9 weeks to a deadlift

Post your training journals here if you like. I'll make back-ups to avoid losing your data.

Moderator: Dux

dead man walking
Sergeant Commanding

9 weeks to a deadlift

Post by dead man walking » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:36 am

masters deadlift meet in early november. thought i might give it a shot. i haven't lifted "heavy" for a while, but the idea of a contest provides some motivation, which has been absent lately.

syaigh, channeling blaidd drwg, says deadlift monday, squat weds, assistance exercises friday. worth a try. emendations welcome.

previous max 330, back when. starting a bit easy:

4x115
3x185
2x235
1x245
1x285
2x3x235

ab whl x10
Really Big Strong Guy: There are a plethora of psychopaths among us.

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Re: 9 weeks to a deadlift

Post by Mickey O'neil » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:40 am

Nice, ddw. Good luck!

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma » Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:15 am

Good luck. Your goals inspire me. :rock:

Mountebank
Sgt. Major

Post by Mountebank » Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:58 am

dead man walking wrote:masters deadlift meet in early november. thought i might give it a shot. i haven't lifted "heavy" for a while, but the idea of a contest provides some motivation, which has been absent lately.

syaigh, channeling blaidd drwg, says deadlift monday, squat weds, assistance exercises friday. worth a try. emendations welcome.

previous max 330, back when. starting a bit easy:

4x115
3x185
2x235
1x245
1x285
2x3x235

ab whl x10
PL54 helped me recently with a program focused on DL for a comp in November. Feel free to look at my log if you want to borrow.

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:16 am

what has helped your dl move in the past?

how technically sound would you say you are?

where does the bar stall when it's heavy?

how's your squat?

what chronic injuries do you have?

what's your favorite accessory lift if any for the DL?

what's your least favorite?

what's your favorite repetition range for DL and Squat?
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

dead man walking
Sergeant Commanding

Post by dead man walking » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:20 am

thanks for the encouragement, guys.

blaidd, that is a lot of questions.

i haven't done much deadlifting. in the past i've improved my deadlift simply by deadlifting.

i've never stalled. i've got about 320 lbs of weight, and whatever i've ever put on the bar, i've got it up. i'm not sure how sound i am technically.

i've got some pain in my low back and hip on the right side, and my back will tighten up on me. i can row pretty much endlessly without back pain, but if i bend over and do chainsaw work, say, i'll feel it. i generally have tightness at the end of a deadlifting session.

i'm a lousy squatter with a sore right knee, and i don't much like to do it. i'm going to start squatting once a week and see what happens.

for accessory work, i have done some rdl, with low weight. also rows, both barbell and dumbbell. i find good mornings awkward. i am sure my form is somehow fucked. so i haven't done them. i thought i'd give them another try this time around.

i've never been a strength athlete. i've lifted off and on to complement other training. as i said, i largely lost my training mojo, and saw this local meet was coming up, and thought, why not give it a try?

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:47 pm

perfect. thanks. lemme think on this a little.

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:30 pm

DMW.

Couple ideas:

Goal is to complete a meet, go 3 for 3 and hopefully PR on the platform. In 9 weeks you're not going to get a ton stronger but you can get a lot better. that said here's one approach i think is plenty viable given your goals.

higher vol and frequency.

two days of pulling a harder and easier.

A)

8 sets of 2, ramp the weight up and down by feel. belt or no is your choice
alternate heavier and lighter weeks
week one pull standing on a plate, next week pull form the floor.
the weight pulling off a plate should be no higher than 80%, I'd start at 70% and work it up.
warm up and cool down with light squats or box squats.
you may choose to do grip work on this day as well
try to add a little weight each week, with the projected goal of being able to triple your opener.

B)

if you squat, consider high box squats but not make sure it doesn't bug your knees or low back.
if you want. 2 or 3 sets of 5, by feel, no huge straining.
light rdls sets of 2-3 sets of 8. you should leave 2-3 reps in the tank on each. (i'm thinking you could do 155-185 the whole 9 weeks on these and be fine. i woudl not push this weight much at all.
if you do accessory work, it should be on this day is should be easy back work, mostly BB type stuff. DB rows, hamstring curls, back extensions, calf raises. sets of 8 and above.

do the above until 4 weeks out, then switch to 10 singles on the A day, goal is to keep ramping and waiving the weight, a little more to the bar each week if you can. no worries is you stall. no failing but a couple singles with a strain is ok. you may choose to use a belt. 2 weeks out, try to pick and hit your opening weight plan your second attempt form there. The last pull at around 7-10 days out

that's the approach i would use for me if i had only 9 weeks. this should give you plenty of practice and a solid bump in your numbers. err on the side of over-recovering. band good-mornings and stretching everyday with help.

dead man walking
Sergeant Commanding

Post by dead man walking » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:00 pm

drwg,

thanks.

i think i can follow that without messing it up too bad.

on off days, just band good mornings and stretching? i'll probably throw in some easy rowing.

just so you know, i'm expecting that simply sticking with a consistent program for 9 straight weeks will produce heroic gains.

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:08 pm

dead man walking wrote:drwg,

thanks.

i think i can follow that without messing it up too bad.

on off days, just band good mornings and stretching? i'll probably throw in some easy rowing.

just so you know, i'm expecting that simply sticking with a consistent program for 9 straight weeks will produce heroic gains.
I have another approach that I've seen several masters lifters go through but they are training in a group and that can change the dynamics a lot.

the big takeawayas from this approach are:

practicing the form,
not missing reps,
gradual ramp up to heavier singles,
take good care of you back and shoulders
if you can or want to squat I think it will help quite a bit.
i think of the accessory work as restorative rather than targeted at weaknesses -pullign off a plate will expose start and top end weaknesses like nothing else.

and on days where you're pullign form the floor and have the urge to pull a heavier single, go for it, just make sure you hit that single and that you still can go down and finish the work on the doubles.

another thing that may be real helpful is to pick another lift you want to bring up, could even be a pet lift like 1 arm DB snatch or chins or bench. just having something else to focus on will keep you form getting too wound up if you have a stale day on the dead..which you will have those.

I think you'll do well, hit a PR and come back really stoked to get another number.

dead man walking
Sergeant Commanding

Post by dead man walking » Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:08 am

tuesday

5x10 band good morning
45 min paddle on erg

thur

4x12 band good morning
3x5 squat 60/60/80
3x8 rdl 165 across (felt it in my grip)
4x15 db row 30lb
3x6 bench 95/95/105
ab whl x10
2x20 hip bridge

dead man walking
Sergeant Commanding

Post by dead man walking » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:24 pm

labor day

squat x5/80/100

dead off 2' board 8x2
265 (wobble on the lock out)

squat x5/80

bench x6/2x105/110

shrug 3x12/30db

ab whl 2x8