Misogi

Post your training journals here if you like. I'll make back-ups to avoid losing your data.

Moderator: Dux

Bedlam 0-0-0
Gunny

Re: Misogi

Post by Bedlam 0-0-0 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:01 am

yoga
bicycled around the city for 3 hours and took photos.
walk

Felt pretty ecstatic doing yoga today. It's not something to attach to or try for but just a signpost. Every practice is a new one.

I don't use props very often. Usually for forward bends but I'm curtailing that for a while. Using props changes angles and pressure.

Bedlam 0-0-0
Gunny

Post by Bedlam 0-0-0 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:05 am

Yesterday
ice water douse
yoga
3 hour bike ride

today
yoga
attila dumb bell routine
ice water douse
walk

I started adding in more back bends into my routine. Bridges and walking down the wall from standing into a degree of back bend. The standing method allows me to create a strong base through my hips and legs. I figure that this type of pose can help quell a low level fight or fight response. Fight or flight tends to cause a person to contract around his or her vulnerable belly. The yin area (abdomen) contracts and the yang surface (back) is expanded. An angry cat with an arched back is a good example of this. I will see if this movement has any effect on my mind.

A couple other things I'm working with.
1. Tadasana. Standing with the feet together. Simple enough right? Now close the eyes. When I do this I sway around. It shows me how much of my proprioception is from my eyes. More tension means more swaying with eyes closed too. Relaxing into the structure of my spine hips and legs decreases the swaying. I don't know if this has any special benefit. Maybe none. When doing a series of standing postures I return to tadasana after a couple of the postures in the same manner that I return to shavasana.
2. The body is organized around the spine. I'm just paying more attention to this. When I'm thinking too much my attention is in my head. Awareness of this and returning the attention to an even spread across the spine seems to help. Hard to explain.
3. I observe my mind beginning to expect some sort of results. This is counterproductive but I can just be aware of it. I read a quote from Vanda Scaravelli in which she stated, "yoga takes infinite patience and no ambition." Truth

Bedlam 0-0-0
Gunny

Post by Bedlam 0-0-0 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:13 am

Same old...yoga, atilla, bagua, swimming, biking and I added some sprinting. It feels good to go through the full range of motion in a sprint.

In yoga I've only been doing a few poses per session, often with multiple periods of relaxation/corpse pose. When my mind goes into "4 Low...Granny gear" and I come back to the world I usually call it a day. Sometimes this happens quickly sometimes slowly.

Simple classification of poses.
general:
seated
standing

More specific:
forward bending
side bending
back bending

Can be stand alone or addition to the previous three:
twisting
inversion

A million poses are just variations on a theme. No need to get fancy.

Bedlam 0-0-0
Gunny

Post by Bedlam 0-0-0 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:16 am

Started rolling again. I've moved from Socal so I have to find a new place to train until I can get back to Ace in Fountain Valley. Yesterday's class was good and it was great to be back on the mat. I'm going to check out another school and see how the instruction and rolling partners are. Get in where you fit in.

Still doing all the same...yoga, biking, walking, swimming. Nothing crazy and I'm not pushing hard. Just moving.

Bedlam 0-0-0
Gunny

Post by Bedlam 0-0-0 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:53 pm

I've been experimenting with more and more relaxation. The accumulation of stress in life from birth on can't be erased by more stress, only by relaxation. I've continued to use a handful of yoga postures to sit or stand in with the idea being to use as little effort as possible to hold the form. Additionally as stated the posture should be steady and stable. The mind will want to achieve something, to move to the next posture, to force further into the stretch or to force the body to hold a position longer than the body wants to. Going past the body's threshold changes yoga to sport. IMO the mind will push for something but it has very little endurance for nothingness. So if I just wait a little bit I can feel the tension/pushing leave and the mind gives up and relaxes/accepts the posture and to accept that there is no end in sight...that it will just have to wait. Often the mind tries to sneak up again.

Mentally moving the attention through the body will pull the attention from the fantasies of the mind and reduce tension. I believe that moving the attention from one side of the body to the other over and over seems to have some sort of effect on the brain and possibly on integrating past events. This might be part of the idea in alternate nostril breathing. Closing off the nostril may not be that important but switching the attention from side to side may be the important thing. Swami Satyananda Saraswati uses a method of "mental alternate nostril breathing" in a couple of his yoga nidra exercises. That is where I came across this idea. I have found benefit for PTSD in this work.

I read Swami Satyananda Saraswati's book titled Yoga Nidra a month or so ago. It isn't worth buying simply because all the yoga nidra exercises are on youtube though his descriptions of what is happening during the exercises is interesting. Yoga nidra means yoga sleep. The idea is to bring the mind and body to a state of deep sleep yet remain conscious to some degree or another. Here is some info from Swami J on yoga nidra http://www.swamij.com/yoga-nidra.htm

In SSS's book Yoga Nidra he claims that doing yoga nidra for an hour is like getting 2 or 4 hours of sleep. I went through a busy period for a few weeks where I was getting very little sleep, in one case only 1 hour. I found if I did the exercise I needed much less sleep. If I just slept I would be out of commission. Sometimes during the exercise I just go completely blank but come to when the exercise is ending which may indicate that I was in a different state than normal sleep. After some sessions, I feel a deep relaxation that lasts for 30 minutes to an hour afterward. Problems seem easier to deal with and are less likely to trigger me to get agitated.

I have been using this guy's recordings: http://www.youtube.com/user/spandakarika/videos?view=0 Which are from SSS's book. Normally I detest the guided meditation thing because it moves too slow and I get irritated with breathy talking. The thing I like about these recordings is that he moves through things relatively quickly. The attention just needs to touch and go. Most guided meditations linger forever on an area and attempt to get you to consciously cause a change. This doesn't work for me. The touch and go method of rolling the attention through the body works for me. The mind works to quickly for the slow method imo.

So anyway, that has been my focus and I started once a week back to jiujitsu. Next week I will bump it to 2 days if I'm feeling it. The relaxation has impacted my jiujitsu in a positive way.
Do less to do more.

odin
Sgt. Major

Post by odin » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:23 am

Interesting post. I've never managed to get into yoga nidra, although on paper it appeals to me. I bought Swami J's guided yoga nidra thing, but find like yourself that guided meditations can often turn me right off. And having a man's voice inside your head as you lie in bed is the opposite of relaxing for me. Call me uptight I guess.

That said, I did find his meditation CD's to be of some use - and he too uses the 'virtual' nostril breathing, where you simply move attention from one nostril to the next. Apart from anything else, that practice really focuses your attention and increases overall mindfulness of the breath. I rated it.
Don't try too hard, don't not try too hard

Bedlam 0-0-0
Gunny

Post by Bedlam 0-0-0 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:16 am

Here is an interesting article on yoga nidra. http://www.yogamag.net/archives/1991/fn ... astr.shtml
In the beginning, the yoga nidra exercises were very similar to the relaxation response ones. Later some of the exercises include simulating the feeling of absolute pain as best a person can followed by feeling absolute pleasure. As the article indicates the body seems to light up the pain or pleasure pathways and done for a long enough period of time the pathways seem to just quiet down. It seems that it is similar to when a person encounters a new smell. Then are acutely aware of it at first but later they don't notice it. This apparently can lead to better mental/emotional control. At least this has been experience.

Xian
Sarge

Post by Xian » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:51 am

I've frequented a school in the same tradition as SSS. Yoga Nidra was a core practice. It is awesome for relaxation, and the part with mental alternate nostril breathing technique has always been one of the most 'effective' parts of it for me. Often sending me to sleep the initial couple of times I did it.
The way I was taught it there is also a 'Sankalpa' or resolution at the beginning and end of the YN practice, sort of like self-suggestion. Coupled with the profound relaxation it should give you easier access to the sub-conscious and affect you behavior in a profound way. I remember a story of a man sailing across some great ocean who beforehand 'willed' himself to be able to sustain himself somewhat on saltwater. Which he ended up having to do.
Another story relayed to us about the "power of the mind" was of a guy who locked himself in freezer by accident and froze to death confirmed by autopsy. But the freezer wasn't turned on...
Yoga Nidra is a great practice for relaxation and self improvement/behavior change in my experience.

Have fun with the BJJ!
There is a vast difference between treating effects and adjusting the causes.

Bedlam 0-0-0
Gunny

Post by Bedlam 0-0-0 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:36 am

Thanks Xian! Some of the videos I posted contain the Sankalpa in the beginning and end of the relaxation. That is pretty crazy about the salt water guy and the chap who froze to death. There really is something to utilizing positive programming for the mind.

Yesterday
bagua, sumo squats, slow squats, one legged squats, slow pushups, hold the jackknife position and hold the legs and head off the ground. Later went to jiujitsu. My game is rusty but it feels good to be rolling again. Still taking it slow. 1 or 2 days a week only.

Today. Walk, take it easy, recover.

Bedlam 0-0-0
Gunny

Post by Bedlam 0-0-0 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:40 am

sumo squats, slow heels together squats, pistols, slow push up, push up position hold, slow reps from boat to half boat position, supermans.

Follow with easy sitting yoga postures and yoga nidra.

I'm not sure if I posted this or not yet. It deals with PTSD and yoga nidra http://www.kripalu.org/kyta_artcl.php?id=265
And an interesting first hand account of a guy with cerebral palsy using yoga nidra.
http://www.ahymsin.org/main/index.php/M ... nidra.html

Bedlam 0-0-0
Gunny

Post by Bedlam 0-0-0 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:10 pm

Yesterday:
slow squats, pistols with door assistance/slow, handstand holds, slow push up, full to half boat, handbalances (mainly abdominal work), slow crunch, side leg raise.

relaxed asana practice.

yoga nidra.

Bicycled around to drink liquor.

Bedlam 0-0-0
Gunny

Post by Bedlam 0-0-0 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:30 pm

1. sumo squats, pistols, heels together squat, feet straight ahead squats.
handstand hold, pushup hold, slow pushups, hand balance,
supermans,

2. triangle pose, upward, downward dog, siddhanasana

3. yoga nidra/relaxation.

1. build up
2. circulate
3. sublimate

Bedlam 0-0-0
Gunny

Post by Bedlam 0-0-0 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:20 pm

sumo squats, pistols, coiled snakes, handstand hold, pushup hold, slow pushup, cross legged to L sit handbalances, 1/2 boat to side boat to superman.

yoga asanas.

yoga nidra/relaxation.

walk. Probably bicycle or do jiujitsu later.

Bedlam 0-0-0
Gunny

Post by Bedlam 0-0-0 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:11 pm

Yesterday jiujitsu followed by bicycle riding and some tequilla.

Today:
pistols, sumo squats, sit in sumo squat and rotate the upper body through range of motion, coiled snakes, hand stand hold, push up hold and slow, full to half boat slow, superman, L sit holds.

yoga asanas: siddhasana, forward bend, legs apart forward and side bend, butterfly

Yoga nidra/relaxation. My breath kept stopping for periods of time in relaxation. When this happened my mind was totally blank, then when the need for air came I would bob back into being more conscious. I got in late and was tired this morning but doing this series was rejuvenating.

I will probably bike or swim tonight.

Bedlam 0-0-0
Gunny

Post by Bedlam 0-0-0 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:04 pm

Over the weekend, bicycled around the city and caroused. Also did some yoga nidra/relaxation.

pistols, sumo squats, bagua body rotating exercise thing from squatting position, handstand holds, pushup hold, slow pushups, slow hindu pushups, L sits, half boat to side boat (if that is even a posture) slowly, supermans

yoga asanas.

yoga nidra/relaxation. Probably hit jiujitsu tonight.