Biden's America: How Hard Will They Chimp?

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

User avatar

baffled
Sergeant Commanding
Posts: 8882
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:56 pm

Re: Biden's America: How Hard Will They Chimp?

Post by baffled »

So apparently Juror #52 was photographed last year with a BLM hat and a George Floyd t-shirt, and has a podcast talking about related issues? When asked by the judge, he said that he knew some basic facts, dates etc, but nothing that would make it difficult or impossible to serve as an impartial juror.

Here's the thing: Chauvin was going to go away for years, but then activists started doing what modern day activists do. Maxine Waters started spouting off like she does, and the judge noted that while he'd allow the trial and deliberations to continue, he suspected an appeals process would be far more kind to Chauvin than the State.

And now this guy. I don't know enough about perjury, but it seems just a little sketchy.

There was almost no chance Chauvin was going to escape conviction on all charges. He was going to spend some very dangerous years in prison, but now who knows what'll happen? And this time, if he ends up winning on appeal, it'll be because of the people who demanded justice most and not for any existing racism within the system.
"Gentle in what you do, Firm in how you do it"
- Buck Brannaman

User avatar

Topic author
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®
Posts: 40983
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:54 pm
Location: 悪を根付かせるな

Re: Biden's America: How Hard Will They Chimp?

Post by Fat Cat »

If equitable treatment under the law was still a thing (hint: it's not) there would be strong support for a mistrial. That said, I do not believe that will happen in this politically charged climate.
Image
"That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy.
It is our job to see that it stays there." - George Orwell

User avatar

baffled
Sergeant Commanding
Posts: 8882
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:56 pm

Re: Biden's America: How Hard Will They Chimp?

Post by baffled »

If I was a betting man, I would agree.

This requires the mainstream media to pick this up and highlight the concerns that should be present, but I doubt they will. I haven't see much mention of it so far, but I also just took a quick look around when I saw the story start to circulate a bit.
"Gentle in what you do, Firm in how you do it"
- Buck Brannaman

User avatar

nafod
Lifetime IGer
Posts: 12781
Joined: Sat Apr 22, 2006 5:01 pm
Location: Looking in your window

Re: Biden's America: How Hard Will They Chimp?

Post by nafod »

baffled wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 5:04 am If I was a betting man, I would agree.

This requires the mainstream media to pick this up
What is FOX doing with it? Number 1 news network?
Don’t believe everything you think.

User avatar

baffled
Sergeant Commanding
Posts: 8882
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:56 pm

Re: Biden's America: How Hard Will They Chimp?

Post by baffled »

How much of the population watches Fox and what do those who watch NBC, MSNBC, CNN etc think of them when they mention where they heard the story?
"Gentle in what you do, Firm in how you do it"
- Buck Brannaman

User avatar

Topic author
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®
Posts: 40983
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:54 pm
Location: 悪を根付かせるな

Re: Biden's America: How Hard Will They Chimp?

Post by Fat Cat »

nafod wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 12:26 pm
baffled wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 5:04 am If I was a betting man, I would agree.

This requires the mainstream media to pick this up
What is FOX doing with it? Number 1 news network?
Are they? I wouldn't know. For kicks I just went there and the only evidence I found was a video clip on a side bar. But more broadly, I think your reaction is telling. Most Americans do not want a fair trial, they want a satisfying conclusion to the narrative they believe occurred. And, I would allow, with some good reason given that this was a situation that people could actually watch go down. Perhaps that's what real justice is.
Image
"That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy.
It is our job to see that it stays there." - George Orwell

User avatar

nafod
Lifetime IGer
Posts: 12781
Joined: Sat Apr 22, 2006 5:01 pm
Location: Looking in your window

Re: Biden's America: How Hard Will They Chimp?

Post by nafod »

Fat Cat wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 5:55 pm
nafod wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 12:26 pm
baffled wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 5:04 am If I was a betting man, I would agree.

This requires the mainstream media to pick this up
What is FOX doing with it? Number 1 news network?
But more broadly, I think your reaction is telling.
Fox News is the number 1 news network. They are main stream. So the claims that main stream isn't covering it is telling... Whining about how the mean liberals won't report in it. Always the poor victim.

Fox can investigate it too
Don’t believe everything you think.

User avatar

Topic author
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®
Posts: 40983
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:54 pm
Location: 悪を根付かせるな

Re: Biden's America: How Hard Will They Chimp?

Post by Fat Cat »

nafod wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 6:10 pm
Fat Cat wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 5:55 pm
nafod wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 12:26 pm
baffled wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 5:04 am If I was a betting man, I would agree.

This requires the mainstream media to pick this up
What is FOX doing with it? Number 1 news network?
But more broadly, I think your reaction is telling.
Fox News is the number 1 news network. They are main stream. So the claims that main stream isn't covering it is telling... Whining about how the mean liberals won't report in it. Always the poor victim.

Fox can investigate it too
Translation: partisan loyalty is more important than the truth or justice. Strange take.
Image
"That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy.
It is our job to see that it stays there." - George Orwell

User avatar

baffled
Sergeant Commanding
Posts: 8882
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:56 pm

Re: Biden's America: How Hard Will They Chimp?

Post by baffled »

nafod wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 6:10 pm
Fat Cat wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 5:55 pm
nafod wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 12:26 pm
baffled wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 5:04 am If I was a betting man, I would agree.

This requires the mainstream media to pick this up
What is FOX doing with it? Number 1 news network?
But more broadly, I think your reaction is telling.
Fox News is the number 1 news network. They are main stream. So the claims that main stream isn't covering it is telling... Whining about how the mean liberals won't report in it. Always the poor victim.

Fox can investigate it too
In the short bit I poked around yesterday, I hadn't seen much on it. It looks like there are some "explainers" and other articles now, but I haven't had a chance to read them. When I looked Fox didn't have anything that was easy to find, so maybe it was early.

For what it's worth, I'm not on Chauvin's side, but have concerns with some of the circumstances of the trial, and would rather see him convicted without the nonsense that we see here.

To me, that's the only story here. Chauvin was/is likely to be found guilty of at least one serious crime, but having a loudmouthed congresswoman and a juror that appeared to lie his way onto the jury isn't going to help.

The point really is that people on all sides need to call that out. Chauvin was extremely unlikely to get an appeal or retrial granted, and now we're at least kinda likely to see this thing played out a second time.
"Gentle in what you do, Firm in how you do it"
- Buck Brannaman

User avatar

nafod
Lifetime IGer
Posts: 12781
Joined: Sat Apr 22, 2006 5:01 pm
Location: Looking in your window

Re: Biden's America: How Hard Will They Chimp?

Post by nafod »

I'm with you that some STFU would have been useful here. Let the system do it's job. Maxine is an embarrassment.

Back to the media. Why didn't Fox have it's own analog to 60 Minutes or 20/20 news shows?

I think it's because they're not really a news organization.
Don’t believe everything you think.

User avatar

baffled
Sergeant Commanding
Posts: 8882
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:56 pm

Re: Biden's America: How Hard Will They Chimp?

Post by baffled »

nafod wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 1:31 am I'm with you that some STFU would have been useful here. Let the system do it's job. Maxine is an embarrassment.

Back to the media. Why didn't Fox have it's own analog to 60 Minutes or 20/20 news shows?

I think it's because they're not really a news organization.
Fox's news side isn't any better or worse than the other news programming on other networks.

Their opinion shows are the mirror opposite of MSNBC. All garbage.
"Gentle in what you do, Firm in how you do it"
- Buck Brannaman

User avatar

Topic author
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®
Posts: 40983
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:54 pm
Location: 悪を根付かせるな

Re: Biden's America: How Hard Will They Chimp?

Post by Fat Cat »

baffled wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 5:28 am
nafod wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 1:31 am I'm with you that some STFU would have been useful here. Let the system do it's job. Maxine is an embarrassment.

Back to the media. Why didn't Fox have it's own analog to 60 Minutes or 20/20 news shows?

I think it's because they're not really a news organization.
Fox's news side isn't any better or worse than the other news programming on other networks.

Their opinion shows are the mirror opposite of MSNBC. All garbage.
That's the unbelievable thing from leftoids of the current era. They will throw shade all over Fox and their viewers without an ounce of self awareness as they inject that obnoxious dyke Maddow's nonsense directly into their veins. Conservatives and liberals are both useful idiots for the ruling class that regards them all with equal opprobrium. It's all fake as rubber dogshit.
Image
"That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy.
It is our job to see that it stays there." - George Orwell

User avatar

baffled
Sergeant Commanding
Posts: 8882
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:56 pm

Re: Biden's America: How Hard Will They Chimp?

Post by baffled »

Fat Cat wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 5:16 pm
baffled wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 5:28 am
nafod wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 1:31 am I'm with you that some STFU would have been useful here. Let the system do it's job. Maxine is an embarrassment.

Back to the media. Why didn't Fox have it's own analog to 60 Minutes or 20/20 news shows?

I think it's because they're not really a news organization.
Fox's news side isn't any better or worse than the other news programming on other networks.

Their opinion shows are the mirror opposite of MSNBC. All garbage.
That's the unbelievable thing from leftoids of the current era. They will throw shade all over Fox and their viewers without an ounce of self awareness as they inject that obnoxious dyke Maddow's nonsense directly into their veins. Conservatives and liberals are both useful idiots for the ruling class that regards them all with equal opprobrium. It's all fake as rubber dogshit.
Agreed. My uncle is an old school radical lefty, unless he's trying to save on his taxes, who will shit all over Fox while he listens to Joy Reid talking about being fully vaccinated but still going for a run wearing two masks.

I think it's important for people to get as broad of a view of a news story as possible. I have my own biases, like anyone, but I actually do try to take a look across the available sources from Fox to ABC, MSNBC, Slate, Daily Beast, Reason, or whatever.
"Gentle in what you do, Firm in how you do it"
- Buck Brannaman

User avatar

Topic author
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®
Posts: 40983
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:54 pm
Location: 悪を根付かせるな

Re: Biden's America: How Hard Will They Chimp?

Post by Fat Cat »

^^^Agreed. My main news sources are Reuters (although they just went paywall), AP news, BBC News, Al Jazeera, and I will scan the headlines of the NYT. Places I rarely or never get news from include CBS, ABC, NBC, MSNBC, and Fox News. That said, they are ALL hugely biased, and none of them are trustworthy in the ways proper journalism used to be defined.
Image
"That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy.
It is our job to see that it stays there." - George Orwell

Post Reply