The Riddle of BBQ Sauce

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

The Riddle of BBQ Sauce

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

JMO but if making sauces for ribs, do a KC-style one and a thicker Carolina one so you can try both.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

Topic author
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

The Riddle of BBQ Sauce

Post by Fat Cat »

Grandpa's Spells wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:29 pm JMO but if making sauces for ribs, do a KC-style one and a thicker Carolina one so you can try both.
I'm going to make the Aaron Franklin one this weekend from Franklin Barbecue and the one syaigh posted the following weekend. Where is she btw?

I kind of got a taste for the thinner Texas style sauce I had in Austin, so I'm looking to try to make a home version like that.
"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen

Topic author
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

The Riddle of BBQ Sauce

Post by Fat Cat »

OK, I made spareribs this past weekend. I followed Aaron Franklin's recipe in Franklin Barbecue which is basically:

1. Trim, then rub w/2:1 pepper and salt, with a little paprika and onion powder tossed in, then rest.

2. Place directly on grill at 275 F for three hours; cherry wood was the fuel. Give a little spritz on the hour, and a water cup next to the ribs right on the gril to keep things moist in the smoker.

3. Apply sauce and let set for 15 minutes on each side.

4. Wrap in foil and return to smoker; begin checking after 2 hours.

...I followed it pretty much to the letter. The good was that the flavors were excellent; the smoke flavor was strong and pleasant, seasonings were just right, not much to complain about. The bad was that the ribs were falling-off-the-bone overcooked, as opposed to toothsome. I plan to do this again, but I would smoke for 2.5 hours, use the next half an hour for setting the sauce, then wrap and cook for only one additional hour. I think something about like that would nail it.

The other funny thing is that I really can't eat much, ribs are too rich for my taste, but I sent plates to my neighbors and they were all raving about it, more than necessary to be polite.

This is the sauce recipe I used, also from Franklin Barbecue, which he just called "regular sauce" but which is quick to whip up and far more vineagary than sweeter Kansas City style ones I had had before: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/afregularbbqsauce.htm
"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

The Riddle of BBQ Sauce

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

Hey, very cool. I think with ribs generally it's helpful to check a little early. The reality with ribs is there is wide variation in bones per pound and starting to check early for doneness early.

Normals think fall of the bone is ideal, and it's vastly better than underdone, so as a first effort I'd be very pleased.

If you find it consistently finishing early, you may want to pop a temperature probe in the smoker to confirm your thermometer isn't miscalibrated. That's not rare and it seems like these did finish kind of fast.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

Topic author
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

The Riddle of BBQ Sauce

Post by Fat Cat »

Grandpa's Spells wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 4:30 pm If you find it consistently finishing early, you may want to pop a temperature probe in the smoker to confirm your thermometer isn't miscalibrated.
That's a very good idea.