Harvey

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Harvey

Post by Turdacious »

Stay safe Texas lie-bitches.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Re: Harvey

Post by nafod »

Aren't some of you guys Houstonians? Stay out of the ditches...
Don’t believe everything you think.

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

Stay safe, Texans.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

Thud
Sgt. Major

Post by Thud »

He was asked by a reporter if he thought Texas's federal lawmakers -- like Republican U.S. Sens. Ted Cruz and John Cornyn, who asked Trump Friday for a major disaster declaration -- were hypocrites for opposing New Jersey's requests after Sandy.

"Absolutely. Sure," Christie, a Republican, said. "The congressional members in Texas are hypocrites and I said back in 2012 that they'd be proven to be hypocrites. It was just a matter of time."

Christie added: "When you're a state that has any kind of coastal exposure like Texas does to the gulf, you're going to wind up having some type of disaster that's going to ... (harm) the people of your state. Then all of a sudden, you're not gonna want a conversation of the philosophical niceties cause people are suffering and dying."

Nearly all of Texas's congressional delegation opposed Sandy aid relief. All but three of the people who opposed the measures are still in office.

Topic author
Turdacious
Lifetime IGer

Post by Turdacious »

Thud wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:06 am He was asked by a reporter if he thought Texas's federal lawmakers -- like Republican U.S. Sens. Ted Cruz and John Cornyn, who asked Trump Friday for a major disaster declaration -- were hypocrites for opposing New Jersey's requests after Sandy.

"Absolutely. Sure," Christie, a Republican, said. "The congressional members in Texas are hypocrites and I said back in 2012 that they'd be proven to be hypocrites. It was just a matter of time."

Christie added: "When you're a state that has any kind of coastal exposure like Texas does to the gulf, you're going to wind up having some type of disaster that's going to ... (harm) the people of your state. Then all of a sudden, you're not gonna want a conversation of the philosophical niceties cause people are suffering and dying."

Nearly all of Texas's congressional delegation opposed Sandy aid relief. All but three of the people who opposed the measures are still in office.
Not to defend Grandpa Munster too much here, but the entire flood insurance program is a disaster and both sides are to blame. One of his major points is that we needed to actually pay for Sandy relief, rather than taking out loans we never intend to pay back.
http://www.gao.gov/assets/690/684354.pdf
(See Figure 1 on page 8)
Not that Christie would ever use revenue gimmicks though.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

Thud
Sgt. Major

Post by Thud »

I don't think that was his point at all.

Topic author
Turdacious
Lifetime IGer

Post by Turdacious »

Thud wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:08 pm I don't think that was his point at all.
He wanted budget cuts to offset the costs, and didn't want other things added to the relief bill.

He's on to something with his instincts-- an underfunded flood insurance program is a disaster waiting to happen and the most likely solution (raising flood insurance rates to the point it's unaffordable to poorer people) is not a good solution either.

Thud
Sgt. Major

Post by Thud »

Stop putting words in his mouth, his point was quite clear.

bennyonesix
Sgt. Major

Post by bennyonesix »

What was his point in your opinion?

Thud
Sgt. Major

Post by Thud »

bennyonesix wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:22 pm What was his point in your opinion?
Uh, I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess it was this:

bennyonesix
Sgt. Major

Post by bennyonesix »

I honestly don't understand what you find offensive or irritating or problematic about that. He was saying I told you so dumbasses.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

Turdacious wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:11 pmHe's on to something with his instincts-- an underfunded flood insurance program is a disaster waiting to happen and the most likely solution (raising flood insurance rates to the point it's unaffordable to poorer people) is not a good solution either.
It's not that the insurance program is underfunded, it is offering the insurance to people living in places that will flood over and over. Just read an article that said 2% of insured use up 40% of insurance payments, with some having gone to the well 16-18 times.

This is Houston's 3rd 500 year flood in just a few years.

Topic author
Turdacious
Lifetime IGer

Post by Turdacious »

nafod wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:03 pm
Turdacious wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:11 pmHe's on to something with his instincts-- an underfunded flood insurance program is a disaster waiting to happen and the most likely solution (raising flood insurance rates to the point it's unaffordable to poorer people) is not a good solution either.
It's not that the insurance program is underfunded, it is offering the insurance to people living in places that will flood over and over. Just read an article that said 2% of insured use up 40% of insurance payments, with some having gone to the well 16-18 times.

It's not that simple. There's a big difference between a $1m house on the beach that regularly gets flooded out, and a shitty little house in a floodplain because that's all you can afford. A better solution would be insurance that is capped at the median house price for the larger area-- getting only $250k for your $1m beach house would change behavior.

Topic author
Turdacious
Lifetime IGer

Post by Turdacious »

Thud wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:19 pm Stop putting words in his mouth, his point was quite clear.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fac ... 6f57ce7ed7

And re Kessler's claim that there wasn't significant pork...
The President requested $32 million for Amtrak, while Senate-passed H.R. 1 would have provided $336 million. Amtrak has estimated that its property damage and business interruption
losses will be around $60 million; it has insurance to cover this, with a $10 million deductible, though it may be some time before the insurance claim can be settled. Amtrak has also identified
$276 million in mitigation and capacity-expanding activities for rail tunnels into New York City that it would like to undertake. The President’s request included language providing that federal funding should not be used to supplant insurance coverage for Amtrak’s damages. Senate-passed H.R. 1 would have provided Amtrak the entire sum ($60 million for repairs and $276 million for mitigation and improvements), with no language addressing the insurance issue. P.L. 113-2 provided $32 million for repairs and $86 million for recovery and resiliency projects in the affected area, a total of $118 million, which is more than requested by the President but considerably less than would have been provided by Senate-passed H.R. 1.
https://fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/R42869.pdf
Big difference between restoring an area and improving it. I expect Cruz to pork the Harvey relief bill up in the same way as Sandy was though.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

Turdacious wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:16 pm

It's not that simple. There's a big difference between a $1m house on the beach that regularly gets flooded out, and a shitty little house in a floodplain because that's all you can afford. A better solution would be insurance that is capped at the median house price for the larger area-- getting only $250k for your $1m beach house would change behavior.
I'm with you on the "pennies on the dollar" thing. But some places are just dumb to build on, and should not be insured by the rest of us.

Houston is a prime example. Houston's got some really relaxed zoning laws and zoning approval processes. Get that pesky old big government out of the way, and let people make their own choices. The result is that land that obviously serves as a floodplain gets built on, and water-absorbing wetlands get paved over.

If you look at a map of where it is actually flooded in Houston, it is not at all like the entire metropolitan area is under a uniform depth of 40" of water. The 500 year floodzones from this map are flooded, all of the white space (majority of town) is not. There's a big blob that is shown as flood zone that is behind those two dams, also.

No building, or building only up on piles in those flood zones, and the epic disaster becomes an transit ass pain until the water is gone.

My parents live on the Outer Banks and have dodged the bullet a number of times, so this is a topic I've kept an eye on.

Topic author
Turdacious
Lifetime IGer

Post by Turdacious »

nafod wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:36 pm
Turdacious wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:16 pm

I'm with you on the "pennies on the dollar" thing. But some places are just dumb to build on, and should not be insured by the rest of us.

Houston is a prime example. Houston's got some really relaxed zoning laws and zoning approval processes. Get that pesky old big government out of the way, and let people make their own choices. The result is that land that obviously serves as a floodplain gets built on, and water-absorbing wetlands get paved over.

If you look at a map of where it is actually flooded in Houston, it is not at all like the entire metropolitan area is under a uniform depth of 40" of water. The 500 year floodzones from this map are flooded, all of the white space (majority of town) is not. There's a big blob that is shown as flood zone that is behind those two dams, also.

No building, or building only up on piles in those flood zones, and the epic disaster becomes an transit ass pain until the water is gone.

My parents live on the Outer Banks and have dodged the bullet a number of times, so this is a topic I've kept an eye on.
That suggestion is far too reasonable to ever get put into practice.

Thud
Sgt. Major

Post by Thud »

bennyonesix wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:39 pm I honestly don't understand what you find offensive or irritating or problematic about that. He was saying I told you so dumbasses.

Of course, ya fucking nut job. I posted it at face value. A bombastic dumbass was calling out his own party for being dumbass, bombastic, hypocrites.

I'm not the one taking issue with the quote, I endorse it.

bennyonesix
Sgt. Major

Post by bennyonesix »

Oh.

powerlifter54
Sergeant Commanding

Post by powerlifter54 »

Pork is Pork.
"Start slowly, then ease off". Tortuga Golden Striders Running Club, Pensacola 1984.

"But even snake wrestling beats life in the cube, for me at least. In measured doses."-Lex

DrDonkeyLove
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DrDonkeyLove »

Have been out of TV news loop for a few days but saw some heartbreaking footage of poor...fat...old...very young...immigrant...people being rescued via Cajun Navy fishing boats today.

A few months ago my development suffered a reasonably windy 5 minute hail storm and the hail nuggets were small. 5%+/- of the homes now have new roofs and/or siding via their homeowners insurance and storm chasing contractors from out of state. Not a lot of hispanics around my area but some of the repair companies were fielding hispanic crews.

Am wondering about the impact of this event on everybody. What's going to happen to the price and availability of shingles, gutters, dry wall, carpet, flooring, etc. in the short to mid term? Houston is the 4th biggest city in the US and I imagine that lots of people will be taking advantage of this opportunity to update their homes for free even if damage was minor.

And, the work will never get done w/o an army of illegals to do it. Will Donny & Sessions look have la migra turn a blind eye to the illegals in the Home Depot parking lots in the Houston area for the next couple of years?

Where are the poor going to live? Ship them back to New Orleans?

Complicated stuff.
Mao wrote:Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party

bennyonesix
Sgt. Major

Post by bennyonesix »

Bullshit on needing an army of illegals. Unless you require a artificially depressed wage for workers.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

DrDonkeyLove wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:07 pm Have been out of TV news loop for a few days but saw some heartbreaking footage of poor...fat...old...very young...immigrant...people being rescued via Cajun Navy fishing boats today.

A few months ago my development suffered a reasonably windy 5 minute hail storm and the hail nuggets were small. 5%+/- of the homes now have new roofs and/or siding via their homeowners insurance and storm chasing contractors from out of state. Not a lot of hispanics around my area but some of the repair companies were fielding hispanic crews.

Am wondering about the impact of this event on everybody. What's going to happen to the price and availability of shingles, gutters, dry wall, carpet, flooring, etc. in the short to mid term? Houston is the 4th biggest city in the US and I imagine that lots of people will be taking advantage of this opportunity to update their homes for free even if damage was minor.

And, the work will never get done w/o an army of illegals to do it. Will Donny & Sessions look have la migra turn a blind eye to the illegals in the Home Depot parking lots in the Houston area for the next couple of years?

Where are the poor going to live? Ship them back to New Orleans?

Complicated stuff.
Supposedly Houston was already suffering a labor shortage on the low end of the pay scale. Same folks that are losing their homes en masse, without flood insurance. It will be complicated.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now »

First off, yeah, development in Houston ran roughshod over maintaining watersheds and wetlands.
Second, it's serious as fuck down here, even now, I'm waiting for the Brazos River to crest, and hope it doesn't flood my area.
Third, anybody here using this as some kind of fucking soapbox for pro Trump/anti Trump or whatever can fuck right off.

Some other shit: 500K cars will need to be replaced. Huge numbers of homes will need remediation, I don't even know how many. Billions of dollars in infrastructure repairs will be needed. Between FEMA and insurance companies, there isn't going to be anybody getting a free house upgrade here.

You can bet there are truckloads of illegals here to start getting the work done. Also, I imagine I am going to be putting in a lot of volunteer hours helping folks get back into their homes. There is an army of people down here ready to volunteer and help

DrDonkeyLove
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DrDonkeyLove »

Shafpocalypse Now wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:53 pm First off, yeah, development in Houston ran roughshod over maintaining watersheds and wetlands.
Second, it's serious as fuck down here, even now, I'm waiting for the Brazos River to crest, and hope it doesn't flood my area.
Third, anybody here using this as some kind of fucking soapbox for pro Trump/anti Trump or whatever can fuck right off.

Some other shit: 500K cars will need to be replaced. Huge numbers of homes will need remediation, I don't even know how many. Billions of dollars in infrastructure repairs will be needed. Between FEMA and insurance companies, there isn't going to be anybody getting a free house upgrade here.

You can bet there are truckloads of illegals here to start getting the work done. Also, I imagine I am going to be putting in a lot of volunteer hours helping folks get back into their homes. There is an army of people down here ready to volunteer and help
If ever there was a time & place for some kind of amnesty (maybe just temporary), this is it.

From a long distance away it looks like a well run, multi-racial, multi-ethnic effort that's inspirational in the midst of the chaos and tragedy.
Mao wrote:Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party

Thud
Sgt. Major

Post by Thud »

Shafpocalypse Now wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:53 pm Third, anybody here using this as some kind of fucking soapbox for pro Trump/anti Trump or whatever can fuck right off.
The only one mentioning Trump in this thread was you, and a reporter asking Christie if he thought your state's Senators where hypocrites for asking him for federal aid after denying the same after Sandy.

Relax, Shaf. The bleeding hearts weep for the good people of Texas. The bad ones, not so much.