SEAL speaking out. Shitbag or Hero?!

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
buckethead
Sergeant Commanding

SEAL speaking out. Shitbag or Hero?!

Post by buckethead »

The Navy SEAL who shot Osama bin Laden dead in the special force's most famous operation can be named today.
The Navy hero is set to give a full interview to Fox News later this month and waive his anonymity but MailOnline has established that he is Rob O'Neill, a highly-decorated veteran who quit after 16 years service.

O'Neill's decision to speak out was prompted by losing some of his military benefits by quitting the SEALs after 16 years rather than staying for a full 20 years of service.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... roles.html

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Re: SEAL speaking out. Shitbag or Hero?!

Post by nafod »

buckethead wrote:
The Navy SEAL who shot Osama bin Laden dead in the special force's most famous operation can be named today.
The Navy hero is set to give a full interview to Fox News later this month and waive his anonymity but MailOnline has established that he is Rob O'Neill, a highly-decorated veteran who quit after 16 years service.

O'Neill's decision to speak out was prompted by losing some of his military benefits by quitting the SEALs after 16 years rather than staying for a full 20 years of service.
Dude could have taken a slack job for 4 more years in a training/instructor capacity or a million other billets and then cashed in with a lifetime's retirement. Pretty dumb in that regard.
Don’t believe everything you think.

ccrow
Gunny

Post by ccrow »

This kind of thing takes the class out of classified.
But when I stand in front of the mirror and really look, I wonder: What the fuck happened here? Jesus Christ. What a beating!

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

buckethead wrote:

We covered this a few months back I believe. He didn't "lose" benefits, he didn't stay long enough to earn them. If he really did sign something saying he couldn't reveal state secrets, he should be prosecuted.

Other reasons he's given for coming forward:
O’Neill said he confirmed his decision to go public after a private encounter with relatives of victims of the Sept. 11, 2001, attack on New York’s World Trade Center. During an emotional meeting with victims’ family members before the recent opening of the National September 11 Memorial Museum, the former SEAL decided spontaneously to talk about how bin Laden met his end.

“The families told me it helped bring them some closure,” said O’Neill, whose identity as the shooter was independently corroborated for The Post by two SEAL team members.
Over the course of several meetings with The Post, O’Neill said he decided to go public after becoming convinced that his identity was about to be leaked by others.
Apparently his teammates are pretty pissed. Fuck this guy.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now »

He's going public now because he can cash in now. 4 years from now? Probably but maybe not as much

RottenFace
Gunny

Post by RottenFace »

He is an asshole. This or versions of this (albeit on a smaller scale) have been happening since the war(s) kicked off 13 year ago. Here is the timeline:
-Dude signs up
-Dude goes to war and "sees some shit."
-Dude experiences real or conveniently manufactured PTSD
-Dude writes a book
-Fifteen minutes of fame
-36 minutes of fame if there is an associated movie deal or HBO mini-series
-A few articles in Foreign Policy or some other rag based on "boots on the deck experience"
-The end

While all of this is going on, thousands of WWII vets are rolling over in their graves in Arlington, wondering when the military turned into a bunch of babies who need to pursue book deals just because they did a job. Because at the end of the day, when you strip all the rah rah BS away and call it what it is, the military is a job. We who do it sign up for some reason, and stick around either because we like it, or for the benefits, or because its better than where we came from.

Many men and some women have done some heroic shit over the last decade, but in my opinion there is a pervasive attitude of entitlement that is eating the military from the inside out. Guys like this heroic jackoff highlight the worst, in my opinion. "Look at me guys!!! I'm an American hero because I did the job that I was paid to do! LOVE ME!!!"

powerlifter54
Sergeant Commanding

Post by powerlifter54 »

What is his Fran Time?
"Start slowly, then ease off". Tortuga Golden Striders Running Club, Pensacola 1984.

"But even snake wrestling beats life in the cube, for me at least. In measured doses."-Lex

Kazuya Mishima
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

RottenFace wrote:He is an asshole. This or versions of this (albeit on a smaller scale) have been happening since the war(s) kicked off 13 year ago. Here is the timeline:
-Dude signs up
-Dude writes a book
-Fifteen minutes of fame
-A few articles in Foreign Policy or some other rag based on "boots on the deck experience"
-The end

While all of this is going on, thousands of WWII vets are rolling over in their graves in Arlington, wondering when the military turned into a bunch of babies who need to pursue book deals just because they did a job. Because at the end of the day, when you strip all the rah rah BS away and call it what it is, the military is a job. We who do it sign up for some reason, and stick around either because we like it, or for the benefits, or because its better than where we came from.

Many men and some women have done some heroic shit over the last decade, but in my opinion there is a pervasive attitude of entitlement that is eating the military from the inside out. Guys like this heroic jackoff highlight the worst, in my opinion. "Look at me guys!!! I'm an American hero because I did the job that I was paid to do! LOVE ME!!!"
=D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

DrDonkeyLove
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DrDonkeyLove »

I think it's possible to be both a shitbag and a hero.

I'm not qualified to judge this guy but I thank him and everyone else involved in killing that camel hemorrhoid bin Laden...and all the bin Laden wannabe killers too.
Mao wrote:Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party

Beer Jew
Sgt. Major

Post by Beer Jew »

RottenFace wrote:He is an asshole. This or versions of this (albeit on a smaller scale) have been happening since the war(s) kicked off 13 year ago. Here is the timeline:
-Dude signs up
-Dude writes a book
-Fifteen minutes of fame
-The end

So no one should gain publicity, fame, adoration or attention through their job? Surely that's the basis of celebrity? Or any job in the media? Or anyone who's good enough at their job to cash in on it.

If the guy broke some form of contract by speaking out then he should be prosecuted.

If not, he has as much right as the next person to speak about what he does. Would you rather vapeous celebrities gain attention through mindless drivel, or that a highly decorated soldier gains some public recognition for what he's done for the country?

seeahill
Font of All Wisdom, God Damn it

Post by seeahill »

Hero when he shot the prick. Shitbag to tell us about it. But. Peeks and valleys: that's a career. Just don't be caught forever in the valley.

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Protobuilder »

One of my scout masters was a former SEAL. I also knew both his kids, slept over at his house, etc and knew that he was former military but didn't know the SEAL part until I was in university. (Honestly, I'm not sure that I would have known what a SEAL was when I was young.) When I asked him why he never told anybody he said it was a private part of his life though he added that I knew at least one other SEAL when I was growing up. I always thought it was cool that they were part of a club that was so secretive that they didn't even tell people about it.

Now, apparently, the club is simply a stepping stone for your book or pitch for a TV movie. If the guy wasn't contractually obligated not to share, he's doing nothing wrong but it feels different.
WildGorillaMan wrote:Enthusiasm combined with no skill whatsoever can sometimes carry the day.

terra

Post by terra »

seeahill wrote:Hero when he shot the prick. Shitbag to tell us about it.
So you are saying that doing extraordinary things in far off places is ok, but when you spray about it to gain fame and profit you're a shitbag?
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious »

Legal contracts are one thing. This is another (see lines 5 & 7 in paragraph 2):

"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Protobuilder »

Turdacious wrote:Legal contracts are one thing. This is another (see lines 5 & 7 in paragraph 2):

LOL!
WildGorillaMan wrote:Enthusiasm combined with no skill whatsoever can sometimes carry the day.

RottenFace
Gunny

Post by RottenFace »

Beer Jew wrote: So no one should gain publicity, fame, adoration or attention through their job? Surely that's the basis of celebrity? Or any job in the media? Or anyone who's good enough at their job to cash in on it.
And this is a perfect example of the attitude that I'm talking about. Military service, specifically special operations service is not about publicity, fame, or cashing in. Its not the free market, its not about being interviewed by Fox and Friends, its not even about what the individual warfighter feels about the war he is waging.

Its about quiet, sturdy professionalism, and being ready when the nation is least ready. Its about loyalty to your buddy, the troops you lead, and the mission. Its not about you.

In my current job (regular infantry guys teaching the next generation of regular infantry guys) I am surrounded on all sides by genuine war heroes. What makes them my personal heroes is that not one of these guys have told me about their exploits, many of which could rate their own book or action movie. In every case someone else has told me. With dudes like this as my personal example for how to conduct myself, I can't help but feel contempt for this SEAL.

Dux
Sgt. Major

Post by Dux »

RottenFace wrote: Its about quiet, sturdy professionalism, and being ready when the nation is least ready. Its about loyalty to your buddy, the troops you lead, and the mission. Its not about you.
"Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscripti catapultas habebunt "

ccrow
Gunny

Post by ccrow »

RottenFace wrote:
Beer Jew wrote: So no one should gain publicity, fame, adoration or attention through their job? Surely that's the basis of celebrity? Or any job in the media? Or anyone who's good enough at their job to cash in on it.
And this is a perfect example of the attitude that I'm talking about. Military service, specifically special operations service is not about publicity, fame, or cashing in. Its not the free market, its not about being interviewed by Fox and Friends, its not even about what the individual warfighter feels about the war he is waging.

Its about quiet, sturdy professionalism, and being ready when the nation is least ready. Its about loyalty to your buddy, the troops you lead, and the mission. Its not about you.

In my current job (regular infantry guys teaching the next generation of regular infantry guys) I am surrounded on all sides by genuine war heroes. What makes them my personal heroes is that not one of these guys have told me about their exploits, many of which could rate their own book or action movie. In every case someone else has told me. With dudes like this as my personal example for how to conduct myself, I can't help but feel contempt for this SEAL.
Very Well Put.
But when I stand in front of the mirror and really look, I wonder: What the fuck happened here? Jesus Christ. What a beating!

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates »

Rottenface is fucking GOLD!

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge »

You don't here much of this from the Delta boys. I'm gonna give the guy who wrote "Kill Bin Laden" a break since that was a compelling story. And Eric Haney gets a break just cuz.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

Another former member of ST-6 telling their story. Transgender sister of the brotherhood, retired Senior Chief.

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/transgend ... d=23716314
Don’t believe everything you think.

Lewis Medlock
Staff Sergeant

Post by Lewis Medlock »

It is not to right judge him. The guys who do not talk good for them, so. What is super sad to me is that the guys he stood next to and was ready to kill or be killed for, have shit on him. fuck that weak shit. Any man that stood next to me and was willing to kill for me will always be my brother. That is how I look at it so fuck the squeals. How many seals that are around 35 years old to 50 years old first thought of being seals because of Marcinko.

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno »

http://www.theonion.com/articles/navy-f ... :1:Default

WASHINGTON—Describing the group as one of the most advanced and highly skilled special operations units in the world, sources within the Defense Department revealed Friday that the U.S. Navy had formed an elite new SEAL team dedicated solely to writing best-selling tell-all books.

Speaking on condition of anonymity, sources confirmed that the task force was created earlier this year and that its members have undergone extensive training to prepare them to quickly and efficiently release popular accounts of covert operations in the War on Terror.
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

W.B. Yeats

dingleberry
Manpussy Apprentice

Post by dingleberry »

In cases of war, bar fights, fires or any other cool shit; it is better to let someone else tell everybody how badass you were/are than to tell your own story.
nafod wrote:I do find I am spending more and more time in the bathroom in the morning, just staring at myself and wondering if I am pretty.

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

The Onion crushing it.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.