James Foley..

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Batboy2/75
Starship Trooper

James Foley..

Post by Batboy2/75 »

..died a coward.

Sorry to if it offends you, but if you were handcuffed, forced onto your knees and you knew you were about to die; would you just go out like some stupid cow?

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/k ... -1.1909374

Contrast this with how Fabrizio Quattrocchi decided to go out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fabrizio_Quattrocchi

"Vi faccio vedere come muore un Italiano!"
Arms are the only true badge of liberty. The possession of arms is the distinction of the free man from the slave.

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Re: James Foley..

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

For the guys they plan on doing publicly, I've heard that they do dozens of dry runs over weeks with mock executions where the captive is punished for non-compliance.

If true, it's likely he didn't know he was about to die. He thought he was about to get tortured again for not reading the words, or given a sandwich for doing it right.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

Tirofijo
Sarge

Post by Tirofijo »

I didn't watch this one, but some victims of previous beheadings appeared to have been drugged.

(Plus, what Spell's said.)

Topic author
Batboy2/75
Starship Trooper

Post by Batboy2/75 »

Grandpa's Spells wrote:For the guys they plan on doing publicly, I've heard that they do dozens of dry runs over weeks with mock executions where the captive is punished for non-compliance.

If true, it's likely he didn't know he was about to die. He thought he was about to get tortured again for not reading the words, or given a sandwich for doing it right.
Sorry, assume you are going to die when in the hands of Al-Queda and ISIS.

Also, if his entire speech was scripted for him, there are some VERY VERY BIG warning signs in the script that things were going to end badly.
Arms are the only true badge of liberty. The possession of arms is the distinction of the free man from the slave.

Kazuya Mishima
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

Batboy2/75 wrote:..died a coward.

Sorry to if it offends you, but if you were handcuffed, forced onto your knees and you knew you were about to die; would you just go out like some stupid cow?

I understand where you're coming from, but I think calling him a coward is a bit of a dick move.

I was thinking along these lines yesterday when I saw the same article. How would I go out? Take it with quiet dignity, or go full nerd rage and see how many I could take with me (probably none)?

In the one photo it looks like he knew it was coming...seems like he was bracing himself for the cut. Hard to imagine.

There is no horror that can be imagined that the human species has not carried out at one time or another. Difficult to fathom just how cold and heartless some people can allow themselves to become. And for what? The glory of their imaginary sky father. Religion...pffffttttt.

Topic author
Batboy2/75
Starship Trooper

Post by Batboy2/75 »

Kazuya Mishima wrote:
Batboy2/75 wrote:..died a coward.

I understand where you're coming from, but I think calling him a coward is a bit of a dick move.

I was thinking along these lines yesterday when I saw the same article. How would I go out? Take it with quiet dignity, or go full nerd rage and see how many I could take with me (probably none)?

In the one photo it looks like he knew it was coming...seems like he was bracing himself for the cut. Hard to imagine.

There is no horror that can be imagined that the human species has not carried out at one time or another. Difficult to fathom just how cold and heartless some people can allow themselves to become. And for what? The glory of their imaginary sky father. Religion...pffffttttt.
Sorry, the answer is to resist. Who cares about taking anyone out? You are going to die, let your captors know you defied them to the end. Even if the video never makes the light of day. At least you'll know and your captors will know. Defiance doesn't have to be some Hollywood blood bath.

Foley (at best) will be remembered as a victim; nothing more and nothing less. Frabrizo on the other hand will be remembered as a man with some stones. A man that chose to go out with dignity. Something tells me old Frabrizo would have been long dead before anyone got him to read the script Foley did.

Jay

Post by Jay »

calling a guy a coward for that?

not comply and get tortured again most likely or comply?

It is real easy to sit here and say you will resist but when you have savages like ISIS behind you, you may have your balls cut off and fed to you and left to die bleeding out. Death is a better choice than torture for most people.

The civilized world knows those people are lunatics, whether he said fuck America or fuck you changes nothing, they still executed a journalist.

The savagery of those people knows no bounds it seems, it is amazing what they do in the name of Allah.

Jay

Post by Jay »

Topic author
Batboy2/75
Starship Trooper

Post by Batboy2/75 »

Jay wrote:calling a guy a coward for that?

not comply and get tortured again most likely or comply?

It is real easy to sit here and say you will resist but when you have savages like ISIS behind you, you may have your balls cut off and fed to you and left to die bleeding out. Death is a better choice than torture for most people.

The civilized world knows those people are lunatics, whether he said fuck America or fuck you changes nothing, they still executed a journalist.

The savagery of those people knows no bounds it seems, it is amazing what they do in the name of Allah.

We are talking about how you are going to die. In general, unless you happened to get rescued or are a deserter, you are going to die in the hands of Al-Qaeda or ISIS. Nor am I talking about making some grand political statement or expecting the video to be distributed.

At that point and time out in the Desert of Iraq or Syria, you are going to die. All one has to do is read that script they wanted and made Foley read. If given that script and given who your captors are, your only conclusion is they are going to execute you. At that point in time, it's time to make peace with that fact and move onto how you are going to die.

Topic author
Batboy2/75
Starship Trooper

Post by Batboy2/75 »

Apparently a fool, as well as a coward.

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

He was taken in 2012 before ISIS was around. I doubt his captors did anything other than give him hope that he'd be fine as long as he played ball. They don't wear "we're the guys who behead people" t-shirts, or let him read the news about insane new Islamist organizations.

You have no idea what the guy went through, but as always, not knowing anything doesn't stop you from having comically strong opinions.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious »

The British government has started the hunt for the executioner of American reporter James Foley. Foley was killed by beheading and the video of the tragic act was publicly issued by ISIL-run media outlet AlFurqan. Today, the White House authenticated the video and confirmed Foley's murder.

Prime Minister David Cameron cut his vacation short after just a day of rest to address the situation in Iraq following the discovery of the video, and the belief that the man responsible could be a British citizen. Cameron is working with foreign secretary Philip Hammond to investigate. The executioner in the video was identified as British by his distinct South East/Greater London accent.
http://news.yahoo.com/james-foleys-exec ... 55389.html
Apparently he wasn't dealing with one of the Four Lions.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

A bit of SERE training and an attitude of resistance would have helped. It took balls to go over there in the first place, though. Sucked to be him.
Don’t believe everything you think.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now »

I don't think journalists get SERE training, eh?

Topic author
Batboy2/75
Starship Trooper

Post by Batboy2/75 »

Grandpa's Spells wrote:He was taken in 2012 before ISIS was around. I doubt his captors did anything other than give him hope that he'd be fine as long as he played ball. They don't wear "we're the guys who behead people" t-shirts, or let him read the news about insane new Islamist organizations.

You have no idea what the guy went through, but as always, not knowing anything doesn't stop you from having comically strong opinions.
Want to compare resumes; I have a much better idea of what he went through than you ever will.

The only thing comical is your faith that Islamist play by western rules and or norms. That cooperating and hoping for the best will save you.

As for anyone traveling to a third world hot spot (Particularly with the intention of being in the thick of the action), it might behoove you to get your mind straight on who the local people are and what they are capable of. Then go out and get some training. Having a plate carrier (with press written across it) can not be your only plan. It might be a good idea for journalist (that plan on visiting the places Foley visited) to get some SERE type training.
Last edited by Batboy2/75 on Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

buckethead
Sergeant Commanding

Post by buckethead »

Batboy2/75 wrote:Want to compare resumes;
STROY:
- 1995-2000: Rothschild Bartholomew Private School Of Eliteness, Cum Laude
- 2000-2005: Ambiguously Gay
- 2006-2014: Published Excel Drawing Artist

Batboy:
- 1996-1997: Operational special forces
- 1998-2014: Exalted Minister of the United States of the Deluded and Romantic Stoics
- 1998-2014: Server, McDonalds

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

buckethead wrote:
STROY:

Batboy:
- 1998-2014: Exalted Minister of the United States of the Deluded and Romantic Stoics
Sure, use my LinkedIn page against me.

Topic author
Batboy2/75
Starship Trooper

Post by Batboy2/75 »

buckethead wrote:
STROY:

Batboy:
Other than messing up the time line and key dates, you forgot penguin wrangler; amongst other weird jobs. Nor have I ever worked at Mc Donald. However, I did work as a waiter at a Catholic Church bingo hall. We served nothing but fast food items, so guess that counts.

The key is attendance at the JFK Special Warfare Center for SERE School and the dozens + briefing I attended while a member of the 75th Ranger Regiment where we were told what we could expect if Islamic Jihadist got their hands on us.

tough old man
Sergeant Commanding

Post by tough old man »

You always resist. Show a fight until the end. I would have rather been gunned down fighting.

I worked a shift at McDonalds once. It ended badly.
"I am the author of my own misfortune, I don't need a ghost writer" - Ian Dury

"Legio mihi nomen est, quia multi sumus."

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates »

I'm too old for SERE but I'd love to do a week long survival school.
Southern Hospitality Is Aggressive Hospitality

Gene
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Gene »

The US should do what the Russians did in Libya when four of their diplomats were kidnapped. One was shot, the others were threatened.

Russians had their friends point out the leadership of the terrorists. They found a few of their male relatives. Captured them. Sliced off their balls. Sent the balls to the terrorist leaders. The three diplomats were released.

People fuck with us because we put up with it.
Don't like yourself too much.

Holy Cow

Post by Holy Cow »

This guy is a hero, and he was a consummate professional; had a good head for journalism.

Jay

Post by Jay »

Holy Cow wrote:This guy is a hero, and he was a consummate professional; had a good head for journalism.
He was also an Islam sympathizer and from what his tweets look like, very on the side of the Syrian rebels.... so if he had a good head, he would have known they were radical as hell.

Moral of the story? ISIS doesn't care if you sympathize with them or not, they will do what they do without a fuck given.
Last edited by Jay on Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

buckethead
Sergeant Commanding

Post by buckethead »

Jay not into word play

Jay

Post by Jay »

buckethead wrote:Jay not into word play
Jay is also in a carb coma and is temporarily stupid so it took me a while, dammit
Last edited by Jay on Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.