49 pm

I will say this about Vegas...it's a shithole but I didn't need to leave the meet hotel once, the bathrooms were clean and well stocked, the venue itself was well controlled temp wise and you could order food and liquor to the actual meet floor. I spent the entire weekend pretty much solo in my room, getting decent room service or watching the Hawks Pats (ThaCheaterBowl) game at the bar downstairs.

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:59 pm

WED. noodling around in the gym. Benched up to 225x10 and demoed stones for some new kids. Did the 245,275 and 300 for singles. I used tacky on the 300.

Ok..Meet download.

Bulletized reflections.

I feel like my prep was spot on after all. I felt so ridiculously good that I am accepting Jack's earlier reflection that teh super-compensation window was about right.

I made rookie mistakes. Not walking the platform. I let myself get dehydrated. Plane, Vegas Hotel, shitty lunch the day before. By weigh ins I was 230 after a budlight and tacos.

I made some smart calls. Picked smart openers, made sure i developed a working system in the warm up area so i could time weights, attempts, knee wraps etc.

The lead up I made one massive Mistake. I didn't listen to my gut and let my training just follow the template.

My gut said...stay with volume longer, more practice in wraps. More attempts at "near opener" weight. I really feel like my mental toughness is just not what it should be because I'm constantly edging into heavy territory but not living there.

I dropped hypertrophy work too early. I knew I'd be an the 242's and floated in the 225-235 range. I looked fairly deflated by 3 weeks before the meet.

Somewhat contradictory to the above...I'm too fat for this level of competition. Every one these guys at this level is not fucking around BF wise. They are lean (sub 15%) and cutting 10-20 pounds min. Raw lifting requires meat. Meat is heavy. It's a weight class sport. That simple.

Diet...see above....I let my food intake float with how I felt, didn't force myself to eat hard and nutritionally complete.

Drugs: I think I found a good balance:

Indica to sleep.
Pentadeca for recovery 500mcg ed/eod
Pentosan for the knees 250mg EW
Trt at 140mg a week
8-6 weeks out, tren at 250mg a week MAX.

Yes. I'm leaving boatloads on the table drug wise but I experimented up from there and down from there and that is what feels the healthiest gives a little recovery bump and lets me maintain my human relationships. I could probably triple that amount with no huge benefits.

That's it for now.

Going forward, I know what I need to do and what i can get away with doing...then real question is whether to hire out or not. I coach people who compete at a higher level and the magic works...I can make good judgements, give them the right tweaks, and anticipate what's next. I'm not 100% confident I can do that for myself...I'm also not 100% confident I can trust anyone else to make those specific hard gut calls. One of the guys I'm thinking of is a Duffin guy, trains folks at a very high level and is also super dialed in to nutrition. He's somewhat local as well.

OTOH...I'm not sure I can really continue to develop without figuring some of this shit out on my own. I was always self coached once I got into the Elite/A/Cat1 type categories in other sports...but this is different in that I'm fighting age as well as genetics at this point...So it may be bit beyond me to be my own lawyer, so to speak.

EDIT: Jack/Shaf/Syaigh/Testi et al...your thoughts on this self vs. farmed out programming would be appreciated. Post them here if you like. brutal criticism is always welcome.
Last edited by Blaidd Drwg on Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:22 pm

Bench. Rehab workout #1.

Pause bench Ladders.
3x(2,4,6) @ 275 go up next week.

Reapers=50 reps (5x10)
Incline DB rows=50 reps (5x10)
Side delt flyw=50 reps (5x10)
cable uprght face pulls (aka duffin pulls)=50 reps (5x10)
cable curls=50 reps (5x10)

powerlifter54
Sergeant Commanding

Post by powerlifter54 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:10 pm

Just because you blew a quad doesn't mean you were doing things wrong. Shit happens in PL. i agree on keeping the volume up. Louie pounded this in on me in several phone calls. Don't start out with so much volume you can't stay within 80% of the NBL late in the cycle. The Russians counted every rep as volume above 50% of training max. So expand and extend your warmups, and as you lower main meet lift NBL UP your assistance volume. i also dropped my conditioning workouts in the peeking cycle but kept the recovery enhancement in. Yeah getting bigger and leaner matters, in the BP and squat in that order. Too fat and your fingers get sausagey.

An outside coach. Disclaimer: Most people i know and respect have somebody else do their programming. But i take my planning and adapting and adjustments very seriously and while i trained with, took advice from, and stole ideas from great lifters like Jesse Kellum and James Burdette, Louie, and PLUSA, figuring it out on my own was very satisfying and in the end very efficient. For me at least. Plus if somebody else programmed for me i would be evaluating their programming in my head and not paying attention to the clues i needed to read.

And one reason i was in the sport was the appeal of it was on me if i failed or succeeded. Some long drives home after bad days but when you put it together and stand on the podium doing it on your own, it is very, very sweet.

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:06 am

Thank you Jack.

ThaTs all useful and resonant. I guess the real question I'm pondering right a do I have the mental chops to pay attention to my own details. I do it well with others....but

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates » Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:20 am

There's a lot of nugget worthy info on this page.
Southern Hospitality Is Aggressive Hospitality

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:21 am

What's your take on the query ?

Outsource or go deep with my own stuff.

powerlifter54
Sergeant Commanding

Post by powerlifter54 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:17 am

Blaidd Drwg wrote:Thank you Jack.

ThaTs all useful and resonant. I guess the real question I'm pondering right a do I have the mental chops to pay attention to my own details. I do it well with others....but

Trust your gut feeling either way. When i boiled it down to "does this make me stronger on meet day or does it make me a gym all star?" it got very clear. As i said before i was never the strongest guy in any group i trained with, but i was always the guy who had great meet days and made a lot of lifts. i remember my attitude going against even the best USAPL guys was that if i make 8 lifts i will medal. i made 6 and 5 and came in 8th and 4th. Never lost making 8 or more attempts.

Bottom line get a coach if you think it will help you make 7/8/9 lifts on meet day. If not, keep doing it yourself. But make lifts on meet day. Whatever it takes. A shockingly simple plan that works great.

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:54 am

Thanks Jack.

Our thoughts run in similar patterns . Good to get your insight .

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:41 am

Laid out my rehab block for the Doctor. All good.

Quad may have some compartment syndromishness.....Need to give squats another week. If swelling and numbness doesn't resolve we gotta open it up and debrid some of the fuct up tissues.

So....time to work on that bench and SLDL.

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:44 am

Rehab block day 1.
Deadlift no belt
135x5
225x5
315x3
405x1
405x10
405x10
405x10
405x11

I admit it feels soooo good to be back to my old KK style pull.

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:39 pm

Pause Bench ladders
135x5
225x4
285x2,4,6,2,4,5,2,4,4

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer