Hario Skerton Ceramic Coffee Grinder

Tell us if you found a gem or a piece of shit, and who peddled it

Moderator: Dux

milosz

Re: Hario Skerton Ceramic Coffee Grinder

Post by milosz »

I have an Orphan Espresso Lido E for my espresso machine, it's built like a damn tank. They have a version suitable for drip/pourover/French press that I'm going to get at some point.

The Crawdaddy

Post by The Crawdaddy »

Shit. I am epically surprised. My home-roasted coffee with the Skelton was surprisingly so much better that I went backwards this morning just to confirm the delta. Today's brew had a slightly burned flavor (dark roast) that I can only associate with overextraction resulting from the too-fine grind that a blade grinder will inevitedably give you at least some of. The grind from the Skelton even smells better, and yields a quality of coffee that's almost as much of a step above the blade as fresh, home-roasted is above buying good roasted coffee from a place like Whole Foods.

Kind of interesting (to me at least)
Blaidd Drwg wrote:90% of the people lifting in gyms are doing it on "feel" and what they really "feel" like is being a lazy fuck.
"A good man always knows his limitations..." -- "Dirty" Harry Callahan

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge »

Crawdad when you have some time explain this home roasting business please. Where do you buy your beans and how do you roast them etc. I'd like to give this a try. You can do it in the oven, right? How much at a time?

The Crawdaddy

Post by The Crawdaddy »

I buy from Sweet Maria's. I roast in a popcorn air popper (in my garage). I recommend not in the house, as there is a little smoke. THe garage is good as it keeps the external temp from affecting things too much (ambient matters with my cheapo method). You can buy an air roaster, but when I got into this, I wadn't sure I'd like it - might have been a hassle, so the $20 price point of the air popper method (see the Sweet Maria's website for lots of info) seemed like the right starting point. I've modified mine slightly - removed the thermister from the circuit to allow my roaster to get dark roasts when I want, which wasn't hard, but you should have some understanding of electrical before attempting as this removes some safety aspects and can result in a "log cabin fire" if left unattended for an undefined period (over roasting leads to charcoal...

Recommend some reading and vid watching.
Blaidd Drwg wrote:90% of the people lifting in gyms are doing it on "feel" and what they really "feel" like is being a lazy fuck.
"A good man always knows his limitations..." -- "Dirty" Harry Callahan