IronGarm

IGX "...overflowing with foulmouthed ignorance."
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:59 am

<

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:31 am 
Sarge

Updates on what I'm actually doing, for anyone that cares.

I built up an elaborate program and wound up complying with about two thirds of it - always the first part of the week. Which actually seems to be working pretty well so I'm going to pretend that was my intention all along.

Monday is squats working up to a triple (leaving a fair bit in the tank), some single leg stuff and some miscellaneous lower body stuff (leg curls and calf raises). Well aware of the hate for leg curls but this seems to mirror a movement that jitz guys do all the time so the functional gurus can fuck themselves. All assistance work is 1-2 sets of 6-12 and moderate intensity; I don't see the harm in spending 5 minutes working through a few different movements.

Weds is bench and chins with some narrow grip bench and pullups thrown it at the end of those.

The *theory* was that Friday was deadlifts, SLDL, overhead work and bent rows. This has been a fiasco due to scheduling and the near-permanent state of low-level finger injury that doing jitz in the gi seems to provide. We rotated through a couple weeks of spider and lasso guard which hasn't helped.

I'm liking the 5/3/1 rep scheme in theory but it seems too gradual and involve too little volume at this stage. Something like 531 will probably be necessary once I move back into intermediate territory.

I'm still getting beginner gainz at the moment after a long layoff so my unimpressive numbers are moving quickly. My bodyweight is now smacking up against the top edge of the 97kg weight class with a slight bf% reduction so any further hypertrophy has to be 1:1 with fat loss. I would like to make things a continuous process rather than doing the 'bulking/cutting' cycle as in my experience the bulking cycle seems to lead to Fatfuckistan and stay there.

All up it seems to be working in terms of better numbers and feeling better when sparring.

Next stops: rescuing Friday from schedule chaos, doing some heavy core work, grip/hands/forearms. The latter will mainly be extensors and injury prevention.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:16 pm 
Corporal

maybe try this:

1. warmup
2a. chins
superset
3a. dbl kb oh press/clean and press
4. dbl kb fr squat
5. dbl kb farmers walk
6. barbell deadlift
7. cooldown/yoga

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:47 pm 
Staff Sergeant

That's great Onan. Keep doing what your doing if it's working. One thing that I like about a two day a week program, or the self repeating cycles like have been presented in the begging of this thread, is that if you miss a day because you are worn out from class or schedule or whatever, you just pick up where you left off the next day.

Also, as far as the finger thing goes, learn to grip properly, we have discussed this a number of times:

http://irongarmx.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.p ... ip#p809591

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:37 am 
Sgt. Major

Sounds good.

You mentioned extensor training for grip stuff. I liked levering with some light barbells which I found in the aerobics room at my gym (10-15lbs) for 1-2 sets front and back and some towel chins when I was training BJJ.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:06 am 
Sarge

"Levering"? Like a kind of twist or side-to-side stuff at the wrist? I think Hatfield called this "Thor's Hammer" if we're thinking the same thing. I have a length of metal bar in my garage marked off with 'distance off center' for doing this sort of thing and I like it - rotation and side-to-side stuff (don't know the proper words - probably pronation/supination/?/?).

We had AJ Agazarm through our gym for a seminar a while back and he said he did zero supplementary training aside from forearm work and agility training. Of course, people at that level have the opportunity to train all the time - but the takeaway was that if someone who doesn't do any other weights works forearms, it's worth thinking about seriously. I competed last Saturday (and a few weeks before that) and forearm fatigue really started to show up wrasslin' the youngsters.

I'm looking at finger extensors for grip as even with a conscious effort to relax grip and grip properly, my fingers are fried 90% of the time. A mix of gripping and the occasional accidental impact/twist/whatever here and there (I'm usually running 2-3 'dings' of some kind in my hands these days on a rotating basis). Adding hard grip work like towel chins seems to put me over the top into 'claw hands' territory. Extensor work just makes my hands feel better, that's all.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:59 pm 
Sgt. Major

For levering, I'd do this:

and this:

Here's a cool tip from Joe Defranco that might be helpful (I've never tried it myself though):

Q: Hey Joe,

I train jiu-jitsu 3X per week and I box 2X per week. Although strength training is not my focus right now I’m still trying to get to the gym 2X per week to maintain my strength and stay injury free. The one thing I want to improve upon is my grip strength. But the problem is that my hands, especially my fingers, are so darn beat up from grabbing the gi & punching that I feel like any extra grip training may backfire on me.

Any suggestions for strengthening my fingers/grip without making them even more beat up? Or am I getting enough work with my other activities?

I appreciate your time.
Jon

A: Jon,

If you would have asked me this question 2 weeks earlier, I would have just told you to lay off the grip work while you’re focusing on your jiu-jitsu & boxing. But, after discussing this topic with my good friend & client, N.Y. Giants O-lineman Dave Diehl, I have a different answer. You see, although Dave hired me to train HIM, I constantly pick his brain because he is a very intelligent athlete that is extremely in tune with his body. He has been a tremendous asset to me because he gives me feedback that one can only get from actually playing a professional sport.

Anyway, one of the hardest things for an NFL lineman to do is to keep his hands and fingers healthy throughout the season. Throughout this past season, Dave swore to me that one of the main reasons he was able to keep his hands and fingers healthy “in the trenches” was because he started performing rice digs throughout the season. Now when Dave talks, I listen. Dave has started 65 straight games for the N.Y. Giants…that’s every single game since Week 1 of his rookie year! Needless to say, Dave knows how to take care of his body.

Anyway, although Dave knows I respect his opinion, he also knows that I like to try things out for myself before I give it my full endorsement. Well, 2 weeks ago Dave was nice enough to donate a 6 lb. tub of rice to my facility so we can start incorporating “rice digs” with our athletes. And I must say that the “rice digs” do exactly what Dave claimed they did; they strengthen your hands, fingers & forearms without causing a tremendous amount of trauma or soreness. In fact, they can actually help alleviate soreness from grabbing, punching, etc. This makes for a great in-season exercise because it helps maintain strength while NOT making you too sore. Basically, rice digs do for your hands & fingers what light sled dragging does for your legs after a heavy leg workout.

Rice digs are pretty simple. Basically, all you need to do is fill some kind of bucket with (uncooked) rice. Once you get it set up all you do is dig your hands into the rice and start squeezing. You can increase the intensity by twisting your wrists both clockwise and counter-clockwise as you squeeze. This is best done for timed sets or until failure at the end of your workout.

I HIGHLY recommend this exercise to wrestlers, mixed martial artists, boxers, baseball players and football players!

Joe D.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:59 am 
Gunny

Quote:
Dave swore to me that one of the main reasons he was able to keep his hands and fingers healthy “in the trenches” was because he started performing rice digs throughout the season.

the “rice digs” do exactly what Dave claimed they did; they strengthen your hands, fingers & forearms without causing a tremendous amount of trauma or soreness. In fact, they can actually help alleviate soreness from grabbing, punching, etc.

Rice digs are pretty simple. Basically, all you need to do is fill some kind of bucket with (uncooked) rice. Once you get it set up all you do is dig your hands into the rice and start squeezing. You can increase the intensity by twisting your wrists both clockwise and counter-clockwise as you squeeze. This is best done for timed sets or until failure at the end of your workout.

I HIGHLY recommend this exercise to wrestlers, mixed martial artists, boxers, baseball players and football players!
Hall of Fame pitcher Steve Carlton used exercises like these. I've read both "bucket of sand" and "bucket of rice", so I don't know which substance he preferred - maybe they each have advantages? I think he did it as rehab directly after pitching a game.

The exercise makes a lot of sense if you think of it as prehab/rehab. There's a zillion different muscles in the hand: get em all moving, against pretty light but constant resistance in every direction, get some blood flowing and get a good ROM. Of course it would help restore some life to an overused overstressed hand, barring an actual injury or arthritis or something.

What I really want to see is testimony from piano players.