how-to-make-a-bug-out-bag-your-72-hour-emergency-evacuation-survival-kit/

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
lenny
Staff Sergeant

how-to-make-a-bug-out-bag-your-72-hour-emergency-evacuation-survival-kit/

Post by lenny »

Discuss
http://www.artofmanliness.com/2011/03/0 ... vival-kit/
From the article. You can almost certainly guarantee that in an evacuation emergency there will be chaos and disorder. Events of this magnitude inevitably overwhelm normal police and public safety measures–at least for a short time. History tells us that rioting, looting, rape, and violent crimes will occur.
That doesn't happen in Israel. We're at our best during times of war and natural disaster. People who hate each other all year long band together to help those in need.

Alfred_E._Neuman
Sergeant Commanding

Re: how-to-make-a-bug-out-bag-your-72-hour-emergency-evacuation-survival-kit/

Post by Alfred_E._Neuman »

Haven't gotten around to reading the AoM post yet, but looking at recent hurricane and wildfire evacuation situations I think a bicycle and the fitness to ride it should be on any bug out list if you live in a city.
If Atlanta got an evac order or a panic hit and people tried to leave, there's no way in fuck you'd get out by car once the roads clogged. Getting on a bike and having the ability to cruise a a good clip past the carnage will be the difference between getting out and sitting in your car until you're forced to abandon it and walk. Go fast enough that by the time someone thinks about taking your bike, you're past them. Be ready to shoot to keep it. But use a bike an maybe a trailer like a BoB to GTFO while others are sitting still.
I don't have a lot of experience with vampires, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once, but by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbor's dog.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now »

Funny, didn't happen in Houston during the massive evacuations and flooding either. What did happen is people started helping other people even when their situation wasn't great.

Alfred had an interesting point, at one time our neighborhood was put under a mandatory evacuation order, however, there were only a few ways out of the area, and there were 1000s of people trying to leave, and routes kept flooding and closing, so, we figured out our houses elevation, we looked at the river's projected rate of rising, and we looked at the resources we had available and we decided to stay.

After the storms subsided, the river was still rising, the evac order was still in place, and looters started to infiltrate the neighborhood because it was all over the television news that it was evacuated, so a neighborhood patrol formed (keep in mind this neighborhood is the biggest master planned community in the country, some 8000 houses) and started working hand in hand with the sheriff's deputy patrols and prevented about incursions by folks looking to smash into a house and grab stuff.

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious »

As a guy all you really need is a knife, some water, a way to purify water, a flashlight, external batteries for your phone, some cash, and maybe a woobie.

For a family it's different-- a couple cans full of gas, a full sized spare tire, and a couple weeks worth of necessary hygiene supplies (diapers, wet wipes, feminine hygiene, etc...) have got to be on the list.

The real experts in this are at UNHCR, the UN agency that deals with refugees. They've seen every kind of human misery and have dealing with it pretty standardized. The SPHERE handbook is excellent: https://emergency.unhcr.org/entry/60137 ... r-standard
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

tonkadtx
Staff Sergeant

Post by tonkadtx »

Funny, didn't happen in Houston during the massive evacuations and flooding either. What did happen is people started helping other people even when their situation wasn't great.

Alfred had an interesting point, at one time our neighborhood was put under a mandatory evacuation order, however, there were only a few ways out of the area, and there were 1000s of people trying to leave, and routes kept flooding and closing, so, we figured out our houses elevation, we looked at the river's projected rate of rising, and we looked at the resources we had available and we decided to stay.

After the storms subsided, the river was still rising, the evac order was still in place, and looters started to infiltrate the neighborhood because it was all over the television news that it was evacuated, so a neighborhood patrol formed (keep in mind this neighborhood is the biggest master planned community in the country, some 8000 houses) and started working hand in hand with the sheriff's deputy patrols and prevented about incursions by folks looking to smash into a house and grab stuff.
This.

I always figured that unless there was some diiiiire reason to evacuate, like the flood waters are going to put you under water or the wildfires are coming, it might be better to hunker down in place.For exactly the reasons you mentioned. Even worse, I live on an Island, a huge one, but still... I have plenty of supplies and the means to defend them.

New York was very well behaved during two blackouts in the last decade or so, but things were getting very chippy during Sandy when there was no gas and the power was out for weeks in some neighborhoods.