RIP Gene Wilder

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
vern

RIP Gene Wilder

Post by vern »

I remember seeing Young Frankenstein and Blazing Saddles in the theatre as a kid in the 70's. I've never heard laughing and screaming as loud as that at the movies before or since.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UDnTJcjPhY[/youtube]
“Wherever the crowd goes, run the other direction. They’re always wrong.” Bukowski

DikTracy6000
Sgt. Major

Re: RIP Gene Wilder

Post by DikTracy6000 »

vern wrote:I remember seeing Young Frankenstein and Blazing Saddles in the theatre as a kid in the 70's. I've never heard laughing and screaming as loud as that at the movies before or since.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UDnTJcjPhY[/youtube]
RIP Gene. I remember the line for Blazing Saddles stretching halfway down our little mall at one of the crappy bandbox mall theaters. We didn't get in, but they sold us tickets to a later showing.

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious »

Gene Wilder, who established himself as one of America’s foremost comic actors with his delightfully neurotic performances in three films directed by Mel Brooks; his eccentric star turn in the family classic “Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory”; and his winning chemistry with Richard Pryor in the box-office smash “Stir Crazy,” died early Monday morning at his home in Stamford, Conn. He was 83.

A nephew, the filmmaker Jordan Walker-Pearlman, confirmed his death in a statement, saying the cause was complications of Alzheimer’s disease. Mr. Wilder’s rule for comedy was simple: Don’t try to make it funny; try to make it real. “I’m an actor, not a clown,” he said more than once.

With his haunted blue eyes and an empathy born of his own history of psychic distress, he aspired to touch audiences much as Charlie Chaplin had. The Chaplin film “City Lights,” he said, had “made the biggest impression on me as an actor; it was funny, then sad, then both at the same time.”
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/30/movie ... .html?_r=0
Great writeup and worth a read. I liked Willy Wonka more as an adult than as a kid, mostly because of Wilder. No idea that he struggled with mental problems. He lived one hell of a life. RIP.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

dkay
Sarge

Post by dkay »

Blazing Saddles and Young Frankenstein are also cornerstones of my 70s childhood. Me and a couple of friends were huge fans of those movies when we were about 10 years old - we can still do verbatim renditions of every scene, which will get us laughing until we are crying. Hats off to Gene.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

Holy shit, funniest movie ever. Young Frankenstein is one of those rare movies I can watch over and over, and it gets better each time. Cannot imagine anyone else in that role.

Don’t believe everything you think.

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno »

Young Frankenstein is one of my favorite comedies. RIP, Gene.
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

W.B. Yeats