H-1B Abuse Redux (Nappy & IT Types)

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
DrDonkeyLove
Sergeant Commanding

H-1B Abuse Redux (Nappy & IT Types)

Post by DrDonkeyLove »

We've discussed this before and the IT knowledgeable consensus here was that it was about very specific skills that H-1B workers had that US workers lacked causing the replacement of Amurikkan IT workers with foreigners.

This feels like robber baron shit. Why can't Disney train it's existing workforce?

I already hate that fucking mouse with a passion and I hate displacing American workers just as much. Prof. Matloff of USC says it's all about the $$ and hiring workers who lack the freedom to change jobs.

Am I wrong here?

From The Daily Caller. Other articles here and here
Disney, Southern California Edison and most recently Fossil Group have together fired hundreds of American tech workers and forced them to train their foreign replacements, many of whom were flown in specifically to take their job.

“You had me here one day, and the next day you had an Indian worker at a lower skill level sitting at my desk,” one of the hundreds of tech workers who Disney recently fired told The Daily Caller News Foundation.

He and hundreds of his fellow “Cast Members” were informed last October they were being replaced by a foreign work force, and they could either stick around for 90 days and train their replacements — with a good attitude — or leave immediately and forego their severance packages.

About a month before Disney broke the news, this worker got the very highest rating you can get from management in a performance review, received a raise and was told to expect a promotion. And just a week or two before the announcement, Disney announced record-breaking profits for the company.

The office was soon flooded with the foreign workers, most of whom were fresh out of college. In the first phase, the foreign worker sat next to the American worker in “knowledge transfer sessions,” and videotaped everything they said and did, and then reviewed the tapes with the American worker to ensure accuracy.

“It’s basically a quest for cheap labor,” Norm Matloff, a computer science professor at the University of California Davis, told TheDCNF. “The abuse of H-1B pervades the entire industry. They all could find American workers if they wanted to, but they want cheap labor and they want immobile labor.”

“Its only purpose is to please the corporate interests that are very heavy campaign contributors,” he added. “That is literally the bottom line.”
Mao wrote:Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party

Kazuya Mishima
Sergeant Commanding

Re: H-1B Abuse Redux (Nappy & IT Types)

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

Nothing to see here...go back to sleep, Goyim.

Pinky
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Pinky »

DrDonkeyLove wrote:We've discussed this before and the IT knowledgeable consensus here was that it was about very specific skills that H-1B workers had that US workers lacked causing the replacement of Amurikkan IT workers with foreigners.

This feels like robber baron shit.
It should feel like members of a well-paid occupation lobbying for special protection that fucks over the rest of the country.
"The biggest problems that we’re facing right now have to do with George Bush trying to bring more and more power into the executive branch and not go through Congress at all."

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TerryB »

When manufacturing died, we were told it was good for the workers because it pushed them to evolve into white collar and knowledge-base jobs, like tech.

Now those tech guys can evolve to the next level. Perhaps medicine or politics.
"Know that! & Know it deep you fucking loser!"

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Protobuilder »

E2>200 wrote:When manufacturing died, we were told it was good for the workers because it pushed them to evolve into white collar and knowledge-base jobs, like tech.

Now those tech guys can evolve to the next level. Perhaps medicine or politics.
We are a step away from full enlightenment where the country is a nation of bloggers with law degrees.
WildGorillaMan wrote:Enthusiasm combined with no skill whatsoever can sometimes carry the day.

bennyonesix
Sgt. Major

Post by bennyonesix »

Better than them creating bullshit controversies to sue over.

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TerryB »

When will B16 evolve into a low level, warehouse worker in dirty jeans?

bennyonesix
Sgt. Major

Post by bennyonesix »

When all my bad karma is worked off.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QP3JOJ-2VtU[/youtube]

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Protobuilder »

E2>200 wrote:When will B16 evolve into a low level, warehouse worker in dirty jeans?
Nobody does that better than America, m8.

WildGorillaMan wrote:Enthusiasm combined with no skill whatsoever can sometimes carry the day.

Topic author
DrDonkeyLove
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DrDonkeyLove »

Pinky wrote:
DrDonkeyLove wrote:We've discussed this before and the IT knowledgeable consensus here was that it was about very specific skills that H-1B workers had that US workers lacked causing the replacement of Amurikkan IT workers with foreigners.

This feels like robber baron shit.
It should feel like members of a well-paid occupation lobbying for special protection that fucks over the rest of the country.
Carried to an extreme, but not inconceivable, conclusion, our friends at the top of the Republicrat party can get creative with H-1B policies to substantially trim the wages of all kinds of well-paid American workers with foreign indentured servants just like Disney.

And, how is Bob Iger and friends un-fucking over the rest of the country by firing these greedy IT professionals? Is he going to pass on the savings to the customer via lower prices? LOL x infinity.

BTW, Mr. Iger can do whatever he wants that's legal. I just say fuck him, he can't have any more of my money.
Mao wrote:Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party

The Venerable Bogatir X
Supreme Martian Overlord

Post by The Venerable Bogatir X »

This feels like robber baron shit. Why can't Disney train it's existing workforce?

I already hate that fucking mouse with a passion and I hate displacing American workers just as much. Prof. Matloff of USC says it's all about the $$ and hiring workers who lack the freedom to change jobs.

Am I wrong here?

From The Daily Caller. Other articles here and here
Disney, Southern California Edison and most recently Fossil Group have together fired hundreds of American tech workers and forced them to train their foreign replacements, many of whom were flown in specifically to take their job.

“You had me here one day, and the next day you had an Indian worker at a lower skill level sitting at my desk,” one of the hundreds of tech workers who Disney recently fired told The Daily Caller News Foundation.

He and hundreds of his fellow “Cast Members” were informed last October they were being replaced by a foreign work force, and they could either stick around for 90 days and train their replacements — with a good attitude — or leave immediately and forego their severance packages.

About a month before Disney broke the news, this worker got the very highest rating you can get from management in a performance review, received a raise and was told to expect a promotion. And just a week or two before the announcement, Disney announced record-breaking profits for the company.

The office was soon flooded with the foreign workers, most of whom were fresh out of college. In the first phase, the foreign worker sat next to the American worker in “knowledge transfer sessions,” and videotaped everything they said and did, and then reviewed the tapes with the American worker to ensure accuracy.

“It’s basically a quest for cheap labor,” Norm Matloff, a computer science professor at the University of California Davis, told TheDCNF. “The abuse of H-1B pervades the entire industry. They all could find American workers if they wanted to, but they want cheap labor and they want immobile labor.”

“Its only purpose is to please the corporate interests that are very heavy campaign contributors,” he added. “That is literally the bottom line.”
Again, they're not 'taking the jobs', but the jobs are absolutely being outsourced for cost savings in this instance (meaning, they're not Disney employees, but likely Wipro, CTS, Tata, Accenture, something like that. Disney is NOT sponsoring those H1's, so the professor is being a little misleading). To be clear, I'm not supportive of this, but I also think there are many bigger things to complain about in the labor market. Also, it's not the type of work I do when I *have to* engage H1's due to a lack of qualified talent.

Pinky
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Pinky »

DDL,
If companies are going to hire foreign labor to do these jobs (and they are), would you rather the workers and their families pay taxes and buy stuff here or in whatever country they came from?
"The biggest problems that we’re facing right now have to do with George Bush trying to bring more and more power into the executive branch and not go through Congress at all."

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

Pinky wrote:DDL,
If companies are going to hire foreign labor to do these jobs (and they are), would you rather the workers and their families pay taxes and buy stuff here or in whatever country they came from?
This is a false binary choice.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

The Venerable Bogatir X
Supreme Martian Overlord

Agreed. There are so many unmeasurable and intangible reasons for having them sit here vs. over there: people who go through the H1B process crave becoming a GCH or citizen of the USA. They pay taxes, they *never* commit crime, they pay their bills, and while they keep their cultural identity, most of the smarter ones work hard at integrating with America vs. force feeding their culture and beliefs on Americans. Not saying they're perfect, but we have pockets of 'cultures' in the US that don't step up to that level at all.

From the operational side, business can better ensure the quality of work being performed with onshore vs. offshore, because when they outsource QA is absolutely an issue in IT.

Stillwater
Staff Sergeant

Post by Stillwater »

Heard a story about a frim that had some H1B guys from Mexico. Apparently there's a fairly good tech school there. Anyway, their wives had degrees too but couldn't get visa's because their husbands had them. The firm got them jobs with a Mexican outfit doing the same job as as the husbands. The drive to the same office every morning and the wives "telecommute" to Mexico via VPN.
Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. - Helen Keller

The Venerable Bogatir X
Supreme Martian Overlord

Gopal and Vanya tied as spelling bee champs. One from Misery, the other from Kansasss. I suspect their parents were H1's at some point. Just thought I would throw that in for giggles.

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TerryB »

I think it was Michael Savage who said, kids come here from India and in a few years they're winning spelling bees, yet we spend billions (literally) on inner city schools and the kids still can't do shit.

Topic author
DrDonkeyLove
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DrDonkeyLove »

The Venerable Bogatir X wrote:
Agreed. There are so many unmeasurable and intangible reasons for having them sit here vs. over there: people who go through the H1B process crave becoming a GCH or citizen of the USA. They pay taxes, they *never* commit crime, they pay their bills, and while they keep their cultural identity, most of the smarter ones work hard at integrating with America vs. force feeding their culture and beliefs on Americans. Not saying they're perfect, but we have pockets of 'cultures' in the US that don't step up to that level at all.

From the operational side, business can better ensure the quality of work being performed with onshore vs. offshore, because when they outsource QA is absolutely an issue in IT.
I welcome our new H-1B neighbors from India. They are exactly the type of people we need in the US: smart, motivated, family centric and dynamic believers in the American dream.

However, Iger's treatment of his existing workforce is despicable. And, his new workforce is one step above indentured servants. If they get sick of slaving for the Mouse and try to get some upward mobility, their H-1B is in jeopardy.

I'm not economics knowledgeable enough to know the net economic positives to the US accrued by the new lower paid employees vs. the negatives of the released employees unemployment compensation, savings depletion, food stamps, etc. All of that is too speculative for me.

I do know that Iger did a dick move to loyal "cast members" and I hope many thousands of people reconsider where they spend their entertainment dollar. I will.

The Venerable Bogatir X
Supreme Martian Overlord

Is Disney sponsoring the H1's or is it a vendor? (and perhaps a third party and layers beyond that)

bennyonesix
Sgt. Major

Post by bennyonesix »

Is this H1-B issue a long term issue or will technology render it irrelevant?

Topic author
DrDonkeyLove
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DrDonkeyLove »

The Venerable Bogatir X wrote:Is Disney sponsoring the H1's or is it a vendor? (and perhaps a third party and layers beyond that)
To my understanding it's a vendor of some kind and they are the controllers of the H-1B. If any of our new indentured servants get too uppity, it's back to Bangalore for you Babu.

I was wondering why we haven't heard from the top of the progressive left on this. Where's Hillary, Elizabeth Warren, Nancy Pelosi, George Clooney (star of Tomorrowland) or the Ossiah himself? After all, if the evil Koch brothers did this, it would be an outrage. Isn't Disney also held to corporate accountability for the way it treats its valued cast members?

So I did a little research. Abigail Disney (daughter of Roy Disney and net worth reported to be $500,000,000) donated somewhere between $100,001 and $250,000 to the Clinton foundation. And, according to Open Secrets the Disney mega-Mouse donates tons of $$$$$$ to Democrat & liberal causes.

They're all for the little guy until until a big donor decides to fuck the little guy to make more money off of a littler guy.

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TerryB »

I'm going to Disney because I am in the 1% and give no fucks about the losers working in their corporate offices

The Venerable Bogatir X
Supreme Martian Overlord

DrDonkeyLove wrote:
The Venerable Bogatir X wrote:Is Disney sponsoring the H1's or is it a vendor? (and perhaps a third party and layers beyond that)
To my understanding it's a vendor of some kind and they are the controllers of the H-1B. If any of our new indentured servants get too uppity, it's back to Bangalore for you Babu.
OK, I assumed this. DDL this is absolutely nothing new.

Topic author
DrDonkeyLove
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DrDonkeyLove »

The Venerable Bogatir X wrote:
DrDonkeyLove wrote:
OK, I assumed this. DDL this is absolutely nothing new.
I was behind the curve on this but have something new to hate which is a positive for me. I was becoming too mellow.