Anyone tear a hip labrum?

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Anyone tear a hip labrum?

Post by baffled »

Because I have.

In my "sports hernia" thread, I updated it noting that I finally got results showing what's caused the discomfort I've had for... 2 years or more now I think, being a torn hip labrum and a CAM lesion.

I'm having surgery for it, but not until February due to the surgeon's schedule and my Dad being sick, but that also gives me some time for a little conditioning to hopefully shorten the rehab time a little.

My surgeon and cousin with a PhD in Physical Therapy both recommended minimal impact like the stationary bike and general glute work. No deep squatting, but I forgot to ask about deadlifting, good mornings etc.

Anyone with experience or input?

Your Friend,
Baffled
"Gentle in what you do, Firm in how you do it"
- Buck Brannaman

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Re: Anyone tear a hip labrum?

Post by nafod »

You've been heard, Baff. Hope your labia repair goes well.
Don’t believe everything you think.

Topic author
baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled »

Thank you. The rejuvenation surgery is popular around here. Maybe I can get some bedazzling done at the same time?
- Buck Brannaman

riotboo

Post by riotboo »

I went to the doc thinking I had a torn labrum, turned out to be arthritis...I may still have a torn labrum but fixing it wouldn't fix the arthritis...

That said, here is what I can do while I'm deciding who gets to replace my hip:
Sled, prowler
highbar trap bar dls
deadifts with the bar raised about 2 to 3 inches
I do a lot of band work adductor and abductor
mountain biking is ok, road biking not so much
*high* box squats appear to be ok, but I haven't done them much.

A bunch of soft tissue work. I had a lot of lowback/hamstring inflammation from before I had my issue diagnosed. Getting that fixed was almost a separate issue from the hip stuff itself, but was certainly caused by compensation.

Mobility work as tolerated.

Not sure if this is helpful at all.

I Hope the bedazzling works for you. Please be sure to choose hypoallogenic metals.

Topic author
baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled »

Thanks for the input. According to the x-rays and MRI, the other tissues look clean and there isn't any indication of arthritis in that hip.

I was just told to make sure I get into the best shape I can be in, strengthen the glutes with Bridges and clam shell exercises, and avoid deep squatting and impact activities.

Biking and walking should be fine. The bike will be the first activity post surgery. 6 weeks of stationary biking followed by the elliptical, then treadmill running.
- Buck Brannaman

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge »

Baff, you should prolly chill on using the crane technique until post surgery. This is most likely why you've got the torn labrum. I wish you a drama free surgery and a speedy recovery my friend.

dead man walking
Sergeant Commanding

Post by dead man walking »

baffled wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:23 am strengthen the glutes with Bridges and clam shell exercises
you might try the side walk with resistance band.
Really Big Strong Guy: There are a plethora of psychopaths among us.

Alfred_E._Neuman
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Alfred_E._Neuman »

My wife's friend either tore the labrum or at least realized it was injured during the Leadville 100 a couple years ago. She finished, but severe hip pain afterward. Diagnosed with a torn labrum and had the requisite surgery.

She's a year out from getting cut now. I know her recovery was a slow process. Can run a bit now but mostly sticks to non impact stuff like riding. Don't know about any loss of mobility. If there's any specifics you'd like to know I can have my wife ask her.
I don't have a lot of experience with vampires, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once, but by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbor's dog.

riotboo

Post by riotboo »

dead man walking wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:58 pm
baffled wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:23 am strengthen the glutes with Bridges and clam shell exercises
you might try the side walk with resistance band.
this was part of my pt. also use the band with glute raises.

judobrian

Post by judobrian »

I was hoping for a torn labrum, but turns out I had worn down to bone on bone arthritis, ended up with hip resurfacing (instead of replacement). Agree with prep glute work, perhaps deadlifting off of pins to keep the posterior chain going without the stress on the hip capsule from dropping deep into position. Just my quasi-professional 3 cents worth.
Rain don't change the sun...

Topic author
baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled »

Shapecharge wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:21 pm Baff, you should prolly chill on using the crane technique until post surgery. This is most likely why you've got the torn labrum. I wish you a drama free surgery and a speedy recovery my friend.
Thanks shape. I've been working on my reflexes with some chop sticks and house flies, so I feel pretty sharp and dangerous, even without the crane in my arsenal.

Alfred, thanks. I'll think a little bit. I'm mainly trying to figure out what I can do in the next 12-15 weeks to hopefully aid the recovery.

Just - was thinking pulling off pins.

It's all weird and speaks to the power of the mind, that once I got the diagnosis, my hip started hurting more, and the groin started hurting a little bit less.
- Buck Brannaman

dstrucker79

Post by dstrucker79 »

I've had the same diagnosis and I had the surgery several years ago. However, the pain came back and has remained an persistent, but not overly major, issue. I finally found a good PT and he prescribed the band distractions recommended by Kelly Starret. These worked well for awhile, but if I stop doing them, the pain comes back.

I just hit on this site recently: https://www.thefaifix.com

It's pretty expensive, but I've been doing the tissue work in the free exercises and saw good results. I bought the program and just started yesterday. I'm hopeful because their claims align with my personal experience and the work they recommend is in line with the PT I saw who helped (I saw many PTs who didn't help and just recommended basic stretching, strengthening routines). The tissue work is a new angle.

I've been coming to this site for years looking for advice about this hip/groin pain but haven't found any real solutions or reviews of the above site or its creators. Wondering if anyone has experience with them (Matt Hsu or Shane Dowd). They have a lot of other programs on offer.

Topic author
baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled »

Thanks. I'll check that out. My PT options this time around will be total shit.
- Buck Brannaman