Garm

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
seeahill
Font of All Wisdom, God Damn it

Garm

Post by seeahill »

Dirty Uncle Garm set this forum up for us. Paid with us own money for a while. Why? Because this is a forum that is un-moderated. There was not anything like it. I don't know if there is anything now.

Here, you say anything you like. All manner of opinion may be expressed. People who don't agree on anything can interact. For instance, I don't like racist shit at all. But I've gotten some insight into people here who espouse those ideas. Since I find the ideas so offensive, I always suppose these people I've met here must be joking to some extent. Maybe not. Doesn't matter. What we have here is the market place of ideas, writ large.

Anyway, Garm set this thing up so we can say what we want.

So let us thank our pal, the departed Garm. And, hey, don't get all pissy about it.

*edit* Garm is quite alive, I meant he just doesn't come around here much anymore.... so "departed."
Last edited by seeahill on Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

the fearless freep
Gunny

Re: Garm

Post by the fearless freep »

seeahill wrote:Dirty Uncle Garm set this forum up for us. Paid with us own money for a while. Why? Because this is a forum that is un-moderated. There was not anything like it. I don't know if there is anything now.

Here, you say anything you like. All manner of opinion may be expressed. People who don't agree on anything can interact. For instance, I don't like racist shit at all. But I've gotten some insight into people here who espouse those ideas. Since I find the ideas so offensive, I always suppose these people I've met here must be joking to some extent. Maybe not. Doesn't matter. What we have here is the market place of ideas, writ large.

So let us thank our pal, the departed Garm.

And, hey, don't get all pissy about it.
Did Garm die? If so, RIP, dirty uncle, and thanks.
Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from a religious conviction.

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates »

the fearless freep wrote:
seeahill wrote:Dirty Uncle Garm set this forum up for us. Paid with us own money for a while. Why? Because this is a forum that is un-moderated. There was not anything like it. I don't know if there is anything now.

So let us thank our pal, the departed Garm.

And, hey, don't get all pissy about it.
Did Garm die? If so, RIP, dirty uncle, and thanks.
RIP Garm

My condolences to June Carter Cash Garm.
Southern Hospitality Is Aggressive Hospitality

Topic author
seeahill
Font of All Wisdom, God Damn it

Post by seeahill »

No, Garm didn't die. He comes back here every once in a while.

I believe, ironically, that it was total free speech that drove him from his eponymous forum.

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil »

Thanks, Garm!

DrDonkeyLove
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DrDonkeyLove »

Garm, whenever you are free of whatever gov't restrictions you are under, please come home.
Mao wrote:Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

He was taken by the secret service too soon. RIP Garm.
"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen

DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DARTH »

Timmy,

What do you consider racism? a Racist?

Is it anyone who uses the word nigger?

Is it someone who uses the word nigger about someone who lives up to the stereotype?

Is it someone who uses the word to describe any black person?

I'd like to know how you see it.

My kid got called a racist and was told we were racist because we had a Romney sign in our yard.

My kid has more brown and black skin friends than white.

The other 2 kids I train with him are cousins, both of Mexican descent, one is the child of a Mexican-American and a border jumper (who had his ass sent home.)

Race never comes up between the 3 of them. They are great kids and my son is starting to really bond with them. He and the older one hit it off the day they met.

His stepdad is one of my students and also someon who is becoming a close friend of mine. We both think it's cool our boy's are like us.

Some black and black/hispanic kids stole his NintendoDS (Cop I know got it back) I had to tell him that even though I want him to continue to take people as they are, not what they look like and that I was proud that he judges charcter and actions and not paint jobs, He need to watch his ass and his stuff when around a sizable number of them he does not know.

Am I a racist for passing this lesson down that I had to learn in a much harder way than simply having a game stolen?

Or am I a realist?

Thank you

"God forbid we tell the savages to go fuck themselves." Batboy

Thatcher II

Post by Thatcher II »

Interesting questions, Darth. The question of what constitutes "racism" and what makes us "racist" is subjective. I'm pretty sure you and others think there's a distinction between "niggers" and "black people". That is absolutely self-justifying and seeks to permit continued term of a very offensive term.

The language we use is subject to change. "Black" used to be offensive but was reclaimed. Now, "African American" is in vogue. The LBGT community have reclaimed "gay" and "queer" over the last 40 years, both of which terms uses to be seen as very offensive. So you see Chris Rock using "nigger" and you think he makes sense and off you go. But Chris Rock is a black man. His ancestors were slaves. They were branded and called "niggers". His "right" to use that word is not absolute and he can abuse that term depending on context. But regardless, he has a lot more standing to use it than a white person does. This is down to historical legacy and is reality.

Exposure to a particular group where experiences are negative will colour perception and predispose you to being suspicious or wary around members of that group you don't know. That can apply to black people, white people, Nigerians, Lithuanians, soldiers, teachers, priests, mechanics or any group you choose.

Its natural and actually intelligent,to not ignore negative experiences and to learn from them and act accordingly. That's reality. people expecting us to drop those prejudices are naive. But we do need to be extremely careful where the group is set apart by race. Because people don't choose their race. They should not face unfair barriers to getting on in life simply because of their colour. We're all connected. A thousand interactions every day can go negatively - in a shop, in work, in an interview, a classroom - which adds up to being held back and suffering from an unfair stigma. We shouldn't do that or contribute to it.

This site is a free speech site but it's still doesn't really invite a huge range of views. There are no openly gay people here. No black posters I can name. No feminist posters (or at least obviously feminist). It's quite a male, God-believing bunch who generally tolerate a huge degree of racism here, without challenge, which is way beyond what most of them would tolerate in real life. Whether that's actual tolerance or indifference I can't say. But I wouldn't take this place as a barometer of much given that most everyone is anonymous and this generally induces extreme expressions of otherwise moderate views.
It's great to be first at last

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Protobuilder »

Though this site may have initially been a free speech site, I feel that it would be possible to challenge that assertion as still being valid. Sorry, being able to type "fuck" or "nigger" doesn't make speech free, it makes speech hateful and counterproductive to producing any meaningful dialogue outside of others with similar opinions validating one's own views.

I do appreciate that this post will not be deleted and this thread will not be locked - that's becoming increasingly rare on the Internet nowadays. However, more often than not, if you post something outside the narrative of "niggers, guns, bitches and guns", you rarely will get anything but grammatically incorrect insults coming back at you.

I do agree with seeahill that this is an interesting insight to people who possess views very different than my own and I also used to believe that the extreme views on guns and overtly racist/misogynous attitude of many, though far from most, posters were in jest. However, it's probably more likely that the anonymity afforded by online discussion boards generates a discourse.

I hope not though.
WildGorillaMan wrote:Enthusiasm combined with no skill whatsoever can sometimes carry the day.

beefheart
Sergeant Commanding

Post by beefheart »

Sorry to hear about Garm, RIP.
ab g-d wrote:I can't understand how, given the training they did, the cavemen beat the dinosaurs.

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Protobuilder »

She will be missed.
WildGorillaMan wrote:Enthusiasm combined with no skill whatsoever can sometimes carry the day.

syaigh
Sergeant Commanding

Post by syaigh »

Gorbachev wrote: No feminist posters (or at least obviously feminist).
Feminists who are realists, have a sense of humor, and don't care to get into a TOTAL WAR discussion about subjects that probably don't interest the majority of the folks here.

But, yeah, thanks Garm.
Miss Piggy wrote:Never eat more than you can lift.

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates »

We had a black guy. He hated black people more than Kaz

Thatcher II

Post by Thatcher II »

Terry, wy du you hait our freedoms?? You don't got to stae heer. You can goe to China and see how they life is controlled your faggottt.
It's great to be first at last

The Venerable Bogatir X
Supreme Martian Overlord

Post by The Venerable Bogatir X »

Partly false.

The original IG was a simple MSN forum where he kept a very broad array of xcl powerlifting sheets and every now and again, questions were asked about them. When I joined that forum, it had about 20 members. Of those who are still here are PL54, Shaggy, BatBoy, Freki and I think, Johno. Others who are long gone and may or may not be shadowy forces for Uncle Sam would be exrecondoc and Biograd. And let's not forget Rubio, Doughboy MikeTheBear and Andy67 and a name who maybe five of you know....Rob Lawrence. There was also this little fellow who went by the name of Warped Mind and we'll get back to him in a bit.

The original IG's posting activities picked up during Desert Storm, when DD decided it needed to reel it in from somewhat 'free speech' to 'keep it classy'. I never faulted them for that but Pavel trying to tell people how they should act....essentially scolding people, did not go well with many, so on IG, spewing and bashing began. Steve F from NJ, was very vocal about what was being said on that forum and allegedly had it shut down. So IG1 was made then 2, 3 and so on.....

Back to Warped Mind. A tech guy from Florida who was just a pudge pot that enjoyed the whole scene vs. actually working out/training. As a side note, he was one of, if not the creator of the 'flash mob' concept some years back and was interviewed on the Today Show, I believe. Well, Warped was basically talked into creating a "Free Speech Forum" and did just that. It lasted for awhile before it was either shut down or he didn't have the time/heart/chops to run it (and who can blame him?).

So, Garm (a very high level technical guy), did what any American who believes in free speech could do and got IGx (the x is for all the previous numbers/forums....I believe we got to IG5)......and had the site hosted in the only place it could be untouched, yet still be somewhat reliable. That place was communist China if you can believe that shit.

Garm was essentially outed for not being in Force Recon, which was a cornerstone to his online persona. He made sporadic appearances over the years but it's been ages, as far as I know. Finally, his Redskins don't blow donkey dick and he's not hear to talk smack.

Dave took over the forum and then Mario from Dave.

Garm, Warped, Dave and Mario all have filled one of the most thankless 'hobby' roles there is....moderating this place and its predecessors.

Edit....misspoke above....it was not Desert Storm, it was post 911 when the debates got hot on DD and when they began to get shut down, IG's membership flourished.
Last edited by The Venerable Bogatir X on Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now »

Lol. Good point Terry.

Racism is defined by dictionaries and Wikipedia, and and a whole bunch of other shit.

I think there is a distinct conservative slant due to the large number of ex-military here. Plus military wannabes.

I do think that the vast majority will take an individual on their own merits, yet profile a distinct group, whether its cultural, skin color, religion or whatever.

I find certain things abhorrent. There are certain groups who perpetuate these things. Let's take good old fashioned Christian fundamentalism, they promote ignorance and wish to restrict other people's actions,,whom do not fall into their demographic...is that "racist"?

How about my disgust at illegal immigrant utilizing resources that should be used in citizens? Is that racist?

Etc

Kazuya Mishima
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

Seahill is just butthurt because I hate niggers, and my prose is 10x better.

The Venerable Bogatir X
Supreme Martian Overlord

Post by The Venerable Bogatir X »

Gorbachev wrote: This site is a free speech site but it's still doesn't really invite a huge range of views. There are no openly gay people here. No black posters I can name.
We have a lesbian/bisexual babe. We used to have two. For years we all thought SPELLS was gay, but that is apparently not the case....he just doesn't dig puffy nipples on women.

We have three black posters and one mixed breed that I'm aware of. Although only the mixed race guy posts with any frequency these days.

We have Shapecharge, who fits all of the above and can camp with the best of them.

No justice!

No peace!

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge »

I am indiscriminate in my love for violating a person's butthole.

I think we're at the 10 year mark on IronGarm in some form or fashion.

There was some really good stuff in those early MSN versions of IGx. I think if I had to pick one person I miss the most it would be Jack. He was just awesome. Garm would be a close second. It would be great if they both came back.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

I admit, Old uncle Garm was refreshing. Even here, not a lot of folks call out the bullshit, but he never had an issue with doing so.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Plus, he was unrepentant in that he liked peeing on chicks and had a voyeur kink

Post by ___________ »

What's wrong with a little hate?

Happy, you're forgetting I'm an OG too.
Probably the youngest OG on the board as well.

Pinky
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Pinky »

High Velocity Lie-Nap! wrote:Garm, Warped, Dave and Mario all have filled one of the most thankless 'hobby' roles there is....moderating this place and its predecessors.
We also had Lich hosting the site from Germany after Garm parted ways with the Chinese. This was when Doughboy was banned for attacking the server based on the German company telling Lich the attack came from his IP address. Then it turned out that the IP address simply pointed to somewhere in the midwest.
"The biggest problems that we’re facing right now have to do with George Bush trying to bring more and more power into the executive branch and not go through Congress at all."

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil »

I liked Lich. I wonder what he's up to nowadays?