Mayweather vs McGregor

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Mayweather vs McGregor

Post by Shapecharge »

Assuming this is a legit thing and not some marketing bullshit and it can actually happen...does McGregor even stand a chance in just a pure boxing match with 10/12 oz gloves? Am I missing something here?

bennyonesix
Sgt. Major

Re: Mayweather vs McGregor

Post by bennyonesix »

Zero chance. I will put every penny I can spare on floyd no matter the odds. Every penny. My largest bet ever. I have qlso bet on floyd to win no matter the odds his last 12 or so fights. Won a lot of money.

Google Floyd Mayweather and jumping rope and you'll see why. He has the feet to match any fighter ever and that is murderous.

Topic author
Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge »

It seems outrageously disrespectful of Mayweather's talents that McGregor thinks he can compete with him in a hands only boxing match. I am a McGregor fan but this is just stupid.

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

Even minor changes in combat sport rules affect outcomes bigly. MMA-to-boxing is not minor. Any MMA fighter fighting under boxing rules against a world-class boxer will die.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

bennyonesix
Sgt. Major

Post by bennyonesix »

He made Canelo look foolish and that dude is a brutally tough fighter. This potato negro will have to eat 4 shots to land one glancing blow and he doesn't bring half the ass Canelo does. KO in the second from a left hook.

https://youtu.be/cmSsx2tcfSI

tonkadtx
Staff Sergeant

Post by tonkadtx »

I agree with everything that has been said here. Props to him for getting the payday if the numbers being bandied about are true. If he really thinks he can compete in a straight up boxing match with one of the best p4p fighters of the last 50 years, he's fucking delusional. Floyd is going to take his soul.

Kenny X
Sgt. Major

Post by Kenny X »

LOL That poor gypsie is gonna get his clock cleaned. No disrespect to Conor, that's just what's gonna happen.

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious »

Dana's having trouble signing fights for the top guys he has who know what they're worth (McGregor, Diaz, Diaz, and GSP). Floyd would require a whole new level of wallet unclenching-- Floyd v. McGregor would result in two guys getting tuned up.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

dead man walking
Sergeant Commanding

Post by dead man walking »

mcgregor will lose, but he'll win.

lotsa money, and floyd doesn't punish his opponents.

well, maybe gatti got beat up a little, but gatti always got beat up.

so floyd either sticks and moves for awhile, and then puts mcgregor to sleep (a la ricky hatton) or he decides to sit down on his punches early, and mcgregor makes his millions for 7-8 minutes of work.

fuck me. where do i get a gig like that?
Really Big Strong Guy: There are a plethora of psychopaths among us.

Herv100
Sgt. Major

Post by Herv100 »

My first thought was that Floyd might actually brutally beat someone like the Gatti fight, which is like a decade ago.

Fuck it, I'll watch the spectacle.

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno »

Why get punished for UFC chump change, when you can take one beatdown for many millions?
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

W.B. Yeats

Herv100
Sgt. Major

Post by Herv100 »

Still don't think Dana will let it happen.

bennyonesix
Sgt. Major

Post by bennyonesix »

Good point. It will make UFC look terrible to a lot of people.

Fuzzy Dunlop

Post by Fuzzy Dunlop »

connor has 4 fights left w/ UFC and Dana aint letting him outta that. no reason to ever go back to UFC after a $50 mln payday.
Ed Zachary wrote:Best meat rub ever is Jergen's.

Kenny X
Sgt. Major

Post by Kenny X »

Fuzzy Dunlop wrote:connor has 4 fights left w/ UFC and Dana aint letting him outta that. no reason to ever go back to UFC after a $50 mln payday.

There is nobody on this earth I wouldn't fight for 50 million dollars.

There is nobody on this earth who'd pay a nickel to watch the old boy Kenny X fight, though.

And therein lies the rub.

This understanding applies to all things.

Kazuya Mishima
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

bennyonesix wrote:potato negro
=D> =D> =D>

SubClaw

Post by SubClaw »

Kenny X wrote:There is nobody on this earth I wouldn't fight for 50 million dollars.
Are you REALLY sure about that?

You ever seen a cycling plumber who wrestles with small calves, forearms and neck? Didn't think so.

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

I'm pretty surprised this got put together. $$$,$$$,$$$ aside, McGregor is putting his MMA career at risk with the beating he will take. His people are not looking out for him.

Payout is 1:11 right now? McGregor is something like 2% likely to pull this out, and will is reasonably likely to never touch Floyd.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer

Post by Turdacious »

Grandpa's Spells wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:32 pm I'm pretty surprised this got put together. $$$,$$$,$$$ aside, McGregor is putting his MMA career at risk with the beating he will take. His people are not looking out for him.
McGregor can retire after this fight and there really aren't that many MMA fights that will give him the payday he wants. The one taking the big risk is the UFC. McGregor aside, their most marketable stars are nearing the end of their careers (Cormier, Silva, and Bisping), unstable/unreliable (Cyborg, Jones, and Khabib), or only willing to fight for big paydays (Diaz brothers and GSP).
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno »

Turdacious wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:52 pm
Grandpa's Spells wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:32 pm I'm pretty surprised this got put together. $$$,$$$,$$$ aside, McGregor is putting his MMA career at risk with the beating he will take. His people are not looking out for him.
McGregor can retire after this fight and there really aren't that many MMA fights that will give him the payday he wants. The one taking the big risk is the UFC. McGregor aside, their most marketable stars are nearing the end of their careers (Cormier, Silva, and Bisping), unstable/unreliable (Cyborg, Jones, and Khabib), or only willing to fight for big paydays (Diaz brothers and GSP).
^^^Yes.

Besides, if McGregor is getting beat too bad, he can always give up his back for an RNC, like he did in the first Diaz fight.
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

W.B. Yeats

Topic author
Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge »

Interesting commentary from Teddy Atlas on the subject. Well worth the listen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_DHYpgixcM

Tried to embed the video but it's not working.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

Shapecharge wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:12 pm Interesting commentary from Teddy Atlas on the subject. Well worth the listen.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_DHYpgixcM[/youtube]

Tried to embed the video but it's not working.
Dicks blocked linking it, I bet.
Don’t believe everything you think.

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled »

Turdacious wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:52 pm
McGregor's people are looking out for him. He may be able to make that mo~$50illion if he kept fighting in the UFC, but it would have taken him multiple fights to accomplish. And that's if he managed to get there at all.

I think he's hinted at some concerns over head trauma in combat sports... maybe after that guy died a year or so ago in Ireland? If he's concerned about that and trying to maximize his earning potential, then he'll go in there with Mayweather, make tens of millions, and be able to stop or at least know the money will be there for his boy and girlfriend should he get hurt (hopefully not).

re: UFC/Dana White. McGregor's a headache, even if he does earn a ton of money for the promotion. If you're not sure that he'll keep fighting, or if he does, that he'll abide by the terms of his contract, then why not cash him out here and get the payout for the company, too?

I'm sure the UFC will be listed as a co-promoter in name only but will get a solid 7 figures for basically laning out their fighter and doing little to no work.

If he shocks the world and pulls off the biggest sporting upset of all time, then great. If he gets worked over, then he'll be the guy who challenged the greatest boxer of a generation on his turn and lost but got paid many millions of dollars.
"Gentle in what you do, Firm in how you do it"
- Buck Brannaman

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer

Post by Turdacious »

In the four major sports that have unions, the revenue split is approximately 50/50 whereas the UFC, which has no union, has an inequitable share of the pie.
http://profighters.org/#revenue

Not making a pro or anti union stance here, but using this to point out that professional sports agents see the margins, are signing top drawing talent, and forcing the UFC to both pay fighters more and take more risk as a promoter. The Fertitta brothers got out at the right time.

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Maybe I'm missing something, but I am not sure people are factoring in the degree of mismatch this is. He will likely accumulate several times the amount of head trauma in this bout than he would fighting another 6 years in the UFC. Roy Jones beat a lot of good boxers into a fucking pulp in the 90's, and Floyd will have a much, much easier time. Refs and corners do not always step in, especially in huge bouts.

$100M to be a mush-mouthed potato with increased risk of Parkinson's is not a good trade when you have another route to a shitload of money.