Some People Have Nothing Better To Do

Post your training journals here if you like. I'll make back-ups to avoid losing your data.

Moderator: Dux

Gary
Gunny

Re: Some People Have Nothing Better To Do

Post by Gary » Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:01 am

2011-06-11
Squat (high bar, no belt)
45 x 9 x 2
135 x 6
185 x 3
225 x 2
265 x 1
295 x 1
315 x 1
(loose wraps)
325 x 1
335 x 1
345 x 1
225 x 12 x 2

Debated whether or not to use wraps on the light high rep sets. I mean, wraps for 225? Glad I chose to. Knees feel great now. Got a very slow 345 much to my surprise, 30 lbs better than my best last week (when I also used the same loose wraps) and the best I had earlier this year. Everything up to 335 was fast. Had a couple guys monitoring my form on the singles and they confirmed that I kept chest up on all reps. Second set of 12 was smoother than the first, but it took me 15 minutes to stop feeling ill (like I wasn't about to vomit). Haven't done more than six work reps on any of the big movements since last summer when I was Smoloving. I think I managed not to get bent over on any of those reps, but no one was looking then. The reps felt really good, and I kept driving my traps into the bar even when I was getting exhausted. Wanted to do supplemental work (sldl, unilateral stuff), but I had nothing left after squats. Did unilateral deadlifts with a small kettlebell and some calf raises at home. Drained 17 cc from the left knee, some from the squatting, but it had been feeling a little full for days.
I'm 'a fuck you till you love me, white boy.

Gary
Gunny

Post by Gary » Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:32 pm

2011-06-12
Drained 16 cc from left last night and did lots of PVC rolling. I'd been focusing on the quads, but last night discovered that I had a lot of adhesion/knots in both IT bands, particularly in the mid to upper portions. I spent a couple hours rolling them. Doing a little and coming back minutes later sort of like sets. By the time I was done I noticed that my left knee was feeling a lot less restricted. Realized that there might be something to this ITB stuff. Did it again today and really worked out some trigger points. Drained 18 cc from left and then a couple hours later really went after more. Did a Hindu squat with knees way in front, causing a lot of hydrostatic pressure in both knees, then drained. Got another 12 cc from the right and 11 from the right (most I've gotten from the stable right in a long while). Despite this I have to report that my knees are way better than they were last year. I'm able to do Hindu squats first thing every morning whereas last year my knees were too full and tight and my tendons too beat up for me to squat down with knees forward at all. I'm hoping that myofascial release of the IT band is the key. I'll be rolling a lot more consistently from now on.
345 x 1 @ 180 during the first week of this cycle, after testing a 315x1 8 days ago. I wonder if I'll surpass the magical 2xBW on the Olympic squat at long last in this cycle. After months of not deadlifting, I went from a hard initial 407 to a very tough 452 in three weeks. Hope the same will happen with my squat. I also checked old e-chats I had back in 2005-6. I weighed 145-150 and squatted 255 (long before I knew about low bar or owned a PL belt). That was about 175% of BW. With 345 at 180 I'm at ~190%. I could stand to lose a little fat and gain a little more strong. I need to realize 365 @ 180-182 (the hope for this cycle) first and then see if I can't cut a little bit during the two-week deloads I have planned to work on speed and explosiveness. Even if I don't get much stronger or much leaner, I should still be able to muster a vertical ~32" with my current relative strength.

Gary
Gunny

Post by Gary » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:47 pm

2011-06-13

Standing Vertical Jump (on concrete)
3 x 2 up to 27"
3 x l/m/h power jumper
3 x h power jumper
3, 2, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1 up to 27 1/2"

Dunk practice: wearing shoes, added 3/4" to height, rim 9'9"-9'10"; standing one-hand dunk and running two-foot jump with 4.5" diameter soccer ball; running two-foot jump with 7.25" diameter soccer ball, several attempts, one successful.

Standing Broad Jump (on outdoor court)
3 x 1 up to 8'6"
3 x l/m/h power jumper
3 x h power jumper
3 x 2 up to 8'5"

One-leg cone hops, two sets up to a dozen reps.

Tried very hard to get over 28" today and just couldn't do it. Touched just below 10'2" a couple of times while barefoot and reaching 7'10". Went to the court for broad jumps and to practice dunking with the new balls I bought. Dunks went okay and managed to dunk the soccer ball on a 9'9.5" rim on a two-legged hop from a run, but only once. Started fatiguing by then and couldn't get 9' on the broad jump.

Later: went to the neighboring town for errands and found a nice basketball court. The posts were much sturdier, but the rims were all at slightly different heights. I measured 9'10", 10'1", 10'2" and 10'3". I didn't bother with the taller ones and could barely touch the top of the 10'1" rim. So I stuck with the 9'10" and discovered that it was just a smidgen too high for me to dunk the medium soccer ball, which I just got the one time on the 9'9"+ rim. I was probably just tired and unable to get my best height. I could standing dunk the small squeezeball and could fairly easily running dunk the small soccer ball. Amazing the difference an inch makes. Tried broad jump again while I was out there. Got 8'11" a few times and 9' once. Couldn't get past that.

I feel like I have a couple more inches to go without having to up my squat. Maybe bands have done all they can for me already and it's time to employ rest and then use shock methods (depth jumps). I'll have a chance to find out when I'm traveling in Mexico and can't get to a squat rack.

Drained 16 cloudy cc from the left knee again tonight. Right feeling stable.
Drained 4 bloody cc later from left.
Morning drained 16 very cloudy cc from left. This knee really can't take any pounding right now.

Gary
Gunny

Post by Gary » Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:44 pm

Squatted double bodyweight high bar, no belt, with loose knee wraps last night. Including the collars (and with plates that are all 46-47 lbs according to the gym scale), I got 360 @ 180. It was 355 minus collars and uncalibrated plates. Worked up to a fast 335 x 1 before adding the knee wraps.

I'll be posting here too...

http://www.adarq.org/forum/progress-jou ... out-speed/

...from now on. That site is the most inline with what I'm looking to accomplish: big squat, big vertical, fast sprint and big pull. With my long limbs, narrow hips and high muscle attachments, I'm better off squatting (and deadlifting) and then working on running and jumping. My arms are too long for good benching, cleaning or snatching and I'm too short and petite of frame for burly strongman stuff. Weightlifters, powerlifters, strongmen and throwers just don't look like me. But my long legs could be useful for sprinting and jumping.
Last edited by Gary on Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gary
Gunny

Post by Gary » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:52 am

Some new training vids...

newguy

Post by newguy » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:56 am

crap. that is vertical torso on an overhead squat if I ever saw one!

Gary
Gunny

Post by Gary » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:09 am

newguy wrote:crap. that is vertical torso on an overhead squat if I ever saw one!
I raised my heels with that block to get knees way out over toes and torso vertical, sorta like a Hindu squat. I find it's helping me overcome the habit of leaning forward that I got from low bar squatting exclusively for the past couple of years. My back squats are getting more vertical all the time. I think the improvements really show in the Smolov Day 5 vid.

Gary
Gunny

Post by Gary » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:56 pm

Clean Grip Overhead Squat up to 155 x 1
Tuck Jumps and Squat warm up to 345 x 1 no belt or wraps
Squat, high bar 285 x 7 x 5, loose wraps, no belt

Weight 180 lbs

Gary
Gunny

Post by Gary » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:05 am

365 x 1 (loose wraps) PR
325 x 3 x 10 (loose wraps)

Clean Grip Power Snatch 95 x 3, 115 x 3, 125 x 3, 135 x 2, 145 x miss
Tuck Jump x 4 x 4
Unilateral Tuck Jump x 3 x 3

355 x 1 (knee sleeves) PR
275 x 9 x 4 (loose wraps)

Drained 25 and 15 cc from left and right, then 13 and 15 next morning.

Gary
Gunny

Post by Gary » Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:14 pm

Warm up to heavy single PR in loose wraps 375 x 1, 385 x 1
Smolov Day 10 in loose wraps: 295 x 7 x 5
High bar, no belt

Jo Jordan provided the encouragement for the squats and stern disapproval of the sappy music track in my vid with 365.

I'm making the best progress of my life this mesocycle. I'm setting PRs almost every session now. I started with 335 without wraps and 355 with wraps. Now I've done 355 without wraps and 385 with. The 385 tells me I'm good for 365 without wraps and maybe 375 in knee sleeves. The 295 x 7 x 5 felt like 225 did a couple of weeks ago. I almost can't believe I'll actually gain another few pounds of squat strength during the back off week. I was hoping for 385 without wraps and 405 with them on test day, but now I'm starting to hope for 405/425. I am convinced this progress is because I've devoted all my training and recovery ability to squats. I'm not even trying to maintain any upper body strength. I do a few explosive power snatches to warm up along with some Hindu squats, then some very, very light lying leg curls to cool down, get some hammie rehab, and get some blood in the knee tissue.

powerlifter54
Sergeant Commanding

Post by powerlifter54 » Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:31 pm

G,

You are in the Valley of Death, with the Mountains of Intensity on one side of you and the hills of Volume on the other. Bottom line is you gain little in the long run going that high before Smolov. Go to 50lbs above your worksets tops and get the same boost from a heavy single you get from a clear 90% plus effort without the issues you are building, leaving you an escape gap through Prilepins Ravine hidden to many in the Mountains of Intensity.

jmo
"Start slowly, then ease off". Tortuga Golden Striders Running Club, Pensacola 1984.

"But even snake wrestling beats life in the cube, for me at least. In measured doses."-Lex

Gary
Gunny

Post by Gary » Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:33 pm

powerlifter54 wrote:G,

You are in the Valley of Death, with the Mountains of Intensity on one side of you and the hills of Volume on the other. Bottom line is you gain little in the long run going that high before Smolov. Go to 50lbs above your worksets tops and get the same boost from a heavy single you get from a clear 90% plus effort without the issues you are building, leaving you an escape gap through Prilepins Ravine hidden to many in the Mountains of Intensity.

jmo
I was going to respond to this by saying, "What's that, Jack? I'm having trouble hearing you over the crashing wave of PRs that I've been setting this month."

But something told me to hold off and make sure I got through my last day of Smolov. That something was the little twinge I'd been feeling in my lower right leg for the past couple weeks since I pulled something during an overhead squat with heels elevated on a block. Today it started giving me real trouble on the first work set of 10 x 3 x 335. The compression from the wraps was making it hurt more. I tried to roll it out and massage it after the third set, but that just aggravated the condition even more. I got one more very hard set (hard because I couldn't be as aggressive due to the pain) and then I couldn't put any weight on the damned leg at all. A buddy ran and got a bag of ice and I lay on the floor with the bag under my lower leg for the next thirty minutes and tried not to move at all.

What pisses me off is that I cleared up my long-standing knee troubles this week and was feeling unstoppable. I knew something like this could happen and that the way the universe works, something like this was actually likely to happen.

Still I got a 30-lb PR on both my wrapped and unwrapped high bar/no belt squat...during the mesocycle. Clearly all the squatting was already making me stronger by the second week. I'm hoping that there is another 10 or 20 lbs hiding underneath this accumulated fatigue. Taking my rest and recuperation very seriously this week. Eating like a pig, lots of beef and whole milk, lots of lying around an foam rolling. I was gonna do a day of jumping, but that is impossible with this lower leg injury.

Knees are feeling incredible. The effusion in both has clearly been going down, but the left was still bigger. I figured this was the absolute best time to do one last draining, because it looks like it's not filling back up and I won't be doing much of anything for a week. I drained 20 cc from the left and am eager to see if it stays away.

Gary
Gunny

Post by Gary » Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:38 pm

Figured I'd give accounting of my knee conditions since I can't squat or pull for a while and I'm finally making headway with the knees.

Despite my initial enthusiasm about the topical NSAID clearing up the inflammation, I find that there is still a bit of refill going on, mostly in the left. This shouldn't surprise me all that much. Long-standing effusions don't clear up overnight.

The difference is that this time I seem to have licked the underlying cause by breaking the chronic inflammation. That started happening with the first topical application almost a week ago. The difference was felt within a couple of hours. The pain was gone and the knees regained comfort at full flexion that I hadn't felt in years.

I ended up draining 10-15 cc still from the left knee daily and about half that from the right. Again, the difference this time is that the puffiness is going down each time because the refill just isn't coming back nearly as quickly. This is especially encouraging because I did my last two Smolov base mesocycle sessions and all that volume and intensity--two days in a row no less!--didn't cause the extreme and rapid refill that usually happens after squatting.

I am applying the NSAID four times daily. My intention is to drain before each application until the knees are completely normal. I will chronicle the yields here to note the progress.

2011-07-07
1) 10 cc left, 11 cc right, both relatively clear
2) 3 cc left, 3 cc right, both relatively clear
3) 4 cc left, 1 cc right, both even clearer
4) 8 cc left, n/a right, clear

Went walking around shopping between 2 and 3 and the refill still wasn't that bad. I hope this well is running dry.
Hm. Got 7 cc from left. Didn't bother with right because I really don't think there's much excess left to get in that one.

Tension in dorsiflexion hurts, so I can't high bar squat with knees going forward...but I think I could pull. It would nice to see the 30 lbs I already got on the squat turn up in the deadlift. When I pulled 450+ beltless I was Olympic squatting ~330 (as low as 315, but I did get as high as 330 around the time I pulled 452 at the DAC). My DL gains are usually almost 1-to-1 with my squat gains. Makes me think I could get 475 conventional beltless and maybe 500 with the belt. Makes me want to try to just that if I can't test the squat this week.

2011-07-08
1) 6 cc from the left, n/a from the right, a little less clear than last night.
2) 8 cc from the left, 4 cc from the right, very cloudy from the left, very clear from the left.

Today's first draw was really tough to get.
Last edited by Gary on Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:43 am, edited 5 times in total.

Gary
Gunny

Post by Gary » Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:38 pm

Figured I'd give accounting of my knee conditions since I can't squat or pull for a while and I'm finally making headway with the knees.

Despite my initial enthusiasm about the topical NSAID clearing up the inflammation, I find that there is still a bit of refill going on, mostly in the left. This shouldn't surprise me all that much. Long-standing effusions don't clear up overnight.

The difference is that this time I seem to have licked the underlying cause by breaking the chronic inflammation. That started happening with the first topical application almost a week ago. The difference was felt within a couple of hours. The pain was gone and the knees regained comfort at full flexion that I hadn't felt in years.

I ended up draining 10-15 cc still from the left knee daily and about half that from the right. Again, the difference this time is that the puffiness is going down each time because the refill just isn't coming back nearly as quickly. This is especially encouraging because I did my last two Smolov base mesocycle sessions and all that volume and intensity--two days in a row no less!--didn't cause the extreme and rapid refill that usually happens after squatting.

I am applying the NSAID four times daily. My intention is to drain before each application until the knees are completely normal. I will chronicle the yields here to note the progress.

2011-07-07
1) 10 cc left, 11 cc right, both relatively clear
2) 3 cc left, 3 cc right, both relatively clear

Testiclaw

Post by Testiclaw » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:17 pm

How are the knees these days, Gary?
My cousin is a redheaded german-mexican, we call him a beanerschnitzel

Gary
Gunny

Post by Gary » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:28 pm

Testiclaw wrote:How are the knees these days, Gary?
Thanks for checking in.

They're doing great. I've been traveling (with a bit more travel coming up) and they have not refilled in weeks. The left seemed a bit puffier, but now I think that was just due to all the injection scar tissue making the joint space tighter. Since I've stopped the high frequency injections, the scar tissue has been shrinking and the knee looks and feels pretty normal. I'm able to squat down (flat footed, more on that below) without any knee pain at all or feelings of tightness at the bottom.

My issue now is that lower leg injury. It's better, but still hurts. While I was in Vegas at FreedomFest, it got really bad on the second day (I think all the running around at the airport hadn't helped) and I had to rent a wheelchair and have a coworker push me around in order to get from my room to our booth. I felt like a total tool, but that's how bad it had gotten. Luckily I felt much better after a day off the leg and didn't need to be wheeled into the room where I had to lead a panel discussion.

I can jump a little bit now, but I don't dare really train. I'd say I have another three weeks before I push it with any real lower body training. But this injury is making me consider what I'm trying to do with my aging body. Real shame I had to figure out how to get stronger and faster after the age most real athletes retire.

Gary
Gunny

Post by Gary » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:54 am

Stopping back into Orlando for a few days before another bout of travel. Not enough time to restart a membership and train. Maybe for the best.

Lower leg is 99% healed up because I stayed off it. There were days were just walking really hurt, but now it doesn't hurt unless I jump really high a few times.

I did some triples in the vertical jump yesterday and got my head within an inch of the 8' ceiling after four sets. So vert is back at 27" after being detrained. Lower leg started to ache a tiny bit, but nothing major.

Going to work back into jump training very slowly, but don't know when (and if) I will squat again. I didn't do any jumps at all today and may not do any again till Saturday. Twice a week really is plenty. Will start using the bands again too. Maybe even start sprinting!

Knees are doing amazing after weeks without squatting. I thought I would have to drain them, but the Voltaren (really cheap in Canada and available on the shelves, see image below) has really been keeping the inflammation under control which has led to the excess fluid going down on its own.

I thought that I might need to drain at least the left knee, but now that I'm back, I notice that the knee doesn't really need it. Wouldn't be worth it to go in at all right now.

Not sure what effect squatting will have on this improvement and really won't be able to find out any time soon, until I figure out where I'm going to live permanently. Got a few cities in different countries to try out over the next 18 months. I'll use the time to keep jumping and running, but recuperate from overdoing it with the back squats for the past three years.
Attachments
Voltaren in Canada.jpg
Voltaren in Canada.jpg (87.02 KiB) Viewed 7991 times

Gary
Gunny

Post by Gary » Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:08 pm

More vertical training.

Brushed top of head against 8' ceiling (actually 7'11.75") all of a sudden after about a dozen attempts. Went outside porch with more room and got head to push up tape where it was hanging down a couple inches from the 8'4" ceiling. Best standing vertical ever at about 28-29".

Down almost 10 lbs. Not squatting, so not bothering to eat very much. Lighter and faster and knees as close to perfect as they've been in years. Effusion is close to non-existent in both knees and inflammation and pain are under control. Almost afraid to start squatting again and fuck it up.

Just focusing on jumping for a couple weeks till I settle down in a city somewhere in a couple weeks and can get to a gym to squat. Will get access to training shoes, bands and balls in a few days and try to dunk small balls on rims of various heights then.

Plan to alternate emphasis each cycle: squats/strength for a few weeks, then jumps/sprint/speed for a couple weeks. Squatting will likely be just one heavy session per week followed by a much lighter session to keep DOMS at bay.

Gary
Gunny

Post by Gary » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:59 am

75-day lay off due to traveling.
Weight was down 180+ to 170.
High bar squat was down from 365 to 275
Conventional deadlift (no belt) was down from mid-400 to mid-300
Standing vertical was down from 28" to 24"+
Standing broad jump was down from 9'+ to 7'4".

Clean grip power snatch + overhead squat: 45, 95, 115, 135

Back Squat, high bar, no belt
45 x 10
135 x 6
195 x 3
235 x 2
275 x 1
300 x 1
235 x 4 x 5

Bench Press
45 x 10
95 x 6
135 x 4
175 x 2
195 x 1
205 x 1
215 x 1
175 x 4, x 3, x2

Pull Up: x 5, x 1, x 2, x 3, x 1, x 2, x 3
Weighed 173

Regaining squat strength. 275 for a shaky single last week and 300 for a much more solid yet difficult single this week. Able to do more than twice as many sets with back off 80% weight too. Bench w 215 was absolute max. Defaulted to ladders with the pull ups. Surprised I was able to cg snatch so much weight still.

Gary
Gunny

Post by Gary » Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:52 am

Standing Broad Jump x 3 x 4 to 8'7"
Sprint 40 yards x 6 to 5.7 seconds

Clean Grip Snatch + Overhead Squat
95 x 1 + 1
115 x 1 + 1
135 x 1 + 1
140 x 1 + 3

Deadlift + RDL
135 x 1 + 4
225 x 1 + 3
275 x 1 + 2
315 x 1 + 1
335 x 1 + 1
355 x 1 + 1
375 x 1 + 1

Press out of rack
45 x 5
85 x 3
100 x 2
115 x 1
125 x 1
130 x 1
110 x 4 x 3

Chin x 3, x 4, x 5, x 3, x 4

Got over a foot back on the standing broad jump. Jumped barefoot on grass instead of in squat shoes on garage floor. Much better. Consistently 8'7". Sprinted a couple hours later and got timed at either 5.7 or 6.3 repeatedly for 40 yds. Painfully slow.

Tried to RDL after deadlifts from floor, but honestly it turned into a touch and go double for a regular deadlift. Made me decide to default to a Texas Method set up:

Back Squat
Front Squat
Back Squat, Deadlift

alternating Bench/Pull Up day with Press/Chin Up day.

Quads and IT Band already seizing up. PVC rolled last night and will do so again tonight.

Gary
Gunny

Post by Gary » Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:17 am

Right now at around 170 lbs I can high bar back squat 300 and bench 215 and conventional deadlift 375 without a belt.

I was looking at my competition results at 165. I could low bar back squat 347 and then 369 (after Russian squat routine). Took my bench from 209 to 231 at that weight too. Sumo deadlifted 440 twice with a belt and just missed 469 at the second competition.

The low bar + belt numbers are about 80 lbs or so over the high bar without a belt numbers, at least once I've had a chance to practice the low bar with a belt. So when I could low bar + belt ~360, I could probably high bar without a belt ~280, 300 tops.

My point is that I'm about as strong as I can expect to be at 170. I could be stronger at this weight, but not very much. I need to get back over 180. I was a little over 180 when I high bar squatted 365 (no belt), the most I ever squatted completely raw (neoprene knee sleeves). I was about 180 when I low bar squatted 418 in competition with a belt. Each pound of trained-up bodyweight I gain gives me 5-10 lbs on my squat.

I was thinking of using Russian Squat Routine, alternating the heavy day for squat and bench, but that sort of wave loading may be wasting some of my time. I could probably gain a lot faster with linear progression and a lot of calories to get my weight back over 180. This is the same tactic I used to put on 20 lbs in early 2010 and add about 50 lbs to my squat and deadlift.

Back squat, high bar no belt x 5 x 3
Bench Press x 5 x 3
Pull Up ladders

Front Squat x 3 x 5
Press x 5 x 3
Chin Up ladders

Back Squat to max single
Bench Press to max single
Deadlift to max single or x 5 x 3

With GOMAD I could probably add 3-5 lbs/week to my body and 15-20 lbs/week to my squat and deadlift before my gains slowed down. I've done it before from this weight to over 180. I just really get the feeling that I'm spinning my wheels unless I seriously go after more mass. I could maybe squat 405 at 190 this way. Don't know if that would carry me to 2.5x bw or if I could even hit that ratio by 200 lbs.

keyboardpress
Staff Sergeant

Post by keyboardpress » Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:37 am

how are your knees going after the layoff?

Gary
Gunny

Post by Gary » Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:07 am

ash wrote:how are your knees going after the layoff?
They were okay until till a couple days ago. I don't know if it's because I started squatting again or if it was the maximal effort broad jumps I did. My knees used to be okay with my vertical and broad jump training. But they both ached a bit after that session a few days ago and the left started filling up with fluid again. I drained these past couple of days and it seems to be okay now.

It might have been a combination of my return to squatting and pulling plus the broad jumps and sprinting. Broad jumps might have been the heaviest straw.

Gary
Gunny

Post by Gary » Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:03 am

Sunday 2011-10-02
High bar squat, no belt
45 x 10, 135 x 6, 185 x 4, 225 x 3, 255 x 2
275 x 1
(loose wraps)
245 x 5 x 3
255 x 5
265 x 5

Bench Press
45 x 11, 95 x 6, 135 x 5, 175 x 3
205 x 1
165 x 5 x 3

Chin Up
x 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 (15)
x 1, 2, 3 (6)
x 1, 2 (3)
x 1, 2, 3 (6)
-----

True fact: knee wraps save lives.

Once again, let me point out that the wraps allow me to train more while drastically reducing strain on the knees. They give me another 20 lbs on my lifts, but they prevent post-workout pain and effusion. It's the bottom part of the squat where the harm is done, when the knees are fully stretched and bearing the load, especially with any bouncing. The wraps bear the brunt of the load in the knees' most vulnerable position.

Used heavy singles as warm up and stayed away from maximal effort. A fairly heavy single makes the work weights feel lighter. Was surprised to get 265 for reps, even with the wraps. Very good form too. Didn't lose back angle except for a rep or two. Lots of hours between squat and upper body work. A little sad that 165 x 5 x 3 was pretty much all I had in me. Fairly satisfied with the chin up ladder results.

Tuesday 2011-10-04
Clean Grip Overhead Squat from Clean Grip Snatch
45 x 5, 95 x 3, 115 x 3, 125 x 2
135 x 2
140 x 1

135 x 6
185 x 3 x 6

Press out of rack
45 x 6, 85 x 4, 105 x 3
120 x 2
130 x 1
115 x 3 x 3

Jerk out of rack 135, 145, 155, 165 (pressout)

Pull Up ladders
x 1, x 2, x 3. x 4. 5 (15)
x 1. x 2, x 3 (6)
x 1. x 2 (3)
----

Light squat day with fairly heavy pressing not to failure. Bar was popping off shoulders during squat and during one especially enthusiastic rep I started to attempt a jerk from behind the neck but missed and ended up bruising my upper back a little. Press with 130 was the easiest yet and I might have gotten 135 if I went straight for it. 115 triples were not to failure. Did some jerks after that because I wasn't going to get any jump training in tonight. Needed to do something explosive. And was curious as to how much I could jerk with a 300 1RM high bar squat. I was tired and 165 was shaky. I like to believe 175 is possible when fresh.

Thursday 2011-10-06
Clean Grip Overhead Squat
from clean grip snatch 45 x 5, 95 x 4, 115 x 3, 135 x 2
from clean and push press 145 x 1, 155 x 1

Squat, high bar, no belt
45 x 12, 135 x 6, 185 x 4, 225 x 3
(knee sleeves)
265 x 2
285 x 1
305 x 1
320 x 1
(knee wraps)
335 x 0

Bench Press
45 x10, 95 x 6, 135 x 3, 175 x 2
195 x 1
210 x 1

Deadlift, conventional, no belt
135 x 3, 225 x 3, 275 x 2, 315 x 2, 355 x 0
(hook grip)
355 x 1
(mixed grip)
385 x 1
405 x 0
(hook grip)
315 x 3 x 3
335 x 3
355 x 3
365 x 3

Chin Up ladders
x 1, x 2, x 3, x 4, x 5, x 6 (21)
x 1, x 2, x 3, x 4 (10)
x 1, x 2, x 3 (6)
x 1, x 2 (3)
x 1, x 1
-----

Wind Sprints ~30 yds x 6, barefoot in parking lot

Weighed 178 nekkid. The extra weight helped add 20 lbs to the 295-300 I was struggling with the past couple of weeks at 173 on the squat. Bench sucked after that, but deadlift really disappointed with a mere 385. 405 felt stapled to the floor. Went down to 315 for triples and worked back up when that weight started feeling light and moving fast. Got to within 20 lbs of today's best, for a triple. Also got some practice with the hook grip at moderate weight. New volume record on chins and felt really fast on those untimed sprints. Like the idea of ending sessions with some wind sprints. Good for conditioning and for making sure I can still run (I really couldn't for a long while).

Gary
Gunny

Post by Gary » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:14 pm

2011-10-09
45 x 12, 135 x 6, 185 x 4, 225 x 3
(knee sleeves)
255 x 2, 275 x 1, 295 x 1, 315 x 1, 325 x 1
(knee wraps)
265 x 5 x 3
275 x 5
295 x 5
315 x 1

Press
45 x 5, 85 x 5, 105x 3, 115 x 2, 125 x 1

Standing Vertical Jump
x 3 x 3
x 3 w/ 2 light bands
x 3 w/ 1 light band
x 3 x 2 up to 1/4" under an 8' head touch = 26"

Squats felt good. Good form on all, minimal segmenting even on heaviest weights. 325 single felt and looked better than 320 single a few days ago. Weighed 180 and I'm hopeful that I'll be back at 365 by the time I get to 185. 275 felt so good that I jumped to 295 for the next set. That felt so good that I went to 315, but was clearly too tired to get any reps. Used the new white Altus knee wraps. About the same assistance as the heavier wraps, but I can keep them on longer. Didn't have time to get into the press session today or do pull up ladders.

Did jumps at home. Knee immediately filled up after one particularly bad landing. Drained 22 cc, but had to drain 32 a couple days ago after walking around. In my experience. it's the light, repetitive impact from walking that really pushes the knee into the danger zone after lots of loading. Of course, it fills after squatting, pulling, running and jumping, but simply walking can be even worse! I've been in the same place with the right knee WHICH IS ALL BETTER NOW. I know it just takes continued training and draining and eventually the knee will strengthen up. I spent most of 2008 draining the right knee in the same manner and now it's fine.

In any case, a legit 26" vertical ain't anything impressive, but I'm happy to be able to do it after all the deconditioning and with my Olympic squat only at 325.