The Middle Path

Post your training journals here if you like. I'll make back-ups to avoid losing your data.

Moderator: Dux

PC Polar Circle Person
Sgt. Major

The Middle Path

Post by PC Polar Circle Person » Mon May 16, 2011 6:14 pm

I've always gone back and forth from one extreme to the other in almost everything I do. After going over the top at one extreme, I fall down over the edge at the other, slowly learning and getting a little more centered each time (at least I hope so). I'm still sick and tired of training after pushing myself way too hard, but a lot of new ideas grow already, which has always been the first sign of my starting to head back towards the other end. I've started by cleaning up my diet. Stomach problems are almost completely gone after a friend suggested that I try to eat carbs and proteins separately (3 hours between), which worked like magic immediately (my theory is that I've probably fucked up my stomach by going from almost complete vegetarian to almost only meat during extreme low carbing and then just going to eating what the fuck ever).

After once again starting to give a shit and realizing how much food matters, I bought a top notch juicer and now consume a ton of freshly pressed raw veggies every morning (always tossing in some green leafy stuff + some garlic and ginger). Around noon I consume high quality organic proteins and again a second time when I get home from work in the early evening. Fat is not a problem together with either carbs or proteins. I still eat some organic red meat, but seem to naturally lean more towards fish and vegetable protein sources. Later at night I might have a glass of freshly pressed fruit. Feeling better every day and already have lot's of more energy. I don't know when I will start training again, but I'll certainly post again in this log when I do. Thinking a lot about BJJ almost every day and I really don't know how I will decide on it. On one hand I really love the Sport and the Art, on the other hand I'm fucked up pretty bad from it (can't be absolutely certain that I wouldn't have a fucked up back and neck even without it, though).

Just some thoughts for now. I'll post again if something new starts to happen. BTW, I think IGx's own Old Andy has some of the best advices on training I'll ever seen anywhere. There are no worthy goals in any Sports other than Health.

Stay Healthy, you filthy motherfuckers!

Soupbone

Re: The Middle Path

Post by Soupbone » Tue May 17, 2011 3:49 am

Best wishes in all that you do, Stig!
I just started a blog called The Happy Grappler. Check it out at http://happygrappler.blogspot.com

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil » Tue May 17, 2011 3:16 pm

Good luck in everything, Stiggs. And I agree about Andy's advice. I am starting to see this myself. I still want to be strong as hell and have the conditioning of a mutant with the work capacity of an android but health is the number one goal.

PC Polar Circle Person
Sgt. Major

Post by PC Polar Circle Person » Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:37 am

Been jogging consistently 2-3x/week for about a month now and yesterday was the first time I actually enjoyed it. Not one day has passed without thinking about BJJ and although it seems impossible to shake it off, I think it would be a smart move to stay away from it for the rest of my life. Looking for something else...

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:28 am

I respect your intellect and insight. None of this changes the fact that Andy is a sad and bitter man who's lost all perspective.
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:44 am

What about some other type of lower impact but intense exercise like yoga or Pilates or swimming? Just a thought.
"You can’t talk with communists, you have to kill them." -Józef Mackiewicz

PC Polar Circle Person
Sgt. Major

Post by PC Polar Circle Person » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:35 pm

Fatty, the main problem is that I need to get my kicks somewhere. Right now I try to get a momentum going with running, while getting my kicks from playing loud music with my friends. It's nowhere near fighting, but OK and great fun and I think it could work in the long run. I miss the sense of controlled danger that you get from things like motor sports or fighting, but I don't want to keep fucking myself up while doing it. What I miss even more is the sense of being in great shape and feeling like a king without too many aches and pains. Not necessarily the ability to kick someones ass, which was a great bonus, but a pretty useless skill in normal day to day life. This could be achieved with what you suggest and it is what I'm working towards with the running.

Who is Blaidd Drwg and whats up with Andy? I didn't follow for a while.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:08 pm

I have no idea. I ignore most of what goes on here.

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:23 pm

Fat Cat wrote:I have no idea. I ignore most of what goes on here.
Sooth!

Good luck Stig.

I had an old chiro tell me running is harder on your back than weight training. But I've found trail running to be fun, relaxing, and a lot easier on the body. I'm with Fats in regards that Pilates and Yoga will give you the overall physical feeling of fluidity and mobility that BJJ did.

Clubbells or Gadas may also be an option as well. I'd say cattleballs but I don't know the extent of your back and neck issues.

I really need to take my own advice
Southern Hospitality Is Aggressive Hospitality

PC Polar Circle Person
Sgt. Major

Post by PC Polar Circle Person » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:24 am

I'm not going to look at the FSF. Someone say hello to Andy from me! I guess he still hates everything and everyone?

There are a few things I could do when I was in top shape and that I still want to be able to do: Have decent conditioning (running is fine for that), climb a rope multiple times with arms only (pullups and shit + not getting fat - climbing could be fun!), have good balance, decent flexibility and good coordination (looks like Yoga might do that?). That's about it, so it doesn't take much. I'll probably leave all kind of weights alone, at least for now.

Fatty, I read your log. Hope you get the good folks back to training!

Edit: Ed, I run in very thin soled, hand made leather moccasins - like barefoot - on soft surfaces. My lower back and everything from the knees down got completely jacked in the beginning, but everything has adapted now.

Katacombs
Sarge

Post by Katacombs » Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:49 pm

"...have good balance, decent flexibility and good coordination."

You may want to take a look at the Dance of Shiva for that. If you need any resources or info let me know.

All the best,
K.

PC Polar Circle Person
Sgt. Major

Post by PC Polar Circle Person » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:41 pm

I might have to abandon the middle path once again... I have continued to run 2-3 times/week and yesterday I ran fast for the first time. After that I felt really good and watched some Genki Sudo highlights (don't know why, or how that happened - internet is weird) and got really inspired, so I watched the youtube video of my last fight back in 2009. There was no return after that. Today I went to the Academy and participated in a full BJJ training session. I sure was happy to have been running for a couple of months... Only sparred with my nephew, though, and that was just play.

Here's a Muay Thai related kick-ass story a friend who lives in Thailand posted on FB today (the tuk-tuk drivers are assholes, BTW): http://www.thephuketnews.com/news-local ... -27209.php

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates » Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:12 pm

LOL

Good luck. Pick your sparring partners wisely or just drill your ass off.
Southern Hospitality Is Aggressive Hospitality

PC Polar Circle Person
Sgt. Major

Post by PC Polar Circle Person » Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:21 am

Friday, Oct 14 BJJ

Giving Sarno a serious go. No pampering because there is nothing wrong anywhere else than in my mind. I was going to do everything just like everyone else, but my conditioning didn't last beyond the 2 minute positional half guard sparring rounds. Not once did it hurt and 90% of the time I have been completely pain free, which is already somewhat of o miracle. Occasionally the pain is trying to rear it's ugly head, I remind myself that it's TMS and I'm good to go. This is going to be interesting... Oh, BTW, some of my friends think that I'm completely insane which makes this even more fun.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:40 am

osss

PC Polar Circle Person
Sgt. Major

Post by PC Polar Circle Person » Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:10 am

BTW, this looks like physical training, but it is in fact psychological and spiritual therapy. A path towards my real, integrated self, if you will. I'm keeping a journal about emotional and psychological stuff that comes up and I'm starting to get a picture of what is wrong.

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates » Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:18 pm

It's amazing how our physical hobbies become a part of our psychological make up. I wish you health, happiness, and peace brother. Good luck.

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil » Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:34 pm

Ice Nigger wrote:BTW, this looks like physical training, but it is in fact psychological and spiritual therapy. A path towards my real, integrated self, if you will. I'm keeping a journal about emotional and psychological stuff that comes up and I'm starting to get a picture of what is wrong.
I look forward to this. Very interesting.

PC Polar Circle Person
Sgt. Major

Post by PC Polar Circle Person » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:36 am

Monday, October 17. BJJ
Tried to manage the whole deal, but again died on the Tatami after 4x3 minutes sparring from open guard. The back and neck are both fine and better day by day. I can go for hours with absolutely no pain or discomfort at all. Some really interesting questions pop up. Like: why do I keep burning myself out either with training, work or some other such thing? And why, when I burnt myself out, do I keep developing ailments that occupy my mind 24/7. What kind of more important issues do I suppress with this shit? I no longer seem to need to write anything down. As soon as I have the slightest pain, I just pay attention to what's really bothering me emotionally and the pain is gone. Just like that. I think we're way more amazing beings, in a way more amazing world than we even start to realize... I also think this shit is really, really simple, when you get down to the root of it.

EDIT: BTW, thanks to Jack Myers for bringing Sarno, as well as Chimay Blue to my attention years back!

PC Polar Circle Person
Sgt. Major

Post by PC Polar Circle Person » Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:06 pm

Monday, October 24. Light conditioning

Took a week off waiting for a flu to pass. Went to BJJ class and nobody else shoved up, so I just trained by myself.

PC Polar Circle Person
Sgt. Major

Post by PC Polar Circle Person » Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:43 pm

Got a bit sick again after Monday, so I passed Wednesday. Goal is to do BJJ 3x/week.

Friday October 28. BJJ
Terrible day at work, forgot to eat and almost broke down and cried before I realized that I need to eat something, which brought back my Spirit. I felt totally wasted after work. Went to class to breathe and sweat it all away and it served me very well. Called it a day after 45 minutes. I don't need to prove anything at all anymore, just enjoy.

PC Polar Circle Person
Sgt. Major

Post by PC Polar Circle Person » Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:56 pm

OK, my body doesn't respond in a positive way, so I'm doing something else for a while (got a bit sick again after training). One of the employees of the business we share facilities with came up with a 1 month walking competition between our companies and since yesterday we're all equipped with pedometers. We have never lost a competition to these guys before and everybody is walking like crazy right away. I'm not going to take this one over the top and I'm shooting for +10 000 steps/day (some of our people posted +30 000 steps right away on the first day and already decleared the other company chrushed - LOL, I have the bestest of crews!:)

Tuesday November 1. Walking 10900 steps.

PC Polar Circle Person
Sgt. Major

Post by PC Polar Circle Person » Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:05 pm

Wednesday 14158 steps
Thursday 11455 steps

PC Polar Circle Person
Sgt. Major

Post by PC Polar Circle Person » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:17 am

Steps:
Friday 11562
Saturday 20796
Sunday 14750

This is actually very enjoyable. Especially so when done in good company.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:44 am

Always been a fan of walking, it's the best way to think for me. Is Finland mountainous?