Daily default

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
motherjuggs&speed

Daily default

Post by motherjuggs&speed »

This may be the same old idea in a new wrapper but I thought of something today. Instead of focusing on setting goals, having self discipline, etc., I thought about my daily default, what I just do on a given day without thinking about it much. I used to ride a bike for transportation and also took long-ish MB rides regularly. I built skills and some cardio, not to mention staying lean, just by doing what I did every day. I improved in other areas as well the same way, by simply doing that thing regularly. Other things got neglected because my daily default setting is to neglect things.

So my thought is to program, not what I'd like my ideal day to be and telling myself I'll do that every day, but what my daily default should be. My realistic daily default, what I can actually do on days when I'm tired and am not feeling it at all. Of course people have their work that they do every day but I'm thinking of other daily defaults and replacing them with something better. Reading instead of watching videos. Reading more print books instead of ebooks. Making my online time (let's face it, not going to stop) enriching instead of aggravating and draining. Set it and forget it, essentially.

Maybe I'm being too optimistic, and my default of doing what I shouldn't do will manifest, but I think it's worth trying this way. Thoughts?

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Daily default

Post by Bram »

I think it's a great idea that you're going for.

The habit experts talk about making it as easy as possible. With reading, I try to always leave the house with three books I'm interested in. That way, if I find myself with down time, the books are right there.

With the internet, it's tough! It is incredibly easy to use. I try to leave my phone in the car every time I go to the gym or am at work. I have some other strategies, but they are only effective some of the time haha.
If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Dunn
Sergeant Commanding

Daily default

Post by Dunn »

I’ve fallen back on building what I call a “daily norm”. Whether it’s something like 50/50/50 of push-up/SQ/chins or maybe 10-15 mins of OALC or something. It’s something that can be done any day of the week with minimal warmup and mental effort.

It has saved me a few times when life is busy or I just don’t have enough will points to spend on making decisions. Same with doing 1 Duolingo lesson a day. It isn’t much, but just automating that time to do it saves me a few will points later in the day. It’s all minimal, but it adds up over time.

Spheroid_Physique
Corporal

Daily default

Post by Spheroid_Physique »

“Daily defaults” or “daily minimums” are a good way to ensure some amount of training (or skill development/self improvement/whatever) gets done. The difficulty lies in actually identifying that amount of effort small enough to feasibly accomplish no matter what, but large enough to actually stimulate progress or at least maintain previous gains.

Topic author
motherjuggs&speed

Daily default

Post by motherjuggs&speed »

For me, the main issue has been doing enough different things to keep gains. I'm often willing to do a fair bit of something, one specific thing, but doing different things, even different lifts, is an ask even on good days and not going to happen on tired days. What I think I need is a setup where I can bang out different exercises without much mental effort. I'm fortunate to be able to lift in my living room so I could set up a circuit of sorts there. I've gotten back into daily squatting so that's a start.

Luke

Daily default

Post by Luke »

I like your approach. By doing realistic, achievable things you build a momentum that might inspire greater actions - or not. You've still done things and hopefully not made yourself upset at not doing anything.

Dunn
Sergeant Commanding

Daily default

Post by Dunn »

That’s the rub. Trying to work out just how little of something is an effective dose for maintaining forward momentum. No ego can be involved or you will outkick your coverage.

I’m realizing that despite a 280 day streak of Duolingo, one lesson a day is not enough to ensure any progression. At this stage, I need a bit more so I’m going to try and increase it to 2 lessons and assess at the 365 mark.

Simple shit but I’m trying to build a system that benefits from my OCD and need to check boxes, but also allows for steady maintenance as a person that is inevitably getting older. Growth is good, I just don’t want to have to think about it much.

Spheroid_Physique
Corporal

Daily default

Post by Spheroid_Physique »

I think the converse is just as important: if circumstances force you to accept some minimum on most days, recognize your rare opportunities to go balls to the wall. Of course the danger in seizing an opportunity to push is that fatigue/burnout/injury may keep you from meeting even the previous minimum immediately following the “sprint.”

A solid approach to training (or learning or any other self-development) recognizes both a minimum and maximum volume limit and remains adaptable within them.