Jumping off the 10 meter tower

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
nafod
Lifetime IGer

Jumping off the 10 meter tower

Post by nafod »

Really cool video. The lady at 7:05 is my favorite.

https://nyti.ms/2jRsCub
Don’t believe everything you think.

powerlifter54
Sergeant Commanding

Re: Jumping off the 10 meter tower

Post by powerlifter54 »

Boat school graduation requirement. Female black classmate decided she wasn't up for it.

Waived.

Not my favorite experience. But better than 1 mile flight suit swim.
"Start slowly, then ease off". Tortuga Golden Striders Running Club, Pensacola 1984.

"But even snake wrestling beats life in the cube, for me at least. In measured doses."-Lex

buckethead
Sergeant Commanding

Post by buckethead »

That was captivating. I was rooting for them more than I ever rooted for the Broncos.

Interesting psychology. At Navy, peer pressure made 90% of us spend less than 10 seconds on the platform. I'd bet it would have a similar effect on these people

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno »

Reminded me a little of airborne operations, except for all the thinking about it. Because of my big gun, I got to "stand in the door" and be the first one out for many of my jumps...just a gas. But had I ever hesitated, the jump master would have put his foot in my ass, because he had a whole lot more Rangers to put on the DZ.
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

W.B. Yeats

climber511
Gunny

Post by climber511 »

Overall the girls had more guts than the guys. Some of those boys were just chicken shits. And the old gal pulled it together and got it done !

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno »

These days it's pretty much a requirement: the girls do everything boys can do, only better.

W.B. Yeats

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma »

johno wrote:These days it's pretty much a requirement: the girls do everything boys can do, only better.
The adage of the feminised society. Complete bullshit of course.

Tirofijo
Sarge

Post by Tirofijo »

johno wrote:Reminded me a little of airborne operations, except for all the thinking about it. Because of my big gun, I got to "stand in the door" and be the first one out for many of my jumps...just a gas. But had I ever hesitated, the jump master would have put his foot in my ass, because he had a whole lot more Rangers to put on the DZ.
Fun fact: most jump refusals are from Blackhawks. When jumping a UH-60, jumpers sit in the door with their feet dangling outside and 'jump' by scooching off. They have a full view.

When jumping the door of a C-130 (a much more common jump), only the lead jumper 'in the door' can see anything. The rest of the jumpers are cramped up and can only see the back of the head the jumper in front of them. Once the jumpmaster says go, there's no time to think or look around and decide if its a good idea or not.

bennyonesix
Sgt. Major

Post by bennyonesix »

Sangoma wrote:
johno wrote:These days it's pretty much a requirement: the girls do everything boys can do, only better.
Yeah this is not true of any aspect of society I have been involved in.

But I know nothing of the military and it is theoretically possible that is the one area where they exceed male accomplishment.

Bobby
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bobby »

bennyonesix wrote:
Sangoma wrote:
Yeah this is not true of any aspect of society I have been involved in.

But I know nothing of the military and it is theoretically possible that is the one area where they exceed male accomplishment.
Well,the females did look better in the shower in Starship Troopers.....
You`ll toughen up.Unless you have a serious medical condition commonly refered to as
"being a pussy".

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno »

Tirofijo wrote: Fun fact: most jump refusals are from Blackhawks. When jumping a UH-60, jumpers sit in the door with their feet dangling outside and 'jump' by scooching off. They have a full view.
That makes sense.
Tirofijo wrote:When jumping the door of a C-130 (a much more common jump), only the lead jumper 'in the door' can see anything. The rest of the jumpers are cramped up and can only see the back of the head the jumper in front of them. Once the jumpmaster says go, there's no time to think or look around and decide if its a good idea or not.
Yep. And even if you wanted to refuse, the jumper behind you would probably run you right out the door.

As a 90 gunner, I was the Bundle Chaser, so I could land close to the bundle that held my gun & ammo. So I got that "in the door" position, and an incredible view as we approached the DZ.

Watching the vid, I imagined how I would approach the jump. I think I would just walk off immediately. No thinking about.

W.B. Yeats