Beer!!!

Tell us if you found a gem or a piece of shit, and who peddled it

Moderator: Dux

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Re: Beer!!!

Post by Shafpocalypse Now »

Magic Hat has never failed to let me down. As someone noted somewhere else, it seems to be a company that puts more money and effort into their beer labels than their beer.

Alfred_E._Neuman
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Alfred_E._Neuman »

Shafpocalypse Now wrote:Magic Hat has never failed to let me down. As someone noted somewhere else, it seems to be a company that puts more money and effort into their beer labels than their beer.
I feel the same about New Belgium. All I ever heard was how good their stuff was and what a magic elixir Fat Tire Ale was. When I moved out west and could get it, I was sorely disappointed.
I don't have a lot of experience with vampires, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once, but by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbor's dog.

DikTracy6000
Sgt. Major

Post by DikTracy6000 »

Alfred_E._Neuman wrote:The Dogfish Head 60 is weak sauce. If you can get the 120 then you've got yourself a fine American IPA.
I''m right in the middle here with DFH 90 minute being a favorite IPA. If anyone ever visits Jeek-land, Lancaster Brewing does a great job with Hop Hog(IPA).

The Venerable Bogatir X
Supreme Martian Overlord

Post by The Venerable Bogatir X »

Alfred_E._Neuman wrote:
Shafpocalypse Now wrote:Magic Hat has never failed to let me down. As someone noted somewhere else, it seems to be a company that puts more money and effort into their beer labels than their beer.
I feel the same about New Belgium. All I ever heard was how good their stuff was and what a magic elixir Fat Tire Ale was. When I moved out west and could get it, I was sorely disappointed.
Amen.

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil »

Fat Tire is alright but I like their 1554 better. JMO.

Dunn
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Dunn »

Fat Tire is good stuff. Right now I am digging on Sweetwater 420.

If you like IPA's here is a great one.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

I was underwhelmed by Fat Tire too.

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious »

Mojo is a much better colorado brewery IMO.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

Alfred_E._Neuman
Sergeant Commanding

I think Great Divide is far and away the best brewery in Colorado. Their Yeti Imperial Stout is damn near the best stout/porter I've ever had. And if you can find the oak aged Yeti, you'll also probably find me attached to the tap. It's a solid 10 on the Budweiser scale (number of Clydesdales it would take to pull be away from that beer).

Had their oak aged 16th Anniversary Double IPA this weekend and it's in my top 5 IPA's right off the bat.
I don't have a lot of experience with vampires, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once, but by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbor's dog.

The Venerable Bogatir X
Supreme Martian Overlord

Dunn wrote:Fat Tire is good stuff. Right now I am digging on Sweetwater 420.

If you like IPA's here is a great one.

To each their own and whatnot, but Fat Tire, like the Dallas Cowboys, is overrated junk. Ranger IPA is absolutely underwhelming to say the least.

DrDonkeyLove
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DrDonkeyLove »

An IPA that is well reviewed by many including myself
Mao wrote:Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious »

U SHUD ALL DRINK MEAD, ITZ MADE WITH HUNNY :axe: :axe: :axe: :axe: :axe: :axe:
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

Topic author
Batboy2/75
Starship Trooper

Post by Batboy2/75 »

Getting ready for the holidays, so the IPAs need to take a back seat until the next Spring:

My brothers and I brewed up a batch of Ale back in September we're saving for the Christmas and New Year holidays celebrations. I also plan on consuming a bunch of Salvator Double Bock.

However, for Christmas morning I'll be drinking baileys and coffee. Nothing better then Baileys and coffee to wake your ass up after attending Midnight Latin Mass and prepare you for the chaos of opening presents.
Arms are the only true badge of liberty. The possession of arms is the distinction of the free man from the slave.

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno »

High Velocity Lie-Nap! wrote: Ranger IPA is absolutely underwhelming to say the least.
IMO, Ranger IPA doesn't live up to its name. Now, if it was called "First Batt Ranger IPA," the name would make sense...sort of a weaker version of the Real Deal.

Alfred_E._Neuman
Sergeant Commanding

I know it's not as high brow as some of the stuff in this thread, but I look forward to the Sam Adams Winter Classics mix pack every year. It's got some great brews for cold nights that you can't get any other way. The Old Fezziwig Ale is one of my all time favorite beers and the only way to get it is 2 at a time in this 12 pack. The Holiday Porter and Winter Lager are also top notch.

This year they replaced the Cranberry Lambic with Chocolate Bock. so that's a bonus.

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates »

Alfred_E._Neuman wrote:I know it's not as high brow as some of the stuff in this thread, but I look forward to the Sam Adams Winter Classics mix pack every year. It's got some great brews for cold nights that you can't get any other way. The Old Fezziwig Ale is one of my all time favorite beers and the only way to get it is 2 at a time in this 12 pack. The Holiday Porter and Winter Lager are also top notch.

This year they replaced the Cranberry Lambic with Chocolate Bock. so that's a bonus.
I look forward to the Winter mix every year.
Southern Hospitality Is Aggressive Hospitality

beefheart
Sergeant Commanding

Post by beefheart »

Ed Zachary wrote:
Alfred_E._Neuman wrote:I know it's not as high brow as some of the stuff in this thread, but I look forward to the Sam Adams Winter Classics mix pack every year. It's got some great brews for cold nights that you can't get any other way. The Old Fezziwig Ale is one of my all time favorite beers and the only way to get it is 2 at a time in this 12 pack. The Holiday Porter and Winter Lager are also top notch.

I'll go so far as to say that Coastal Wheat is the only bad Sam Adams product I've ever had. I 'm sure I now have no credibility w/ the beer snobs.
ab g-d wrote:I can't understand how, given the training they did, the cavemen beat the dinosaurs.

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates »

beefheart wrote:
Ed Zachary wrote:

I'll go so far as to say that Coastal Wheat is the only bad Sam Adams product I've ever had. I 'm sure I now have no credibility w/ the beer snobs.
I wouldn't wash my ass with coastal wheat. Horrible beer.
Southern Hospitality Is Aggressive Hospitality

The Venerable Bogatir X
Supreme Martian Overlord

Ed Zachary wrote:

The Chocolate Bock was a BIG improvement over the Lambic.

Sua Sponte
Gunny

Post by Sua Sponte »

johno wrote:....... if it was called "First Batt Ranger IPA," the name would make sense...sort of a weaker version of the Real Deal.
Envy is an ugly thing.

snatch grip
Gunny

Post by snatch grip »

Shafpocalypse Now wrote:Lilja's Hop Ness Monster was very disappointing as far as American IPAs go.

I'm spoiled as my go-to American IPA is the excellent Two Hearted Ale from Bells Brewery. And I missed Bell's seasonal "Hop Slam" this year.
Hop Slam is one of my top 5 beers. Expensive but worth it. Two Hearted is great as well. Best IPAs i've had are Hopslam, Dogfish Head 60/90/120 Minute (i like all three), Two Hearted and Cigar City Jai Alai. I have a friend who just opened a brewery called Intuition Ale Works and his "People's IPA" is solid.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

I'll have to grab some Jai Alai. I saw it at a local shop.

Hopslam should be coming out. Usually I get a bunch and drink it until spring, but last year I forgot about it and only was able to snag one six pack.

Dunn
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Dunn »

Ed Zachary wrote: I look forward to the Winter mix every year.
Same here. The Winter mix and Dundee's Honey Lager is what is stocked at my house right now.

I have also been sipping on the occasional Gulden Draak. Yummy.

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil »

Bought some of the Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale per TUD's rec and that is some good shit. Gonna stock up on this stuff.

The Venerable Bogatir X
Supreme Martian Overlord

Fucking silky smooth!