The effect of damper settings on 2000meter time

Post your training journals here if you like. I'll make back-ups to avoid losing your data.

Moderator: Dux

Bobby
Sergeant Commanding

The effect of damper settings on 2000meter time

Post by Bobby » Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:39 pm

What effect does the damper setting have on your time on a 2000meter row?
I will try different settings next week but was wondering if any of you have experience on this.
You`ll toughen up.Unless you have a serious medical condition commonly refered to as
"being a pussy".

Bobby
Sergeant Commanding

Re: The effect of damper settings on 2000meter time

Post by Bobby » Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:40 pm

Mant to post this in the training forum but helping the wife with curtains so posted in the wrong place.Silly me!
You`ll toughen up.Unless you have a serious medical condition commonly refered to as
"being a pussy".

Alfred_E._Neuman
Sgt. Major

Post by Alfred_E._Neuman » Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:47 pm

Completely depends on the person doing the pulling. The C2 measures pace by figuring out how much power you're putting into each stroke and then using an equation to back that power and stroke rate into distance and pace. It does this by measuring how much the flywheel slows down between each stroke. The more air that can get to it (higher damper setting), the more it slows down between strokes.

So if you can keep the exact same stroke (same time spent on recovery and on drive) on a level 9 as on a level 3, you'd row much faster at the 9. But for each person there's a limit as to how long they can maintain a race stroke rate and still pull with the same drive time as on lower settings on the higher settings. Bigger guys can definitely get away with the higher settings due to more mass behind their drive.
I don't have a lot of experience with vampires, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once, but by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbor's dog.

Zombomatic

Post by Zombomatic » Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:01 pm

With the damper on 10 on a C2, I can do 1000 in about 4:30, 2000 in about 10:00, in the crappy cardio shape I'm in now. I've never tried it on a lower damper. I weigh 250lbs.

Jonny Canuck
Gunny

Post by Jonny Canuck » Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:29 pm

I think concept offers some good training videos that might help you. I Usually row for warmup but only 600 m and I keep the damper on 5. I think concept would recommend 5 or below for a 2000 m row.

Bobby
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bobby » Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:52 pm

I`ve tried both 3 and 5.Right now I keep the damper on 5.I`ll try different damper settings next week.Monday evening I`ll try a hihg setting and work down.
Just have to try to do it when feeling fresh.
"being a pussy".

Jonny Canuck
Gunny

Post by Jonny Canuck » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:23 pm

My row times are so much better after a rest day! I usually do a 500 m warm up then some stretching and bodyweight stuff and then my 1000 or 2000.

The Crawdaddy

Post by The Crawdaddy » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:28 pm

There is something on the C2 website about this IIRC:

http://www.concept2.com/us/training/bas ... ensity.asp
The best damper setting for a great cardiovascular workout is in the range of 3–5. Rowing with the damper setting too high can be detrimental to your training program because it may reduce your output and increase your risk of injury.....
Blaidd Drwg wrote:90% of the people lifting in gyms are doing it on "feel" and what they really "feel" like is being a lazy fuck.
"A good man always knows his limitations..." -- "Dirty" Harry Callahan

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:45 pm

When I row and I use 10. But I am rowing as a recovery/low intensity conditioning tool to try and flush the lactic acid and just general pain out of my lower back.

Man I love the C2.
Southern Hospitality Is Aggressive Hospitality

Bobby
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bobby » Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:34 pm

It helps a lot when I have hip pain (sound like an old man....well nearly there!)
"being a pussy".