Right now I'm reading

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Right now I'm reading

Post by Bram »

The English version is available on Kindle, but I think the Japanese version comes up first. If you don't click the Japanese version and scroll down you should be able to find it.
“With malice towards none, with charity for all.” — Abraham Lincoln

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Right now I'm reading

Post by Bram »

All The Wrong Moves: A Memoir About Chess, Love, And Ruining Everything by Sasha Chapin.

Sasha is a good writer, admittedly bipolar, and someone adrift—searching for meaning and self-worth.

After a bout of competitive high school chess, he falls back under it’s spell in his late twenties—entering a slew of tournaments, hiring a Grandmaster coach, bingeing matches on Chess.com

Sometimes you encounter people on their path and shake your head. That’s how I felt reading this book. He’s obsessed with winning and certain that his (and all of our) talents are fixed. He does improve, and wins a bit, but his journey is largely joyless. But, I know plenty of people who approach their life this way. Perhaps they would relate to his experiences more?

That said, my favorite parts are just his little observations of life, such as:

I went down the street to the café where everyone hated me. Why they did, I’m not sure—I was always polite and I tipped generously. But their contempt was palpable. Every time I bought their coffee, I was given a cold, flat stare, which I returned. We were all clear on who liked each other. Nobody liked anybody.

4.2/5
“With malice towards none, with charity for all.” — Abraham Lincoln