This website is unusable

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

This website is unusable

Post by Fat Cat »

Guys, I'm reaching the end of my rope with regard to IGX.

Again it's been offline for a week.

Again the participation is at a nadir.

Again, nothing seems to change.

Unless we can figure a way to get more participation and better reliability, I can't see continuing this way.
"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Re: This website is unusable

Post by Bram »

Eh.

I'm used to it at this point.

I write workouts on my computer when the site is down, then upload the notes to my training journal when the site is back.

And I start threads and try to keep them going if there is an interesting discussion to be had.

----

This is the only place besides Facebook where I know anyone who believes in Q-Anon, I would hate to lose that!

:isdashit:
"An adventurer comes back and tells you what they did, while an explorer comes back and tells you what they learned."

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

Yeah, respecting the fact that people are donating time to keep it up and running, week-long outages that happen a few times a year isn't tenable. I would prefer we actively hire somebody to keep things up and running (a phpbb2 admin who we can ping when things are down and puts it back up immediately in exchange for $), or move to a managed platform.

I still find value but the long outages are just super grating.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

Topic author
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

Bram wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:17 pm This is the only place besides Facebook where I know anyone who believes in Q-Anon, I would hate to lose that!
Who?
"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen

Topic author
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

Grandpa's Spells wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:17 pm Yeah, respecting the fact that people are donating time to keep it up and running, week-long outages that happen a few times a year isn't tenable. I would prefer we actively hire somebody to keep things up and running (a phpbb2 admin who we can ping when things are down and puts it back up immediately in exchange for $), or move to a managed platform.

I still find value but the long outages are just super grating.
I'm grateful for Mario's contributions, but I'm also open to trying a different path forward. For the past several years I've chipped in ~$500 and I am not happy when I can't even record my workouts for a week at a time. It also kills any momentum we have in trying to build this place back up. The outage before this one we lost Benny161 and several other active participants. It's a bummer because this place is only fun if we have more people at each other's throats.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram »

Fat Cat wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:53 pm
Bram wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:17 pm This is the only place besides Facebook where I know anyone who believes in Q-Anon, I would hate to lose that!
Who?
Grandpa's Spells and Nafod, of course!
"An adventurer comes back and tells you what they did, while an explorer comes back and tells you what they learned."

Topic author
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

I was being serious. We had the whole Q thread and I can't remember anyone saying they believed it.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram »

Well, Benny at least thinks it's Flynn or some other government culprit at the beginning of that thread, I'm not into Q enough to read more than a few posts in there.

I'm going with Q is an internet troll.

But yeah this website goes down all the time, I'm just used to it I suppose.

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil »

I am trying to be more active again but when I went to post my workouts last week the site was down the 3 times I checked.

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil »

Also, I would be on here A LOT if I could access it by phone.

Topic author
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

Mickey O'neil wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:54 pm Also, I would be on here A LOT if I could access it by phone.
What do you mean, Mickey? I can access IGX on my phone...?

Topic author
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

Bram wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:14 pm Well, Benny at least thinks it's Flynn or some other government culprit at the beginning of that thread, I'm not into Q enough to read more than a few posts in there.

I'm going with Q is an internet troll.

But yeah this website goes down all the time, I'm just used to it I suppose.
Ya but benny was no more loopy than the rest of us, and he makes for good conversation and some very solid insults.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

Mickey O'neil wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:54 pm Also, I would be on here A LOT if I could access it by phone.
Works for me...the server seems to tailor it to a mobile platform too.
Don’t believe everything you think.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram »

Oh I like Benny, he's a good writer and funny and thoughtful (as are a lot of you here!).

Topic author
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

I agree, and the worst possible thing is if we all have the same perspective on things. Two of the reasons IGX could be way better than more modern social media platforms are:

1. No moderation.

2. Unlimited potential for conflict.

Schlegel

Post by Schlegel »

I know I'm not super active but I'd hate for the place to be gone.
However I don't know how to stop the gradual fading. All places lose a few from time to time and you need new voices to join the conversation.
"Why do we need a kitchen when we have a phone?"

Topic author
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

Schlegel wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:53 pm I know I'm not super active but I'd hate for the place to be gone.
However I don't know how to stop the gradual fading. All places lose a few from time to time and you need new voices to join the conversation.
This is precisely right, but some of the few new voices we have gotten have been lost in these constant outages. One step forward, two steps back.

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil »

Fat Cat wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:26 pm
What do you mean, Mickey? I can access IGX on my phone...?
It's a pain in the ass to navigate on my phone, imo.

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil »

nafod wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:07 pm
Works for me...the server seems to tailor it to a mobile platform too.
I'll give it another try.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram »

One thing that would help:

You have to login right now to look at anything beyond the Free Speech forum.

Getting rid of that security wall would be nice.

Topic author
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

Bram wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:03 pm One thing that would help:

You have to login right now to look at anything beyond the Free Speech forum.

Getting rid of that security wall would be nice.
I noticed the same thing. I have mixed feelings. I assumed Mario had done that to reduce the number of people that are using our bandwidth without contributing anything. While I'm not against letting people look, if it fucks up the usability for those who do sign in and participate, I support the security wall. Something to think about, I'm not the boss.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

I was thinking open it up, but ads for the non-payers.
Don’t believe everything you think.

Topic author
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

I'm amenable to that provided it doesn't make the website lag into oblivion.

Ronald RayGun

Post by Ronald RayGun »

I never said shit because I never paid shit.
"Sorry I didn't save the world, my friend. I was too busy building mine again" - Kendrick Lamar

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled »

Fat Cat wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:49 am
Schlegel wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:53 pm I know I'm not super active but I'd hate for the place to be gone.
This is precisely right, but some of the few new voices we have gotten have been lost in these constant outages. One step forward, two steps back.
This place obviously exploded in the Great Crossfit Wars starting ~2008, but I think I may be the last of that generation. Forums have been usurped by reddit, Twitter and people getting older and, to be honest, getting softer.

I mean, Timmah left us because he's gone soft. He can't stand to read someone call another a faggot, or discuss the effects jews have on society, let alone the enormous drag niggras have on the modern state. Whether you agree or not with any of the above, those topics flowed as easily as Cheesers money into useless fitness contraptions at one point.

If he can't take it, it's going to be tough to get fresh blood in here.
"Gentle in what you do, Firm in how you do it"
- Buck Brannaman