Tell us if you found a gem or a piece of shit, and who peddled it

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Beer Jew
Sgt. Major

Werner Strength Programs

Post by Beer Jew »

By Travis Werner.

I was expecting more, the book is very simple, 88 pages long, spiralbound.

Begins by listing his ten commandments of lifting, which can be found verbatim on his website. Then outlines all his programs in the book. These are:

Fall meet Program
Winter offseason Program
Spring meet Program
Summer offseason program
Raw meet program
Jason Becks IPF program

With the exception of the RAW meet program and the summer offseason program, they are all gear programs. They could be useful when used RAW, but I don't know how to adjust them to work RAW.

He spends a lot of time talking about how he was taught by Jason Beck that assistance is overated and one needs only really perform the competition moves, but then a standard day in the RAW meet program looks like this:
Deadlift Day, Week #1:
Hang Cleans, 1 warm up set then 5x5, progressive sets.
Push Press, 1 warm up set then 5x3, progressive sets.
Barbell Rows, 5x5 progressive sets.
Deadlift lockout from just below knees, 4x5 progressive sets
Tricep extensions- 4x10

Personally, the routines as written don't do it for me, because I'd go mentally stale very quickly. I can't do routines, I do guidelines. Routines get too boring too quickly for me. He outlines the programs nicely, which I think provide good outlines for a RAW powerlifter though, for example:

RAW Meet Program:

The Workouts

Workout #1: Bench emphasis, with some squats
Workout #2: Deadlift emphasis
Workout #3: Squat emphasis, with some bench press

3 Week Wave:
Week #1: Heavy Squats, heavy bench, deadlifts out of rack
Week #2: Squats for 5x5, heavy bench, heavy deadlift
Week #3: Pause squats, heavy bench, deadlift for 3x10

Explanation:
Heavy squats are 5x3 with same weight. Squats for 5x5 are same weight across. Pause squats are 5x3. Heavy bench is 5 weeks of 5x5, 5 weeks of 5x3, two weeks of 5x2, 1 week of 5x1, then a max single in week 13. Heavy deadlift is 5x3, progressive sets.
5x5 weight across means 5 sets of 5 with the heaviest weight you can do 5x5 with, without missing reps. This is important. He says if the last set was easy, don't be afraid to add weight on a sets across day, but make sure you never miss a prescribed rep. He also stays away from percentages, preferring you to pick the weight with the caveat that you must be able to make all the reps.

He finishes the book taking you through the three powerlifts and the correct technique.

Overall, nice for a geared lifter, but not enough RAW info, and not enough guidelines/theory for me. I suspect this book will be most useful for powerlifting coaches. YMMV.