Two-Arm Jerk in GS: Really Worth It?

The only place you can learns about balls.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Re: Two-Arm Jerk in GS: Really Worth It?

Post by Sangoma » Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:23 pm

JasonC wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:36 pm
Sangoma wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:46 am
Double jerk is the lift worth doing
Yep, I'm a convert to the double jerk. It just makes me feel like a fucking boss, in a way that the snatch doesn't. And the jerk is easier on my cardio: in long snatch and jerk sets at the same level of performance, my heart rate in the jerk is routinely 20 bpm lower than the snatch. Psychologically, that makes it a much "friendlier" lift to me.

The next question for my teenage-girl-like "dear diary" training angst is, what GS discipline will I choose as my New Big Goal? I'm 46, and I'm hungry to MS in something in the open division (i.e. not veterans) while I might still have a chance. The choices look like this:
  • Biathlon is cool
  • LC is easier to recover from, with its lower volume (Dunn pointed this out to me)
  • Snatch is where I have the most experience and the best form (and in the AKA they give you a snatch-only option. That makes it seem like the "smart" choice, though not the coolest.
  • Shit, now they even have "kettlebell marathons" where you do 30- or 60-minute sets with unlimited hand switches. Not quite so glamorous, but if that turns out to be more realistic for scoring an MS at my age, I'd seriously consider it.
Input welcome.
LC is an interesting one. Recovery may be easier due to lower volume. However, in my opinion it is the lift with the highest probability of injury. We can argue if snatch is more technical, but because loading is more significant errors in the clean technique will get your back screwed up very quickly. In fact, LC is the lift where you see bad technique most often, even in high level competitions.

IKSFA also allows competing in snatch only, by the way. Not a bad choice I think. My latest run with GS was snatch.

As far as MS is concerned, with age this becomes less realistic goal, unless you have a solid background in other sports. Endurance athletes in general do better in GS. But then again, being able to do any GS lift with 32 kg is a goal worthy of chasing. I think.

newguy

Post by newguy » Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:30 pm

What are the current MS numbers? What organization is determining this here?

Dunn
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Dunn » Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:19 pm

Attachments
D9142323-6166-4FD5-A777-8859E86C2DFA.jpeg
D9142323-6166-4FD5-A777-8859E86C2DFA.jpeg (310.68 KiB) Viewed 336 times

newguy

Post by newguy » Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:36 pm

There is a triathlon now? That's cool.

I was looking at the kettlebell marathon site. In addition to offering the KB marathon events, they are also offering the AKC pentathlon with rankings.

I took a look. I think I did not really appreciate how well designed the pentathlon was. Once I rebuild my endurance....I might just dabble in it.

Dunn
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Dunn » Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:04 pm

Pent and Strongsport were pretty solid ideas, in my opinion. Pent got more praise though. I think the heavier bell in Strongsport took the wind out of folks sails pretty quick.