MLB and Balls article making the rounds

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Bennyonesix1

Post by Bennyonesix1 »

Pro-sports are dumb but I still follow baseball and tennis. They're also fake af and mostly rigged by Owners. If not at the individual play level (it often is), then at the coaching and refereeing and equipment level. Anywag, MLB has near total kniwledge of what balls get used where and when and uses three and the use appears to be non-random. The players know as well.

https://www.insider.com/mlb-used-two-ba ... rd-2022-12

motherjuggs&speed

Post by motherjuggs&speed »

That article was so bad it hurt to read it. Manfred should learn to lie better, but he's always been slimy.

Bonds is the GOAT, like it or not (I don't). 73 is the record, and no one seems to remember or care that there was no testing then, thus by definition no cheating, which is a joke anyway.

The less interested I am in sports, the easier it is to see more layers of corruption. But I'm still only 6 or 7 layers into it. I suspect a lot more but I find I'd rather not know a lot of things that I kind of do know.

Topic author
Bennyonesix1

Post by Bennyonesix1 »

Looking back I think Barry fell to the "pigs get fat but hogs get slaughtered" rule.

Or was too much like Daedalus. People were fine with McGwire and Sosa. Probably a lot of reasons. They were both kinda lurches and it was a little bit of a "fair fight" since there were two of them. And they seemed still human with the strikeouts and visible limitations.

But Barry was a HOF slam dunk before he took the needle. And then he went supra-human. McGwire and Sosa never challenged the demi-gods of baseball like Ruth and Williams and Musial and DiMaggio. Bonds made Williams look like Carlos Beltran. And Barry didn't become more of what he was: a lean five tool near perfect ballplayer. He became monstrous physically. He was the baseball anti-christ. And he did it when he was old. Total upset of the natural order.

Topic author
Bennyonesix1

Post by Bennyonesix1 »

I'm not even bothered that the balls are so variable. Or even that they are intentionally variable. I look forward to the electronic umpires. I used to think I was a traditionalist (whatever that means) but now I just think I was frustrated at how stupid the changes were every damn time. Now I see that the stupidity was intentional at least to the extent all good options were denied leaving only various bad ones to choose from. This is system wide and not just baseball.

I mean you can't have free-riding billionaires shamelessly leveraging their privileges and positions and expect the system to work. The ones who are "normal" in such a system are going to try and find a way to achieve their "normal" ends and that means doing fucked up Rube Goldberg shit like extreme shifts and maximal pitching changes (thanks Bochy!). These are pretty much downstream of paying only for HRs which I'd argue is a necessary effect of the system as currently constructed. But perhaps not.