So about that Vegas shooter . . . .

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
syaigh
Sergeant Commanding

So about that Vegas shooter . . . .

Post by syaigh »

Could have been better gun control? (Dont think it could hurt)

Could be about mental illness? Uh have to call bullshit here.

Here's the thing, true mental illness means delusions that people can't control. Very few of these people are ever violence in this kind of way with premeditated planning. There's a whole different side of mental illness that regards personality disorders or what we called borderline personality disorders. This includes Psychopaths narcissists and sociopaths. Unfortunately these aren't curable and people don't seek treatment for them. But what I think is going on with this Vegas guy, is he was a high roller Gambler he engaged in high-risk activity. This brought him Thrills. I kind of think the shooting was probably the fantasy of his lifetime and he's been planning it for a long time. Psychopaths seem to be very well controlled in the personal lives. Some people seem to pick up on the fact that the something's off about them but unless they are driven by some sort of sadistic or sexual compulsion they generally fit in with Society. We will never be able to predict these kinds of attacks.

Anyway, this is worth a listen:
Miss Piggy wrote:Never eat more than you can lift.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Re: So about that Vegas shooter . . . .

Post by nafod »

Yup, it is not against the law to be a psychopath.

Our no longer new normal. I briefed my students in class on the run/hide/fight protocol, walking them through what to do if a shooter comes in the room, explaining that for sure many would get shot, but without action likely all would get shot. They looked a little spooked.
Don’t believe everything you think.

DrDonkeyLove
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DrDonkeyLove »

I don't usually care about mass shooters or serial killers as individuals. This guy is an exception and a puzzle.

Avenging god complex of some kind? Exterminating the vermin? Look at ME!?

Makes me wish that hell or reincarnation might be true.
Mao wrote:Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party

bennyonesix
Sgt. Major

Post by bennyonesix »

nafod wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:22 am Yup, it is not against the law to be a psychopath.

Our no longer new normal. I briefed my students in class on the run/hide/fight protocol, walking them through what to do if a shooter comes in the room, explaining that for sure many would get shot, but without action likely all would get shot. They looked a little spooked.
Good job scaring those kids for no reason. Good work.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

DrDonkeyLove wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:08 am I don't usually care about mass shooters or serial killers as individuals. This guy is an exception and a puzzle.

Avenging god complex of some kind? Exterminating the vermin? Look at ME!?

Makes me wish that hell or reincarnation might be true.
From the mouths of idiots, sometimes (not you). Was watching a morning show, and the host basically said, "Not jihadist, not mental nutcase,...what is there to hate?" Like killing a bunch of people wasn't enough.

But it spoke to this urgent desire to label these guys as THEM and therefore not US. Yet, this guy screams ONE OF US. Just a guy who went off the farm at some point, and rationally and methodically followed his unusual value system.

bennyonesix
Good job scaring those kids for no reason. Good work.
If a shooter came on campus, it wouldn't even be the first active shooter with a long gun here. I remember the day well.

http://www.collegian.psu.edu/archives/a ... 02edc.html

Last time, though, the shooter had a bolt action with clips. This time, a semi with a bump stock? Ho-ly shit.

dead man walking
Sergeant Commanding

Post by dead man walking »

i'm on a serious fucking diet. you know, make myself small.
Really Big Strong Guy: There are a plethora of psychopaths among us.

Really Big Strong Guy

Post by Really Big Strong Guy »

syaigh wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:31 am Could have been better gun control? (Dont think it could hurt)

Could be about mental illness? Uh have to call bullshit here.

Here's the thing, true mental illness means delusions that people can't control. Very few of these people are ever violence in this kind of way with premeditated planning. There's a whole different side of mental illness that regards personality disorders or what we called borderline personality disorders. This includes Psychopaths narcissists and sociopaths. Unfortunately these aren't curable and people don't seek treatment for them. But what I think is going on with this Vegas guy, is he was a high roller Gambler he engaged in high-risk activity. This brought him Thrills. I kind of think the shooting was probably the fantasy of his lifetime and he's been planning it for a long time. Psychopaths seem to be very well controlled in the personal lives. Some people seem to pick up on the fact that the something's off about them but unless they are driven by some sort of sadistic or sexual compulsion they generally fit in with Society. We will never be able to predict these kinds of attacks.

Anyway, this is worth a listen:
I agree with your analysis.

There are a plethora of psychopaths among us. Some of us are likely psychopaths; but we control it. Until we don't. Empathy is a mutherfucker.

Lots of analyzing could go on with this. I have thought about it and in addition to the risk seeking behavior, add the element of going out with the proverbial bang in order to be remembered. The fact that this guy was so, for lack of a better term, not outstanding but solid in life makes the act almost attention seeking but in death. Even though he had an escape planned, anyone who rained down fire for that length of time had to already know it was an end/end proposition.

Then I turn to the youth of today and how social media had dulled "celebrity." And now I see that stuff permeating into the folk with some years on them. It's all about attention. A want to stand out. The only reason I have done it is the only way I can keep track of my kids. But once they are grown I am saying goodbye to that shit until they have kids. Thank God they are both going to be career women or I would have been stuck on that shit forever. Fucking hate it. Pains me to no end.

Whole thing in Vegas was about a coward. A fucking coward. Thrills -maybe? To be remembered - maybe? Just like terrorists. Fucking cowards. We have very honorable men/women left in our society today. And the next generation stands little chance of rearing honorable men/women because of all the pussification we've got going on in our society.

The older I get the more Seahill makes sense. Cabin in the fucking woods. Fuck everyone.

Sorry for the rant. Having rotator cuff surgery next week and I'm as anxious as a mutherfucker.
The cool thing about training is that becoming more sexy is just a side effect........

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious »

The last two shooters have been white males aged 64 and 66 (Scalise and Vegas shootings)-- neither one fit the likely shooter profile we've been fed. Very difficult to make sense of it all.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

JohnDoe
Staff Sergeant

Post by JohnDoe »

I don't always think Gladwell is honest with his pop science, but his piece on 'thresholds' was pretty interesting given the previous two shootings. The idea is that some people have a threshold of 0, which means they are psychopaths. Someone with a threshold of 1 needs to to see the psychopath doing x action (rioting, shooting) to think it's ok to engage in the same behavior. Someone with a threshold of 74 will need to see 74 other people engaging in x action in order to participate. As shootings become more routine, the national threshold rises and more normal people will begin to engage in behavior previously the domain of nutters. Interesting take on it.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015 ... f-violence

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

I've had my own kind of model for this, kind of like Gladwell's threshold, I guess. People doing dumb things is predicated on three factors

1. The strength of the message trying to get them to do it
2. How far you are pulling them off of their norms
3. Their inherent gullibility and receptiveness to messages

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma »

What's the only variable left that can be controlled and that is very closely associated with armed violence of all kind? Accessibility of guns.

tonkadtx
Staff Sergeant

Post by tonkadtx »

I doubt if most of these shooters meet the medical diagnoses for the definition of anti-social personality disorder/sociapathy/psychopathy/borderline personality disorder. The guy from Colorado might. Also the guy with the manifesto from Va Tech and the dominant of the two Columbine kids. Harris?

I do think it's interesting that so many of them were on meds with suicidal/homicidal ideation as a side effect. Does it prove anything? No. Does it bear looking in to? Yes.

bennyonesix
Sgt. Major

Post by bennyonesix »

Gladio Operation misfire

Herv100
Sgt. Major

Post by Herv100 »

FBI/CIA is getting sloppy AF

tough old man
Sergeant Commanding

Post by tough old man »

The Vegas shooter is the Oswald of our generation.
"I am the author of my own misfortune, I don't need a ghost writer" - Ian Dury

"Legio mihi nomen est, quia multi sumus."

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

tough old man wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:06 pm The Vegas shooter is the Oswald of our generation.
We need to find a way capture vice kill these guys so they can be questioned on the rack, find out what makes them tick.

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge »

YOU KNOW WHAT? FUCK YOUR OPINIONS ON THE VEGAS SHOOTER AND GUN CONTROL!! THIS IS IGX AND WE'RE GONNA GET THE HATE BACK. ALSO, ANYONE WHO COMMENTED IN THIS THREAD LIKES TO PUT SMALL PIECES OF CANDY IN THEIR ASSHOLE TO EAT LATER.

Topic author
syaigh
Sergeant Commanding

Post by syaigh »

Maybe he put it in Shape's asshole.
Miss Piggy wrote:Never eat more than you can lift.

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge »

syaigh wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:05 am
Excellent! The snark is strong with this one. It would fit probably.

Cayenne

Post by Cayenne »

Shapecharge wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:38 pm
syaigh wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:05 am
Excellent! The snark is strong with this one. It would fit probably.
Excellent! The snark is strong with this one. It fits properly.

Fixed.