New England Journal of Medicine: Masks Offer No Protection

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

New England Journal of Medicine: Masks Offer No Protection

Post by Fat Cat »

We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection. Public health authorities define a significant exposure to Covid-19 as face-to-face contact within 6 feet with a patient with symptomatic Covid-19 that is sustained for at least a few minutes (and some say more than 10 minutes or even 30 minutes). The chance of catching Covid-19 from a passing interaction in a public space is therefore minimal. In many cases, the desire for widespread masking is a reflexive reaction to anxiety over the pandemic.

Michael Klompas, M.D., M.P.H.,
Charles A. Morris, M.D., M.P.H.,
Julia Sinclair, M.B.A.,
Madelyn Pearson, D.N.P., R.N.,
and Erica S. Shenoy, M.D., Ph.D.

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMp2006372
"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen

Alfred_E._Neuman
Sergeant Commanding

Re: New England Journal of Medicine: Masks Offer No Protection

Post by Alfred_E._Neuman »

Wait, you're saying I *shouldn't* be wearing my mask when driving alone in my car? Or out for a walk in my neighborhood where I never encounter a single soul closer than 20'? Now I feel like a dumbass.
I don't have a lot of experience with vampires, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once, but by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbor's dog.

Schlegel

Post by Schlegel »

I am getting less worried as time goes on. We have them mandated at work. In a hospital. Right now I'm on a lake beach, sans mask. Nearest family is 50 ft away.
"Why do we need a kitchen when we have a phone?"

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

Fat Cat wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 7:20 pm We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection. Public health authorities define a significant exposure to Covid-19 as face-to-face contact within 6 feet with a patient with symptomatic Covid-19 that is sustained for at least a few minutes (and some say more than 10 minutes or even 30 minutes).
So in a bar or restaurant or church or sporting event or other places in close sustained proximity they make sense.

But not walking through the mall or outdoors.

Title of your thread is misleading.
Don’t believe everything you think.

Topic author
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

Are you stupid or something?

it's a paraphrase of the quoted sentence: "Wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection."
"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

Fat Cat wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 8:37 pm Are you stupid or something?

it's a paraphrase of the quoted sentence: "Wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection."
They said. The chance of catching Covid-19 from a passing interaction in a public space is therefore minimal.

Sitting next to some asymptomatic but contagious loud blathering drunk in a bar (or cheering fan at a ball game) for an hour is not a "passing interaction". Might as well drink from the same glass at that point.

Topic author
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

nafod wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 8:52 pm
Fat Cat wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 8:37 pm Are you stupid or something?

They said. The chance of catching Covid-19 from a passing interaction in a public space is therefore minimal.

Sitting next to some asymptomatic but contagious loud blathering drunk in a bar (or cheering fan at a ball game) for an hour is not a "passing interaction". Might as well drink from the same glass at that point.
That has nothing to do with the accuracy of my title, which was a direct paraphrase. When you contribute informative threads, you title them as you please.

newguy
Sgt. Major

Post by newguy »

But I thought the rational wasn't that the keep me from catching but more they keep me from spreading it?

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

https://science.sciencemag.org/content/ ... ce.abc6197
Respiratory infections occur through the transmission of virus-containing droplets (>5 to 10 μm) and aerosols (≤5 μm) exhaled from infected overweight Hawaiians during breathing, speaking, coughing, and sneezing. Traditional respiratory disease control measures are designed to reduce transmission by droplets produced in the sneezes and coughs of infected individuals. However, a large proportion of the spread of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) appears to be occurring through airborne transmission of aerosols produced by asymptomatic individuals during breathing and speaking (1–3). Aerosols can accumulate, remain infectious in indoor air for hours, and be easily inhaled deep into the lungs. For society to resume, measures designed to reduce aerosol transmission must be implemented, including universal masking and regular, widespread testing to identify and isolate infected asymptomatic individuals.