idiot lenny's indo board pushup failure

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
lenny
Staff Sergeant

Post by lenny »

This is really embarrassing and a failure but it's ok to laugh at me. As somebody on this board once posted, "Nobody gives a shit about your lifting." Nobody gives a shit about my Indo Board pushups. What happened to all those guys like Wild Gorilla Man, Kaz, Batboy, Saigh (a female supposedly,) Beer Jew, Fat Cat and a few others whose names elude me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFN-mhaKSZc

If I had a client my age, who wanted to do this and told me he hadn't been on one in 5 years and hadn't done this for 12, I'd have said, "Not with me (motherfucker)!"
Like Dan John says, "If you train yourself, you have an idiot for a client." I follow other people's training programs and have rules about when to increase the weight, reps etc..

Decided to try this and got freaked out and felt physically cold all of a sudden. I did two sets of ring rows to warm up and made a first attempt with special wrist guards that slid all over the floor. I couldn't get back up but was really surprised how easy it was to balance on this thing.
Didn't wait long enough for attempt #2. There wasn't a #3. Didn't help that I was hungry, tired but there are no excuses for Indo Board pushup failures. It used to be very easy to do this. As you can see and hear, I'm really struggling.

I consider it a failure and really embarrassing because
(a) the deck touched the ground on the way down
(b) it took forever to get back up
(c) I didn't stand up long enough at the end.
If I wait another 12 years, I'll be very surprised I'll be here to do it.

Now here's a guy who really can do it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjL4-bj04B8
In my generation, a Bodhisattva was a term for an enlightened being who reincarnated to alleviate suffering not a bank robbing surfer in a Hollywood movie. YMMV KMMV

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram »

“He’s a modern savage. He’s a real searcher.”

Point Break is too good lol

Nice indo squatty push-up thing, never even thought about trying that. And the world needs more happy dances =D>
"An adventurer comes back and tells you what they did, while an explorer comes back and tells you what they learned."

Ronald RayGun

Post by Ronald RayGun »

Yeah, I guess I've been doing my Indo Board pushups backwards this entire time. I'll have to give your version a go.
"Sorry I didn't save the world, my friend. I was too busy building mine again" - Kendrick Lamar

Topic author
lenny
Staff Sergeant

Post by lenny »

Ronald RayGun
I used to do a version with my hands on an upside down BOSU ball and my feet on the Indo Board and then reverse it. I doubt my back was aligned all that well, but I don't know for sure since I never videoed it. If I get bored with the ring pushups maybe I'll do it that way again.

motherjuggs&speed

Post by motherjuggs&speed »

You realize you can delete those extra posts, right?

Oh, and Bodhi did alleviate suffering. He gave hope to the tired, the poor, the huddled masses yearning to breathe free.

Topic author
lenny
Staff Sergeant

Post by lenny »

I fucked around and found out how to delete them. He alleviated some of mine, the umpteen times I've watched it.

tough old man
Sergeant Commanding

Post by tough old man »

It was a good attempt. Nothing wrong with that. Youll have it in a week of practice.
"I am the author of my own misfortune, I don't need a ghost writer" - Ian Dury

"Legio mihi nomen est, quia multi sumus."

Topic author
lenny
Staff Sergeant

Post by lenny »

Tough Old Man
Thanks for the comment. At this point, it takes too much out of me to do it unless I have the urge. I keep having to remember that Dan John said the goal is to keep the goal the goal. My goals at the age of 73 are to skateboard, surf, do krav maga, and for general health. This was a trick thing. I got very frightened before getting on the board, not having been on it for five years, that I'd fall flat on my face. I was surprised how easy it was to stand on it.

I honestly think anyone my age who skateboards is an idiot, but I can do it and in some ways am better than I was when I started in my mid 20s. In those years, I don't think I even wore a helmet. Now I have a lot of pads. I fell off a different board in February and was lucky nothing broke. I won't heal very quickly if I break something. I get much colder than I ever did. There are a lot of changes in my body that are not fun or easy to deal with. That's my reality. I never had a problem sleeping when I was younger. Now I do. I don't recover anywhere near as well as I used to.

After having written all that and a 40 minute cardio workout, on too little sleep, no food at around mid day, I tried again twice. I stood up both times and balanced well, but couldn’t even get into the pushup position. I fell on the second attempt. I rolled off OK and didn’t get injured. It was stupid to have done it on so little so energy, but it’s OK. At least, I can laugh about it. I suppose I will keep trying.