Plateau breakthrough

Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Plateau breakthrough

Post by Sangoma » Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:21 am

In my current program the first lift of the session follows 531 template. Followed by two-three smaller lifts in 10 x 3 sets format, where I try to increase the weight every session. Currently I am stuck in couple of them: can manage maybe couple of sets of ten, then fail on the 6th-7th rep.

I was thinking one of the way to get through the plateau is to drop the reps to 5 - 6 and increase the number of sets to 5 - 8. Maybe increase the weight as well. Then progressively work my way up to 10 x 3. So it would be something like 8 sets of 5, then 6 sets of 6, 5 sets of 7, 4 sets of 8 and so on.

Viable? Stupid? Are there better ways to do it?

Testiclaw

Re: Plateau breakthrough

Post by Testiclaw » Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:34 am

Or, drop the load and work back up.

Are the main lifts moving up? If so, fuck accessories, wave them by feel.
My cousin is a redheaded german-mexican, we call him a beanerschnitzel

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates » Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:41 am

Yep. Wut the testicle said. I'm rebuilding my base and I'm not fucking with accessory work since I get enough extra work from my BJJ and GS training.

1. Warm up
2. Hit main lifts
3. Cardio
4. ????
5. Profit
Southern Hospitality Is Aggressive Hospitality

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:43 am

If you've been doing the same exercises for 3-4 weeks, I'd try switching to another variation but keeping the reps similar (say 8-12).

DB Bench or DB Incline Bench or DB Decline Bench or BB Close-Grip Bench or Hammer Strength Chest Press = all are fairly similar.

If you've been doing one as an accessory, switch to another version for a few weeks.

Wendler's own suggestion is 5/3/1, plus 5 sets of 10 of the main lift, plus 5 x 10 of an accessory lift.

So squat for 3 sets of 5 (or whatever wave you're on), then squat 5 sets of 10, then add 5 sets of 10 lunges.
"Nothing is harder / on the soul / than the smell of dreams / while they are evaporating." - Mahmoud Darwish

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:34 am

Drop the accessories and see what happens.

Or pick better accessories

Or flip the rep scheme entirely.

Or rotate accessories every cycle

Or up the weight and do 5 sets of 3 and add a set every cycle.
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

SubClaw

Post by SubClaw » Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:16 am

Sangoma wrote:In my current program the first lift of the session follows 531 template. Followed by two-three smaller lifts in 10 x 3 sets format, where I try to increase the weight every session. Currently I am stuck in couple of them: can manage maybe couple of sets of ten, then fail on the 6th-7th rep.

I was thinking one of the way to get through the plateau is to drop the reps to 5 - 6 and increase the number of sets to 5 - 8. Maybe increase the weight as well. Then progressively work my way up to 10 x 3. So it would be something like 8 sets of 5, then 6 sets of 6, 5 sets of 7, 4 sets of 8 and so on.

Viable? Stupid? Are there better ways to do it?
Wendler specifically advises against being caught in the "assistance trap". As long as you are making progress in the main lifts, you don't give a shit about anything else.

And if, for some reason, certain assistance lift is important to you, promote it to main lift and follow the 5/3/1 template.

Or follow BD's advice from other thread, pick a weight and follow this progression using the same load: 8x3, 6x4, 5x5, 4x6 and 3x8. Then bump the weight a bit and start over.

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TerryB » Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:43 pm

Smet, Smet, Smet...
"Know that! & Know it deep you fucking loser!"

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma » Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:24 am

Thanks, guys. I just realized that calling these lifts "assistance" is misleading. They are mostly not related to the main lifts. For instance, TBDL is followed by weighted dips and leg raises. TBDL follows 531 and dips are done 10 x 3 sets way. I am inclined to follow BD's advice to flip the rep scheme and switch to 5 rep sets for small lifts for the next cycle.

Terry, fuck you, baby! Just in case.

Boris

Post by Boris » Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:34 am

I wouldn't call this a 'plateau'....

This is good advice.
SubClaw wrote: Wendler specifically advises against being caught in the "assistance trap". As long as you are making progress in the main lifts, you don't give a shit about anything else.
If the assistance/auxiliary work matters that much, just change the exercise order/variation from time to time, or change the set/rep/load scheme. It's not that complex. (edit: I think BD covered everything I'd probably do to vary things).