Working Out, Surfing and Meditating

Post your training journals here if you like. I'll make back-ups to avoid losing your data.

Moderator: Dux

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Re: Working Out, Surfing and Meditating

Post by Bram » Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:14 pm

Tuesday, July 30th

DB Seated Arnold Press 35's x 12, 40's x 8, 45's x 4
and
DB Calf Raise 35lbs x 20, 15, 15

DB Incline Bench Rows [squeeze mid/low trap] 30's x 15, 35's x 12, 30's x 12

Decline Knee Raises [neutral back] x 20, 15, 12 -- low abs seized up on set 2

Stability Ball Hamstring Curl [neutral back] x 20, 15, 12

+ Standing Dual Cable Row - Elbows Up [neutral back, squeeze mid/low trap] 15's x 15, 12; DB Reverse Wrist Curl 15lbs x 15, DB Wrist Curl 25lbs x 15; DB Shin Raise 30lbs x 15

Stretching 15 minutes

Keeping the neutral back felt great on hamstrings, knee raises and standing rows. I think I compensate super heavily with my lumbar spine, and know I did it on the incline rows and the seated press. Something to work on! :happiness:
"My candle burns at both ends; It will not last the night; But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends—It gives a lovely light!" - Edna St. Vincent Millay

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:59 pm

Wednesday, July 31st

Downhill Mountain Biking 2 hours + Stretching 10 minutes

In Steamboat Springs, Colorado, on a family trip. My aunt and uncle's friends have a condo near a ski lift, and me and my cousin rented mountain bikes and picked up a lift ticket.

Have never done this and it was epic. You got boosted 2000' up, then basically coast down with the occasional peddle for speed.

Started on a few beginner runs, then tried some intermediates and felt that was my skill cap. Lots of jump opportunities, though I only took two of them and they were dinky at that. Walked one steep, sketchy section with loose dirt. The hardest part was two steep switchback berms in a row with a geometric concrete reinforcement. I kinda wimped out on the first, pushed the second, then went off the trail on the exit. Managed to crash with one foot on the ground and no wounds. :prayer:

Somehow I got myself to stretch afterwards, my poor hands and calves took the worst beating - just both cramping. Felt good to loosen them up.

It was super fun and I'd love to do it again. And Steamboat is a great city, definitely made me feel like working harder because it looks expensive to come here. Thanks to Pam and Paul for hosting!!
"My candle burns at both ends; It will not last the night; But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends—It gives a lovely light!" - Edna St. Vincent Millay

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:52 pm

Thursday, August 1st

Running in Place x 15-20 seconds
and
Jumping Jacks x 10-15
3 rounds

Overhead Broomstick Squats x 10-15
and
Spider-Man Crawl x 10 each
and
Outside Crescent Kicks x 10 each
2 rounds

BB Bench 155 x 6, 165 x 4, 185 x 2
BB Bent-Over Row UHG [squeeze mid/low traps smoothly; hold on last rep] 95lbs x 15, 12, 12
Hanging Knee Raise [neutral back] Chest Height x 9, Chest Height x 3 + Hips Height x 4, Hip Height x 7
Bench Jump Squats x 20, 15, 15
Glute-Ham Raise x 10, 8, 8

+ Wrestler's Bridge Forwards x 20, Wrestler's Bridge Backwards x 20

Stretching 15 minutes

Reading Joe Friel's book "The Cyclist's Training Bible" and he has a good line in the opening chapters: "Finish most workouts feeling like you could have done more."

This workout is based on a concept I have on max sets for your body. Even things like jumping jacks are assigned a numerical value for how much they fatigue a person. Theoretically I could do 1200 jumping jacks and call it a workout, and not over do it...or I could do the above. Left feeling refreshed!

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:06 pm

Friday, August 2nd

Outdoor Meditation 15 minutes + Nature 10 minutes

A little deeper into "The Cyclist's Training Bible" and filled with all sorts of ideas to help my surfing and my training.

Among them is the re-inclusion of a dedicated meditation and nature practice.

I've known for quite some time that 30 minutes of weekly meditation makes me noticeably more patient with other people, and that 90 minutes makes me behave like an unknown, better version of myself. As I've alluded to many times in my training log, my ego and criticism of myself and others often ruins great surf sessions.

Additionally, I've witnessed improvements in all my senses with spending 10-15 minutes of time trying to connect to nature: watching the flight of birds or the path of ants, listening to the sounds of a stream go by, feeling the texture of grass, or smelling the fucking flowers.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:50 pm

Sunday, August 4th

Came down with a pretty shitty flu on Friday, still kicking my ass a bit.

Band Terminal Knee Extensions - Purple x 20 each x 4 sets

Sahrmann Exercise Level 2 x 15 each x 3 sets
and
Scap Push-Ups x 20 x 3 sets

Got a throbbing headache....rested for 10 minutes.

Slow Front Kicks x 20 each x 4 sets

Slow Back Kicks x 20 each x 3 sets

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:53 pm

A bunch of bullshit.
Last edited by Bram on Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:48 pm

More bullshit.
Last edited by Bram on Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:15 am, edited 4 times in total.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:10 am

Monday, August 5th

Still battling the flu, but on the mend. Woke up drenched in sweat. Head hurts to the touch, throat hurts, appetite suppressed.

Meditation ~10 minutes + Gratitude Reflection

----

Today's class I just had them breathe, told them if something comes up to let it go and focus on their breath....and if they can't let it go, just focus on your breath and try to make it through it. Class seemed to lose it after about 10 minutes, so I ended then.

I end every class with a compassion mediation where you think kindly towards yourself and others (a loved one, a neutral person, a difficult person, the world), but skipped it today. I'm tired of Trump and the fucked-up shit he says, he's my difficult person for the compassion meditation and I just didn't want him in my head.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:42 am

Tuesday, August 6th

Box Jumps 33" x 10, 10"; 36" x 10 x 2 sets
and
Endless Rope 45 seconds x 577 feet, 585, 587, 562

Clapping Push-Ups x 7, 7, 7, 5

Mountain Climbers 45 seconds x 95, 77, 60, 54

Lying Back Extension - Arms at 45 Degrees x 3 minutes, 2.5 minutes

Stretching 15 minutes

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:24 am

Wednesday, August 7th

Meditation 10 minutes [focusing on the breath] + Compassion Meditation

Four people in class today, two of them were very upset about the weekend's mass shootings. We talked about it a bit.

I made the point that with our breathing meditation, we get a chance to let go of some thoughts. And with the compassion meditation, we get to add in some positive ones. I don't know what the hell that would do to console them, but I was pretty sad about it too and it's what I came up with.

----

Surfing 1.5 hours

Felt so good to get back in the water! Oh my goodness was there long breaks between waves....but, I got into a few and came in happy.

----

Cable Internal Rotation - Elbow by Side 50lbs x 20 each x 2 sets

Cable Reverse Flyes 20lbs x 20 x 4 sets
and
Band Side Walk - Purple x 20 each x 4 sets

Lying Band Adduction [working leg straight, non-working leg at 45 degrees] - Orange x 20, 14, 12, 10 each

Sahrmann Level 2 x 15, 15, 8; Level 1 x 15 each
and
DB Side Lying External Rotation 7.5lbs x 20, 15R/12L (tried to fire from just below my posterior delt, seemed right)

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:37 am

Friday, August 9th

Surfing 1.25 hours

Tiny waves for the most part, but got a few fun ones.

----

Seated Cable Row 50lbs x 20, 20; 60lbs x 10, 10
and
DB Standing Overhead Press 30's x 10, 7; 25's x 8-10, 7-8

DB Windmill - Low Hand 25lbs x 10 each x 2 sets, 30lbs x 10 each, 35lbs x 10 each

Bench Step-Downs x 10 each x 4 sets
and
DB 1-Leg Deadlifts 30lbs x 10 each x 4 sets

Stretching 15 minutes

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:46 pm

Saturday, August 10th

BB Curls 60lbs x 12, 10, 8, 7
and
Leaning Overhead Rope Triceps Extensions 42.5lbs x 15, 12, 12, 12

DB Shrugs 35's x 20, 18, 15, 12
and
Cable Reverse Flyes 20lbs x 20 x 4 sets

BB Ulnar Deviation 9lbs x 20 each x 2 sets
and
BB Radial Deviation 9lbs x 20 each x 2 sets

Stretch Wrists, Forearms, Biceps, Traps, Triceps

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:59 pm

Sunday, August 11th

Surfing 45 minutes

Tiny waves, still kinda fun.

Monday, August 12th

Chin-Ups x 8, 6, 6, 6
and
DB Walking Lunges 30's x 15 each, 35's x 15, 40's x 10, 45's x 8

BB Bench 155lbs x 5, 165 x 4, 175 x 2, 185 x 1
and
Hanging Knee Raises [neutral back] x 15, 10, 8, 6

BB Deadlifts 185lbs x 5 x 4 sets

Stretching 15 minutes

----

What a bunch of self-fellating nonsense I wrote a few entries ago. Breaking my workouts up into this weird bastardization (one core, one upper push, one upper pull, one lower push, one lower pull) already has me feeling shitty. Added in the following exercises to make it a bit more balanced:

Seated Cable Rows 50lbs x 15 x 4 sets (chin, bench, row is a more balanced upper workout)

45 Degree Side Bends x 15 each x 4 sets (abs, obliques is a more balanced core workout)

Glute-Ham Raises x 15, 15, 12, 10 (quad press, hamstring flexion, hamstring hip extension is a more balanced lower body workout)

----

Meditation 30 minutes

Meditation 15 minutes + Compassion Meditation

----

Surfing 45 minutes

Better than yesterday, got some turns in. Yew!

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:04 am

Tuesday, August 13th

Surfing 2 hours

The ocean went to sleep the last 45 minutes, but I got a good chunk of waves before that. It's very small, but occasionally there'd be a section. One wave in particular was excellent (for the conditions) and I got 3-4 turns with some hustle on it.

----

My next routine (seeing as how I last about a week or less on each one I write up, this is most likely an exercise in futility):

Upper Body - chins, row, chest or shoulder press, biceps, triceps, abs, obliques, upper back
Lower Body - squat, lunge, calf, ham, low back, adductor, abductor, vmo
Full-Body Explosive - upper push, upper pull, core, lower push, lower pull, glute extension, upper back, tva

If I somehow have the willpower for a fourth day, I can repeat any of the above with slight changes, or just toss in all the less important, but still helpful things for surfing I won't be doing.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:51 pm

Wednesday, August 13th

Surfing 1 hour

Fun waves today! The last 15 minutes it died, but there was a lot of runners (little waves that kept you afloat) and a few nice ones that I did some turns on. I ate shit on one of the best waves and ripped my shorts down to my knees, but luckily not off.

Meditation ~5 minutes [counting how long it takes to inhale and exhale] + Compassion Meditation

Cable Internal Rotation - Elbow by Side 50lbs x 20 each x 2 sets

DB Seated Shoulder Press 35's x 15, 12, 10-12, 10
and
Seated Cable Rows - Elbows In 50lbs x 20, 20; 60lbs x 12, 10-12

Push-Ups x 15, 12, 10, 10
and
Standing Cable Row - Elbows Up 85lbs x 20, 15-20, 15, 12

DB Hammer Curls 22.5lbs x 15, 12, 12, 10
and
Pushdowns 50lbs x 12, 12, 12, 10-12

45 Degree Side Bends x 15 each x 4 sets (as douche as it is, I lifted my shirt up and noticed I don't contract my low abs enough, helped me activate)
and
Decline Leg Raises x 15, 10, 8, 6

Cable Internal Rotation - Arm Wrestlers 35lbs x 20 each, 20R/15L

Stretch Forearms, Wrists, Chest, Lats, Biceps, Triceps, Hip Flexors, Glutes, Obliques, Abs

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:30 pm

Thursday, August 15th

Surfing 1.5 hours

The waves were infrequent, but I caught a good number of them. Only felt like I surfed well on my final one.

Friday, August 16th

Surfing 1 hour

Infrequent again, but got a couple smaller fun ones. Felt like even though the speed wasn't there, I was doing a nice job of letting the board get ahead of my body and pivoting around with my hips.

Afterwards had a delicious picnic on the beach: goat cheese, carrots, figs, grapes and smoked salmon

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:04 am

Saturday, August 17th

Surfing 1.25 hours

Got a couple fun waves. This one girl around college age was ripping these tiny waves. I have no idea how she was getting so much power out of them.

Ended my day checking out a new (to me) brewery called Poseidon Project. Met up with an old roommate and friend I hadn't seen in a few years and got to watch the return of Nate Diaz -- good night of fights!

Sunday, August 18th

Surfing 1 hour

Got a few more fun waves on an absolutely perfect San Diego day - a few clouds along the horizon, warm water, clear conditions. The waves hovered in the 1-2.5 foot range. At the end I started thinking I needed sunscreen (though still felt fine), a bunch of people paddled out and I commenced to sit there for around 30 minutes to catch another wave. Next time I got to act on the sunscreen.

----

BB Wide Stance Squats [7 blocks + 3 x 5lb plates] 185lbs x 8 x 4 sets
and
DB Calf Raises 25lbs x 20, 15, 15, 15

DB Walking Lunges 30's x 12 each x 4 sets
and
DB Shin Raise 30lbs x 20, 35lbs x 15 x 3 sets

Band Side Walk - Purple x 20 each x 4 sets
and
Seated Adduction 60lbs x 20, 50lbs x 15, 15, 12

Lying Hamstring Curls 90lbs x 8, 6, 5, 6
and
Band Terminal Knee Extensions - Purple x 20 each x 4 sets

BB Deadlifts 135lbs x 10, 8, 7, 5

Stretch Legs 10 minutes

Notes: on the squats I tried to stretch my spine long...it feels like I have a tendency to over arch my last bit of lumbar spine, felt tougher but better.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:08 pm

Monday, August 19th

Meditation 15 minutes [repeating "love" on the in-breath and out-breath] + Compassion Meditation

One of the gym members, Aldis, committed suicide over the weekend. Every time I made eye contact with him he had a lopsided grin and always seemed to have good energy. But I never interacted with him all that often. I think about how I am friendly to a lot of people, but not everyone...sometimes people don't like you and maybe it's okay in those situations to not worry about it and let them be. But I could have given Aldis more "hey, how you doing!" type things. And maybe it would have made a little difference. I'm not beating myself up over it, but it still sucks to find out someone around you felt strongly enough to take their own life.

Rest in peace Aldis. :(

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:21 pm

Wednesday, August 21st

Outdoor Meditation [naming thoughts] + Nature Time 15 minutes

Woke up a little early today and found myself with some extra time before work. Headed to this spectacular meditation spot: a low, beach-side rock just out of range of the waves. I parked myself there and listened to the roar and sizzle of the breakers. Afterwards I found a shady, grassy area and watched the butterflies, birds, bugs and plants around me.

Meditation Class ["in with the good" on the in-breath, "out with the bad" on the out-breath] + Compassion Meditation

----

Cable Internal Rotation 50lbs x 20 each x 2 sets

Pull-Ups x 7, 5, 5, 5
and
DB Bench 55's x 12, 10, 8, 8

Seated Rows [contracting mid/low traps at end] 35-42.5lbs x 4 sets
and
DB Lateral Raise 15's x 4 sets

BB Curls [keeping shoulder blades neutral] 60lbs x 4 sets
and
Leaning Overhead Rope Triceps Extensions 42.5lbs x 15, 50lbs x 3 sets

Hanging Knee Raises [engaging abs] x 4 sets
and
BOSU Sit-Ups with Band [engaging abs] x 4 sets

Cable Twist [standing tall] 20lbs/20lbs + Bumper x 15 each x 4 sets

DB Side Lying External Rotation [contracting mid/low traps at end] 5lbs x 20 each x 2 sets

Stretch Upper Body [forgot to stretch core]

Upper Body Notes: after doing the pull-ups, I thought my shoulder blade movement felt off. I decided to drop the weights for the rows and rotator cuff and focus on engaging the mid-back. For the rows this also meant a slightly decreased range. Looks like I will have to drop chin-ups/pull-ups for a bit and work on lat pull-down form to train myself to engage my upper back muscles.

Core Notes: I have been struggling with what to focus on during core for quite some time. Today I simply tried to engage the abs prior to each ab rep, and stand as tall as I could during the cable twists. The abs felt way better, and the obliques not only felt better, but prior to standing tall I could feel stress at my lumbar spine.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:28 pm

Thursday, August 22nd

Meditation 10 minutes ["impermanence" on the in-breath and out-breath]

Very calm today. One measurement I use of my mind-state is how long I keep my eyes open. If I have a calm mind, my eyes stay open much of the meditation. If my mind is busy, my eyes may never open. Open eyes almost the entire time. Came in from this feeling super good.

Surfing 2 hours

Hard at first to get into any waves, but at around the 30 minute mark I started to catch some and as the session continued I caught more. There are a number of things I struggle with in surfing, some of them today I was able to overcome: not enough sunscreen (applied 3x), bad vibes (cheered for almost everyone), shallow bottom turns (was able to get deeper/lower on the wave) and lastly, when I do a standard turn I tend to finish it half-ass (today as I got deeper into the turn, I stretched/rotated my trunk further and began to angle a little vertical).

Awesome session!

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:40 pm

Friday, August 23rd

Surfing 1.25 hours

Lots of fun waves. At the end everyone went in and I got this gorgeous and punchy wave. I tried hard to do a deeper bottom turn, got a hard* turn off the top, thought I was going to bury the front of the board, came out of it right in the heart of the wave, and did another hard* turn in the pocket.

* I've seen video of myself surfing on other days, and although it "felt" hard, it probably wasn't all that impressive.

Surfing 1.25 hours

Again lots of fun waves, I saw Jacob (local kid) get a nice barrel with two sections that threw over his head. It was a nice window where the tide was just right. Got some more fun turns and felt great!

Saturday, August 24th

Surfing 2.5 hours

Got up at 4:15AM to drive north to chase the swell. The northern tip of San Diego channels a lot more power on southern swells and it did not disappoint. Reeling, glassy waves. But....I only caught little short guys. All but one had good power and I would get 1-2 juicy little turns.

Surfing 45 minutes

After a snack of beef jerky and 4 ounces of water which is a terrible idea when you're dehydrated), I went back out and proceeded to suck. Misjudged my one good wave and ended up doing a little speed check turn which cost me the rest of the wave. Flipped the board twice (!), one time getting drug over the fins and nicking my leg. And lastly tried a backside turn and messed that up too. Only thing I can think of is more water and a better snack.

When I got back home I did a surf check and it was very meager, so made the right call!

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:27 pm

Sunday, August 25th

Surfing 1.25 hours

A bit low tide at my home break. A bit low tide here equals more sketchy. Sure enough a good local named Tim smashed his board up a bit, although he wasn't wearing a leash and it happened after his board slipped away. Today was one of those gorgeous summer moments where the water is warm and clear, the sky has a few wispy clouds and the sun feels just right.

Got a good tip from Tim to look down the line (the line of the wave). I tend to look at the nearest section, but by looking down the length of the wave it gave me a better sense of when I needed to step on the gas. Got some fun waves and did some good feeling little turns. Another thing I'm trying to be conscious of is not spamming turns when the section isn't there. Often you'll see good surfers do a few heavy maneuvers then kick out as the wave softens up. I often try to turn when the speed isn't there. Worked on being conscious of quality over quantity.

Monday, August 26th

Meditation [counting the inhale and exhale] + Nature 15 minutes

Meditation Class [repeating "love" at your own cadence] + Compassion Meditation

Feeling skinny so trying to get back on my bodybuilder diet of five clean meals a day.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:33 am

Tuesday, August 27th

Meditation 10 minutes [repeat "relax" silently on the exhale]

---

Stretch Core + Upper Body

Today I decided to focus on exhaling through my mouth, inhaling through my nose and one additional thing per exercise.

Chin-Ups x 6, 5, 4-5, 4 [contract upper back at top]
and
Decline Leg Raises x 15, 10, 10, 10 [brace core at bottom]

DB Bench 60's x 6; 55's x 9. 8, 7 [stretch chest on eccentric]
and
Hanging Knee Raises x 4 sets [contract abs at top]

DB Seated Shoulder Press 22.5's-27.5's x 4 sets [feel upper back on eccentric]
and
45 Degree Side Bends x 4 sets [contract obliques...this manifested itself in also contracting low abs/glutes on working side]

Seated Rows 35lbs x 4 sets [contract back at closest the handle is to you]
and
Pushdowns 35lbs x 4 sets [neutral shoulders]

DB Curls 15's-20's x 4 sets [neutral shoulders]

Band External Rotation - Elbow by Side x 2 sets [pull from rear delt]

DB Seated External Rotation - Elbow on Knee x 2 sets [stretch upper back on eccentric]

Notes: no idea how this is gonna feel tomorrow. Made the workout super focused.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:38 pm

Wednesday, August 28th

Abs very sore from yesterday, chest a bit (and feels more flexible); lats, obliques and arms a bit too.

One of my clients came in to workout and his upper body posture was as good as I could hope for. On his pulling exercises (pull-downs, rows, rear delts and external rotation) the last couple workouts we had focused on drawing the shoulder blades smoothly down and back over the course of each rep. He said his upper back has been very sore and he feels taller. I'm gonna say that that is probably what I need to focus on for those exercises.

Again, I focused on exhaling through my mouth, inhaling through my nose and on some exercises one additional cue.

BB Wide Leg Squats [7 blocks + 2x10lb plates] 185 x 10, 195 x 6, 205 x 5, 225 x 2 (open groin)
and
DB Calf Raises 25lbs x 20, 35lbs x 16, 14, 12

Leg Press 360lbs x 12, 10, 8, 8 (keep lumbar spine in place)
and
Seated Calf Raises 45lbs x 12, 12, 10, 8

Bulgarian Split-Squats [12" box] x 12 each, 10, 8, 8
and
DB Decline Bench Shin Raises 35lbs x 20, 15, 15, 12 (keep lumbar spine in place)

Slow Side Kicks x 15 each x 4 sets (contract raised leg glutes)
and
BOSU Ball Glute Bridge with Stability Ball Isometric Adduction [5 second hold] x 10 reps x 4 sets

Glute Ham Raise - Negative x 8, 6, 5, 4 (posterior pelvic tilt/contract glutes)

BB Deadlift 135lbs x 10 x 4 sets (stretch hamstrings on eccentric)

---

Meditation Class [repeat "relax" silently on the exhale] + Compassion Meditation

Meditation 10 minutes [count the inhale and exhale]

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:28 pm

Thursday, August 29th

Felt that I should have done some band terminal knee extensions yesterday instead of the anterior tibialis exercise. So, even though my legs are beat to shit:

Band TKE's - Purple x 20 each x 4 sets

Abs still very sore.