9/10 ppl I have spoken to who like electric cars think energy is made by battery

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Bennyonesix1

9/10 ppl I have spoken to who like electric cars think energy is made by battery

Post by Bennyonesix1 »

THIS IS NOT AN ARGUMENT FOR OR AGAINST ELECTRIC VEHICLES

I have noticed that 90% of ppl I have talked to and either own or like electric vehicles think the battery makes the energy. Or some other battery somewhere makes the energy they put in their batteries.

I don't know what to make of this. They can't really think this because they charge it. But they really do seem to. They have no conception of how things work.

I do not expect them to understand battery tech. That's hard. Or electric motor characteristics. Or even energy delivery grids.

Disclosure: I like the idea. I think it is premature right now bc batteries. And unworkable absent comprehensive nuclear power industry. But I dig it. I also like gas cars and diesel cars. And Wankel engines.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram »

Benny, I don’t know if you watched Planet of the Humans, but thought of that documentary while reading your post.

Did a little searching and found this:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidrvett ... 885530464d

It’s a long read, and it seems like you have a better understanding of renewables than me, but perhaps it’s in the same vein?
"An adventurer comes back and tells you what they did, while an explorer comes back and tells you what they learned."

Topic author
Bennyonesix1

Post by Bennyonesix1 »

The Moore film was dumb and disingenuous. That article was too. IN MY OPINION.

Malthusianism is cruel and ahistorical and I personally disregard anyone who uses it. It's the language of people who live off the work of others. It's the language of Financiers and usurers.

Same with people who use "fossil fuels" unironically. It's pure propaganda meant to deceive. Oil may be abiotic or abiogenic or something else. Whatever it is, it is not from "fossils". Just think about it. Fossils? It's preposterous. The term is meant to be a black box ppl who think they are smarter than you can put whatever be they want into while keeping you thinking it means the same thing it always did. The concept " fossil" (in this context) has changed radically over time but the word "fossil" has been kept to trigger the instinct that "we're gonna run out because fossils are finite!".

Both sides of this debate are lying to us. Both sides point out the lies of the other and double down on their own lies.

The " renewable types" really are dupes of Finance Capital. Finance Capital really does want to deindustrialize the planet. To be more precise, the process of deindustrialization is where they "profit" most and exert the most power. It's not necessary, but I personally believe there is a very small transnational elite behind Finance Capital using it as a tool to return the world to early late 1700's technology. But maybe not. The move toward decentralization is not anywhere close to outpacing industrial collapse. Look at CA and TX. It's a pipe dream rn. There will be no singularity. There is no way "designers" can "design" some decentralized grid that works in an industrial system rapidly collapsing. Assuming they aren't incompetent (they are), whatever they can make work today can't be built tomorrow because of the collapse.

The coal and gas and oil industries mistakenly think nuclear power is a threat and want to keep the world in 1950's level energy tech where they are king. They also don't want to spend money maintaining the social cohesion necessary for industrial activity. Because they are greedy. Yes, they have killed ppl and oppress 3rd world nations. Yes, they have opposed nuclear power. Yes, they bought out the environmentalists in the 70's.

One side wants deindustrialization. One side wants stagnation.

Personally I think we have to harness nuclear energy technologically and socially before we can move on to more efficient energy sources. We have to re-industrialize drastically here in the US. And hang the Financiers and the Oil CEOs.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram »

Thanks for taking your time to look at that article!

You’ve clearly read and thought a lot about this subject — do you think there’s actionable, impactful, steps for the layperson to take? Or is it all at the macro-level with embracing nuclear power, shifting economic priorities, and punishing the worst offenders?
"An adventurer comes back and tells you what they did, while an explorer comes back and tells you what they learned."

Topic author
Bennyonesix1

Post by Bennyonesix1 »

I think individual decision-making about personal actions are largely irrelevant right now. Even if everyone acts at a huge scale. There's really no connection between individual economic and social activity and legislation or corporate behavior. Some would argue there never has been, maybe so idk, but there surely isn't now.

Take "hollywood" for example. The creative choices are totally divorced from any desire to please audiences or even maximize viewership. Whoever is in charge does not care about making money by traditional means. This is the same for almost every industry. They are proudly unresponsive to your personal preferences.

I refuse to watch the media. But I don't think it has any effect and wouldn't if everybody else did the same. I do it for me.

So, yeah, I think the systemic incentives are unresponsive to our desires and actions. Or, the people in charge of the Institutions that set incentives and decentives are unresponsive. Anything one thinks is a good decision is coincidence. Whatever ones ideology (I don't have one) or preferences. The ppl in charge hate (really) all of us.

I just pray every night that some group of people richer and smarter than me who share a large part of my values decides to say "fuck it. Enough. I'm taking control.".

In the meantime, I just look after my soul so I go to Heaven. And try and turn difficulties into good things.

PS. I like what I have seen of you here. But honestly, if the ppl I want in charge were in charge you would be freaked out hahahahahba. At the same time, I could live under your regime, so I will let you be in charge.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram »

Benny,

In 60’s Europe, men were legally able to rape their wives and women weren’t allowed to open bank accounts. In our lives, we’ve had a black president, and gay marriage and pot has been legalized.

These are big changes! It wasn’t the people at the top deciding to do this out of the goodness of their hearts, it was enough pressure from ordinary people. So there should be hope that more good will come in the times ahead.

As for Hollywood, yeah lots of shit sucks and is banal. But in the last year I watched “The Alpinist” and “Cyberpunk: Edgerunners” and both were kickass.

motherjuggs&speed

Post by motherjuggs&speed »

In 60’s Europe, men were legally able to rape their wives and women weren’t allowed to open bank accounts. In our lives, we’ve had a black president, and gay marriage and pot has been legalized.
More signs of societal decline.

j-cubed
Gunny

Post by j-cubed »

Not terribly surprising. They are also the same people that have no idea what is under the hood and how it works. Those people at least are enlightened enough to know they need gas, but have no idea where it comes from or how it's made.

Topic author
Bennyonesix1

Post by Bennyonesix1 »

j-cubed wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 8:37 pm Not terribly surprising. They are also the same people that have no idea what is under the hood and how it works. Those people at least are enlightened enough to know they need gas, but have no idea where it comes from or how it's made.
Fair point. True.