Decided to try for PA or NP program--in the military

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Re: Decided to try for PA program--in the military

Post by Turdacious »

Dunn wrote:
DARTH wrote:Jesus Fuck? A leg tat is an issue and they want to make Sneaky Beaner Brigades?
That's what I don't get. I understand rules are rules but jeez. Scored high on the ASVAB, 4.0 GPA, already have a medical career, perfect score on the pt test, bachelors degree, and willing to shut the fuck up and do what needs to be done.....nope the tat has to go.
New regulations, probably won't be waived unless you are going into a specialty that is identified as a critical shortage (and there aren't very many of those these days). Your PT score, GPA, and experience aren't that important (unless you're talking about a critical shortage-- one identified on paper). If you decide to go the route of tattoo removal, be aware that reevaluation of your application can take a while (because military bureaucracy and paperwork) and that bonus windows change regularly.

If I were you I would start working with the other branches sooner rather than later, just as a backup. Nothing is official until make your oath and sign anyway.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

Topic author
Dunn
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Dunn »

Turdacious wrote:
Dunn wrote:
DARTH wrote:Jesus Fuck? A leg tat is an issue and they want to make Sneaky Beaner Brigades?
That's what I don't get. I understand rules are rules but jeez. Scored high on the ASVAB, 4.0 GPA, already have a medical career, perfect score on the pt test, bachelors degree, and willing to shut the fuck up and do what needs to be done.....nope the tat has to go.
New regulations, probably won't be waived unless you are going into a specialty that is identified as a critical shortage (and there aren't very many of those these days). Your PT score, GPA, and experience aren't that important (unless you're talking about a critical shortage-- one identified on paper). If you decide to go the route of tattoo removal, be aware that reevaluation of your application can take a while (because military bureaucracy and paperwork) and that bonus windows change regularly.

If I were you I would start working with the other branches sooner rather than later, just as a backup. Nothing is official until make your oath and sign anyway.
Thanks for the advice. Pretty much where I'm at now.

tough old man
Sergeant Commanding

Post by tough old man »

Even when I went in I had to get a waiver for my forearm tattoo (French Jump Wings) and got shit about it everyday. Until they put them and a row of ribbons on my dress uniform.
"I am the author of my own misfortune, I don't need a ghost writer" - Ian Dury

"Legio mihi nomen est, quia multi sumus."

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

tough old man wrote:Even when I went in I had to get a waiver for my forearm tattoo (French Jump Wings) and got shit about it everyday. Until they put them and a row of ribbons on my dress uniform.
Were you allowed to wear the French jump wings on your uniform?
Don’t believe everything you think.

tough old man
Sergeant Commanding

Post by tough old man »

Yes
"I am the author of my own misfortune, I don't need a ghost writer" - Ian Dury

"Legio mihi nomen est, quia multi sumus."

Topic author
Dunn
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Dunn »

Talking with the Air Guard and Navy Reserve right now. Things are looking up but I'm not holding my breath. Go in for my 3rd tattoo removal session tomorrow.

Topic author
Dunn
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Dunn »

Air Guard has stated the tattoos are not a problem. Met with a recruiter today and looking at the jobs available, I see that there are no officer jobs in the state for which I qualify. Currently looking at enlisted positions in Intel and also Legal.

Batboy2/75
Starship Trooper

Post by Batboy2/75 »

tough old man wrote:Yes
Yep, I have Canadian and Jordanian jump wings. The Jordanian jump wings looked pretty damn good on a set of Army Blues.
Arms are the only true badge of liberty. The possession of arms is the distinction of the free man from the slave.

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer

Post by Turdacious »

Dunn wrote:Air Guard has stated the tattoos are not a problem. Met with a recruiter today and looking at the jobs available, I see that there are no officer jobs in the state for which I qualify. Currently looking at enlisted positions in Intel and also Legal.
Are you looking to stay in GA? Not a lot of civilian equivalent jobs that pay well in your neck of the woods.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

Topic author
Dunn
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Dunn »

Turdacious wrote:
Dunn wrote:Air Guard has stated the tattoos are not a problem. Met with a recruiter today and looking at the jobs available, I see that there are no officer jobs in the state for which I qualify. Currently looking at enlisted positions in Intel and also Legal.
Are you looking to stay in GA? Not a lot of civilian equivalent jobs that pay well in your neck of the woods.
Actually no. Plan is to still get in and eventually apply to IPAP, the Military PA program, and move.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now »

Move to Houston. The area is booming, there are fucktons of jobs for damn near anything.

Topic author
Dunn
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Dunn »

Shafpocalypse Now wrote:Move to Houston. The area is booming, there are fucktons of jobs for damn near anything.
If things go according to plan, I will actually be in San Antonio for basic and then depending on my job possibly at Goodfellow AFB for AIT. Of course that will all be training and then back home for real world stuffs. Still, the goal is IPAP and that will require a move to TX for school eventually.

Polo Tomasi
Sarge

Post by Polo Tomasi »

I finally got some news about the guy who is in the military PA program. He's in the AF, stationed in San Antonio. Should be starting his second year about now. I'm not sure how he swung it, but he's getting paid by CFD, but on administrative leave, paid by AF, and getting an education for free. Talk about jackpot. He'll do some time in the reserves but keep his FD job.
I couldn't get any more info, but that sums it up. Sorry for the delay.
I never saw any tats on the guy.

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates »

Dunn wrote:
Shafpocalypse Now wrote:Move to Houston. The area is booming, there are fucktons of jobs for damn near anything.
If things go according to plan, I will actually be in San Antonio for basic and then depending on my job possibly at Goodfellow AFB for AIT. Of course that will all be training and then back home for real world stuffs. Still, the goal is IPAP and that will require a move to TX for school eventually.
If you go to Goodfellas let me know I've got a buddy who is some kind of instructor out there.
Southern Hospitality Is Aggressive Hospitality

Topic author
Dunn
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Dunn »

As stated there are no officer spots available at the nearest ANG base with whom I am speaking with. I live in an odd place in that I am within 3 hrs away from multiple ANG bases, one or two of which have officer openings, but they are actually out of state. I have read that as long as you are able to make drill, most times they do not care if you are out of state. I am going to take a long shot and contact the recruiter for those spots and see what comes of it. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Topic author
Dunn
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Dunn »

So I joined the Air National Guard. Enlisted but they are paying a shit ton of my student debt off, so meh. If I get into the IPAP program it's an automatic bump to 1Lt pay while I'm in school. If that doesn't happen there is always nursing school. Regardless, I'm in a better spot than I am now.

I've been going to drill and doing some OTJ training with my shop so far, but now I have a ship out date.... Dec 2nd. After that it's 10 months away from home. Fun times. I will post my basic address so you can send me dirty pics and underwear.

In seriousness, thanks for all the advice here and in private. Much appreciated.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

Dunn wrote:So I joined the Air National Guard. Enlisted but they are paying a shit ton of my student debt off, so meh. If I get into the IPAP program it's an automatic bump to 1Lt pay while I'm in school. If that doesn't happen there is always nursing school. Regardless, I'm in a better spot than I am now.

I've been going to drill and doing some OTJ training with my shop so far, but now I have a ship out date.... Dec 2nd. After that it's 10 months away from home. Fun times. I will post my basic address so you can send me dirty pics and underwear.

In seriousness, thanks for all the advice here and in private. Much appreciated.
Cool!
Don’t believe everything you think.

tonkadtx
Staff Sergeant

Post by tonkadtx »

So I joined the Air National Guard. Enlisted but they are paying a shit ton of my student debt off, so meh. If I get into the IPAP program it's an automatic bump to 1Lt pay while I'm in school. If that doesn't happen there is always nursing school.
Look into the full boat for Nurse Practitioner if you end up going to nursing school. Compare the PA license to the NP license in the state you are going to be living in as well. I am back in nursing school after 14 years in the Corporate world. I compared PA school and Nursing with a path to NP and all my friends and family in healthcare told me to go NP because you can do virtually the same work, but NPs are allowed to work under their own license in NY.

Good luck!

DrDonkeyLove
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DrDonkeyLove »

I see good things for yourself and the people you help.

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer

Post by Turdacious »

The military NP and PA programs change regularly-- you aren't facing the time in service restrictions that will limit you. Keep your eyes open and your head up.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

Dunn wrote:So I joined the Air National Guard. Enlisted but they are paying a shit ton of my student debt off, so meh. If I get into the IPAP program it's an automatic bump to 1Lt pay while I'm in school. If that doesn't happen there is always nursing school. Regardless, I'm in a better spot than I am now.

Don't go gay!
"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen

Andy83
Sgt. Major

Post by Andy83 »

BTW Dunn, How is that tat removal working? Does it leave evidence?
Obama's narcissism and arrogance is only superseded by his naivete and stupidity.

Topic author
Dunn
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Dunn »

Andy81 wrote:BTW Dunn, How is that tat removal working? Does it leave evidence?
4 sessions and it looks like I may have some slight discoloration under my wedding band. Not noticeable at all unless you know what you are looking for. Highly recommend checking out groupon for deals since the shit is expensive.

TomFurman
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TomFurman »

Congratulations. I wonder if access to 'bells after a period will allow a continuation of your GS career.
"There is only one God, and he doesn't dress like that". - - Captain America

Andy83
Sgt. Major

Post by Andy83 »

Dunn wrote:
Andy81 wrote:BTW Dunn, How is that tat removal working? Does it leave evidence?
4 sessions and it looks like I may have some slight discoloration under my wedding band. Not noticeable at all unless you know what you are looking for. Highly recommend checking out groupon for deals since the shit is expensive.
I have a do it yourself at home to do it. $10
Obama's narcissism and arrogance is only superseded by his naivete and stupidity.