Sauna research

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

vern

Re: Sauna research

Post by vern »

Yeah, that's good stuff Smet. I picked up a used copy of Aaland's book of few years back.

The Sauna Book by Johnson and Miller from 1977 is a really good one too if you can score it cheap.

BTW, those Russians know how to sauna on the fly!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kfW5XBvZ6U[/youtube]
“Wherever the crowd goes, run the other direction. They’re always wrong.” Bukowski

Bobby
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bobby »

If I am lucky I`ll work at a train depot on tuesday to thursday where they have a great sauna.If so,I`ll use on all 3 days after work (with cold showers).
You`ll toughen up.Unless you have a serious medical condition commonly refered to as
"being a pussy".

milosz

Post by milosz »

Anyone tried one of the IR tent/sleeping bag 'saunas'? I'd like one of the personal saunas but I don't even have space for a 4x6 footprint right now.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now »

I can just sit in my attic for the sauna effect now. Woohoo.

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma »

I take sauna more or less every weekend. Yesterday I decided to check my body temperature during the process. First go - just sitting in the dry heat (only 60 degrees Celsius) for 45 minutes. Temperature at the end - 38.9 degrees. Next three stints - water on the rocks and serious whisking. Temperature - 41.0, 41.4 and 40 degrees Celsius.

I remember how Rhonda Patrick's podcast on sauna made me smile. She was trying to quantify everything and interrogated the Finnish researcher with questions that for him were clearly naive. Such as, what about doing hot-cold, is that dangerous for health? One of the things she tried to get is the temperature of the sauna and the duration to get the health effect. The answer at the time I think was 70 degrees Celsius for 20 minutes. I think it misses many other variables - how many times you go in, the amount of water you splash on the rocks, whisks or not etc. As one Finnish guy I work with said, in proper sauna, the Finnish way you have to be a little scared for your life.

In any case, health or not, sauna feels damn nice. I sleep like a baby after a good sauna evening.