The Road to 100 Pushups

Post your training journals here if you like. I'll make back-ups to avoid losing your data.

Moderator: Dux

groundfighter2005
Staff Sergeant

The Road to 100 Pushups

Post by groundfighter2005 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:06 am

I've always sucked at pushups, so for fun im trying out this program:

http://hundredpushups.com/

Its a M, W, F program. And is supposed to get you to 100 pushups in 6 weeks.

Just did my initial pushup test. I did 5 pushups. I tried to go slow, get my chest down low each rep and have good form. Still a pretty pitiful number. But I'm weak and fat, thats my excuse.

Going to start the actual program on Monday.

This will be a training journal that I will actually post on regularly as opposed to the other 3 or 4 i made on irongarm where i posted for a few days and then stopped posting (and doing the workouts).

Not that it matters but stats:
27 years old, 5'10", 220lbs
Last edited by groundfighter2005 on Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fat Cat wrote:Possible, yes. It's also possible that you would shit the Nile river on a diet like that.

DrDonkeyLove
Sergeant Commanding

Re: The Road to 100 Pushups

Post by DrDonkeyLove » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:26 am

groundfighter2005 wrote:So I've always sucked at pushups, so for fun im trying out this program:

http://hundredpushups.com/

Its a M, W, F program. And is supposed to get you to 100 pushups in 6 weeks.

Just did my initial pushup test. I did 5 pushups. I tried to go slow, get my chest down low each rep and have good form. Still a pretty pitiful number. But I'm weak and fat, thats my excuse.

Going to start the actual program on Monday.

This will be a training journal that I will actually post on regularly as opposed to the other 3 or 4 i made on irongarm where i posted for a few days and then stopped posting (and doing the workouts).
I did this and made a lot of progress but never quite hit 100 (90+/- IIRC) - and it took longer than 6 weeks. Good form is great but if you're like me, going slow after you get some volume isn't going to work out so well. A "brisk" pace worked best for me FWIW.
Mao wrote:Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party

groundfighter2005
Staff Sergeant

Post by groundfighter2005 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:54 pm

DrDonkeyLove wrote:I did this and made a lot of progress but never quite hit 100 (90+/- IIRC) - and it took longer than 6 weeks. Good form is great but if you're like me, going slow after you get some volume isn't going to work out so well. A "brisk" pace worked best for me FWIW.

Thanks for the input. Im looking over the weekly schedules and it looks like most of the 5th sets on the workout days are max attempts and it gives a minimum number to shoot for. It also says you shouldn't go to failure. What did you do for the 5th sets? A few reps above the minimum or basically try to max out?
Fat Cat wrote:Possible, yes. It's also possible that you would shit the Nile river on a diet like that.

Dazed

Post by Dazed » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:45 pm

I tried doing it for the situps and it worked ok. I got off track half way into it, but you definitely need to go a t brisk pace. I did not go to failure, but did push the effort on the last set. The best thing about the program is yuo actually have to do the movement three times a week and practice it, therein lies the magic.

Good luck.
I don't think you realize the depths of Jezzy's sexual greed~ EZ
Big, strong men (preferably in kilts) are my lesbian kryptonite~Jez
the right kind of male can make Jezzy's reproductive instinct overcome her preference for black vagina~Gary

DikTracy6000
Sgt. Major

Post by DikTracy6000 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:50 pm

I agree with Donkey on the brisk pace. I att. this last year and only lasted 3 weeks due to boredom and a throbbing elbow. Made it back to the low 40's. You have no where to go but up.

groundfighter2005
Staff Sergeant

Post by groundfighter2005 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:48 pm

I'm also thinking about incorporating some of Sonnon's compensations from Forward Pressure.

DrDonkeyLove
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DrDonkeyLove » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:00 pm

groundfighter2005 wrote:
DrDonkeyLove wrote:I did this and made a lot of progress but never quite hit 100 (90+/- IIRC) - and it took longer than 6 weeks. Good form is great but if you're like me, going slow after you get some volume isn't going to work out so well. A "brisk" pace worked best for me FWIW.

Thanks for the input. Im looking over the weekly schedules and it looks like most of the 5th sets on the workout days are max attempts and it gives a minimum number to shoot for. It also says you shouldn't go to failure. What did you do for the 5th sets? A few reps above the minimum or basically try to max out?
It depended on how I felt on a given day. I do remember that I had to remain at some steps a little longer than prescribed but I wasn't in a race so it was OK.
Mao wrote:Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party

groundfighter2005
Staff Sergeant

Post by groundfighter2005 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:34 am

Day 1

(60 seconds rest between sets)

Set 1: 2 pushups

Set 2: 3 pushups

Set 3: 2 pushups

Set 4: 2 pushups

Set 5: 6 pushups (calls for a max effort and says to do at least 3)

groundfighter2005
Staff Sergeant

Post by groundfighter2005 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:54 pm

Day 2

(90 seconds rest between sets)

Set 1: 3 pushups

Set 2: 4 pushups

Set 3: 2 pushups

Set 4: 3 pushups

Set 5: 9 pushups (calls for a max effort and says to do at least 4)

Counting down the days til I get either an elbow or shoulder injury from doing this

Dunn
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Dunn » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:02 am

groundfighter2005 wrote:
Counting down the days til I get either an elbow or shoulder injury from doing this
If this is where you see it going then why continue?

groundfighter2005
Staff Sergeant

Post by groundfighter2005 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:28 am

Dunn wrote:
groundfighter2005 wrote:
If this is where you see it going then why continue?
Damn you and your logic

groundfighter2005
Staff Sergeant

Post by groundfighter2005 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:02 am

In all honesty, that's not where I see it going. But there's a little voice in the back of my head telling me trying work up to a reasonable volume of pushups at my current bodyweight may not be the best thing. I've already decided that I'm gonna repeat the weekly schedules so instead of just following the week 1, week 2 week 3 etc., i do week 1, and then week 1 again, and then week 2, week 2, week 3, week 3 etc. So I'm not increasing the volume too fast. I definitely need to incorporate some of Sonnon's forward pressure compensations, i have to look over that dvd and pick out the ones i need. I'm sure including those will make it much less likely i will get injured while doing this.

groundfighter2005
Staff Sergeant

Post by groundfighter2005 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:00 am

Day 3

(120 seconds rest between sets)

Set 1: 4 pushups

Set 2: 5 pushups

Set 3: 4 pushups

Set 4: 4 pushups

Set 5: 5 pushups (calls for a max effort and says to do at least 5)

Weird that I kinda died after the first rep or two on the 5th set. That 5th rep was a struggle. Im going to do "Week 1" again starting on Monday instead of moving ahead to Week 2. This isn't a race for me.