Steve Maxwell on JRE

Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

SubClaw

Re: Steve Maxwell on JRE

Post by SubClaw » Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:52 am

Protobuilder wrote:
milosz wrote:Built a thousand bridges but suck one dick...
You've never built a bridge.
And you've sucked a lot of dicks.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:08 pm

I give credit for Steve being in fine shape, and seemingly without the TRT.

Of course, he is also batshit crazy.

Exhibit 1: Attempting to and maybe succeeding in biting the finger off his first ex wife.

SubClaw

Post by SubClaw » Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:47 pm

Shafpocalypse Now wrote:I give credit for Steve being in fine shape, and seemingly without the TRT.

Of course, he is also batshit crazy.

Exhibit 1: Attempting to and maybe succeeding in biting the finger off his first ex wife.
WAT???

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:20 pm

This was from a guy who worked with him when maxercise was a nautilus place

TomFurman
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TomFurman » Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:58 pm

Rough play is rough play.
"There is only one God, and he doesn't dress like that". - - Captain America

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil » Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:51 pm

I still like the majority of his training. That is pretty crazy though.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:12 pm

This latest podcast was pretty nuts. There were some pretty goofy things that were said. I was caught in traffic and cued it up

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:11 pm

Mickey O'neil wrote:I still like the majority of his training. That is pretty crazy though.

What about it?

Be specific.

I like the IDEA of a lot of things, especially Ross's stuff, the bare bones BW training, the ground based movement things...I like the IDEA of Bikram too...I like the IDEA of Steve Justa's stuff.

It's very difficult to differentiate between what's useful and applicable versus what's a numb nuts invention of a bored homeless person. The reality is, this soup sandwich of all the stuffs cheap and available are not something most people will even try. Conversely..once you've actually tried a bunch of that shit...you realize...oh, that's just a bunch of made up shit among which are 4 things I'll actually do cause they actually work for an actual purpose....then you go off and do those 4 things, however makes sense to you.

This is why now and forever the only one of these "all rounder" motherfuckers who had a thought in his head I think is worth passing to your kids is god damn Bryce Lane.
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:46 pm

He goes on about how aerobic athletes live shorter lives
He goes on about how astrology is real
He goes on about how getting stronger never helped anyone athletically
He forgets what Barry Ross recommends for sprinters

A bunch of other stuff...like how old trainers and physical cultu rusts are the only ones you should listen to...etc

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:52 pm

Shafpocalypse Now wrote:He goes on about how aerobic athletes live shorter lives
He goes on about how astrology is real
He goes on about how getting stronger never helped anyone athletically
He forgets what Barry Ross recommends for sprinters

A bunch of other stuff...like how old trainers and physical cultu rusts are the only ones you should listen to...etc
I stand corrected.

There's a lot more shit in that Pie than I thought.

The best part of being a rationalist is watching Gurus self immolate in front of their believers.

milosz

Post by milosz » Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:43 pm

The craziest shit was his absolute belief that a hair sample kept in a different part of the country would test differently corresponding to changes in his diet/lifestyle years after being taken.

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil » Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:25 am

I like his mobility work, specifically his Daily Dozen that I do every day, and his Universal Health and Mobility download. I also like his bodyweight training workouts, specifically his Spartan 300 dvd, which I think is excellent.
Blaidd Drwg wrote:
Mickey O'neil wrote:I still like the majority of his training. That is pretty crazy though.

What about it?

Be specific.

I like the IDEA of a lot of things, especially Ross's stuff, the bare bones BW training, the ground based movement things...I like the IDEA of Bikram too...I like the IDEA of Steve Justa's stuff.

It's very difficult to differentiate between what's useful and applicable versus what's a numb nuts invention of a bored homeless person. The reality is, this soup sandwich of all the stuffs cheap and available are not something most people will even try. Conversely..once you've actually tried a bunch of that shit...you realize...oh, that's just a bunch of made up shit among which are 4 things I'll actually do cause they actually work for an actual purpose....then you go off and do those 4 things, however makes sense to you.

This is why now and forever the only one of these "all rounder" motherfuckers who had a thought in his head I think is worth passing to your kids is god damn Bryce Lane.

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil » Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:26 am

He really does sound nutty.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:10 am

Right...his phd friend Greg Ellis...who claimed a ketogenic diet cures autism among other goofy things

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:12 am

It was entertaining, though...Joe was totally calling him out on stupid shit

aussie luke
Staff Sergeant

Post by aussie luke » Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:26 am

I like that his fb is mostly pics of him standing in various corridors.

also, https://nomadlist.com/stories/fitness-c ... ly-travels

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:53 am

His astrologer told him to move to Maui, so he is

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:54 am

Mickey O'neil wrote:I like his mobility work, specifically his Daily Dozen that I do every day, and his Universal Health and Mobility download. I also like his bodyweight training workouts, specifically his Spartan 300 dvd, which I think is excellent.
You think it's excellent...do you do the programs laid out?

DikTracy6000
Sgt. Major

Post by DikTracy6000 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:20 am

Steve should try to pitch his life to a cable network as a traveling reality show: "Half Naked on the Road" Compared to the other reality shows I've seen, Steve's only about a 7 out of 10 on the crazy scale.

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil » Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:15 pm

The Universal Health and Mobility is a follow along type download so that's how I do it. With the Spartan 300 program I do do it as laid out. It has three skill levels, Beginner/Intermediate/Advanced, and is very scaleable. The exercises are very well laid out and very effective and efficient for a balanced, whole body workout. (This is actually a quote of Shaf's from his review of the dvd.) I haven't done it in a while but it may be my favorite calisthenics workout. I also like Scrapper's Mod. 1 Package a lot and Ross' 'Never Gymless' is a must have.

Btw, I don't disagree with your Bryce Lane comment. I love his stuff.
Blaidd Drwg wrote:
Mickey O'neil wrote:I like his mobility work, specifically his Daily Dozen that I do every day, and his Universal Health and Mobility download. I also like his bodyweight training workouts, specifically his Spartan 300 dvd, which I think is excellent.
You think it's excellent...do you do the programs laid out?

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:48 pm

Hit or miss with Maxwell. I do like his bodyweight 300 workout, it's a decent way to burn calories and build muscular endurance, but I haven't done it in 5+ years. Here's the disconnect between a guy like you and a guy like Mick. Mick is hanging on to what he has, wanting to look good for the random MILFs he knows, and has no real competitive outlets...he loves recreational shit. There is nothing wrong with this, he's in good health, fit, and isn't necessarily broken. He's in a sea of medium. What Maxwell (and Enamait, and Scrapper) have to offer is ways to burn energy and build some kind of fitness. BD, on the other hand, has specific things he wants to do, and he has to chase those with the correct training to reach it...Maxwell has nothing to offer you, especially since you're not a pyjama wrassler.

There are a handful of guys on this board who have met him, trained with him, or had him do their training for a while...none of them had any bad things to say about him.

Joint mobility 'morning routines' are a dime a dozen. You can make one up that suits your needs better than a generic one, if that's your cup of tea.

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil » Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:55 pm

Yeah, Shaf pretty much sums it up. The only thing I am really consumed with now is mountain biking, staying in the best possible shape for that and longevity, and, yes, looking good. Sue me. It seems like I am finally over my elbow and shoulder issues so I am planning on finally getting back to the weights in a month or so once soccer is over.

Btw, I did meet Steve at a seminar at Wake Forest University that Ethan Reeve hosted, and he seemed like a pretty nice guy. This was years ago.

I went to several of those seminars. Very good.

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:29 pm

Shaf is pretty much on the money. Take no offense, Mick, my question was legit. Of all the people I know, I'd say you are the most disciplined generalist... So I presumed you might actually do the work as laid out. I'd be surpised if it worked for you long temr...but maybe it does. Otoh I think a lot of people see stuff like Ross and Maxwell's programs and see them as idea books...akin to reading Dwell mag and then hacking out a midmod referential toolshed of questionable integrity.

And I also grok that like many of the soft gurus, SteveM, Pavel , DJ, etc are all "nice guys"...very sharp and capable in their sphere....which is why I reserve the most brutal critiques for them. Astrology? Instability training? The WTH effect? Neighbor please.... Go fuck yourself you should know better. Get that shit out of that pie.

Mick....

As an aside, the way to get better at that MTB is not contained in an ebook. It's dressing like a two-bit lycra super hero and riding a road bike. ALOT. Like triple whatever feels reasonable and then do deadlifts and practice flatland skills and learn to hit triple jumps. But then I'm all about the deep stab, not the thousand cuts approach

Kazuya Mishima
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Kazuya Mishima » Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:31 pm

I can remember when Fat Cat thought these Fitness Hunter spots where the hottest thing going. It was one of the more bizarre IGX episodes. Still don't know if he was serious, or if it was a brilliant piece of tongue-in-cheek IGX fuckery.

knuckles
Gunny

Post by knuckles » Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:34 pm

Mr Maxwell was my instructor at the RKC in 06. He was easily the coolest of all the Seniors there .The broad he runs around the globe with was his assistant. Pavel was kind of dick.The other cats all took themselves pretty seriously. I did some online training with Steve for about 2 months for weight loss and conditioning and it worked like a charm. Turned me onto some crazy Russian breathing books. Dude can be kooky , but who the fuck aint?..I like the guy.