At Dawn We Rage.

Post your training journals here if you like. I'll make back-ups to avoid losing your data.

Moderator: Dux

Beer Jew
Sgt. Major

At Dawn We Rage.

Post by Beer Jew » Sun May 22, 2011 2:00 pm

As I said in my welcome post, I'm coming back from a few month layoff after screwing my knee up. This meant no weights at all, even upper body. The knee still isn't better, and I'll need surgery soon, but I missed the gym too much, so I'm trying to pack in a bit of volume before my next layoff. My numbers are pitiful, due to the break I took, but they'll be back to awesome soonish. Mainly trying to build my strength back up whilst I'm taught the olympic lifts, eventually looking to compete.
Last edited by Beer Jew on Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:23 pm, edited 8 times in total.

Beer Jew
Sgt. Major

Re: A Weightlifting Jew

Post by Beer Jew » Sun May 22, 2011 3:21 pm

Shitty session, knew it would be when I started squatting.

Warm up, foam rolling
Squats: Began to warmup with 60kg, knee started screaming at me, so I gave them a rest.
Press: 62.5 kg 7 triples
SLDL: 120 kg 3x5

Everything felt weak, don't think I was fully recovered from last workout. Also it was a temporary new gym which threw me with their shitty bars and hexagonal plates. Whatever, got some work in at least.

Beer Jew
Sgt. Major

Post by Beer Jew » Mon May 23, 2011 11:46 pm

Front squats: 90kg 5x2
Push press behind neck: 80kg x 5 singles
Press: 50kg x 6x6
Pendlay Rows: 80kg x5x5

Didn't get a chance to foam roll or warm down. Feeling it now.

Beer Jew
Sgt. Major

Post by Beer Jew » Wed May 25, 2011 11:23 am

I'm starting to notice things about my body after the layoff. I'm finding that taking an extra day off in between workouts, i.e. lifting once every two days, or a max of three times a week, and adding in an arm/bodyweight day in between is helping me stay nice and lean while adding strength and muscle.

Beer Jew
Sgt. Major

Post by Beer Jew » Thu May 26, 2011 5:36 pm

Olympic squats: Sets of 5 up to 100kg
Military press: 60kg 10x2, 40kg 2x10
Deadlifts: Sets of 5 up to 130kg 2x5
Curls: 25 kg 6x10

Strength is coming back slowly, I figure my max high bar squat for 5 is 120kg, which sucks, since I've squatted 180kg before, although lowbar and belted, and this is highbar unbelted, although I'm still a shitload weaker than I was. I need a solid plan to take me through the summer, simple and not too time consuming, since I'm pretty low on time, which will hopefully bring a sizeable chunk of my strength back. I think a Bill Starr High Low Medium sounds good. Something like:

Monday:
Squats: 5x5 weight across
Press: 5x5
Rows: 10x2

Wednesday:
Front Squats: 80% of mondays back squats for 5x5
Bench: 54321 x 1 or 2 depending on feel
Deadlift: Work up to top set of either 5 or 1

Friday:
Squats: Work up to top set of 5, a little higher than mondays, with the aim being to do 5x5 with it on monday
Press: 10x2
Rows: 5x5

Very simple, everything goes up when I get all the reps cleanly. Should give me some decent mileage.

Beer Jew
Sgt. Major

Post by Beer Jew » Sun May 29, 2011 10:06 am

Had flu over the weekend, most of it's passed, still have a lot of abdominal pain. Hopefully I'll be back in the gym tomorrow.

powerlifter54
Sergeant Commanding

Post by powerlifter54 » Sun May 29, 2011 1:58 pm

Two suggestions:

1. Do pullups or chins monday vice rows since you DL Weds...
2. Don't do a single in DL. Keep reps at 3s or 5s and do them off plate for variety. You are squatting so much you can't reliably do singles and they won't do much for you anyway.

jmo
"Start slowly, then ease off". Tortuga Golden Striders Running Club, Pensacola 1984.

"But even snake wrestling beats life in the cube, for me at least. In measured doses."-Lex

Beer Jew
Sgt. Major

Post by Beer Jew » Sun May 29, 2011 3:25 pm

So after I posted the message about the abdominal pain, it hit me that it was bank holiday tomorrow, and the gym would be shut, so I called my doctor, described the symptoms, and basically its just constipation. Sucks, but what can ya do? Either way, gym is shut tomorrow, so I needed to lift today, constipation an all. I also didn't want to begin a cycle of missing workouts, since I'm only really in the gym 3 days a week.

Squats: 90kg 5x5

Press: 50kg 5x5

Rows: 85kg 10x2

Felt good to be back with a structure, but I'm looking forward to the poundages not sucking again. I'll do some curls, and kettlebell tricep-extensions later at home and edit the post.

EDIT:
Curls: 25 kg barbell: 9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1 ladder run twice through, sub 30 sec rest between sets.
Tri Extensions: 20kg kettlebell: 9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1 ladder run twice through, sub 30 sec rest between sets.
Last edited by Beer Jew on Sun May 29, 2011 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Beer Jew
Sgt. Major

Post by Beer Jew » Sun May 29, 2011 3:30 pm

powerlifter54 wrote:Two suggestions:

1. Do pullups or chins monday vice rows since you DL Weds...
2. Don't do a single in DL. Keep reps at 3s or 5s and do them off plate for variety. You are squatting so much you can't reliably do singles and they won't do much for you anyway.

jmo
PL54,

Thanks for the suggestions, always very much appreciated. I saw this after I got back from the gym so I had already rowed, but whats the rationale behind not doing them a couple of days before deadlifting? If it helps I row very strict, pendlay style, back parallel to the floor the whole time, lower back arched, minimal if any hip movement. I also reset from the floor every rep.

As for singles, I'll gladly take your advice there. Do you mean deadlift standing on a plate, or put the bar on plates? Also how would you program that in, if at all? I don't think there should be much problem for me to do a top set of 5 in the deadlift once a week..... its how I reached my first 180kg deadlift a couple years back, before I took that stupid break.

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates » Sun May 29, 2011 4:56 pm

PL54 helped me a lot so listen to him.

I'd recommend a little rep work and keep the weights under 90%. I started back after 2 years of running and kettlebells. I did 5-3-1 based off of 90% of my maxes until I was hitting 15 to 20 reps on my last set. This was 3 or 4 months in and I switched some linear work and a little wave loading to mix things up. Don't rush the work. Look a long way down the road rather than at your next workout.

Good luck.
Southern Hospitality Is Aggressive Hospitality

Beer Jew
Sgt. Major

Post by Beer Jew » Sun May 29, 2011 10:27 pm

Ed Zachary wrote:PL54 helped me a lot so listen to him.

I'd recommend a little rep work and keep the weights under 90%. I started back after 2 years of running and kettlebells. I did 5-3-1 based off of 90% of my maxes until I was hitting 15 to 20 reps on my last set. This was 3 or 4 months in and I switched some linear work and a little wave loading to mix things up. Don't rush the work. Look a long way down the road rather than at your next workout.

Good luck.
Ed,

I most certainly will listen to his advice regarding the deadlifts. Regarding the rows, I never feel them too much, so they've never really stopped me deadlifting. As for the routine, I'm nowhere near 90% poundages right now. Just laying the groundwork. I think I'm going to stick with the 5x5 at least for another 6 weeks, as I hate changing routines too frequently. As for looking at the long haul rather than the next workout, I agree with you there, hence the conservative start with the poundages.

Cheers

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates » Mon May 30, 2011 3:03 am

Do what works for you amigo. I was just sharing my experience.

Good luck. Check your pm's.
Southern Hospitality Is Aggressive Hospitality

Beer Jew
Sgt. Major

Post by Beer Jew » Tue May 31, 2011 5:00 pm

Front Squats: 82.5 kg x 5 x 3

Bench: 70 kg x 5 x 5.......... 60 kg x 10

Deadlift: Sets of 5 up to top set of 140 kg x 5

Curls: 30 kg x 10,10,9,9,5
Tri Extensions: 30 kg x 6,5,4

Changed a couple things around, I realised after my first set of 5 with front squats that the limiting factor was the upper back, not the legs, so made it 5x3 instead.

Bench, I realised faffing around changing the weight for the ladders was too much bother, and there's nothing wrong with 5x5 and a good AMRAP set, since I'm only benching once a week and mainly for physique reasons.

Deadlifts were good, tried it without shoes, makes a pretty big difference so I think I'll start deadlifting in my chucks, after the PT told me I couldn't go shoeless in the gym.

Curls and tri's- no rhyme and reason, just searching for the pump. Figured I'd start with a weight I could get 10 strict with, and stop when I couldn't hit 5. Limit the rest to sub 30 s and you find that pump.

Beer Jew
Sgt. Major

Post by Beer Jew » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:33 pm

Spent the last couple of days away camping with some mates, meant loads of crappy food and terrible sunburn. My arms and legs are bright bright red. Just deciding whether to go lift today or not.

Beer Jew
Sgt. Major

Post by Beer Jew » Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:57 pm

Holy shit.... went in to lift today, worst session I've had in a long long time. Began squatting, heavy sunburn on the back of my thighs and calves made it very uncomfortable, made it to 100 kg and had to rack it after 3 reps. My lower back wouldn't hold. I'm pretty sure this is due to the ridiculously straight position I kept my back in while deadlifting on Wednesday. I have to say, when I used to deadlift like Orlando Green, I could hit 90% of my max nearly every day. Now one top set of 5 has wiped my lower back out for 3 days. I think it's time to give up the silly arched back style and go back to my slightly rounded stiff leg style.

My recovery methods have also gone to shit over the last couple of weeks. Due to illness, camping and starting an evening job, I've lost a lot of my appetite. The lifting just doesn't leave me as hungry as it used to. I'm down to an all time low of 83 kg. I think a lot of my recovery problems are stemming from me simply not getting enough protein recently. LOL- I remember reading someone on the starting strength forums saying the Texas Method was the perfect workout to gain strength without gaining weight- perhaps if you're diet consists of a solid 400g of protein a day, otherwise I just don't think its possible to squat for nearly 15 work-sets of 5 a week without putting on weight.

Either way, I gave up the squatting after the 100kg folded my lower back, and when a routine 60kg press felt like 80kg, I decided the work out was over for the day.

Beer Jew
Sgt. Major

Post by Beer Jew » Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:59 am

I've been running with the whole 5x5 thing for around 2 months now (restarted lifting in April, been running some variation of 5x5 since then), and to be honest I'm not loving it. Strength hasn't been increasing too much, and the volume isn't really enough for me to build decent muscle without fat. I've realised that time in the gym is going to be very limited over the next couple of months, to perhaps only twice a week some times. This week I'll be able to lift monday but then not again till friday, so I need something that will really tax my recovery during that time. I'm thinking of using Bryce Lane's 50/20- its something thats always worked to put muscle on me. To be honest, since I'm not competing due to work constraints any time soon, I'm more interested in hypertrophy than strength atm. I'm thinking of using 50/20 with maybe squats, push presses and shrugs, and hitting some heavy deadlifts once a week, and maybe some weighted push ups at home on off days. Something to think about.

Beer Jew
Sgt. Major

Post by Beer Jew » Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:35 pm

First day of 50/20

Squats: 100kg: 16
Push press: 70kg: 11

Deadlifts: worked up to 145kg x5

I know the weight I picked was too high, but there were reasons..... I've been ill for a week, these stupid new weightlifting shoes hurt my knee like a bitch, and I was ill for a week. And I had a 13 hour shift yesterday, for the entirety of which I was on my feet.

I think I'll adapt to the weight pretty soon. We'll see. Goals are:

50/20: 1.5xbw squat or 130kg, 1xbw push press, or 85kg, both for 50/20.
Bodyweight is 85kg, so even if I lose or put on a little, my first goals are those.
I also want to deadlift 2xbw again, which will be around 160kg.

Beer Jew
Sgt. Major

Post by Beer Jew » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:42 pm

Can't make it to the gym for several days, so supplementing with some bodyweight work.

Weighted pushups: 40# ruck: 50 total pushups

Beer Jew
Sgt. Major

Post by Beer Jew » Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:30 pm

Beautiful workout today. Things are really getting back on track.

All lifts done 50/20 style. Number after weight indicates total reps in 20 mins.

Front Squats: 80 kg: 20
Shrugs: 140 kg: 71
Push Press: 70 kg: 21 (with belt)
Curls: 30 kg + EZ curl bar: 31 reps in 10 mins

Good Mornings: 60 kg x 5 just to stretch lower back, then hung from pullup bar.

Really good workout, kept rests short, really got me feeling things again.
Shrugs were very very easy. I think I would have gotten more with 180 kg, but I'm taking things slow, so we'll see how my upper back feels in the morning to determine how effective they were.

I belted up for the push presses to save my lower back from fatiguing as I have a heavy moving job monday and tuesday, but I really don't think it helped that much, if at all. The good mornings seem to be magic tonic for the lower back.

Beer Jew
Sgt. Major

Post by Beer Jew » Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:18 pm

The shrugs are swoletastic... My traps have been sore all day, and very swole. They'll definitely be staying in. I think 50/20 with 500 lbs+ on these is a good goal at the moment.

chi

Post by chi » Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:28 pm

20 squats, 71 shrugs. YEAH FUCKER vanity > strength!!

So where in the UK you based then?
I'd say on the bottom of that self-actualisation pyramid shit, proper decent coffee is in there with wifi, tits, food and shelter

Beer Jew
Sgt. Major

Post by Beer Jew » Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:31 pm

chi wrote:20 squats, 71 shrugs. YEAH FUCKER vanity > strength!!

So where in the UK you based then?
lol..... the weight I used for shrugs seems a little low. Have to add a few kilos next time. I'm based in London... you from the UK?

chi

Post by chi » Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:32 pm

back end of beyond.....Norfolk. Just figuring out who on here drives on the correct side of the road
I'd say on the bottom of that self-actualisation pyramid shit, proper decent coffee is in there with wifi, tits, food and shelter

Beer Jew
Sgt. Major

Post by Beer Jew » Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:15 am

No time to get to the gym at the moment. 13 hour shift waiting tables today, and 9 hours tomorrow and the day after schlepping heavy boxes full of files, and tables and office chairs up four flights of stairs with no lift. I never thought I'd say this, but I'm beginning to love the manual jobs. There's no feeling quite like getting a paycheck when you know you had to work damn hard to get it, and earned every penny with good honest hard work.

Still managed to find time to get a workout in- 100 pushups broken into 10,15 and 20 rep sets done density style. Mixed positions- tricep pushups, wide grip and regular. Gives a wicked pump.

Beer Jew
Sgt. Major

Post by Beer Jew » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:48 pm

As per usual, all lifts done 50/20 style, except curls done 50/10 style. Number after weight indicates total reps in 20 mins

Push Press: 70 kg: 23 (with belt)
Shrugs: 150 kg: 70
Front Squats: 80 kg: 25
Curls: 30 kg + EZ curl bar: 36 reps in 10 mins
Ab Machine: 45 kg: 10 x 3

Good workout... done after a bloody hard days work moving heavy shit all day. All reps moved up. Workout took damn near 2 hours though. Had to sip lucazade through it.