So ... Jeet Kune Do

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Ronald RayGun

So ... Jeet Kune Do

Post by Ronald RayGun »

What's up with that?
"Sorry I didn't save the world, my friend. I was too busy building mine again" - Kendrick Lamar

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

So ... Jeet Kune Do

Post by Bram »

A higher chance of bullshit than some arts, a lower chance than others. All martial arts have the potential though.

This is a general observation. If you want to study any art, go watch a class and see how the teacher works. Is he a douche? Does he give helpful feedback? Does he play favorites? Is there a general level of competency in the students?
If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Topic author
Ronald RayGun

So ... Jeet Kune Do

Post by Ronald RayGun »

My only observation of Jeet Kune Do is that it varies WILDLY from instructor to instructor. Just thought I'd bring it up 'round these parts & see if I couldn't stand to glean a thing or two. This shit is wide open. Let me hear your experiences.
"Sorry I didn't save the world, my friend. I was too busy building mine again" - Kendrick Lamar

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

So ... Jeet Kune Do

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

Without the crucible of competition, fraud runs rampant especially for stuff coming out of Asia. Jigoro Kano doesn't get enough credit.

Not the biggest sample size, but I've never met a JKD guy who could protect his head, unless he was also a boxer. At that point is the boxing that's protecting him, not the JKD.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

j-cubed
Gunny

So ... Jeet Kune Do

Post by j-cubed »

Like any martial art, it's more about the instructor than it is the art.

The Jeet Kune Do I've seen, mostly from a few Dan Inosanto seminars, or people under him, moves a lot like Panantuken (Filipino empty handed arts), but then again Dan Inosanto teaches that as well.
I have to say to his credit, Dan Inosanto has been a lifelong martial artist, and back then at those seminars he was getting up and starting his day learning/practicing BJJ before doing all his other martial arts, and this when he was in his late 70's. I wish to move that well if I make it that long.