Tell us if you found a gem or a piece of shit, and who peddled it

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Re: Homeland Season 3

Post by baffled »

No.

The presence of a penis changes the rules of that particular game quite a bit.
"Gentle in what you do, Firm in how you do it"
- Buck Brannaman

Bobby
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bobby »

Although we don`t discriminate here in Sweden I must agree with baffled (not about me being gay though).
You`ll toughen up.Unless you have a serious medical condition commonly refered to as
"being a pussy".

Freki
Sgt. Major

Post by Freki »

So I'm fuzzy on the show's timeline, her kid is Brody's, right? Mostly I forget the last time he banged her. I know it's only a few months since the CIA bombing.
"The reason that 'guru' is such a popular word is because 'charlatan' is so hard to spell."
@GSElevator: Can we please stop calling them hipsters and go back to calling them pussies?
Blood eagles solve everything.

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge »

Freak, I'm not certain it's Body's kid...it makes sense that it is but she's had some issues. Remember she banged that dude on her stairs that she later hooked up with when she needed a place to crash after she got out of the crazyhouse.

SubClaw

Post by SubClaw »

I'm beginning to suspect the child is Quinn's.
You ever seen a cycling plumber who wrestles with small calves, forearms and neck? Didn't think so.

Gav
Sgt. Major

Post by Gav »

She got put under in the nut house. Some male nurse might have thought 'shit, there's the chick from Homeland, I'm gonna stick it in her while she's out.
davidc wrote:I've found standing on my head to be particularly useful

Freki
Sgt. Major

Post by Freki »

Shapecharge wrote:Freak, I'm not certain it's Body's kid...it makes sense that it is but she's had some issues. Remember she banged that dude on her stairs that she later hooked up with when she needed a place to crash after she got out of the crazyhouse.
Remember it!? Best scene of the season so far. That's what I was thinking of when I asked about timing, thinking it could be his.
"The reason that 'guru' is such a popular word is because 'charlatan' is so hard to spell."
@GSElevator: Can we please stop calling them hipsters and go back to calling them pussies?
Blood eagles solve everything.

Topic author
baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled »

SubClaw wrote:I'm beginning to suspect the child is Quinn's.
If that were to be the case, it would be full on shark jumpage.

There's been no indication that they've bumped uglies, though it seems like Quinn has some sort of affection for Carrie. I'm not convinced it's a romantic interest, but he definitely is committed to her more than he is the CIA in general.
- Buck Brannaman

Topic author
baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled »

Fuck this.
- Buck Brannaman

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge »

Well we know it's Body's kid.

I fucking knew that dude that was fucking Saul's wife was not as it seemed. This fucking show...christ, Saul is the head of the world's numero uno spy agency and some dude is sneaking around in his house fucking with his computer.

So they're gonna re-program and re-train Brody into some kind of crazy killing machine or what?

I love how all kinds of people can be just hanging out on top of buildings with scopes and rifles and a fucking margarita machine and super secret agent spy killers who are a skittish as a deer during hunting season are seaking around and can't see them...hey, look across the street...they're right there on top of that building!! Run dip shit.

Topic author
baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled »

I'm just doubling down on boardwalk empire and waiting for banshee to start again. That show was kind of cool, too.

I'll finish this season of homeland, then I'm out n
- Buck Brannaman

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge »

C'mon Baff, you've got to stay to the end. There's not more than a season or two left...they can't sustain it much longer than that.

Topic author
baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled »

I dunno, Shape.

I'm getting sick of every storyline they've got.

Saul's chick getting banged by some spy. Dana Brody, Crazy fucking Carrie still being in the CIA at all, let alone involved in any sort of operation that matters, that caricature of a Senator, Dar Adal was supposed to be running black ops in Somalia or some shit when he was first introduced, but he's also on the board of some foundation with a nefarious lawyer?

And the lackey lawyer is apparently an assassin now?

I mean, what the fuck? There aren't even any titties this year.

I was almost happy for about half of Sunday's episode, thinking this may be when they save the show.... then they may as well have taken a shit on my TV screen.
- Buck Brannaman

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge »

Well shit you just summarized all the problems me and Mrs. Shape are having but I was pretending it didn't matter.

I was really hoping the dude banging Saul's wife was just that so when he's hiding in the fucking house I had to pause it for second and it irritated the shit out of me...like, so it's that fucking easy to know everything the CIA is doing? Just break into the acting director's house? Fuck this shit.

Topic author
baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled »

Shapecharge wrote:Well shit you just summarized all the problems me and Mrs. Shape are having but I was pretending it didn't matter.

I was really hoping the dude banging Saul's wife was just that so when he's hiding in the fucking house I had to pause it for second and it irritated the shit out of me...like, so it's that fucking easy to know everything the CIA is doing? Just break into the acting director's house? Fuck this shit.
Seriously.

And the acting director isn't in a house with incredibly fortified EVERYTHING? Alarm, regular security, encrypted computer/internet?

I mean, what the fuck?

I'm all for escapism, but at a certain point, you wonder if the lead writer had a stroke and they just threw the story lines together to make sure they could still film something because most people are too stupid to keep track of their bullshit.
- Buck Brannaman

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge »

I'm really fascianted by the writing-by-committee approach that goes on with episodic tv work. Just a group of people sitting around a big table tossing out ideas? But then each writer has a character they're responsible for? What about dialogue? We've got all kinds of supposedly brilliant motherfuckers on IGx...you'd think we could have at least one half-assed writer who could tell us how this all works and how difficult it is to keep it all together and avoid conflicts and shit. I'd also like to know how they get paid. So I could see being a writer on this show and just being wrung out emotionally writing this stuff, staying serious and relevant but also not knowing how long you're going to be working.

seeahill
Font of All Wisdom, God Damn it

Post by seeahill »

Shape,
I've never written for TV so I can't add much.

I knew a former RS writer who worked for the show Northern Exposure. She was married to a guy a lot older than she. Together they wrote the scenes for the May/Sept fictional couple in NE. What did they get paid? Don't know, never asked but there was little doubt that she was doing financially better than me. How did the couple integrate in the the NE story? Dunno. Did someone work on continuity? Had to be.

$$$ is good in TV. A couple of my friends work LA/TV. Elwood Reid, used to live here. Now he's doing Hawaii 5-0. He was a young starving writing here. There, he's able to raise his three daughters comfortably.

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge »

Thanks Tim. So you never wanted to get into that? After that book you did about the killer I would have thought maybe you'd been up for anything but that shit again.

seeahill
Font of All Wisdom, God Damn it

Post by seeahill »

I exhausted my curiosity about serial killers after researching that sick mofo for three years. Never again.

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge »

How 'bout writing a book about a guy that is real asshole and can't eat blueberries? He also has both male and female genitalia and has very oily skin. Most likely lives with his parents in the basement. The book could be inspirational to some extent...like, holy shit, my life isn't quite so bad after reading about this guy.

Topic author
baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled »

Had a conversation with my Dad yesterday about this trainwreck of a show.

In no particular order, what may be the complete set of gripes to be had, just with Season 3. Quite a few repeats, but I saved a slightly new question for the end:

- Dana Brody
- Mrs. Brody... Who lets their 16 year old daughter just leave to live with some friend she's never met? The name change is one thing, but... what? And no boobs = no point at this stage in the story.
- Dar Adal: From black ops to sitting on the board of some foundation. A guy the main characters didn't know was in the country somehow can sit on the board of some high profile foundation... no f'ing way.
- Carrie: nuts. How is she still in the field? Insubordination, serious bipolar disorder = super spy?
- Saul's ugly wife. Like she's getting laid by anyone other than Saul.
- Saul's ugly wife's side piece. As if the Acting Director isn't in a heavily monitored residence, and his PC is going to have important secrets on it? Sure.
- Quinn's backstory. Seriously... this could be one of the more awesome parts of the show. These guys are all wound up ex Delta Seals running black ops killing Somali pirates in Yemen or something, right? HOW COME THEY CAN'T TIE THAT IN WITH SOMETHING ABOUT BRODY'S TIME IN CAPTIVITY? AT LEAST SHOW THE REST OF THE GROUP IN SOME WAY. THIS GUY IS AN ASSASSIN NOW, BUT HE'S FRAYING!?!???
- Chris Brody: The most unnecessary character in any show. Ever.
- The Senator who's taking Saul's job. He had the potential to be interesting in some way, but he's just a character and not very interesting as an antagonist.
- The assassin lackey lawyer.

And lastly: The top lawyer guy.

This motherfucker sits on the board of some high profile foundation with Dar Fucking Adal, he of the black ops assassin team leader... and was possibly running operations as some sort of international terrorist mastermind? Or connected to one? Like the CIA wouldn't be running a little counter-surveillance and vetting all the contacts of such an important member of their agency?

Whatever, man.
- Buck Brannaman

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge »

Baff, you pretty much covered it...the wife and I as well as a couple of guys at work that watch all have the same gripes. The fact that it's well shot and acted helps obscure these issues but they're there none-the-less and I think it's going to get worse. Now really, how in the fuck are they going to get Brody back in the game? He had a fucking explosive vest on with anyone and everyone running the whole fucking country and actually tried to set it off. You don't get to say sorry, my bad, and get a pass on it. I will stay with this train wreck for awhile.

SubClaw

Post by SubClaw »

For fuck's sake, what were they thinking? This once fine show is going to the shitter.

I'm tempted to download the israeli original series and ditch Homeland before it's too late.
You ever seen a cycling plumber who wrestles with small calves, forearms and neck? Didn't think so.

Cave Canem

Post by Cave Canem »

I taped last week's show while I was out of town. Been home 4 days and still haven't watched it. Just not interested enough anymore.

This gives me a new philosophy. If I've taped a show and haven't watched it before the next episode airs, unless there are unusual circumstances, then it isn't worth the time.
Tantum validus superstes

Topic author
baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled »

Shapecharge wrote:Baff, you pretty much covered it...the wife and I as well as a couple of guys at work that watch all have the same gripes. The fact that it's well shot and acted helps obscure these issues but they're there none-the-less and I think it's going to get worse. Now really, how in the fuck are they going to get Brody back in the game? He had a fucking explosive vest on with anyone and everyone running the whole fucking country and actually tried to set it off. You don't get to say sorry, my bad, and get a pass on it. I will stay with this train wreck for awhile.
As my buddy's girlfriend said last night when we were playing some stupid beanbag tossing game at a party last night, "can I have a mullet on that one?" She's a sweetheart, and obviously meant mulligan, but that epitomizes how I feel, especially about season 3.

It's so ridiculous that I want them to take a do over, but they would fuck up the very act of asking for one.
- Buck Brannaman