So How Does Syria Play Out?

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
TomFurman
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TomFurman »

Chemical weapons, lions, tigers and bears, oh my.
Russia says to NOT interfere.
Conspiracy theorists would say that Saddam's WMD's were stashed in Syria with the help of Russian soldiers before the invasion. However Syria apparently had chemical weapons before that time.

I wonder,...
"There is only one God, and he doesn't dress like that". - - Captain America

DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Re: So How Does Syria Play Out?

Post by DARTH »

Syria had their own, but I bet the Russians helped as I know of a line of trucks going on from about the beginning of the sabre rattling, right up to the invasion. Saddam should have just let us look under his rugs if he had nothing to hide, as per the 91 Cease Fire Agreement we had every right to do as a (the) leading nation in the GW1 Coalition. The Russians were very edgy about the whole thing.

I've heard of deals with the Russians and GWB.

That said, they time to go in after those was in 03/04 right after Iraq and a a way to prod Iran's government and military but still have a chance to work with the opposition groups in Iran and get in with the youth.

Now? With the President we have? With who is mixed in with the Rebels?

FUCK NO!

Can't predict what Obama will do, but I don't see much short, mid or long term from it.

This heightens Iran's desire for nuclear weapons.

So far not so shabby and their missle program looks serious.

Fucking stupid.

"God forbid we tell the savages to go fuck themselves." Batboy

Pinky
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Pinky »

Badly.
"The biggest problems that we’re facing right now have to do with George Bush trying to bring more and more power into the executive branch and not go through Congress at all."

stanley_white
Gunny

Post by stanley_white »

I hope it lasts as long as possible and the U.S. pops some popcorn and watches while our enemies kill each other.

I am an isolationist. Wars of necessity only please.

-Stan

DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DARTH »

stanley_white wrote:I hope it lasts as long as possible and the U.S. pops some popcorn and watches while our enemies kill each other.

-Stan
As long as we stay the fuck out, I am with you and brining some beer.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

stanley_white wrote:I hope it lasts as long as possible and the U.S. pops some popcorn and watches while our enemies kill each other.
Assad showed the world (again) that using WMDs doesn't have to be the last act of a desperate man. One has to presume that if he does go down, it will be accompanied by far more clouds of Sarin Gas and maybe not just in Syria.

What you would then hope is that we could turn one of his underlings who is not so set on martyrdom, and have a backed coup in exchange for the WMDs.
Don’t believe everything you think.

DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DARTH »

nafod wrote:
What you would then hope is that we could turn one of his underlings who is not so set on martyrdom, and have a backed coup in exchange for the WMDs.
But that requires a level of competence and sophistication of thought, as well as puttinbg our intrest first that is beyond this administration's capabilities or wants.

buckethead
Sergeant Commanding

Post by buckethead »

I think we'll spend very little money and find a lasting peaceful solution

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TerryB »

The real question is, why is anyone in America worried about what's happening in Syria?
"Know that! & Know it deep you fucking loser!"

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled »

BucketHead wrote:I think we'll spend very little money and find a lasting peaceful solution
But of course. We've got a few extra dollars sitting around, so it's worth it to see if we can help to stop the bloodshed.

Best way I know how is to start launching cruise missiles.
"Gentle in what you do, Firm in how you do it"
- Buck Brannaman

Drew0786
Staff Sergeant

Post by Drew0786 »

protobuilder wrote:The real question is, why is anyone in America worried about what's happening in Syria?
Not as much as they are about Miley Cyrus.
Take care and please.....................stay safe.

climber511
Gunny

Post by climber511 »

Wouldn't it be nice to spend a little money rebuilding THIS country for a change?

Topic author
TomFurman
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TomFurman »

So will Obama get the same backlash for this war that Bush got for Iraq?
"There is only one God, and he doesn't dress like that". - - Captain America

Bob Wildes

Post by Bob Wildes »

TomFurman wrote:So will Obama get the same backlash for this war that Bush got for Iraq?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The smart money on that would be NO.
"Tell A.P. Hill he must come up."

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

TomFurman wrote:So will Obama get the same backlash for this war that Bush got for Iraq?
See Libya example. We'll use drones and missiles, along with using Allies. No monster invasion. We don't necessarily want regime change here. Just a good bitch-slapping for dipping into the WMD locker.

Pinky
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Pinky »

climber511 wrote:Wouldn't it be nice to spend a little money rebuilding THIS country for a change?
Haven't you heard? Building expensive shit in the U.S. and then blowing it up in foreign countries is great for the economy. Launching multimillion-dollar missiles into third-world shitholes is the fastest, most direct way to solve all of our problems.
"The biggest problems that we’re facing right now have to do with George Bush trying to bring more and more power into the executive branch and not go through Congress at all."

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled »

nafod wrote:
Assad showed the world (again) that using WMDs doesn't have to be the last act of a desperate man. One has to presume that if he does go down, it will be accompanied by far more clouds of Sarin Gas and maybe not just in Syria.

Stop posting.
- Buck Brannaman

SubClaw

Post by SubClaw »

protobuilder wrote:The real question is, why is anyone in America worried about what's happening in Syria?
Because Iran will be next and Syria has enormous strategic value.
You ever seen a cycling plumber who wrestles with small calves, forearms and neck? Didn't think so.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

baffled wrote:
nafod wrote:

Stop posting.
Best chance of Assad getting killed and no WMDs is if one of cohorts does it, knife in the back style. You against that?

The Ginger Beard Man
Sgt. Major

Post by The Ginger Beard Man »

Pinky wrote:
Badly.
Blaidd Drwg wrote:Disengage from the outcome and do work.
Jezzy Bell wrote:Use a fucking barbell, pansy.

The Ginger Beard Man
Sgt. Major

Post by The Ginger Beard Man »

http://takimag.com/article/congress_sho ... z2dCvooEgA
"The only thing we learn from history is that we do not learn from history."
Blaidd Drwg wrote:Disengage from the outcome and do work.
Jezzy Bell wrote:Use a fucking barbell, pansy.

Wild Bill
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Wild Bill »

In Russia nobody believes in that chemical attacs. I mean do not belives that state forces used it.
All talking about Iraq, when America used searching for weapons of mass destruction as cause to attack, but nothing was found.

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled »

nafod wrote:
baffled wrote:
nafod wrote:

Stop posting.
Best chance of Assad getting killed and no WMDs is if one of cohorts does it, knife in the back style. You against that?
I don't really give a shit one way or another. '

It's a civil war, it's ugly, and it's no business of ours trying to influence the outcome.
- Buck Brannaman

Wild Bill
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Wild Bill »

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

baffled wrote:
nafod wrote:
baffled wrote:
nafod wrote:

Stop posting.
I don't really give a shit one way or another. '

It's a civil war, it's ugly, and it's no business of ours trying to influence the outcome.
I just want to influence not getting a shipping container full of Sarin Gas let loose where there are Merkins. Hope is not a strategy.