Air France Flight 447 crash...

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Air France Flight 447 crash...

Post by Shapecharge »

I always wondered what happened. Didn't realize the mystery had been solved. It's pretty fucking spooky.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/technol ... 47-6611877

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Re: Air France Flight 447 crash...

Post by nafod »

Shapecharge wrote:I always wondered what happened. Didn't realize the mystery had been solved. It's pretty fucking spooky.

That is one of the ultimate monumental pilot error cases I've ever seen. Flew a perfectly good jet into the water for no reason. Two things caught my eye:
- It's an Airbus. They have a different philosophy towards cockpit automation than Boeing does. and the idea that the more senior pilot can't see or feel what the other guy is doing with his sidestick controller is FUBAR.
- The Captain was a-snoozing, leaving two more junior guys at the helm

On my trip to South Africa, the airliner flew right down the Atlantic and probably near to the crash site, so I thought about it while chilling at 37K ft back in steerage. Took some comfort in the fact that it was a Boeing jet, and that they had two full crews of Captain and First Officer on board. I wonder if that was a new thing, though, based on the crash.
Don’t believe everything you think.

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno »

The men are utterly failing to engage in an important process known as crew resource management, or CRM. They are failing, essentially, to cooperate.
nafod, what do you think about the CRM model?
Taken from aviation, it is being promoted in the fire service.
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

W.B. Yeats

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

johno wrote:
The men are utterly failing to engage in an important process known as crew resource management, or CRM. They are failing, essentially, to cooperate.
nafod, what do you think about the CRM model?
Taken from aviation, it is being promoted in the fire service.
It saves lives and makes the whole greater than the sum of the parts. Similarly with ORM risk management stuff. All good.

It could make an impact in hospitals too, for sure, for those iGX docs visiting this thread.

powerlifter54
Sergeant Commanding

Post by powerlifter54 »

Shapecharge wrote:I always wondered what happened. Didn't realize the mystery had been solved. It's pretty fucking spooky.

Aircrew Coordination is about Decision Making, Assertiveness, Mission Analysis, Communication, Leadership, Adaptability, and Situational Awareness.

Once they screwed the pooch by not holding attitude and power when airpseed went to zero, and then not only didn't the lower nose, they didn't even release backstick pressure in a stall warning situation.

F'in frogs. They are the JFK Jrs of aviation.

With two copilots in cockpit the nonflying pilot should have been talking the flying frog out of his helmet fire. Even with the Captain flying, CRM demands assertiveness. You don't let anybody, no matter how senior, try to kill you.

Avoidable.
"Start slowly, then ease off". Tortuga Golden Striders Running Club, Pensacola 1984.

"But even snake wrestling beats life in the cube, for me at least. In measured doses."-Lex

Kraj 2.0
Gunny

Post by Kraj 2.0 »

Never trust a Frenchman with your life. They know wine and cheese and little else. If you want someone to pilot you around in a tin can at 30,000 feet, go German.

Anyone who's played any kind of flight sim knows you don't hold the stick back like this guy did. Why not just level out the controls and gun the engines if you're so worried about your speed or the damn storm? Too bad the real captain was too busy being inducted into the Mile High Club for the umpteenth time to actually do his job. You would think there'd be a better time to take a nap than when approaching a dangerous storm.

Sassenach
ironslinger

Post by Sassenach »

Well that makes me never want to fly again.
Kazuya Mishima wrote:they can pry the bacon from my cold dead hand.

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates »

A side note touching on the CRM thing. There is more and more stuff trickling into locomotive operations from aviation.

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TerryB »

Ed Zachary wrote:A side note touching on the CRM thing. There is more and more stuff trickling into locomotive operations from aviation.
If you find yourself hurtling 40 degrees into the ocean, blame your copilot?
"Know that! & Know it deep you fucking loser!"

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

Not what happened here, but there's an interesting bit in Outliers about how power distance in cultures can lead to plane crashes. Similar info here:
http://www.publicspeakingtoolkit.com/et ... ashes.html

I read that section of the book on a plane, which was uncomfortable.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates »

protobuilder wrote:
Ed Zachary wrote:A side note touching on the CRM thing. There is more and more stuff trickling into locomotive operations from aviation.
If you find yourself hurtling 40 degrees into the ocean, blame your copilot?
Yep.
Southern Hospitality Is Aggressive Hospitality

Topic author
Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge »

EZ, if you were travelling in the caboose of a mile long train travelling at 60 mph and your train crashes head on into another similar sized train travelling at the same speed would you have time to rub one out before crazy shit started to happen? Knowing as we all do that train people are extremely homosexual, is homo-conductor/engineer behavior during actual train operations a major cause of crashes and mishaps and this information is kept from the public and blamed on other things?

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates »

Shapecharge wrote:EZ, if you were travelling in the caboose of a mile long train travelling at 60 mph and your train crashes head on into another similar sized train travelling at the same speed would you have time to rub one out before crazy shit started to happen? Knowing as we all do that train people are extremely homosexual, is homo-conductor/engineer behavior during actual train operations a major cause of crashes and mishaps and this information is kept from the public and blamed on other things?
Yes on all points.

Sassenach
ironslinger

Post by Sassenach »

Shape missed his calling as an engineer. Are ass-less chaps and handlebar mustaches the norm?
Kazuya Mishima wrote:they can pry the bacon from my cold dead hand.

Freki
Sgt. Major

Post by Freki »

What's the rail equivalent of the Mile High Club?
"The reason that 'guru' is such a popular word is because 'charlatan' is so hard to spell."
@GSElevator: Can we please stop calling them hipsters and go back to calling them pussies?
Blood eagles solve everything.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

Freki wrote:
The On Top of the Dining Car club.

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates »

Freki wrote:
The always late club.

If you want anything to arrive on time never ship by rail.

Bobby
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bobby »

Or anyone.I always get surprised when the train arrives on time.
You`ll toughen up.Unless you have a serious medical condition commonly refered to as
"being a pussy".

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

If the Airbus is rocking...

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

Imagine those poor people falling for 3.5 minutes. Not a nice way to go.
"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen

Kraj 2.0
Gunny

Post by Kraj 2.0 »

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

Fat Cat wrote:Imagine those poor people falling for 3.5 minutes. Not a nice way to go.
Ughhh. Best not to dwell on it while motoring along back in steerage at 40,000'.

I was on a flight to LA from DC in a two engine airliner, and we lost one of them while over Colorado. Felt the engine vibration go up, and a whiff of oil through the cabin pressurization system (powered by engine bleed air). There was some serious tension back in economy class. Ended up diverting to Colorado Springs airport, which is a mostly commuter site, so we took up the whole terminal. Tension got released in the terminal bar.

vern

Post by vern »

whiff of oil through the cabin pressurization system
Yeah, this is what scares me the most when flying. I read a book on air disasters years ago and the creepiest one IMO was Saudia Flight 163.

Seven minutes after takeoff, the flight reports a fire in the cargo area and returns to make an emergency landing. The plane makes a perfect landing, taxies off the runway, stops, and shuts down the engines.

All 301 people on board were dead from smoke inhalation.
“Wherever the crowd goes, run the other direction. They’re always wrong.” Bukowski

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TerryB »

vern wrote:
whiff of oil through the cabin pressurization system
Yeah, this is what scares me the most when flying. I read a book on air disasters years ago and the creepiest one IMO was Saudia Flight 163.

Seven minutes after takeoff, the flight reports a fire in the cargo area and returns to make an emergency landing. The plane makes a perfect landing, taxies off the runway, stops, and shuts down the engines.

All 301 people on board were dead from smoke inhalation.
jesus christ!

those pilots should get a medal for safely landing a plane while dead
"Know that! & Know it deep you fucking loser!"