You will not go to space today

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
tzg
Gunny

You will not go to space today

Post by tzg »

Sometimes I think about how I am not an astronaut. Not all dreams can come true.

What do you think the odds are that you will ever go to space? How much do you regret that the answer is so far from 100%?

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Re: You will not go to space today

Post by baffled »

0% and 0%.
"Gentle in what you do, Firm in how you do it"
- Buck Brannaman

Batboy2/75
Starship Trooper

Post by Batboy2/75 »

Fuck space. Wake me up when the hot green alien chicks show up. Or at least when we have mastered interplanetary travel and it doesn't take 4 fucking months to coast to Mars.

I can name at least two dozen places I'd rather visit here on Earth before I die. Off the top of my head, I've always wanted to visit Machu Picchu, sail to the Spice Islands, ride the trans Siberian railroad, visit Antartica, ride with the nomads of Mongolia, see the Caspian Sea etc etc.
Arms are the only true badge of liberty. The possession of arms is the distinction of the free man from the slave.

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

bigpeach
Buttnugget McTwistynutz

Post by bigpeach »

Batboy2/75 wrote:Fuck space. Wake me up when the hot green alien chicks show up. Or at least when we have mastered interplanetary travel and it doesn't take 4 fucking months to coast to Mars.

I can name at least two dozen places I'd rather visit here on Earth before I die. Off the top of my head, I've always wanted to visit Machu Picchu, sail to the Spice Islands, ride the trans Siberian railroad, visit Antartica, ride with the nomads of Mongolia, see the Caspian Sea etc etc.
I see you've checked seeahill's books out of the library too.

Batboy2/75
Starship Trooper

Post by Batboy2/75 »

bigpeach wrote:
Batboy2/75 wrote:Fuck space. Wake me up when the hot green alien chicks show up. Or at least when we have mastered interplanetary travel and it doesn't take 4 fucking months to coast to Mars.

Seeahill writes books?
Arms are the only true badge of liberty. The possession of arms is the distinction of the free man from the slave.

bigpeach
Buttnugget McTwistynutz

Post by bigpeach »

Batboy2/75 wrote:
bigpeach wrote:

Seeahill writes books?
If you use a loose definition of "book," sure.

Batboy2/75
Starship Trooper

Post by Batboy2/75 »

bigpeach wrote:
Batboy2/75 wrote:
bigpeach wrote:

Seeahill writes books?
If you use a loose definition of "book," sure.
And Libraies stock them? As in, the library or someone else purchased them and the library lends them out?

Voluntarily? Not as a punishment or a sick joke?

DrDonkeyLove
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DrDonkeyLove »

I am a spaceman.

From James Michener's "Space"
But at this moment, I'm sitting on a piece of Earth at 34degrees30 minutes North, which means "I'm spinning west to east at a rate of about 860 miles an hour. At the Equator, because of the larger bulge, 1,040 mph...... At the same time, my Earth is moving thru it's orbit around the Sun at 66,661 mph.... and my Sun is carrying itself and it's planets toward the star Vega at something ike 31,000 mph

Our Sun and Vega move around the Galaxy at the blinding speed of 700,000 mph and the Galaxy itself rotates at 559,350 mph......

and that's not all... Our Galaxy moves in relation to all other galaxies as they rush thru the universe at a speed of better than 1,000,000 miles an hour....

so when I sit here absolutely still, I"m moving in six wildly different directions at an accumulated speed of maybe two and a half million mph... so I can never be motionless.... I'm traveling always at speeds which are incomprehensible ... and it's all happening in real time....

and, perhaps the Universe itself is hurtling toward some undefined destination at a speed which could hardly be stated...
Mao wrote:Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious »

"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DARTH »

0.5% chance because I am opptamistic by nature.
50% pissed off about it and I thought at least we would have Blade Runner/K.I.T.T. aerocars. :-({|=

The States should do the safety net shit and the Feds should put 35-50% of the budget towards military, telecommunication, scientific and mining in space.

100% of all tax revenues from civliian space industry goes into our national space programs. You make NASA and american civillian space cargo launcers the leader in the world and make $$$$$ in it.

Treat it like the space race and cold war like we used to and reaped alot of return out of when you break it down. Now you do it with a slightly less militaristic bent but go for the long term building of transportational infastructure for the industrialization of space.

That and fix schools, obliterate pissant jawa tribal lands instead of have long police actions and we'd be fucking great, not perfect but great. The fags can get married, everyone can smoke pot, I can keep my guns and my grandkids can work in space, making bank and spreading us out eventually to the stars.

"God forbid we tell the savages to go fuck themselves." Batboy

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Protobuilder »

Don't feel bad if you aren't able to go into space if you are American. You happen to have had the misfortune of being born in a country currently incapable of putting anybody in orbit. Of course, you could wait until the Constellation Program is off the ground and America regains her place atop...sorry, Obama killed that program. Oh well, China is going to have a man on the moon next year - perhaps you could ask them for a ride.
WildGorillaMan wrote:Enthusiasm combined with no skill whatsoever can sometimes carry the day.