Moderator: Dux

DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Re: Limey TV thread

Post by DARTH »

Turdacious wrote:
Blaidd Drwg wrote:
Turdacious wrote:
Blaidd Drwg wrote:Rome and Inspector Lewis I forgot about!

Lewis is kinda slooow...Can you do Midsomer Murders? It puts me to sleep but has good dialogue and character development.
Watched a couple episodes of Midsomer-- mysteries themselves were well written, but bland main characters. Meh. Lewis is much better.
True. but there's not as many Lewis available streaming and Midsomer puts me to sleep.You try Saxondale?
Not yet. FWIW, Lewis gets better after the seasons available on streaming. James' character is much better written.
I think they might be looking to do with Lewis to James as the did with Morse to Lewis? Pass the show down to the understudy.

He is a cool character.

"God forbid we tell the savages to go fuck themselves." Batboy

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg »

James...oh yeah... Mr. Billy Piper.....

"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

Topic author
Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious »

Reilly, Ace of Spies-- miniseries about the man who inspired James Bond. First few episodes are slow, but picks up. Good series. Sam Neill is the third best Bond.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

Topic author
Turdacious
Lifetime IGer

Post by Turdacious »

DARTH wrote:
Turdacious wrote:
Blaidd Drwg wrote:
Turdacious wrote:
Blaidd Drwg wrote:Rome and Inspector Lewis I forgot about!

Lewis is kinda slooow...Can you do Midsomer Murders? It puts me to sleep but has good dialogue and character development.
Watched a couple episodes of Midsomer-- mysteries themselves were well written, but bland main characters. Meh. Lewis is much better.
True. but there's not as many Lewis available streaming and Midsomer puts me to sleep.You try Saxondale?
Not yet. FWIW, Lewis gets better after the seasons available on streaming. James' character is much better written.
I think they might be looking to do with Lewis to James as the did with Morse to Lewis? Pass the show down to the understudy.

He is a cool character.
True. FWIW, I watched the newer Lewis episodes are available on random PBS websites with a little searching.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DARTH »

Turdacious wrote:Reilly, Ace of Spies-- miniseries about the man who inspired James Bond. First few episodes are slow, but picks up. Good series. Sam Neill is the third best Bond.
I saw that when it came on Masterpiece Theater in the late 80's.

When I saw the ds on TV ofr Jurassic Park I shouted "Reilly is going to kill some Dinos!"

Man Reilly ended sad, good thing for a pre-teen to see.

Topic author
Turdacious
Lifetime IGer

Post by Turdacious »

1990-- mid 70's series about a distopian future where bureaucrats run wild. Think 1984. Good characters and dialog, and Edward Woodward is great. It starts slow and it's very British, but a good series.

Available on Youtube, not sure about anywhere else:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2DL9-Bx1ME[/youtube]

Gav
Sgt. Major

Post by Gav »

Check out 'The Fall'. Good series. It has Gillian Anderson looking sexy too.
davidc wrote:I've found standing on my head to be particularly useful

DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DARTH »

Gav wrote:Check out 'The Fall'. Good series. It has Gillian Anderson looking sexy too.
I want her like no other. Thanks for the tip.

Gav
Sgt. Major

Post by Gav »

Darth, I think you missed the music thread I posted for you last week. It's probably off the first page now.

Gav
Sgt. Major

Post by Gav »

Another good show 'Broadchurch'. The main character is Scottish and has an accent you folks might have trouble with.

Bobby
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bobby »

Remember the first time I was in Glasgow and heard a policeman speak.Had to ask my dad what language the policeman was speaking and to my surprise it was english (sort of).
You`ll toughen up.Unless you have a serious medical condition commonly refered to as
"being a pussy".

The Ginger Beard Man
Sgt. Major

Post by The Ginger Beard Man »

Gav wrote:Another good show 'Broadchurch'. The main character is Scottish and has an accent you folks might have trouble with.
My girlfriend told me about this a few days ago. Now that I'm caught up on Sherlock, we're going to check this out.
Blaidd Drwg wrote:Disengage from the outcome and do work.
Jezzy Bell wrote:Use a fucking barbell, pansy.

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg »

Not limey..Nordic but really excellent. The Bridge. Svensk/Dansk language, subtitled well in Engrish.

Pinky
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Pinky »

DARTH wrote:
Gav wrote:Check out 'The Fall'. Good series. It has Gillian Anderson looking sexy too.
I want her like no other. Thanks for the tip.
"The Fall" was very good. And Scully is a naughty girl.
"The biggest problems that we’re facing right now have to do with George Bush trying to bring more and more power into the executive branch and not go through Congress at all."

DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DARTH »

YES!

Bobby
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bobby »

An oldie,but goodie![youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLOpfJWFWz0[/youtube]
You`ll toughen up.Unless you have a serious medical condition commonly refered to as
"being a pussy".

Bobby
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bobby »

Inspired "All in the family".
"being a pussy".

Topic author
Turdacious
Lifetime IGer

Post by Turdacious »

Jack Taylor-- not limey, based on an Irish detective series. Ex-cop with issues solves crimes. Series is darkly but well shot. Lots of one liners from the main character's internal monologue that seem like they were taken directly from the books. Taylor is damaged and vulnerable, but likeable. Standard noir stuff with a Irish twist. On Netflix streaming. Well done series so far. I like it.

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg »

Turdacious wrote:Jack Taylor-- not limey, based on an Irish detective series. Ex-cop with issues solves crimes. Series is darkly but well shot. Lots of one liners from the main character's internal monologue that seem like they were taken directly from the books. Taylor is damaged and vulnerable, but likeable. Standard noir stuff with a Irish twist. On Netflix streaming. Well done series so far. I like it.

The voiceover bugs a bit but overall very good I thought.

Say...you run across Hit and Miss?

It's a EZ special starring Cloe Sevigny as a transgendered hit(woman) with a bunch of quasi foster kids. Gut check warning..full frontal prosthetic cock in the first couple scenes of episode 1.

Topic author
Turdacious
Lifetime IGer

Post by Turdacious »

Will have to put that on the list. Thanks.

Bobby
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bobby »

Here is a good one.[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KILl3FA89SE[/youtube]
"being a pussy".

Bobby
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bobby »

A good alarm clock [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjZi8kRQREk[/youtube]2-3 minutes in.
"being a pussy".

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg »

Turd,

Inspector Morse took me a bit to catch onto but, yeah..better than Lewis. Great character development and character acting. Clealy closer to a book in the overall feel.

Topic author
Turdacious
Lifetime IGer

Post by Turdacious »

Blaidd Drwg wrote:Turd,

Inspector Morse took me a bit to catch onto but, yeah..better than Lewis. Great character development and character acting. Clealy closer to a book in the overall feel.
Saw the first couple of episodes, thought they were ok. Will have to give them another look now that they're on Netflix streaming.
Thanks.

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg »

Turdacious wrote:
Blaidd Drwg wrote:Turd,

Saw the first couple of episodes, thought they were ok. Will have to give them another look now that they're on Netflix streaming.
Thanks.

This is embarrassing...but I'm watching one now,and I've taken to writing down the character's names because they click though so many and then kill them off before you know their last name. Also was enjoying Smiley's People on your rec. but NF was sending thrashed discs.