Just a Little Comp

Post your training journals here if you like. I'll make back-ups to avoid losing your data.

Moderator: Dux

Songjabong
Staff Sergeant

Just a Little Comp

Post by Songjabong » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:53 pm

Now targeting a powerlifting meet in August: first strength competition of any sort for me. Should be cool having a goal to build training around.

I'm currently in the low 190s, but could easily be in the high 180s, and I'm wondering if I could make 181 by the weigh-in without sacrificing much strength. I'd be a lot more competitive in that class than at 198. Weigh-in is the day of the comp, so slash-and-burn cutting with overnight refueling isn't really an option.

I'm just not going to worry about weight for now. We'll see where I am in July, see where training takes me.

Still building the program, but for the first 8 weeks I think I'll be doing one day of heavy lower body, one day of heavy upper body, and one lighter day with all three lifts, each week. With taekwondo once or twice a week, some kb work, and other commitments, that should be plenty. We'll see, I'll do some research and maybe do something totally different.

Current maxes (estimated): 350 Sq, 275 Bn, 375 DL
Last edited by Songjabong on Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

Songjabong
Staff Sergeant

Re: First Comp

Post by Songjabong » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:52 pm

Today:
Bench: 135x10, 185x10, 205x5, 225x3, 5x245x1, 265x2 (help on 2nd)
two minutes rest between sets except the singles at 245, tried to keep rest under 90 seconds on those
weighted dips: 35x15, 2x40x12
db standing press: 55lbs x 8, 6, 5
cable row: 3x185x10

stronger on bench than I thought I'd be -- hadn't really done it heavy in a while. the singles at 245 were smooth, and even after those the first rep at 265 went right up.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

Songjabong
Staff Sergeant

Post by Songjabong » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:59 pm

Today:
warmup
concentration side kicks, five good ones on each side
front squats: 135x10
back squats: 225x5, 275x3, 2 sets of 295x1
deadlifts: 295x3
calf raises: 3 sets 240x10 each leg, 3 sets 495x10 (two legs), planks between each set (no rest)

i don't know if it's @fit or just the latest rage among "trainers" at globogyms, but the complicated circuit workouts that use about five different stations are such an offensive violation of traditional gym etiquette.

waited for some chick to finish using the squat rack, she was doing about 2 full minutes of hopping around between sets of "jumping squats", my knees hurt just watching. she ran off to some other station where she was doing some kind of push presses with dumbells, with a 24-hour trainer watching/commenting, then ran to some light barbells for something else. and i couldn't tell if she was done with the rack since she just left her shoulder pad on the bar as well as the 25lb-ers... gave her a coupe of minutes then just started.

more etiquette-- kid on power rack next to me was super-setting front squats with deadlifts, using two bars even though both were at 135. when i went over to the calf machine i noticed he was gone and just left both of his bars weighted, one on the floor. what the fuck. is it so hard to put your shit away?

i know there are some big power-lifting looking guys who are douchebags about gym etiquette too, but more often than not it's some skinny kid in a tight t-shirt or a hatchet-face andro-broad doing crazy circuits.

Songjabong
Staff Sergeant

Post by Songjabong » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:14 pm

went for a jog, about 5 miles, about 50 minutes. furthest i've run in a looooong time, at least since hurting my foot in tkd last december. felt surprisingly strong, relaxed throughout the run. probably could've gone another 2 miles without suffering much. calves were sore but didn't get fatigued.

Songjabong
Staff Sergeant

Post by Songjabong » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:34 pm

standing press: 135x5, 155x5, 165x1, 175x1, 180x1, 165x1
front squats: 135x8, 185x5, 205x3, 225x1
circuit: 3x10 GH raises/GH situps/serratus press

originally thought I'd use this day to do all 3 lifts consecutively, going a little lighter and skipping the supplemental stuff. just wasn't feeling it and am now thinking, if i'm really only lifting 3 days a week, I'd rather use day 3 to do some effective supplemental stuff I don't do on my heavy lower and upper days. thinking maybe some heavy partials sometimes too.
Last edited by Songjabong on Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Songjabong
Staff Sergeant

Post by Songjabong » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:05 pm

another jog. about 4.5 miles, just under 50 minutes. first 30 minutes was very tight, especially in the calves, last 20 minutes felt great.

Songjabong
Staff Sergeant

Post by Songjabong » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:06 pm

TKD last night, no sparring, mostly just work on forms and some drilling to get difficult kicks down. jumping outer crescent kick is a mean bitch. jumping inner feels natural, but outer feels like i'm going to blow out my knee each time.

this is one i think i'll never use in a real spar, so given how close it feels to injury-causing i'm not going to drill it the way i do most difficult moves. if my technique is mediocre for testing, so be it. not worth tearing a ligament.

Songjabong
Staff Sergeant

Post by Songjabong » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:26 pm

warmup
bench: 135x10, 185x8, 205x6, 225x3, 245x1, 265x3, 275x1, 225x3
2-3 minutes between each set, found a spotter for 265 and 275... 275 felt heavy but it went up smooth
weighted dips: 3 sets 45x10
1 arm dumbell rows in plank off bench: 5 sets 85x8
tricep pushdowns w/ rope: 3x10

i like the weighted dips, but not sure they're the best supplemental exercize for increasing max bench. thing is, i think the bottom of my bench is pretty solid, where i struggle at heavier weights is at the top, so need to focus on tricep strength, right? though maybe need to go heavier.

Songjabong
Staff Sergeant

Post by Songjabong » Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:22 am

warmup
back squats (low bar, narrow stance): 135x10, 225x8, 275x5, 2x295x2, 295x1
about 3 minutes between each set, got decently low on each of the first reps at 295, a little past parallel. 295 goes up pretty easily, but still don't have the confidence to really sit down into it. need to get comfortable so i'm doing legit competition reps and then can really add some weight.
quarter squats (high bar, wide stance): 315x5, 2x365x4
calf-raises: 3x255x8 (one leg), 3x495x10 (two legs), various planks between each set (no rest)

Songjabong
Staff Sergeant

Post by Songjabong » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:12 pm

had to work out in hotel fitness center today, not many options
1 mile farmers walk w/ 20lb dumbells, started with incline at 3 and reduced .5 every 2.5 minutes, started at 3.5 mph and increased gradually to 3.8
superset: db standing press (45x15, 12, 12)/medicine ball diagonal swings (3x10 on each side)
medicine ball squat/toss: 3x10
various crunches on exercise ball

Songjabong
Staff Sergeant

Post by Songjabong » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:16 pm

warmup, including a few sets of serratus press and hanging leg raises
superset DB chest press with 1 arm DB rows: 3 sets of 70x10
standing barbell press: 3 sets of 135x5, calf raises between each set: 495x15,15,12
weighted dips: 3 sets of 35x10

felt weak as piss today

Songjabong
Staff Sergeant

Post by Songjabong » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:49 pm

30 min steady state
back squats: 135x8, 225x7, 275x5, 295x3, 305x1, 315x1
315 felt great, it went right up, I even got reasonably deep into it.
deadlift: 295x5

Songjabong
Staff Sergeant

Post by Songjabong » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:23 pm

lower back, deep in left hip, tight as a mutherfucker today. it was a little tweaky before yesterday's workout, and i felt like i managed to avoid really jacking it up during the workout, but it's significantly worse. it's not thrown out though. i think the TKD and squatting of the last two years are why. used to be a tweak like this would be a completely thrown out back, barely able to move for a week or so.

some easy rehab work this morning, hoping to have it loose enough to play some golf tomorrow:
30 min. easy steady state
some hip abducters and aducters
stretching

Songjabong
Staff Sergeant

Post by Songjabong » Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:51 pm

golfed yesterday, good times. hadn't played in over 6 months, so was rusty, but managed to get down the fairway pretty quickly, especially given the regular purchases from the beverage cart girl and consumption of same. back held up fine, but stiffened up this morning.

today:
30 minutes steady state
bench: 135x10, 185x10, 205x5, 225x5, 245x6
form fell apart halfway through last rep at 245, wound up hitching up my left side to get under it, got it up fine, but nasty lower back spasms on left side for next ten minutes or so. couldn't sit down, but could barely stay up.
the good news was after it subsided, the tightness/kink/tweak i've had for about a week on that side was gone! wonder if i inadvertently did some chiropractic work on myself there. after recovering,

seated military press: 3 sets of 135x5
cable rows: 3 sets of 180x10

Songjabong
Staff Sergeant

Post by Songjabong » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:58 pm

quick kb workout
20kg, 1 min rest between each set:
50 2h swings, 30 switching, 30 switching, 30 2h swings, 20 switching, 25 2h swings, 15 switching

Songjabong
Staff Sergeant

Post by Songjabong » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:13 pm

yesterday:
1 hour steady state
35 dips

Songjabong
Staff Sergeant

Post by Songjabong » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:56 pm

today:
1 hour steady state
3 sets calf-raises 495x15
19 pullups

Songjabong
Staff Sergeant

Post by Songjabong » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:50 am

TKD tonight. Worked on forms, drilled the songjabong, not a great class.

Songjabong
Staff Sergeant

Post by Songjabong » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:13 pm

Had 4 days off due to business trip (which was the reason couldn't do TSC as originally planned).

Today:
30 min steady state
overhead squats: 45x10
front squats: 135x10
back squats: 225x8, 255x5, 275x5, 295x5
The set at 275 was great, got really deep. Set at 295 just never felt like I really sat down into as deep as I'd like.
deadlifts: 295x5 (overhand grip the whole way)
calf raises: 3 sets 495x15

Songjabong
Staff Sergeant

Post by Songjabong » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:49 pm

Last night: TKD, some good sparring for about half an hour. Roughly five minute rounds of round-robin with 3-4 minute breaks between. Worked on forms and sparring combinations. Good, exhausting class.

Songjabong
Staff Sergeant

Post by Songjabong » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:21 am

today:
20kg kb
50 2h swings, 40 2h, 30 switching, 30 sw, 30 2h, 30 sw, 20 2h, 20 sw
1 min rest btwn each set

Songjabong
Staff Sergeant

Post by Songjabong » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:41 pm

jog to gym (.85 miles, 8:30)
bench: 135x10, 185x8, 205x5, 225x5, 245x3, 255x1
not a spotter to be found, don't have the balls to do many reps with that much weight over my neck without a spotter...
superset incline dumbell press with one arm db rows (in plank off bench): 3 sets of 70sx10
25 dips
jog home (8:45)

training has been sporadic lately, more steady state, kb's and crap than i'd originally planned. have sort of been letting myself do whatever i feel like doing. will make an effort to at least get in one good pressing day and one good squatting day a week even while fucking around.

Songjabong
Staff Sergeant

Post by Songjabong » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:43 pm

front squats 135x10
overhead squats 135x2
back squats: 225x8, 275x3, 290x3, 305x3
set at 290 was pretty good; set at 305, had a hard time getting deep. just didn't trust myself with the weight. so almost parallel, but not quite. still, they were a hell of a lot deeper than the few other guys i saw squatting today, who were doing little quarter-squats at best (with 135 or so on the bar). basically lifting on the balls of their feet.
deadlift: 315x3 (alternate grip)
calf raises: 495x15, 13, 15
10 min steady state (wanted to see the end of the Spurs game)

Songjabong
Staff Sergeant

Post by Songjabong » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:35 pm

hotel gym, at altitude
jog .5 miles
50 lb db's, 5 sets of 5 full clean & press, one minute rest between
jog .5 miles

damn that sucked

Songjabong
Staff Sergeant

Post by Songjabong » Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:17 pm

yesterday:
30 min steady state
push jerks: 135x5, 155x1, 6 sets 175x1
jump squats: 135x 5, 5, 6
actually got some decent air on the jump squats